Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

Dying for some Flyers hockey?

Flyers on TV - - it's finally here!

In 3 days - Sunday Dec 20 - on the NHL Network. 

(I can subscribe to NHL Network for $10/mo, so it's worth $10 to see all 28 games.)

Meltzer reported - 

World Junior Championships Coverage

NHL Network will carry live broadcasts of all 28 games of the 2020-21 World Junior Championships in Edmonton, including every pre-tournament game. 

Team USA, featuring Flyers prospects Cam York and Bobby Brink, will play an exhibition game on Sunday (Dec. 20) against Switzerland at 6 p.m. ET. There will also be an exhibition game against Finland next Tuesday (Dec. 22) at 6 p.m. ET.

Team USA's preliminary round-robin slate starts next Friday on Christmas Day against Russia at 9:30 p.m. ET. That will be following the next day with a game against underdog Austria (same start time) and then matches with the Czech Republic (2 p.m. ET) on Tues. Dec. 29 and Sweden on New Year's Eve (9:30 p.m. ET). Team Sweden features Flyers 2020 second-round pick Emil Andrae.

The medal round quarterfinal game will be on Sat. Jan. 2. The semis are Mon. Jan. 4 and both the bronze medal (5:30 p.m.) and gold medal (9:30 p.m.) games are on Tue. Jan. 5. Additionally:

* NHL Network, on Christmas Eve Day, starting at 10 a.m. ET, there will be a marathon of Team USA gold-medal winning games at the WJC, featuring the 2010 (6-5 overtime win against Canada), 2013 (3-1 win over Sweden), and 2017 (5-4 shootout win over Canada in Montreal) gold medal games.

The 2010 gold medal game featured future Flyer Brayden Schenn (then an LA Kings prospect) on the Canada side. The 2013 game had Shayne Gostisbehere on Team USA and Robert Hägg on Team Sweden. The 2017 game had Carter Hart in goal for Canada and Tanner Laczysnki on the fourth line for Team USA. Hart went 3-for-4 in stopping shootout attempts but Troy Terry's goal in the third round stood as the winner. Terry had previously scored three times in the Americans' shootout win over Russia in the quarterfinal.

* At 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve, NHL Network will have a 2020-21 World Junior Championship preview show.

cut.jpg

• Like 1

Good news this afternoon (Dec 18, 2020) - 

Big-time sleeper in Flyers' system signs his entry-level contract

42M AGO
BY JORDAN HALL
FLYERS

Mason Millman, a fleet-skating, puck-moving defenseman in the Flyers' system, is set up for his last hurrah at the junior hockey level before turning pro.

The Flyers on Friday signed the 2019 fourth-round draft pick to his three-year entry-level contract. In 2020-21, the 19-year-old will play his final season with the OHL's Saginaw Spirit, who drafted Millman during the seventh round of the 15-round 2017 OHL draft and have seen impressive development from the blueliner.

The OHL is looking to start its season in February and Saginaw is coming off a 41-16-5 campaign in 2019-20. Millman was a plus-31 (fifth best among OHL defensemen) with 44 points (13 goals, 31 assists) in 58 games for that club.

"It is a true testament to a player’s hard work combined with the focus on development from the Saginaw Spirit coaching staff to achieve this goal," Saginaw general manager Dave Drinkill said to NBC Sports Philadelphia on Friday. "We take great pride in the environment and program we have created here in Saginaw, one that allows players like Mason to develop on and off the ice and to allow them to reach their dreams of being NHL players. We couldn’t be more happy for Mason and the Millman family as they have been a huge part of the culture we have here with the Spirit."

Millman looks like a sleeper in the Flyers' prospect pool because he was the third defenseman taken by the club in that 2019 draft and the organization has its share of blue-line prospects, led by Cam York and Egor Zamula.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Millman recently took part in Canada's selection camp for the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship but did not make the team. He is a smooth skater who pushes the puck with speed and controlled pace. Defensively, he's smart in his own end and getting stronger.

