Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

22 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

A nice stable of good young potential players of the future.

Seems like we should be adding a goalie or two sprinkled in there like Ustimenkov and Errsson.

I guess Rubstov and O’Brian could end up a total flops. Rubstov had bad luck with injuries and is playing in Russia, will he be coming  back to the Phantoms this season? O’Brien has high end skill and also had injury problems, I hope he can develop. It’s too bad Wyatt Kalynuk didn’t sign with us, he went to Chicago for a better shot at playing. Funny thing is with Niskanen retiring and the poor play of Braun, Gus and Haag, Kalynuk was probably the first guy we would have called up. 

15 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Kalynuk was probably the first guy we would have called up. 

Yeah not sure how much of an upgrade he would be the knock on him as well is he has a lot to be desired when it comes to playing defense in his own end.

Right now in my mind their best option is to get Friedman going and playing. Kid is a smooth skater with some good offensive tools in the toolbox.

I would love to see him take Braun's spot on the 3rd pair.

But for some reason the staff thinks he has some work to do...I just don't know why he can work on that while playing especially over a Hagg, Guss or Braun whom we pretty know what they are.

Friedman we still don't know.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah not sure how much of an upgrade he would be the knock on him as well is he has a lot to be desired when it comes to playing defense in his own end.

Right now in my mind their best option is to get Friedman going and playing. Kid is a smooth skater with some good offensive tools in the toolbox.

I would love to see him take Braun's spot on the 3rd pair.

But for some reason the staff thinks he has some work to do...I just don't know why he can work on that while playing especially over a Hagg, Guss or Braun whom we pretty know what they are.

Friedman we still don't know.

The staff are slowly becoming retards.  At one time, Philadelphia was the goaltending graveyard. Now, Philadelphia is becoming a graveyard for coaching. After some of the decisions that Vigneault made during the playoffs and so far this year, it bears some merit. It's ridiculous that Friedman,  statistically, has played better than Braun, Hagg and Gustafsson,  yet he's been continually scratched because 'grrrrr......grizzled veteran leadership' or some garbage like that. 

• Good Post 2

On 1/22/2021 at 6:30 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Sanheim. He's slowly playing his way out of town and in a contract year none the less. 

I hope not.  He's coming into his own and his offensive side will only get stronger.  

York is Ghosts replacement.  Writing is on the wall.

1 minute ago, Digityman said:

I hope not.  He's coming into his own and his offensive side will only get stronger.  

York is Ghosts replacement.  Writing is on the wall.

This is year number 4 with Sanheim now.  It's time for him to **** or get off the pot. I want to root for the guy, but I see too much of Braydon Coburn in his game. There's indecisiveness, followed up by period where he looks like he's made the jump and he's going to be a dominant defender,  only to watch him slide back and be mired in mediocrity. I'm worried about the affect the coaching staff is having on his game because Sanheim looks like he's regressing something fierce under their watch.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

O’Brien has high end skill and also had injury problems

He's still in college and has played pretty well for the Terriers so far. 

There is a lot of road ahead for him before I say he's a bust. I don't know if his ability warranted where he was picked but I like the kid's grit.  They definitely took a Flier on that kid, and so far it hasn't looked super promising. 

As for Rubstov, he's been hurt so much, it's kind of a shame. I thought he was coming back to play for the Phantoms.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He's still in college and has played pretty well for the Terriers so far. 

There is a lot of road ahead for him before I say he's a bust. I don't know if his ability warranted where he was picked but I like the kid's grit.  They definitely took a Flier on that kid, and so far it hasn't looked super promising. 

As for Rubstov, he's been hurt so much, it's kind of a shame. I thought he was coming back to play for the Phantoms.

Ya, O'Brien was always a "project pick". He's got a long way to go before being annointed bust or a good pick. 

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, O'Brien was always a "project pick". He's got a long way to go before being annointed bust or a good pick. 

That is why he went the route he went when he went to a lesser school to play with this allowed him to at least play as it counted as sitting out a year so he could maintain his years of eligibility without losing a year.

This was smart many got pissed and only looked at as why is he basically going down to play vs lesser talent.

It was the only he could actually play and it count as sitting out.

