Housekeeping a few more signings

Still waiting on the other shoe to drop with Pietrangelo to Vegas and Nate Schmidt to be moved out to Florida? Columbus? for cap room. That didnt happen today but here are a few things that did.

Janmark left the stars for the Hawks as did the incredibly underrated Lucas Wallmark. In spite of averaging only 12 minutes a night with the Canes he always has about a dozen goals and unlike most kids he is a damn good faceoff guy. Janmark has 46 goals in the first 4 years of his career in limited ice time, fantastic P/K guy who will fit in nicely. Rumor is the Hawks veteran core is upset because of the perceived rebuild, but these two players are flat out steals for the money.

The Avalanche continue to load up their deep talented team, adding Devon Toews from the Isles for a pair of second rounders. The Isles were trying to find someone to take Boychuk but when that fialed were forced to move Toews to free money to resign Barzal. Great add for the 'Lanche and a nice package for the Isles in return.

Jimmy Vesey to the Leafs to replace the departed Andreas Johnson. Vesey is a 15-17 goal a year 3rd liner, not good enough for the power play and cannot kill penalties but 5 on 5 as a 15 minute a night guy he isnt bad.

Brad Richardson, a fifty year veteran (or so it seems) has signed on with the Predators as a P/K killing 4th liner who can sneak a goal past you a few times a year as well.

Cory Schneider according to Lebrun has signed with the Islanders reuniting with Lou Lamoriello. I havent found anything official on it but Lebrun is right more often than not. 

Gustafsson to the Flyers is saved for another thread. He had the one huge year then he didnt do much the following year. He is a nice replacement for Niskanen.

Thats about it for today unless i missed something.

Ryan Graves re-upping with the Avalanche is big.
'Lanche have lots of offensive talent, but they sure didn't want to lose a guy like Graves who plays a grittier game, is underrated in generating offense, hits, and is just a generally solid defenseman.
3yrs at a 3.1M AAV.....very good for a d-man of his ilk.

And not that it was a surprise or anything, but the Rangers officially signed Alex Lafreniere to an NHL contract.
Looks like its the max ELC deal for a player of his calibur and draft standing.... 3yrs, 925K AAV.

Further down the ladder, the Lightning re-sign Ben Thomas, a 24 year old defenseman who has been toiling away in their minor league system since they got him. Does he finally crack the big club with all the possible movement still going on due to TB's cap situation?
Maybe...maybe not. Personally, I'd like to see if Callan Foote is ready, but we will see.
Thomas gets a modest, show me contract of just a year, but it pays him 700K whether he plays in the NHL or the minors.

And, AP (he should get his own thread) officially signs with the Vegas Knights.
7 years, at a 8.8M AAV.

• Like 1

Schmidt to Vancouver for a third, Vancouver taking on the entire remaining 4 years at 5.9 million. Solid replacement for the departed Tanev.

Austin Czarnik has left the Flames bottom six to take on the same role with the Isles. Nice hard working little guy will split time between the big team, the press box and the AHL. 

Patrick Marleau.
Signs a one year $700K contract with the Sharks.

Long time Shark....then he isn't a Shark, he is a Leaf.
But wait, then he is a Penguin.

No, no...we had it right the FIRST time... he is a Shark.
🎵Doo. doo. doo. doo. 🎵 

babyshark.jpg.8f50e2e18a0fcfe738ddba5e7da77484.jpg

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Pens have signed Dell to a one year 800k contract

31 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

didnt ser that one. nice veteran add

Actually guys, the term and salary are correct....however, the signing team is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Seems he was brought in to push Jack Campbell for the backup job behind Freddy Andersen....or perhaps to BE a tandem with Campbell in the event the Leafs move Andersen as has been rumored earlier in the off season.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2020/10/13/maple-leafs-sign-goaltender-aaron-dell-to-one-year-deal.html

4 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

This is what happens when you post on no sleep

Meh...it happens.
I've posted stuff that, after reading what I put, hurried to take it down before some forum police wise-apple gives me a citation for "misinforming the public"  😄

Allen with a 2-yr/$2.9M AAV extension for the Habs. I was expecting way worse from them given their latest awful signings but it still makes Montréal the team with the most expensive goaltenders. For a squad that will only fight for a play-off spot, that stinks and no prospects seem to be visible at that position yet.

