Retro-reverse jerseys - thoughts

Math

Tremendous job  :w00t:

CAR (one of the best logo and jersey back with a modern layout. Right in the middle of the bull)

COL (Nordiques' powder blue with the Fleurdélisé, just brilliant)

LA (another great idea to go with the original colors. The scheme is sharp)

MIN (nice to bring back the North Stars colors, but they inverted the number colors...)

Globally ok :ahappy:

BOS (well, just Boston being Boston. Nothing special here)

CBJ (design and logo are ok, but why so much red ?)

FLA (old logo and colors, nothing new under the sun)

EDM (They avoided the horrible Oilman and the navy/red scheme, overall very great)

MTL (no real change in its history, they just flipped the red and blue)

NSH (one of the most hideous jersey in their league inception, they at least avoided the mustard yellow)

NYI (what's the point of having the current jersey as their retros? But let's admit all their thirds are horrible)

NJ (another nice result with a perfect retro and modern combo)

NYR (the Liberty logo is still a nice one and the overall look is cool)

PHI (weird scheme on the stripes, but it's overall ok)

SJ (good overall result even if it lacks a bit of teal)

TOR (like BOS, nothing original here)

VGK (crating a retro look with a 3-yr history team is quite a challenge, but the result is ok)

WSH (the combination between the old logo and current colors is quite a success)

Humm WTF... :confused[1]:

BUF (All elements related to their identity crisis summarized in one jersey. Messy)

CGY (The Black and the horse logo don't make any sense)

CHI (O6 team with one of the greatest jersey, why messing that up like that ?)

DAL (The idea is great but everything comes flat out with this practice jersey that has no contrast)

OTT (while the original logo is ok, there's way too much red in these)

PIT (they went lazy as hell, why not going with the original skyblue and current logo ?)

TB (the ensemble is way too dull)

VAN (the mixed blue/green coming from the terrible 3rd jersey design is pretty weird)

WPG (while the logo is smart why all that boring grey ?)

Epic fail 🤮

ANA (the worst jersey of all time brought back. The designers should be sent back to jail)

AZ (While Kachina is ok, why the hell bringing back the 3rd logo with that awful purple ?)

DET (Another practice jersey. and the grey is a total nonsense)

STL (another late 90s disaster design brought up here with this awful nonsense red)

• Like 1

I hate my team's (Flyers) 

Really like in no particular order.

CAR

WPG 

BUF

LA

gulp TOR

and I like the weird coyote and color scheme for AZ

I also really dig the Wild's logo in the North Star color scheme. 

For me I thought the Flyers had a brilliant 3rd sweater design with the Winter Classic burnt orange, cream and black, with the keystone designs for the leadership designates. But evidently I'm the only person who would like to see a return to this great look.

I understand the idea of the back to the 80s or 90s ....but still my team's sweater designers should be shot. 

image-asset.png

Okay, out of curiosity, I just had to review these. Here's my thoughts:

INSTANT FAIL:

• Anaheim
  • Arizona
  • Boston
  • Buffalo
  • Calgary
  • Colorado
  • Dallas
  • Detroit
  • LA
  • Minnesota
  • New Jersey
  • St. Louis
  • Toronto
  • Winnipeg

GOLD STANDARD:

• Hartford
  • Chicago
  • Columbus
  • Montreal
  • NY Rangers
  • Tampa Bay
  • Washington

That's all you need to know.  :) 

Greetings:

Please forgive my trespass, but I am wondering about the attention paid to the new sweaters.  Is is money to be made? Do people have anything better to do with their time?  Is this a COVID-19 distraction?  I just don't get it.  

Stay safe,

Howie

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Please forgive my trespass, but I am wondering about the attention paid to the new sweaters.  Is is money to be made? Do people have anything better to do with their time?  Is this a COVID-19 distraction?  I just don't get it.  

Stay safe,

Howie

This topic is already in the General NHL area.  

Link:

13 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Well, different strokes for different folks.  This is not a high priority in my book.

It's an attempted money grab if you ask me.  With the COVID, they're probably looking at any way to generate some income.  Question is, how many hockey fans have any disposable income at this point, and will they spend it on 'yet another jersey'?

• Like 2

What's strange to me is the reality that players are being asked to increase escrow withholdings in anticipation of revenue downturns. The ECHL is shut down.  Meanwhile, we are supposed to fork out $150+ for a "retro" sweater.  

Common guys you're killing the forum with this crap.  This is a personal pet-peeve of mine. 

Topics of general discussion are in the GENERAL NHL area and there is already a thread for this topic created.

Stop trying to hoard the entire forum inside the Flyers section!

[end rant]  

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Common guys you're killing the forum with this crap.  This is a personal pet-peeve of mine. 

Topics of general discussion are in the GENERAL NHL area and there is already a thread for this topic created.

[end rant]  

No worries ... I moved and merged the 2 topics together. :)   All is good.

In all fairness some members don't venture around the forum as much and may not have seen the other thread in another forum.  Thanks for bring this to my attention. :) 

Edited by pilldoc
  • Thanks 1

OK a few thoughts on some of the designs

Pittsburgh- barely any effort put in, even by the standards of text jerseys this is bad

Kings- I love it, though I have a soft spot for purple in jerseys

Coyotes- love it, they're doing something interesting with this one

Ducks- simply awful. The person on the jersey is wearing a better looking jersey

Tampa Bay- while I understand its use, any jersey with the 'I spent five minutes with WordArt' logo is automatically terrible

Detroit- oh wow, that's... boring

Calgary- ooh me likey that one. Very striking

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

No worries ... I moved and merged the 2 topics together. :)   All is good.

In all fairness some members don't venture around the forum as much and may not have seen the other thread in another forum.  Thanks for bring this to my attention. :) 

No problem. It's my personal pet-peeve lol.  Even after I mentioned it and provided a link to the original thread, some members continued on in the duplicate thread. Makes my head explode sometimes. Maybe I'm just more on edge these days.  :)