Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

22 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I really like the York pick more and more.  He's so smart with the puck and he's such an effective defender without being overly physical. He's a thing of beauty to watch.  If he plays though,  Vigneault tries to use left- right handed pairings as much as possible.  It also looked like he can play the right side as well. The depth of our defense prospects is impressive.  

As for Brink,  his skating has improved immensely.  Another year of doing what he's doing will fix it completely.  His stride was so noticeable and he was really able to get that first gear jump. Now, it just needs done five tuning, in particular,  his edge work needs to be cleaned up.  If that can be done, Brink will be an elite skater. He's close now.  Now,  he isn't going to be a burner,  but he's gig to be plenty fast and sturdy on his skates.

Gotta give props.  Fletcher and Nature Boy hit it out of the park in their first draft in 2019. They need to commended for doing a good job.

Good stuff BCF16.

Exciting Flyers future on defence. The impressive 20 year old Zamula, 6'-4", 185, is next up.

At the present time, Fletcher/Flahr have the 19 yo York on the Prospect Defence Depth Chart here:

Egor Zamula
Cameron York
Wyatte Wylie
Linus Hogberg
Emil Andrae
Ronald Attard
Mason Millman
Adam Ginning
John St. Ivany
Valeri Vasilyev

I guess this assumes Friedman is already considered NHL experienced.

In a few seasons, our Flyers may have one of the best mobile 3-zone quality defence groups in the NHL. We may be looking at something like this:

2020-21 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded soon before the July Expansion Draft

2021-22 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson (will stategically be re-signed as a UFA after the Exansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
Hagg - Zamula or Zamula - Friedman (RH)
#7 - Hagg or Braun (Hagg may be taken by the Kraken in Expansion Draft)

2022-23 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula
#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH)

Dynamic 6-man defence.

image.jpeg.9122ee688ec5f862fc7fabff16ec44e3.jpeg

Big Game tonight Tuesday Jan 5 at 9:30 PM ET.

Team USA vs Team Canada for the GOLD medal.

Of course we all are rooting for our Flyers' Cam York and Bobby Brink and therfore Team USA - - even those of us from Manitoba, Ontario, BC, etc! Right?  animated smileys hello

• Like 2

Training Camp 2021 Day 2: On-Ice Groups

by Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers / philadelphiaflyers.com
 10:58 AM
cut.png

Below are the groups for Tuesday's practice on Day 2 of Flyers 2021 Training Camp.

GROUP A
Flyers Ice

FORWARDS (12)
12   -   Michael Raffl       LW 
13   -   Kevin Hayes       C
14   -   Sean Couturier   C
19   -   Nolan Patrick       C
23   -   Oskar Lindblom   LW
25   -   James van Riemsdyk LW 
28   -   Claude Giroux       LW
36   -   Linus Sandin       RW
48   -   Morgan Frost       C 
60   -   Zayde Wisdom   LW
62   -   Nicolas Aube-Kubel   RW
86   -   Joel Farabee       RW

DEFENSEMEN (8)
5   -   Philippe Myers       RD 
6   -   Travis Sanheim       LD
8   -   Robert Hagg       LD
9   -   Ivan Provorov       LD
51   -   Derrick Pouliot       LD
53   -   Shayne Gostisbehere   LD
54   -   Yegor Zamula       LD
59   -   Mark Friedman       RD

GOALTENDERS (2)
37   - Brian Elliott        
79   - Carter Hart        

GROUP B
Phantoms Ice

FORWARDS (10)
10   -   Andy Andreoff       LW
11   -   Travis Konecny   RW 
21   -   Scott Laughton   C
52   -   Tyson Foerster   RW
55   -   Samuel Morin       LW
57   -   Wade Allison       RW
71   -   Max Willman   LW
81   -   Carsen Twarynski   LW
82   -   Connor Bunnaman   C 
93   -   Jakub Voracek   RW

