Pierre-Luc Dubois has asked for a trade , do we want him?

RonJeremy

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Dubois has asked for a trade , are we interested? , Do we prefer him over Laine? What would you be willing to give up to get him?

If Patrick can't go or if I want to swing Laughton to left wing and have Dubois play 3C and put Patrick at 4C, I'd take a really long look.  His hit is $5M.  We have about $2.25M  in cap space.  I don't want to go below $1.5 - $1.75M just in case with the bizarre season we're about to have.  So,  $4.5M would need to go back.  That's Ghost's hit.

I'd strongly consider it.

• Like 2

I would rather have Dubois than Laine, even though he's a center and Laine is a wing. Dubois has some skill and physicality in his game. If we have to give up Gostisbehere, so be it.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I would rather have Dubois than Laine, even though he's a center and Laine is a wing. Dubois has some skill and physicality in his game. If we have to give up Gostisbehere, so be it.

yeah, we don't need Laine.   We have Farabee playing off-wing and Morin playing Farabee's left wing.   Because that makes sense!  

Seriously, though, if I'm spending Ghost it's on the good, reasonably-priced center who can swing to the wing over the sometimes-interested high rent, high maintenance winger.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

yeah, we don't need Laine.   We have Farabee playing off-wing and Morin playing Farabee's left wing.   Because that makes sense!  

Seriously, though, if I'm spending Ghost it's on the good, reasonably-priced center who can swing to the wing over the sometimes-interested high rent, high maintenance winger.

Laine is soft. Dubois is not. I know Laine gives you more offense, but Dubois plays the whole rink.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

Money aside, I'd rather have PLD. I'll say it: he's out-and-out a better all-around hockey player than Laine, even if Laine does have one of the best shots I've ever seen. He's never figured out that there are two nets on the ice, and for all of his offense, he gives it all right back to the opposition. On the other hand, Dubois is one of those types of players who can become under-rated: there isn't any one particular thing which he's particularly great at doing, but also doesn't have any glaring weaknesses in his game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

It's going to take much, much more than Ghost to get Dubois.  Much more.

I don't think so, the market for players is depressed. I would think a pick (mid round) and an okay prospect with ghost gets it done. I don't think a crown jewel prospect and Ghost would be necessary.

This is a deal where I'd consider parting with a quality player though.

I like PLD's game. Imagine going Couturier, Hayes, PLD, Frost or Patrick down the middle...

53 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think so, the market for players is depressed. I would think a pick (mid round) and an okay prospect with ghost gets it done. I don't think a crown jewel prospect and Ghost would be necessary.

I like PLD's game. Imagine going Couturier, Hayes, PLD, Frost or Patrick down the middle...

Please. Would you trade a 22 yo Couturier for Ghost?

Before everyone starts pointing this out, yes, PLD and Couturier are different players, but PLD is much more accomplished player than Couts at his age.

If Ghost doesn't bounce back this year, you're going to need to package a pick with Ghost just to move him.

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

It's going to take much, much more than Ghost to get Dubois.  Much more.

completely agree.   Although, someone with Ghost's ability + the fact there's a very public request to trade, maybe -- still pretending the Flyers and Jackets are the only teams in the league and Columbus doesn't have any other options.

I'm not throwing picks or using another player for bait, though.   I mean, if Columbus wants to take JVR I'm game, but I can't believe they'd do that.

What about a 6'6" recently-converted left winger?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Apt comparison, at least for discussion purposes.   Legion compared him to Hayes and I was actually already thinking in those terms myself.   But I think PLD at 22 > Hayes at 22.  YMMV.

In any case, the straight answer is *I* would not.   But I wouldn't do some of the other trades I've seen go down either.   It will depend upon the market and what offers Columbus gets for him and how badly they want to move him.  I don't know how PLD and the expansion draft play into Columbus' thinking either.   Or even ours, for that matter.

I don't want to include some player that isn't expansion draft eligible for PLD only to then either expose him or have to expose someone else just to keep him.  Maybe that's over-thinking this.

But a still in prime Ghost who could just need a change could do it because the money works and cap space is tight around the league.  On the other hand, I'm really struggling to picture Ghost and Torts being able to exist on the same plane.

6 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Teams are going to be so scared of Morin on the wing, they'll just trade us their best players.

They'll wonder what that statue is, on the ice..too.

19 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

It depends, in 2017/18...yes. 

Can Ghost get back to being a 40-50 point defenseman? Then it's a pretty decent 1 to 1.

I value defensemen more than I do forwards. I think that is a league bias also.

Ghost doesn't suck, it is not as though he has no value and the Flyers need to add a pile of players to dump his contract, (which is reasonable and part of why he's a good trade option). Ghost and Laughton, 2 useful NHL players for 1 good NHL player? that's not a terrible deal- I'd think about doing that for sure. 

Dubois is the best player in this trade, but he's not so awesome Philly needs to wreck the farm system or punch a hole in the line up for him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is a deal that would cost you Frost and Ghost maybe. And i would do it.

The only issue really being able to get the rest of the team resigned when his deal is up.

When PLD is up for a new deal so will Giroux and Couturier as well as Braun and Hagg who i expect Braun to not even be there by then.

This is a guy every team in the NHL would be looking at taking. The price will be steep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't do that deal.

I wouldn't trade our top forward prospect and a legit NHL defenseman. I would trade "a" forward prospect or "an" NHL player.

Maybe Kekolienen laughs at my offer and that's okay. Quality for quality I know, Ghost isn't chopped liver and I think he slots into their d-corps pretty well in a 4-6 role. 

I'm not super familiar with their defense beyond Jones, Werenski and Savard so I don't know who Ghost would have to unseat.  

Ghost has a good shot, great lateral movement and can QB PP2 or contribute on PP1 depending on how they set up. He doesn't suck at defense either, Fonzi would either whip him into shape or banish him to Cleveland. 

Edit: the deal would need to make hockey sense too, So like I said, I don't know if CBJ needs Ghost.

Edited by mojo1917

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would make this trade.

Do it before the world realizes we've been oversold on Frost.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

oversold on Frost.

I would like to keep Frost around so when it comes time to pay Couturier and Giroux there is a "guy" maybe not the guy but guy around that can step in and soften the impact of their departure, should it happen.  I don't think the Flyers pay G on the next go round and I don't know if it makes sense to back the Brinks truck up for 30 year old 12 year vet Sean Couturier. I love both those players but I do see writing on the wall. 

I reckon DuBois could be the guy too, but anyway, thought I'd explain my reticence toward trading Frost. 

Edited by mojo1917

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

though I'd explain my reticence toward trading Frost. 

I've been right there with you.   Frost has been an untouchable for me.   I'm starting to have concerns.    See how camp and this season goes with him.   But I'm almost to "trade him now, his value will NEVER be higher!"

• Like 2