Jumbo Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs on a one year 700K deal.

https://www.nhl.com/news/joe-thornton-signing-update-news-status/c-319289334?tid=281072352

First Marleau, then Thornton.
Looks like Sharks players approach or over 40 will always have a place to play in the great North East, eh? 😄

@J0e Th0rnton
What do you make of that?
Jumbo Joe really think the Leafs are ready to win one this coming year?

And if seeing Marleau in blue n white wasn't bad enough, how bad is seeing Thornton in that same outfit? 
If its any consolation, I might know how you feel and I sorta vomited a bit when I saw Vinny Lecavalier wear the Orange n Black (no offense to my Flyer friends here), so there is that... :bigteeth:

But yea....Thornton to the Leafs....after bailing out on the Swiss team he was supposed to have signed with...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Honestly I didn't see the sharks giving him another contract, it'll be interesting to see how they utilise him over at Toronto. 

To be fair in regards to the Swiss team he was playing for free

Well, perhaps....but think of all the marketing he blew up.

I mean, he coulda had a Swiss shoe deal for chrissakes... :ph34r:

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Jumbo Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs on a one year 700K deal.

https://www.nhl.com/news/joe-thornton-signing-update-news-status/c-319289334?tid=281072352

First Marleau, then Thornton.
Looks like Sharks players approach or over 40 will always have a place to play in the great North East, eh? 😄

@J0e Th0rnton
What do you make of that?
Jumbo Joe really think the Leafs are ready to win one this coming year?

And if seeing Marleau in blue n white wasn't bad enough, how bad is seeing Thornton in that same outfit? 
If its any consolation, I might know how you feel and I sorta vomited a bit when I saw Vinny Lecavalier wear the Orange n Black (no offense to my Flyer friends here), so there is that... :bigteeth:

But yea....Thornton to the Leafs....after bailing out on the Swiss team he was supposed to have signed with...

I was at Scotiabank center clearing the crease during a commercial break for the moose when someone dropped the news to me.

NÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

and then the moose lost 5-0

• Haha 1

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

Best case scenario, leafs miss playoffs and sell him back to the sharks for a 7th

Atta boy...positive thinking! :bigteeth:
Unfortunately for me, I didn't have that luxury with VLC and the Flyers...hah.

Also, and off topic, and not gonna take a bunch of space here doing it, but hope you and your family, especially your adorable twins are doing fine these days.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:02 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Atta boy...positive thinking! :bigteeth:
Unfortunately for me, I didn't have that luxury with VLC and the Flyers...hah.

Also, and off topic, and not gonna take a bunch of space here doing it, but hope you and your family, especially your adorable twins are doing fine these days.

Things are well at home thanks. Hope you and the family are doing well too!

Game https://imgur.com/gallery/UKpy4vB

Thats me in the behind the net shot wearing blue as Bobby Orr scored a shootout goal last night lol.

I think I ended up on tv a few times

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, J0e Th0rnton said:

I was at Scotiabank center clearing the crease during a commercial break for the moose when someone dropped the news to me.

NÒOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

and then the moose lost 5-0

Welcome to Toronto!  Now you need to update your forum avatar to Leafs blue and white and post in the Leafs section for the entirety of next season as punishment lol.  :) 

In other news, the Leafs signed Alexander Mogilny for the second power play unit to play alongside Joe Thornton!   :bigteeth:

On 10/16/2020 at 7:33 PM, Puck_Pun said:

Honestly I didn't see the sharks giving him another contract, it'll be interesting to see how they utilise him over at Toronto. 

I think it'll be a historical footnote. A trivia question for future hockey fans. Thornton will retire as a Leafs player, without ever having played a game for the Leafs, because there won't be a 2020-21 season. 

Whatever happens, the sharks will sign him on a 1-day contract to give him the opportunity to retire as a Shark.

This reminds me Guy Lafleur. Technically, his last club was the North Stars when they selected him on the Expansion draft that followed the dispersal draft made to unmerge the Seals/Barons part of the franchise, leading to the Sharks inception in the NHL.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 11:14 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Welcome to Toronto!  Now you need to update your forum avatar to Leafs blue and white and post in the Leafs section for the entirety of next season as punishment lol.  :) 

In other news, the Leafs signed Alexander Mogilny for the second power play unit to play alongside Joe Thornton!   :bigteeth:

He is kind of the stereotypical leafs signing. 10 years past his prime, had surgery on a different knee 2 consecutive years and is over 40.

in hindsight, I should have seen this coming

• Like 1