DEFENSEMEN (6)
3   -   Chris Bigras       LD
26   -   Tyler Wotherspoon   LD
39   -   Nate Prosser       RD
56   -   Erik Gustafsson       RD
61   -   Justin Braun       RD
85   -   Wyatte Wylie       RD

GOALTENDERS (3)
32   - Felix Sandstrom    
34   - Alex Lyon        
69   - Roddy Ross        

World JR Championship

Our Flyers York and Brink win the GOLD Medal with Team USA over Team Canada 2-0.  animated smileys jumping

Both players were significant contributors. Awesome game.

cut.jpg

Edited by Zzeke

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

World JR Championship

Our Flyers York and Brink win the GOLD Medal with Team USA over Team Canada 2-0.  animated smileys jumping

Both players were significant contributors. Awesome game.

cut.jpg

And the best part:

After two weeks of never giving up an even-strength goal, of outscoring their opponents 41-4, of recording shutouts in every second game — OF NEVER TRAILING EVEN FOR A SINGLE SECOND — Canada was defeated 2-0 in the gold-medal game by the United States Tuesday night in Edmonton.

“I don’t think they’ve been tested by a real team yet,” Zegras said. “I don’t think this goalie has been tested five-on-five yet.”

Ooooch. Crash and burn...

:salute:

USA! USA! USA!

• Like 1

Flyers defenceman Cam York

For those who may not have watched the GOLD Medal game, here is a tweet with video clip:  (do double 'full screen')

2022-23 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson (strategically re-signed after Expansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula

#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH)

Dynamic 6-man defence.

EGOR ZAMULA RC 20-21 UPPER DECK YOUNG GUNS ROOKIE CARD # 232 FLYERS UD  2020-21 | eBay

Edited by Zzeke

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And the best part:

After two weeks of never giving up an even-strength goal, of outscoring their opponents 41-4, of recording shutouts in every second game — OF NEVER TRAILING EVEN FOR A SINGLE SECOND — Canada was defeated 2-0 in the gold-medal game by the United States Tuesday night in Edmonton.

“I don’t think they’ve been tested by a real team yet,” Zegras said. “I don’t think this goalie has been tested five-on-five yet.”

Ooooch. Crash and burn...

:salute:

USA! USA! USA!

Right. Other than Canada beat Russia 5-0...the same Russia that beat the US in that very tournament.  They dominated Finland...the same Finland the US squeaked by 2-1. 

Celebrate the win. Cut the bs.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Right. Other than Canada beat Russia 5-0...the same Russia that beat the US in that very tournament.  They dominated Finland...the same Finland the US squeaked by 2-1. 

Celebrate the win. Cut the bs.

just going to point out that a 5-0 whoopin' doesn't sound like a test to me.

It sounds like a whoopin'.

People can take any quote and use it for motivation, I don't think Zegras was trying to give anyone bulletin board material. I think he is a 19 year old describing what he's seen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey don't be mad at a quote.

Show up next time. 

ICE UP SON!!! ICE UP!!!

USA! USA! USA!

My comment wasn't meant to be directed at you. 

Show up? Knight stole the game. Not much you can do about a hot goalie. Shots were 34 - 21...for Canada. Including 15-1 in the 3rd.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

People can take any quote and use it for motivation, I don't think Zegras was trying to give anyone bulletin board material. I think he is a 19 year old describing what he's seen.

Zegras "complete" comment was that Canada hadn't been tested by a real team yet. As I pointed out, Canada had smoked both Finland and Russia. Two teams that had either given the US all they could handle or actually beat them. 

I think Zegras looked like he's going to be a great NHLer. Good on his team to beat Canada. He doesn't have to undermine what those other kids accomplished though. Without their two best players. 

Edited by flyercanuck

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He doesn't have to undermine what those kids accomplished though.

But he didn't he just gave a honest answer in his mind I'm sure. To the Victor go the spoils.

Unless I missed something I haven't see anything he said that was egregious.

I also prefer if you're going to say anything that others may not like please do it after the game.

And we'll they stuck a mic in his face and he said that he said.

Use that for bulletin board material if you need to I am totally ok with his comments.