Our Flyers are deep in quality defencemen prospects.

Flyers Defence Depth Chart:

Ivan Provorov
Travis Sanheim
Philippe Myers (RH)
Erik Gustafsson
Justin Braun (RH)
Robert Hagg
Mark Friedman (RH)
Shayne Gostisbehere

Sam Morin

Prospects:

Egor Zamula
Cameron York
Wyatte Wylie (RH)
Linus Hogberg
Emil Andrae
Ronald Attard (RH)
Mason Millman
Adam Ginning
John St. Ivany (RH)
Valeri Vasilyev

Mason Millman: The Flyers best under the radar prospect

By Stephen Frank 
Philadelphia Sports Nation
Posted on 2 weeks ago

During the 2019/20 season, Millman quadrupled his goal total from the previous season and ultimately accumulated 44 points (13 G, 31 A) in 58 games. His 0.759 points per game ranked in 14th among OHL defensemen and 4th among 18-year-old defensemen. 

The left-shotted defenseman from London, Ontario quickly became the best defenseman on the Saginaw Spirit and one of the better defensemen in the entire Ontario Hockey League. The performance that Millman put up during the shortened 2019/2020 season was good enough for him to get selected to the 2021 Team Canada World Junior selection camp.

One of the aspects of Millman’s game that separates him from his peers is his ability to lay down nasty hits to the opposition. A look at some of Saginaw’s games from last season shows that Millman wasn’t afraid to lay down hits when the situation called for it. Which is impressive since he’s only 19 years old, and measures in at 6’1 and 176 lbs. 

His game is really reminiscent of Edmonton Oilers defenseman Tyson Barrie, who has similar defensive skills, and puck-moving ability. Both defensemen also have similar frames and the ability to snipe the puck between the pipes from the blue line.

[Millman will] start the 2021/22 season with the Phantoms. In the next couple of years, the Phantoms look to be stacked with one of the deepest Flyers prospect pools we’ve seen in a while so it will be interesting to see how he develops in the AHL.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-05-at-10.23.33-PM.pn

Watching Team USA vs Team Finland tonight (12/22/20) on the NHL Network here in the US. Don't know if it's on TSN in Canada?

Team USA is on a Power Play. The Flyers Cam York and Bobby Brink are on the 1st Power Play unit.

Article today (12/23/20) at 'SI | The Hockey News' on the World Junior Tourney.

Last night, our Flyers Cam York (D) and Bobby Brink (RW) were impressive in the win vs Finland in the pre-Tourney game (TV - NHL Network and TSN).

As we know, the Tourney starts on Dec 25, and the NHL Network will broadcast all the Team USA games. TSN in Canada will broadcast all the Tourney games.

Dying for some Flyers hockey? Well we can root for the 3 Flyers players:

- York and Brink for Team USA

- Emil Andre (D) for Team Sweden

Flyers goalie Kiriil Ustimenko was a final cut from Team Russia.

Go Flyers !!

Article:

The World Junior Championship starts this week, with the best teens on the planet competing for gold.

Excerpts:

The World Junior Championship starts on Christmas Day and if you ask a Canadian, there are few greater things in life.

For regular readers of The Hockey News, the world juniors are well-known. But for casual hockey fans in the U.S., it may be more of an unknown. If you're in the latter camp, consider this a primer. If you're in the former, consider this a celebration, eh?

Canada will be watching from home. During last year's gold-medal final in the Czech Republic between Canada and archrival Russia, nearly nine million Canadians watched at least part of the game - so basically one-quarter of the country.

And what about the United States, you ask? While Canada and Russia are always favorites to win, the Americans are just a slight tier below.

Along with Team USA, Canada and Russia, the major players in today's world juniors are Sweden and Finland. The Swedes haven't lost a round-robin game in about a decade, yet the program has only won gold twice (2012 and 1981). The Finns on the other hand, usually come into the tournament as underdogs, but often with bite: they've won three of the past seven gold medals.

