Pierre-Luc Dubois has asked for a trade , do we want him?

RonJeremy

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Here's to hoping that the Flyers front office, has the creativity to get him.

Well they need a center for sure now.

And they have Foligno and Bjorkstrand as their #1 and #2 RW so Laine bumps someone.

So their best bet it seems would be to try and move Laine for a center.

But hey that is just me. I mean if they do want to make the playoffs.

They have one win in 5 games maybe they plan on rebuilding and tanking who knows it's a mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Winnipeg got HOSED in this deal.

I wouldn't say that at all. I actually kind of think this is a good deal all around. Dubois is the more established of the bunch, so it makes sense he would command more than Laine does. They're different players of course, and ideally a team would have both, but that's not how trades like this work.

I guess the one tricky bit here is that WPG now has two viable top centers and no elite shooter, while CLS has has an elite sniper and no real top center to feed him pucks anymore. Also, if Torts had a problem is Dubois, he's going to absolutely hate Laine. 

Everything is projection at this point, but imo WPG will benefit more than CLS in the immediate time. If CLS can get a less ridiculous coach and a solid top C to feed Laine some pucks, that could change of course.

I could absolutely see Laine traded again in the not too distant future, if only because Torts is toxic, and I'm not sure he'll be very interested in that for very long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I wouldn't say that at all. I actually kind of think this is a good deal all around. Dubois is the more established of the bunch, so it makes sense he would command more than Laine does. They're different players of course, and ideally a team would have both, but that's not how trades like this work.

I guess the one tricky bit here is that WPG now has two viable top centers and no elite shooter, while CLS has has an elite sniper and no real top center to feed him pucks anymore. Also, if Torts had a problem is Dubois, he's going to absolutely hate Laine. 

Everything is projection at this point, but imo WPG will benefit more than CLS in the immediate time. If CLS can get a less ridiculous coach and a solid top C to feed Laine some pucks, that could change of course.

I could absolutely see Laine traded again in the not too distant future, if only because Torts is toxic, and I'm not sure he'll be very interested in that for very long.

I'm really curious to see how Laine is going to react, the first time Tortorella call him out in the media or in the locker room, because Laine doesn't backcheck hard on a winning goal for another team. You know that day will come.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I'm really curious to see how Laine is going to react, the first time Tortorella call him out in the media or in the locker room, because Laine doesn't backcheck hard on a winning goal for another team. You know that day will come.

Yep, 100%. Don't get me wrong, Laine in the right hands would be an absolute menace. Torts just doesn't have anywhere close to that level of coaching acumen. I mean, I hope I'm wrong for Laine's sake here, but my guess is they'll clash before the end of the season, and something will give on one side or the other.

Laine needs a coach who prefers an offensive style of play, and where he can get the spotlight he craves. Not a guy who publicly chastises players who don't block 20 shots a game. 

5 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Dubois is most definitely NOT the established player out of the bunch.  That's Laine and honestly,  it isn't even close.  And it's funny when people talk about Laine that he's not going to last long in Columbus. Tortorella loves offensive players. Brad Richard, Martin St Louis and Vincent Lecavalier all played incredibly well under his watch, so the motion that Laine won't play well under Tortorella is far fetched. Panarin played well. Is Tortorella demanding? Yep,  but if you do your job, you play.

Can Dubois end up being the best player in the deal? Possibly.  But let's not pretend that Patrick Laine,  he of 36, 44, 28 and 30 goal seasons, is some kind of chump change.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Yep,  but if you do your job, you play.

Therein lies the problem with Laine.

23 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Can Dubois end up being the best player in the deal? Possibly.  But let's not pretend that Patrick Laine,  he of 36, 44, 28 and 30 goal seasons, is some kind of chump change.

I don't think anyone called Laine chump change. You said the Jets got "hosed", which, let's face it, remains to be seen. Is Laine the better goal scorer? By far. Is Dubois the better all around player? By far. 

The Jets have been trying to find a trade partner for Laine for a heck of a lot longer than Columbus was for Dubois. There's a real reason all those goals seemed expendable. To me the worst part of this deal, for Winnipeg, is sending a good player for basically a 3rd.

• Like 2

Time will tell on who wins this trade.

So Laine signs a 2 year bridge deal to get him to UFA (there's no way he signs a deal that eats into his UFA years). On the ice, eventually, Torts runs out of patience with Laine , and vice versa. He gets to UFA and asks for $12 million, which he knows will trigger a trade. 

This scenario is not only a possible one, but a likely one. 

At which point Winnipeg wins the trade. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

I wonder if Columbus GM Kekäläinen being a Finn, and knowing/wanting Laine who is a Finn, might play into a plus for Winnipeg GM Cheveldayoff in the trade?

Just a random thought.

A plus for Columbus? - - 

PATRIK LAINE
RW, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen already had a working relationship with Patrik Laine thanks to Laine's time with Finland's World Cup squad.

The Blue Jackets got Laine from Columbus in a blockbuster trade involving Pierre-Luc Dubois. Kekalainen has already spoken to Laine and the general manager reported, "When I talked to him, he sounded very excited to come to Columbus, so that's a great start."

If Laine is happy in Columbus, then this trade should work out great for them. It's very rare to find a player with Laine's goal scoring abilities. He's the best goal scorer the Blue Jackets have had since Rick Nash.

The big X-Factor here is that Laine will be a restricted free agent this offseason. We'll see how those negotiations go and if both sides will agree on a long-term deal.

SOURCE: Jeff Svoboda on Twitter
Jan 23, 2021, 12:12 PM ET

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Dubois is most definitely NOT the established player out of the bunch.  That's Laine and honestly,  it isn't even close.

Hold up now. If anyone's tossing out chump change it's certainly not me. Laine is absolutely an elite player in this league, but to suggest PLD is "not even close" is pretty ridiculous.

Goals aren't everything mate. Is Laine the better sniper? Yep, for sure. He's also a 50 foot player who does just about one thing well, and even then he desperately needs a setup guy to shine. 

PLD is not a sniper. So certainly, if what you're valuing is that one thing, Laine is your guy. PLD is a gritty and skilled 1C who plays both sides very well. His faceoffs need work, but he's much more Couts than TK. Laine is the opposite. He's a poorer version of Ovechkin or a better version of Kessel. He does that one thing very well, but don't ask him to backcheck, go into corners, or create a ton of forecheck pressure -- that's just not his game. It is absolutely PLD's game though.

Again, both are very good, and both are very different. In terms of trade value though, I still think this is a pretty solid trade on both sides, and really only time will tell which of those two teams is able to benefit most from the player they just got.

And in terms of where Torts fits into this, he does well with offensive players who are also willing to play defense. Again, this is where Laine is quite literally abysmal. PLD on the other hand is very much that kind of guy. Was ego the thing that got between PLD and Torts? Well, here's some more news, Laine is hardly a passive guy who thinks he's just one of the bunch. Virtually every statement he's ever made amounts to bold claims on how he's the next Gr8.

Now, are we talking the Flyers here? If so, I would personally love to have Laine and probably more than Dubois at this point. That's because we need a sniper more than a two-way center. So again, different players, but the trade is a good one imo for both teams. It'll be a question of whatever the future holds in both cases. Also as I mentioned earlier, it seems notable to me how this leaves WPG with not much for elite shooting and CLS with a weak middle. So in both cases, they're gaining some to lose some.

I will say this, Scheifele is also a great centerpiece. So in that sense, it could be said WPG lost the deal in that they lost a solid shooting partner for their top center. But really, Laine's rep was pretty sour in WPG, so that may never have materialized anyway.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2