Seems many Canuckians aren't though.

And we'll they can GFT!!!!

Continued Meltzer Report from today (1/7/21) - 

* Egor Zamula is a long shot to make the NHL roster given his tender age and need to gain some pro experience. Nonetheless, the fact that he was assigned to the NHL roster dominated Group A practice on Day 3 and was paired with Myers in Group B on Tuesday speaks volumes about how high the organization is on his upside.

Zamula's camp has been similar to the previous ones in which he's participated, including the pre-Bubble camp in July (which earned him a trip to Toronto with the team to play in the exhibition game win against Pittsburgh and a Black Aces spot thereafter). He is very smooth and poised for such a young defenseman. He is mobile and gets the puck to the forwards effectively with accurate first passes.

The young Russian defenseman still needs to get stronger physically (he remains rail-thin although perhaps he added a couple pounds). Like most young puck-movers, he isn't immune from the odd mistake with the puck; hanging on a little too long or getting an outlet try picked off.

Overall, though, Zamula is clearly a bonafide NHL prospect and he's getting a long look with guys who will be on the NHL roster.

IMO, he will get some time with the Flyers this season as a member of the Taxi Squad and perhaps later as a call-up from the Phantoms.

Zamula will be a regular on the Flyers 6-man defence next season:

2021-22 Season

Provorov - Gustafsson (strategically re-signed as a UFA after the Expansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
Hagg - Zamula (or Zamula - Friedman (RH))

#7 - Hagg or Braun (Hagg may be taken by the Kraken in Expansion Draft)

- Ghost traded soon, before getting too close the July Expansion Draft.

Flyers prospect Egor Zamula can 'do things that not many players can' | RSN

7 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I hope this carries over to their college seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

i just watched nhl network they have us ranked 17th in nhl prospects like what? freaking bias hate against the flyers. are they expecting us to have top 5 picks in the farm system or something?

Our Flyers now rank #7 in the highly respected THW rankings.

The Flyers were ranked #2 before the graduation of Hart, Farabee, and Myers.

Copied here are the rankings. I stripped away all the team explanations except for our Flyers - 

The NHL’s Best Farm Systems Ranked – Postseason Update

BY JOSH BELL 
THE HOCKEY WRITERS
SEPTEMBER 1ST, 2020

Prospects can make or break an NHL organization.

Properly scouting, drafting and developing players can set up a team for a decade of success. Trading off those pieces and draft picks for an immediate fix may help that season, even the next one, but it will hurt the franchise in the long run.

A team’s farm system is a very fluid thing. Prospects graduate to become full-time NHL players, general managers make trades involving some of these young players, and sometimes players just don’t work out. Knowing exactly what you have, where they are in their development and what they need to accomplish next is a major responsibility of every front office.

Every team is at a different stage. Some are ready to contend for a Stanley Cup, while others are working to restock their prospect cupboard. There are even teams at the wonderful point where their farm system is looking great and they could make a strong push in the playoffs (See number three on this list).

The following ranking of every team’s prospect pool is based on the ceiling of the players in the system, while keeping an eye on their age, production thus far in their development, and it’s very hard to not have at least a little bias based on where the majority of prospects were picked in the draft.

The “Top Five Prospects” are alphabetical, not ranked.

Defining prospects varies from source to source. I will use Corey Pronman’s definition that he uses in his work: “A skater no longer qualifies as an NHL prospect if he has played 25 games in the NHL in any campaign, regular season and playoffs combined, or 50 games total; or reaches age 27 by Sept. 15. A goalie no longer qualifies as an NHL prospect if he has played 10 games in the NHL in any campaign, regular season and playoffs combined, or 25 games total; or reaches age 27 by Sept. 15.” (From: “Pronman: 2019-20 NHL Farm System Rankings”).

Without further ado, here are all 31 NHL farm systems ranked, with a few of their top prospects and a little bit of explanation of why they are sitting at that position.

