Would you trade for Staal?

Guest brelic

Apparently he's available. I'm not advocating for a trade... hell, we made enough roster moves to last us 5 years, but given that Staal is available, would you make a move for him? Maybe look at Schenn and Bob in a package...

EDIT: OUCH! Just saw his $8.25M cap hit! No thanks!

http://www.thehockey...-tradeable.html

The ongoing soap opera of the Columbus Blue Jackets, the free-fall of the Carolina Hurricanes and the Toronto Maple Leafs search for goaltending depth is providing plenty of fodder lately for the rumor mill.

Here's a sampling of the latest from the blogosphere.

ERIC STAAL NO LONGER “UNTOUCHABLE?”

The early collapse of the Hurricanes sparked considerable gossip they will make a coaching change or a trade.

Media reports from Raleigh and Toronto suggest GM Jim Rutherford could shop one of his defensemen, perhaps Tomas Kaberle or Bryan Allen, in hopes of landing scoring depth at forward.

This report, however, indicates Hurricanes captain and franchise player Eric Staal might also be available.

Staal has had a terrible start and with wunderkind sophomore center/left winger Jeff Skinner now the Hurricanes top scorer, the suggestion is the Hurricanes are better off shipping out Staal and his $8.25 millionper season cap hit for a return of young players, prospects or high draft picks.

One possible destination would be the Toronto Maple Leafs. On Oct. 18, Leafs GM Brian Burke scouted the Hurricanes, leading to speculation he'd have interest in some Hurricanes players.

The possibility of Rutherford trading any of his scoring forwards, when he's reportedly seeking more scoring depth up front, is unlikely. He's certainly not about to trade his team captain and franchise forward on the basis of one slow start.

Apparently he's available. I'm not advocating for a trade... hell, we made enough roster moves to last us 5 years, but given that Staal is available, would you make a move for him? Maybe look at Schenn and Bob in a package...

EDIT: OUCH! Just saw his $8.25M cap hit! No thanks!

http://www.thehockey...-tradeable.html

The ongoing soap opera of the Columbus Blue Jackets, the free-fall of the Carolina Hurricanes and the Toronto Maple Leafs search for goaltending depth is providing plenty of fodder lately for the rumor mill.

Here's a sampling of the latest from the blogosphere.

ERIC STAAL NO LONGER “UNTOUCHABLE?”

The early collapse of the Hurricanes sparked considerable gossip they will make a coaching change or a trade.

Media reports from Raleigh and Toronto suggest GM Jim Rutherford could shop one of his defensemen, perhaps Tomas Kaberle or Bryan Allen, in hopes of landing scoring depth at forward.

This report, however, indicates Hurricanes captain and franchise player Eric Staal might also be available.

Staal has had a terrible start and with wunderkind sophomore center/left winger Jeff Skinner now the Hurricanes top scorer, the suggestion is the Hurricanes are better off shipping out Staal and his $8.25 millionper season cap hit for a return of young players, prospects or high draft picks.

One possible destination would be the Toronto Maple Leafs. On Oct. 18, Leafs GM Brian Burke scouted the Hurricanes, leading to speculation he'd have interest in some Hurricanes players.

The possibility of Rutherford trading any of his scoring forwards, when he's reportedly seeking more scoring depth up front, is unlikely. He's certainly not about to trade his team captain and franchise forward on the basis of one slow start.

As you and @Irishjim said, $8.25, nuff said, no way!

8.25 nuff said no way

yeah that's insane, funny enough i was going to list Toronto as one of the teams I could see him going to. I wonder if the Oilers would part with a promising young guy for Staal (altho they're pretty stacked offensively as it is). I could also see him go to St. Louis

he is unmoveable, his contract is too big for teams to swallow. Only way is to clear waiver.

But waivers does not really get it done in regards to moving him. Unless you are suggesting that Carolina just do it to eat half of his salary (assuming he would be gobbled up on re-entry waivers by another team), with zero assets being returned? That seems insane to me. I think Carolina failed to realize that Staal needs quality line-mates to be an effective player himself.

Carolina is winger poor in regards to the top two lines.

yeah that's insane, funny enough i was going to list Toronto as one of the teams I could see him going to. I wonder if the Oilers would part with a promising young guy for Staal (altho they're pretty stacked offensively as it is). I could also see him go to St. Louis

yeah but 8.25 and yesterday he was a -minus 18. thats a pretty high number 20 games into the season

I think Staal is a great player who's sick of playing with nobody in a mediocre hockey market. His caphit is way too high for us to absorb, but I think he'd turn into one of the best in the league on the right team.

Totally agree. Lupul/Staal/Kessel would be a sick line.

I think Staal is a great player who's sick of playing with nobody in a mediocre hockey market. His caphit is way too high for us to absorb, but I think he'd turn into one of the best in the league on the right team.

Well then he should have never signed a SEVEN year EXTENSION contract making him the fourth highest paid centre in the NHL. Sorry, but he has 8.25 million reasons to man up and play his heart out in Carolina.

No More Staal-ing

3342.jpg

The highest-paid primary centers for the 2009-10 season, which is when Eric Staal's new $57.75 million, 7-year deal kicks in: Salary Vincent Lecavalier, Lightning $10M Sidney Crosby, Penguins $9M Evgeni Malkin, Penguins $9M Eric Staal, Hurricanes $8.25M Chris Drury, Rangers $8.05M Source: nhlnumbers.com

On the flip side, Carolina is the third lowest payroll in the NHL (with Colorado and Nashville taking top honors respectively- always amazed at that Nashville operation).

I wouldn't want Eric Staal on the Flyers (maybe make space for Jordan though), especially for Eric's cap hit. Maybe he's the center Rick Nash needs?

Jeff Carter for Eric Staal straight up? I think Carter is better, more valuable, and less expensive - but I don't know if that extends to yielding more in trade value every time.

I wouldn't want Eric Staal on the Flyers (maybe make space for Jordan though), especially for Eric's cap hit. Maybe he's the center Rick Nash needs?

Jeff Carter for Eric Staal straight up? I think Carter is better, more valuable, and less expensive - but I don't know if that extends to yielding more in trade value every time.

That might not be a bad trade considering Carter has an extra 5 or 6 years on his deal compared to Staal, but Columbus would have to send or trade players that total to the extra $3 million cap hit so they can get under. Also, I assume Staal has a no-trade clause and Carter's kicks in after this season. I think it would have be a blockbuster if it's going to involve Staal.

Less expensive, I'll agree with. Carter is better or more valuable than Staal? Eric Staal? They were drafted the same year....Stall has 514 points, Carter has 349. Staal has 43 playoff points in 43 games, Carter has 21 in 47. Staal makes players around him better...Carter ...