I'm leaning toward no trade

Guest Phillygrump

I wouldn't mind Gleason and gill on d. For picks only or ahl player. Nothing else. We are not winning the cup thus year anyways.

I don't see them improving the team a whole lot. Gleason would help, but at what cost. I wouldn't trade a 1st for something I don't really need at this stage.

With Pronger the Flyers had the best defenseman in the league. No Cup! Bobby Orr with Bryzo in goal wouldn't get the Flyers a cup. Cooter is the best thing to come along in a long time,Homer need to keep all first round picks! Webber or Suter haven't done it for the Preds and the won't do it for the Flyers!!!!!!!!

I'd like Gleason also, BUT I think I'd rather take a chance on a guy who can really take over as our #1-2 dman after Timo leaves after next season. If Pronger doesn't return, we're going to be hurting a little bit on D. I think Coburn is going to blossom into a pretty nice #2 guy but Weber would keep our defense respectable for quite a few years.

Every year I feel like this is the one for the Cup. Realistically I can see a Cup this year is a long shot. With that in mind I say keep the yutes and don't give up the farm and work on Bryz's play and phsyce. With a lot of Bob in between.

I understand this. However, Bourque is a hall of famer, and never won a cup with Boston. Would you have not traded for him in the prime of his career simply because he "never did it" for Boston?

He also contributed 59 points in his last season, plus 10 more in the playoffs when they won the Cup. So it's not like he was just along for the ride in his final season.

Bourque was at the end of his career and requested a trade to a contender.

he's saying that bourque was with boston for like 837 years and having him never got them a cup.

i have to agree with him, the effect of one player gets overstated quite a bit in these discussions. an ace goalie can make a team, a 100+ point guy can make a team, but i really don't think a single defender, no matter how good, puts anyone over the top. offensively, even the highest scoring dmen aren't contributing as much as second tier forwards (a 60 point dman is amazing, a 60 point forward not so much). defensively, it's nice to have a rock on the blueline, but the biggest minute eating dman is still only on the ice half the game at most. he won't make much of a difference if the bottom pair are terrible.

i dunno. having a pronger/weber/lidstrom/chara back there is nice, and worth a good amount...but it doesn't solve all problems. seems to me making sure you have confidence in #1 through 6 is more important than focusing just on the #1. a solid dcorp top to bottom doesn't need a worldbeater at the top.

edit: ok, maybe i misinterpreted what AJ was saying. still, the impact a weber would have on the team is being overstated, imo.

Edited by aziz

Would you have not traded for him in the prime of his career simply because he "never did it" for Boston?

No, I'm not sure if we disagree here. I disagree with Q (about not trading for Suter or Weber because they haven't gotten it done), but then I pretty much always do.

he's saying that bourque was with boston for like 837 years and having him never got them a cup.

i have to agree with him, the effect of one player gets overstated quite a bit in these discussions. an ace goalie can make a team, a 100+ point guy can make a team, but i really don't think a single defender, no matter how good, puts anyone over the top. offensively, even the highest scoring dmen aren't contributing as much as second tier forwards (a 60 point dman is amazing, a 60 point forward not so much). defensively, it's nice to have a rock on the blueline, but the biggest minute eating dman is still only on the ice half the game at most. he won't make much of a difference if the bottom pair are terrible.

i dunno. having a pronger/weber/lidstrom/chara back there is nice, and worth a good amount...but it doesn't solve all problems. seems to me making sure you have confidence in #1 through 6 is more important than focusing just on the #1. a solid dcorp top to bottom doesn't need a worldbeater at the top.

edit: ok, maybe i misinterpreted what AJ was saying. still, the impact a weber would have on the team is being overstated, imo.

Boston wins zero cups since expansion without Orr and Chara. Detroit same thing without Lidstrom. Philly made the finals cause Pronger had one more great year left in him. Sure a defenceman doesn't do it on his own, but Weber would sure solidify our D. More than anyone would IMO.

@flyercanuck

i can't speak to orr, because i wasn't around to see him. thomas won that cup for boston, though. minus tim thomas and chara is another great defenseman on a good team with no cup wins since 1972. chara helped, but thomas was the difference. lindstrom helped, but look at the cast he had around him.

weber would solidy our D more than any single other person, sure, but i question the overall impact a single person can have, outside of a brick wall goaltender or a monster scoring machine. as i said, i think the effect is overstated.

weber would solidy our D more than any single other person, sure, but i question the overall impact a single person can have, outside of a brick wall goaltender or a monster scoring machine. as i said, i think the effect is overstated.

I agree. However, bringing Weber in is something that solidifies the team this year and for the foreseeable future. Given some of the issues in net, I wouldn't go for a rental player. But a guy like Weber, who's in his prime.. Even if you don't win this year, you have years ahead that he helps with.