31) Pittsburgh Penguins

30) New York Islanders

29) Washington Capitals

28) St. Louis Blues

27) Columbus Blue Jackets

26) Boston Bruins

25) San Jose Sharks

24) Winnipeg Jets

23) Chicago Blackhawks

22) Tampa Bay Lightning

21) Calgary Flames

20) Nashville Predators

19) Dallas Stars

18) Buffalo Sabres

17) Arizona Coyotes

16) Toronto Maple Leafs

15) Edmonton Oilers

14) Detroit Red Wings

13) New Jersey Devils

12) Minnesota Wild

11) Vegas Golden Knights

10) Florida Panthers

9) Anaheim Ducks

8] Vancouver Canucks

7) Philadelphia Flyers

Top Five Prospects [alphabetically]: Bobby Brink, Morgan Frost, Isaac Ratcliffe, Cam York, Yegor Zamula

I could easily be convinced that the Philadelphia Flyers should be higher on this list. They have a great crop of prospects, and then, of course, there’s the [graduation of] goaltender of the future in Carter Hart, who showed what he can do last season. The duo of Joel Farabee and Philippe Myers are also impacting at the NHL level early. While they have a number of future stars in the fold, I think that most of the teams above simply have more players with higher ceilings still in the system.

Morgan Frost is now their top prospect, a centreman who has great speed and is a high-end playmaker. He’s extremely good with the puck and exciting to watch. Isaac Ratcliffe comes in behind him as a big (6-foot-6) goal-scoring machine.

A prospect that Philadelphia fans should be excited about is Bobby Brink. Drafted in the second round this past June, the winger is an elite passer, with great hockey sense. His skating needs some tweaking, but there’s a great future NHLer in Brink. Jay O’Brien also had a big year in the BCHL and has a ton of promise.

The future defence is just as impressive. 2019 first-rounder Cam York was the number one guy on a stacked USNTDP team, largely due to his elite hockey sense. He’s patient, makes good decisions, and seems to slow the game down for the entire team. Undrafted Yegor Zamula is also impressing in his development. He’s a very smart defender who seems to do all of the little things right.

On top of these two, the Flyers drafted another potential steal, Ronnie Attard, in the third round in 2019, while Wyatte Wylie is on the rise as well. Keep an eye on Mason Millman too. The Flyers don’t have a sure-thing goaltender in the ranks anymore, but Matej Tomek had a very good season in Slovakia.

6) Colorado Avalanche

5) New York Rangers

4) Ottawa Senators

3) Montreal Canadiens

2) Carolina Hurricanes

1) Los Angeles Kings

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Edited by Zzeke

The forgotten man...Ronnie Attard...

And again...

We'll see that the future holds for the 3rd round 6-3 210 right hand shot.

He has 3 goals 7 assists for 10 points in 14 games so far.

He only had 14 points in 30 games his freshman year.

He has a few ahead of him but he could always turn into a very good trade piece.

• Like 1

from Broad Street Buzz:

Phantoms will be signing goaltender Zane McIntyre and forwards Ryan Fitzgerald and Tanner MacMaster to AHL contracts. All three will report to Phantoms’ training camp which opens in the upcoming weeks in Allentown at the PPL Center. With Flyers prospect Roddy Ross still unsigned, the Phantoms will be bringing in Mcintyre to spilt time with Sandstrom and Ross is expected to sign.

McIntyre finds a new team after being released three days ago from his PTO with the Coyotes. A perfect pair with the prospect, Sandstrom to learn from the veteran McIntyre.

Phantoms Roster:

Goalies (3): Zane McIntyre, Roddy Ross & Felix Sandstrom

Defensemen (8): Chris Bigras, Logan Day, Linus Hogberg, Mason Millman, Derrick Pouliot, Tyler Wotherspoon, Wyatte Wylie & Egor Zamula

Forwards (14): Ralph Cuddemi, Ryan Fitzgerald, Tyson Foerster, David Kase, Pascal Laberge, Tanner Laczynski, Tanner MacMaster, Cal O’Reilly , Linus Sandin, Brennan Saulnier, Matthew Strome, Maksim Sushko, Max Willman, & Zayde Wisdom.