While the Czechs are often interesting, they haven't won a medal since 2005 or gold since 2001. Slovakia and Switzerland can beat bad teams, but usually struggle in the playoffs.

Despite the circumstances, the 2021 world juniors will feature high drama, emotional teenagers and some nail-biting games that rival any Stanley Cup final.

Cam York & Bobby Brink make Team USA for World Junior Sunmer-Showcase |  DeliverPhilly4

@Zzeke

watched some of the warmup game vs Finland.

Brink looked really smart and tenacious, seems to know where the play is going and gets himself in a position to disrupt on the forecheck and I thought he had nice hands in the tight spaces. 

York is very smooth, never looked out of position or rushed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Poconono said:

I still wish they had drafted Caufield when they had the chance.

It was an interesting Draft day.

They passed on Caufield at No. 11 overall. Instead, they traded down three spots in the first round — and again passed on the high-scoring Caufield. Instead, they selected York, a dynamic, promising, defenseman, at No. 14.

The sting of not selecting Caufield was lessened when Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher moved up 11 spots in a trade with Nashville and nabbed Brink, a gifted right winger, in the second round (No. 34 overall).

It's like 2 for 1. Kinda.

image.jpeg.3d888ffb3c976137fb871ed432150f61.jpeg

Maybe.  But I've always been of the opinion that you take the best player available.  I've heard and read a lot more about the potential of Caufield than those other two guys.  And considering the depth the Flyers seem to think they already have on the blueline and the lack of a legit scorer in the system, I really question their thinking on that decision.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Maybe.  But I've always been of the opinion that you take the best player available.  I've heard and read a lot more about the potential of Caufield than those other two guys.  And considering the depth the Flyers seem to think they already have on the blueline and the lack of a legit scorer in the system, I really question their thinking on that decision.

Valid points Poconono.

Wish we knew details of GM/AGM/Staff thinking when they set-up for the Draft.

(They know a lot more than we do and are much more qualified. Although, we as fans like to look back and criticize them - - often unfairly.)

Regarding BPA. Some GMs set up players in brackets for the Draft. An example may be 6 players in Bracket 1. When that team is 'on the clock', if 3 players are remaining in their Bracket 1, they will select from that bracket based on 'need' as they look ahead at their prospect depth chart.

They would not look at their Bracket 2. So, in that sense, they are selecting BPA by not jumping brackets. It's 'BPA' and 'need' together.

I assume that Caufields' size at 5'-7" was not a factor in the Flyers decision. The NHL has some excellent diminutive players. And, Brink is only 5'-8".

We will see how Caufield, York, and Brink develop into/as NHL players over the next 3 seasons.

Thinking about York - - the 'new era NHL' approach to the defence corps - - multiple defencemen who are very mobile, fast/quick, puck-moving out of the D-zone, join-the-rush, and can put up solid offensive numbers (in addition to being competent defensively). We now have 4 of these:

Provorov

Gustafsson (will probably be re-signed after the Expansion Draft - - cool planing by Fletcher)

Sanheim

Myers

As Zamula and York emerge, our Flyers may be on the NHL leading edge of defence mobility and skill:

2022-23 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula
#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH)

Dynamic 6-man defence.

I like what we read about Brink and York - - for example:

Bobby Brink RW
SCOUTING REPORT
A quick, shifty forward who is quite heady, he has a deadly shot and excellent hockey sense (he knows where to go to score goals). Despite a lack of size and strength, he goes to the tough areas of the ice willingly in order to score. While his heart is big, and he is both feisty and gritty, he will always have to prove himself against bigger opponents as he climbs the ladder. Long Range Potential: Diminutive but smart, sharpshooting winger with good upside.