So he could play another year or two of college before he is ready to sign.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is why he went the route he went when he went to a lesser school to play with this allowed him to at least play as it counted as sitting out a year so he could maintain his years of eligibility without losing a year.

This was smart many got pissed and only looked at as why is he basically going down to play vs lesser talent.

It was the only he could actually play and it count as sitting out.

So he could play another year or two of college before he is ready to sign.

Looking back on the 2018 draft, Farabee is outscoring pretty well anyone not taken top 4 (and Quinn Hughes taken 7th) while providing a good all around game.

There aren't any players at this point taken after who have leaped ahead of O'Brien as far as their NHL careers go, so really as long as he keeps developing...

Ginning was such a non- Hextall type pick I'm still scratching my head there. 

Wylie has been coming along quite well.

Ersson too!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Yes seems like a reach at the time.

He is 21 and isn't under contract beyond this year in the SHL I think it is time to bring him over and guage where he is at.

Regardless it is time to transition to the smaller ice. Ersson needs to join him too.

Not sure where Sandstrom stands in all of this but it might be that Errsson passes him soon if he hasn't already.

Maybe they send Sandstrom to the KHL I heard that is a place to develop world class goalie talent. :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Looking back on the 2018 draft, Farabee is outscoring pretty well anyone not taken top 4 (and Quinn Hughes taken 7th) while providing a good all around game.

There aren't any players at this point taken after who have leaped ahead of O'Brien as far as their NHL careers go, so really as long as he keeps developing...

Wylie has been coming along quite well.

Ersson too!

Ginning was an awful puck.  There was no need for him. I look at some of the players taken after him and I really wonder wtf Hextall was thinking.  Akil Thomas,  Calen Addison, Benoit-Olivier Groulx, and Gabriel Fortier are some of the players the Flyers could have selected.  Instead,  those chose a 6'4 bag of crap with limited mobility and no puck skills. That was such a waste of a pick.  I don't even know if the Flyers would get a compensatory pick if they don't sign him. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this sucks for the kid...

I think we set a record for most top prospects injured in the last few years.  Patrick,Rubstov, Morin, O ‘Brian, Foerester , Ratcliffe, Allison, Laberge and Brink . It’s unbelievable.

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I think we set a record for most top prospects injured in the last few years.  Patrick,Rubstov, Morin, O ‘Brian, Foerester , Ratcliffe, Allison, Laberge and Brink . It’s unbelievable.

I know.....the only team i have ever seen that was snakebitten worse by the injury bug was the Eagles from 2017 thru 2020.

When will it end?

13 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Foerester , Ratcliffe, Allison, Laberge and Brink

Foerester, Ratcliffe, Brink and York.

That's 4 that I think have the best shot at filtering in within the next 1-3 years.    Foerester and Ratcliffe's shooting/scoring abilities are much needed.   York will help on the back end.   Brink should bring some gritty-ness.  

Guess we can add Laczynski back to the list now after missing camp to start the year with an injury.

And just can't catch a break...Laberge at this point is an after thought.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Someone lift the Philly curse please...

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guess we can add Laczynski back to the list now after missing camp to start the year with an injury.

And just can't catch a break...Laberge at this point is an after thought.

I'm counting Laberge out at this point. If he ever makes it it's a bonus. I feel for the guy cause he had some skill and injuries just totally derailed him. 

What did Foerster play, ONE game for the Phantoms? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

What did Foerster play, ONE game for the Phantoms? 

Yep. It sucks. I was looking forward to him getting a free year in the AHL without his entry level contract counting. Oh well. Best thing he can do is heal up and get back to play somewhere.

Two goal for the kid...

And Kase win it....

Phantoms win 5-4 in OT! David Kase scored the OT winner to go along with two assists. Big day for Zayde Wisdom (2G, 1A). Linus Hogberg picked up an assist. Also of note: Wyatte Wylie had 8 shots on goal, while Mason Millman made his pro debut and finished as a +4.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Imagine if everyone on the Flyers gave this 18 year old kids effort...

He already has that super star name now his plays matches.

Pretty impressive for 18 year old to be tied for 4th in the AHL in goals.

He doesn't turn 19 till July. Going to be hard to send him back to juniors next year.