Injured Reserve: Kirill Ustimenko (out for season), Wade Allison & Issac Ratcliffe.

This is a good break for our Flyers Jrs eligible players: Foerster, Wisdom, and Millman.

They get Pro exposure and experience. And our Flyers organization gets to watch and evaluate them. Win-win. When the 3 CHL Leagues start playing again, they must report to their Jrs team or make the Flyers club (highly unlikely).

I wonder if we will see Sam come over next year and begin his transition to the north American game sized ice??

His contract is up after this coming year.

To me this is what slowed Sandstrom process he should have came over sooner.

@pilldoc and all - 

The AHL Schedule is announced on Jan 25, 2021.

The Phantoms will be playing a 38-game season, playing in the newly aligned North Division. The full schedule is below.

The Phantoms opener is in 12 days at Hershey. It's close to where I live, and I want to see defencemen Zamula and Wylie, and forwards Allison, Laczynski (when ready), and Sandin in their first NA pro hockey season. But, can't attend because of the pandemic.

Screen_Shot_2021_01_22_at_12.12.12_PM.png

What It Will Take for Wyatt Wylie to Earn an ELC with the Flyers - PHILLY  SPORTS NETWORK

Today (1/31/21) Sam Carchidi, in the Philadelphia Inquirer, wrote a comprehensive, well-done, article on the Flyers top-12 prospects.  Sam writes:

They are the 12 Flyers prospects who seem destined to reach the NHL and be key contributors. Actually, one of them, Connor Bunnaman (ranked No. 10), is already with the Flyers.

Playmaking center Morgan Frost is atop the ratings, compiled by The Inquirer in consultation with scouting experts. Defenseman Cam York is a close second.

The ratings are based on the players’ progress and their upside at the NHL level.

The list only includes players who still have rookie status.

Here are the rankings' names only. The depth of the article for each player can be read by those who can get access.

1. Morgan Frost, 21 years old, center

2. Cam York, 20, defenseman

3. Wade Allison, 23, right wing

4. Egor Zamula, 20, defenseman

5. Bobby Brink, 19, right wing

6. Tyson Foerster, 19, right wing

7. Tanner Laczynski, 23, left wing/right wing

8. Noah Cates, 21, left wing

9. Emil Andrae, 18, defenseman

10. Connor Bunnaman, 22, center

11. Isaac Ratcliffe, 21, left wing

12. Linus Sandin, 24, right wing

RW Wade Allison

06252019_FlyersDevCamp_forwards_credKateFrese-40-1024x683.jpg

9 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Today (1/31/21) Sam Carchidi, in the Philadelphia Inquirer, wrote a comprehensive, well-done, article on the Flyers top-12 prospects.  Sam writes:

They are the 12 Flyers prospects who seem destined to reach the NHL and be key contributors. Actually, one of them, Connor Bunnaman (ranked No. 10), is already with the Flyers.

Playmaking center Morgan Frost is atop the ratings, compiled by The Inquirer in consultation with scouting experts. Defenseman Cam York is a close second.

The ratings are based on the players’ progress and their upside at the NHL level.

The list only includes players who still have rookie status.

Here are the rankings' names only. The depth of the article for each player can be read by those who can get access.

1. Morgan Frost, 21 years old, center

2. Cam York, 20, defenseman

3. Wade Allison, 23, right wing

4. Egor Zamula, 20, defenseman

5. Bobby Brink, 19, right wing

6. Tyson Foerster, 19, right wing

7. Tanner Laczynski, 23, left wing/right wing

8. Noah Cates, 21, left wing

9. Emil Andrae, 18, defenseman

10. Connor Bunnaman, 22, center

11. Isaac Ratcliffe, 21, left wing

12. Linus Sandin, 24, right wing

RW Wade Allison

06252019_FlyersDevCamp_forwards_credKateFrese-40-1024x683.jpg

A nice stable of good young potential players of the future.

Seems like we should be adding a goalie or two sprinkled in there like Ustimenkov and Errsson.