Cameron York D

SCOUTING REPORT
An excellent skater with a very smooth stride, he is adept at joining the rush and putting up points. He also displays very good hockey sense, and he defends his position rather well. Lacks size and strength, so he needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger for the highest level. His quickness and hockey savvy make him a constant threat in transition. Long Range Potential: Swift-skating, talented defenseman with upside.

BOBBY BRINK 2020 USA WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS HOCKEY CARD

NCHC All-Conference Teams

• Cam York will be the captain for Team USA at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. 

The Philadelphia Flyers chose York 14th overall in the 2019 NHL Draft. He has two goals and five assists in eight games with the University of Michigan during his sophomore season in 2020-21. Cole Caufield (Montreal) and Alex Turcotte (Los Angeles) will serve as alternate captains. 

SOURCE: USA Hockey
    Dec 24, 2020, 4:36 PM ET

CAM YORK 2020 USA WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS HOCKEY CARD

Edited by Zzeke

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Regarding BPA. Some GMs set up players in brackets for the Draft. An example may be 6 players in Bracket 1. When that team is 'on the clock', if 3 players are remaining in their Bracket 1, they will select from that bracket based on 'need' as they look ahead at their prospect depth chart.

They would not look at their Bracket 2. So, in that sense, they are selecting BPA by not jumping brackets. It's 'BPA' and 'need' together.

I typed 'brackets'. But, the appropriate term is 'tiers'.

The world economic pyramid; tier 4 is the Base of the Pyramid (BOP).... |  Download Scientific Diagram      Tier 1: Highest Rated Players, Tier 2: Next Lower Rated, etc

And sooo, it begins - - 

Tomorrow night, Christmas night, after we all are burnt-out from a long Christmas day, we can sit down in front of our TV and watch some Flyers - 

2021 IIHF World Junior Championship: 

United States at Russia on 12/25/2020 9:30 PM ET, From Rogers Place, Edmonton

TV in the US: NHL Network

TV in Canada: TSN

NHL Network Schedule:

https://www.nhl.com/info/nhl-network-wjc-schedule

Flyers players on Team USA - - Defenceman Cam York #4 (Captain), and RW Bobby Brink #24, will play prominent roles as this team has a shot at the Gold Medal.

Should be fun.

image.jpeg.050c48073bcec0a8bdef3f40f310facc.jpeg

Edited by Zzeke

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

York snags player of the game....

I think he joins the Phantoms for the 2021-22 season.

In a sequence shortly after the York goal, Bobby Brink just missed a goal at the right post. I remember thinking - - Wow, first 2 goals for Team USA are from our 2 Flyers players (prospects).

But, it wasn't to be and then the game changed - - - 

Did anyone here watch Game #1 last night.

Tonight is Game #2 - - Team USA vs Austria at 9:30 PM ET on the NHL Network and TSN in Canada.

cut.jpg

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know he had a goal (he just threw a shot on net that Askarov flubbed) and an assist (a 4 foot pass to Zegras at the blueline) but he also watched his man score 3 goals. I'm pretty sure he's got better games than that. i'm not sure how many games he's played in this year...I know most of the CHL guys are playing their first games this season now. Rust will be a huge factor early.

I think you're right on him going to the Phantoms though.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Thx for posting that OR.

Also - - 

• Defenseman Cam York scored once and added an assist in a 5-3 loss to Russia.

York, who was named captain of the American side on Thursday, played 22:49 on the blueline and was a minus-two. The 14th pick in the 2019 Draft, York is a dynamic offensive talent as he has outstanding vision, decision making and passing skills, something every NHL team can use. He is currently playing at Michigan where he had two goals and three assists in eight games, before leaving for the World Junior Championships.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:18 AM ET

Tonight's game should be fun.

Edited by Zzeke

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

he also watched his man score 3 goals.

Well that is sad to read sounds like his training with JVR this offseason rubbed off...

...i kid...no it is sad however he like many two way defenseman has a lot to learn when it comes with defending.

In fact Sanheim and Myers still have a ways to go too when it comes to playing in their own end.

