"IF" the season is cancelled

CoachX

Let's assume for a minute that the upcoming season gets cancelled. How does that impact this current lineup? We know the expansion draft is coming. We know players are a year older. What would that do to contracts that are expiring, and how would it impact young players like NAK, who are pushing for a regular spot?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Let's assume for a minute that the upcoming season gets cancelled. How does that impact this current lineup? We know the expansion draft is coming. We know players are a year older. What would that do to contracts that are expiring, and how would it impact young players like NAK, who are pushing for a regular spot?

We should expose Patrick, to the expansion draft.

• Like 1

My initial thoughts are that JVR would be unprotected, and exposed to Seattle. Hopefully taken. You keep Patrick. He's young and has more to time to recover, or see if his issues returns. Try to trade Ghost, but I imagine his value declines. Gus becomes UFA, you sign him for the same amount, or let him walk. This could impact the Ghost situation. Let Elliott walk. If you need cap space to sign Sanheim, you let Raffl or Laughton walk, or trade them for picks (hopeful).

I lost my focus, that's all I have for now

I am qualified!

Here's my game plan

run, run, run , run

if its third and long, PASS

If its 4th and less than a yard, I go for it, otherwise I punt

Roll out my QB to give him options

and I trade Laughton to make cap room

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I am qualified!

Here's my game plan

run, run, run , run

if its third and long, PASS

If its 4th and less than a yard, I go for it, otherwise I punt

Roll out my QB to give him options

and I trade Laughton to make cap room

Obviously, you haven't seen Doug Pederson coach. 😉

I would limit Wentz to 15 to 20 throws a game, at this point. IF they have any plans on winning the division.

Just now, FD19372 said:

Obviously, you haven't seen Doug Pederson coach. 😉

I would limit Wentz to 15 to 20 throws a game, at this point. IF they have any plans on winning the division.

But, would you trade Laughton?

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

But, would you trade Laughton?

Would I, in a REALLY good deal? Maybe. Laughton is NOT untouchable, but I would rather trade Nolan Patrick. I want a scoring winger back, though.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Would I, in a REALLY good deal? Maybe. Laughton is NOT untouchable, but I would rather trade Nolan Patrick.

assuming Patrick is actually healthy, I think he's better than Laughton

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

What's going to be scary is just how bad the finances are going to be.

If the Flyers are really ready to make a move to their farm system, and these players are ready to move up to the big club, they should have a position of strength

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

We should expose Patrick, to the expansion draft.

A shot at our Flyers Protected List 7F/3D/1G:

1) Giroux F (NMC)
2) Hayes F (NMC)
3) Couturier F
4) Konecny F
5) Patrick F
6) Lindblom F
7) Aube-Kubel F
1) Provorov D
2) Sanheim D
3) Myers D
1) Carter G

Exposed List:
van Riemsdyk (Age 32, Cap Hit 7M)
Voracek (Age 32, Cap Hit 8.25M)
Bunnaman F
Twarynski F
Kase F
Hagg D
Morin D
Friedman D

Exempt:
First and Second year Pro (at June 2021)
Farabee F 2nd year
Frost F 2nd year
Ustimenko G 2nd year
Sandstrom G 2nd year

Ustimenko G 2nd year

Don't have to consider protecting - Laughton, Raffl, Gustafsson because they will be pending UFAs and could be re-signed after the June Expansion Draft, if mutual.

The disagreement may be regarding protecting Voracek or NAK. IMO, protect NAK for reasons of stage-of-career, age, and Cap Hit. IMO, high probability Seattle does not select the exposed Voracek. If they do - okay - it opens up a top-9 spot for a prospect such as Frost (C) or Allison (RW) - (assuming Sandin already on the team for 2020-21).

Should our Flyers protect Voracek or NAK? Or JVR??

The Expansion Draft rules dictate that the Kracken must take one player from each of the 31 teams.

Under this Flyers Protected List and Exposed List (above), who do we think Seattle will take? 

I think they take defenceman Hagg.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Would I, in a REALLY good deal? Maybe. Laughton is NOT untouchable, but I would rather trade Nolan Patrick. I want a scoring winger back, though.

If I may enter this conversation  - - why trade either Laughton or Patrick?

Anyone like this 2020-21 23-player roster?

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)
#13-Raffl

JVR out

If Patrick not healthy, then Frost at 3C.

Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded

Hart

Elliott

2 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

If I may enter this conversation  - - why trade either Laughton or Patrick?

Anyone like this 2020-21 23-player roster?

Lindblom-Couturier-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Konecny
Giroux-Patrick-Sandin (G will settle P and S)
Laughton-Bunnaman-Aube Kubel (ideal AV 4th line)
#13-Raffl

JVR out

If Patrick not healthy, then Frost at 3C.

Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH) (don't break them up)
Hagg - Braun (RH)
#7 - Friedman (RH)
Ghost - traded

Hart

Elliott

Laughton is who he is. He's a nice player, with some scoring touch and physicality to his game. Patrick has a lot of potential, but then there's the injury issues. I feel like many of the same people who want to defend Wentz, and his issues with injury (yes, OK he hasn't been injured RECENTLY), are the same ones who don't want to perhaps...dare I say, sell high on Patrick just because he was the #2 pick in the draft. If Patrick was THE missing piece for the Flyers, I would say keep him. They need help at wing, a physical defenseman...  Point is, they could fill a need by trading him. You can play Frost, instead, for example. I think he's going to be a REALLY good player.

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

f Patrick was THE missing piece for the Flyers, I would say keep him. They need help at wing, a physical defenseman...  Point is, they could fill a need by trading him.

Going to jump in here and say one could fill a need by keeping him too.

I really don't think we know what we have with Patrick.

I don't think he was "right" for much of his time here. 

Maybe I'm irrationally attached to young guys and this one in particular because of Patrick Sharp and Justin Williams, those guys were traded to fill a need also, how good would a team with Carter, Richards, Sharp, Williams, Briere and Hartnell been?

I don't want to sell low on Patrick either, I want to see what he is first. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

Going to jump in here and say one could fill a need by keeping him too.

I really don't think we know what we have with Patrick.

I don't think he was "right" for much of his time here. 

Maybe I'm irrationally attached to young guys and this one in particular because of Patrick Sharp and Justin Williams, those guys were traded to fill a need also, how good would a team with Carter, Richards, Sharp, Williams, Briere and Hartnell been?

I don't want to sell low on Patrick either, I want to see what he is first. 

Captain Obvious, here. You could wait too long, he get seriously injured..so at that point, you get NOTHING for him. Then, on top of being unable to play you're stuck paying for him. Now what?

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Laughton is who he is. He's a nice player, with some scoring touch and physicality to his game. Patrick has a lot of potential, but then there's the injury issues. I feel like many of the same people who want to defend Wentz, and his issues with injury (yes, OK he hasn't been injured RECENTLY), are the same ones who don't want to perhaps...dare I say, sell high on Patrick just because he was the #2 pick in the draft. If Patrick was THE missing piece for the Flyers, I would say keep him. They need help at wing, a physical defenseman...  Point is, they could fill a need by trading him. You can play Frost, instead, for example. I think he's going to be a REALLY good player.

IMO, this team is set - - a very good team. Sure, if Fletcher has an opportunity to trade to enhance the team - do it (w/o killing the Cap or sacrificing quality draft picks or prospects). But, his comments recently say he is high on this team. I tend to agree.

1) Goal scoring may not be a big issue. Our Flyers last season were 7th in the 31-team NHL in 'goals scored' (They played 1 and 2 games less than the two teams ahead of them, and could easily have been 5th in the League).

2) The reminder from GM Fletcher - don't draw conclusions from the small sample size of the 13 games of the Bubble Playoffs. I think he is right.

3) The possibility, depending on circumstances, of one of these skill forwards making the team soon (as you said - next 2 seasons): Sandin, Frost, Allison - - most likely Sandin this season - - age 24, is a goal scorer with SHL pro experience.

Other positives for optimism:

1) the addition of Lindblom and potentially Patrick

2) young rostered players have not yet peaked and will get better and better: Konecny, Farabee, NAK, Bunnaman (in his 4th line role), Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Hart

Actually, thinking about the end of the 2019-20 regular season success to climb to the top and how well the team was in sync, and also knowing that finally a top-rated prospect pool is/will be ready to emerge, the future seems bright for our Flyers.

(I admit drooling over acquiring RW Laine, however foolish it may be.)

Philippe Myers of the Philadelphia Flyers is congratulated by his teammates after scoring the game-winning goal during the first overtime period to...