Once he gets to the Phantoms and the competition level goes up i also expect his skill level to continue to climb as well.

Development isn't always in a straight line as you know. It is good to have him in the fold none the less.

• Like 1

It's 3:30 PM ET Tuesday 12/29.

Intermission after the 2nd period Between Team USA and Team Czech Republic. 3-0

Our Flyers RW Bobby Brink has 2 goals - - and will be going for a hat trick.

Game on the NFL Network in the US and TSN in Canada.

Edited by Zzeke

15 hours ago, Zzeke said:

It's 3:30 PM ET Tuesday 12/29.

Intermission after the 2nd period Between Team USA and Team Czech Republic. 3-0

Our Flyers RW Bobby Brink has 2 goals - - and will be going for a hat trick.

Game on the NFL Network in the US and TSN in Canada.

Maybe Chuckles has struck gold...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe Chuckles has struck gold...

When I watch these goals I think an "uglier" version of Jake Guentzel.

Just a guy that is always around the play and goes to where he can score or make something happen.

I do wonder how goals like the first one work with NHL sized d-men,  I also think, that guy he's tangled up with in is an NHL sized d-man...seems like he could be a useful NHL player.

37 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

When I watch these goals I think an "uglier" version of Jake Guentzel.

Just a guy that is always around the play and goes to where he can score or make something happen.

I do wonder how goals like the first one work with NHL sized d-men,  I also think, that guy he's tangled up with in is an NHL sized d-man...seems like he could be a useful NHL player.

Yes.

And always hard to call what will translate to the NHL but I have to think the good ones adapt to say a size issue...need to find another way to counter. Some will some won't.

Cream always rises to the top...

KIRILL USTIMENKO
G, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Kirill Ustimenko will be sidelined for approximately four-to-five months after he underwent surgery on his hip. 

Ustimenko required the procedure to repair a torn labrum. He appeared in just two games with HC Gomel of the Belarusian Extraliga during his loan arrangement. The 21-year-old netminder spent most of the 2019-20 season in the ECHL.  

SOURCE: Philadelphia Flyers on Twitter
Dec 31, 2020, 12:23 PM ET

The Flyers goaltending Depth Chart:

Carter Hart
Brian Elliott
Kirill Ustimenko Rookie
Alex Lyon
Felix Sandstrom Rookie
Ivan Fedotov Rookie
Samuel Ersson Rookie
Matej Tomek Rookie
Roddy Ross Rookie

Lyon and Ustimenko were anticipated to be the Phantoms goalies for the AHL 2020-21 season starting February 5.

Now, perhaps 2 rookies? Lyon is expected to be the 3rd goalie with the Flyers on the 6-player Taxi Squad.

So, the Phantoms duo - - Sandstrom and the 6'-8" Fedotov?

1579632862740_image001.jpg?fit=623%2C350&ssl=1

It's 9:38 PM ET Thurs night and the Team USA vs Team Sweden game just started.

All 3 Flyers players are in this game:

Team USA - Cam York, Bobby Brink

Team Sweden - Emil Andrae

NHL Network in the US. TSN in Canada.

Edited by Zzeke

I really like the York pick more and more.  He's so smart with the puck and he's such an effective defender without being overly physical. He's a thing of beauty to watch.  If he plays though,  Vigneault tries to use left- right handed pairings as much as possible.  It also looked like he can play the right side as well. The depth of our defense prospects is impressive.  

As for Brink,  his skating has improved immensely.  Another year of doing what he's doing will fix it completely.  His stride was so noticeable and he was really able to get that first gear jump. Now, it just needs done five tuning, in particular,  his edge work needs to be cleaned up.  If that can be done, Brink will be an elite skater. He's close now.  Now,  he isn't going to be a burner,  but he's gig to be plenty fast and sturdy on his skates.

Gotta give props.  Fletcher and Nature Boy hit it out of the park in their first draft in 2019. They need to commended for doing a good job.

• Like 3