Pierre-Luc Dubois has asked for a trade , do we want him?

RonJeremy

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They aren't getting him....but they can ask all they want.

Columbus better not give him to the Rangers , they better demand the Rangers best prospects. I’m stilled pissed off they got the #2 and #1 pick two years in succession.

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Forget Dubois he wants to play for the Rangers.

Forget Laine.

Go after Barkov.

His contract is up after next season and said he want resign with Florida.

So spend the assets for that guy!!!

I send them Patrick, JVR, Frost and Cam York.

It may need more but it is a start to discussions!

Down the middle:

Barkov

Coots

Hayes

Laughton

Nope.  Flyers are good from a center aspect. They need a legitimate right handed defenseman to balance the roster.  Make the pitch for Dougie Hamilton when he becomes a UFA. Get that top fight player to go alongside Provorov. 

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nope.  Flyers are good from a center aspect. They need a legitimate right handed defenseman to balance the roster.  Make the pitch for Dougie Hamilton when he becomes a UFA. Get that top fight player to go alongside Provorov. 

So where does that money come from when Hart, Patrick and Sanheim and backup goalie also need new deals?

And the Flyers are ok at center but with Barkov, Coots, Hayes they would be arguable the deepest in the NHL.

22 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Columbus better not give him to the Rangers , they better demand the Rangers best prospects. I’m stilled pissed off they got the #2 and #1 pick two years in succession.

They may get him but Montreal wants him too.

Columbus will ask for Suzuki back and...

22 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Agreed.  How funny is it that the largest market in the NHL ends up with top 2 picks two years in a row.  I don't believe for Ione second that some sort of fix wasn't in. 

We get the Penguins who conveniently win the Crosby sweepstakes,  the Devils who win the Hughes sweepstakes and now the Dangers who win the Lafreniere sweepstakes. It's a farce. Do the draw live.  Throw all the balls in and do the draw that way for all to see. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So where does that money come from when Hart, Patrick and Sanheim and backup goalie also need new deals?

And the Flyers are ok at center but with Barkov, Coots, Hayes they would be arguable the deepest in the NHL.

We'll have to see what the cap situation looks like. I know it's flat for next year and the year after. On top of it, Hart, Patrick and Sanheim aren't going to get the big pay day that we all think they're going to get, especially in a flat cap situation. I fully expect that they'll sign for a moderate raise during the flat years, but then try to maximize after the flat years are done. 

As for Hamilton, I don't think he's getting a 7 or 8 million dollar deal this offseason. I think those days with those kind of contracts are going to be things of the past for the next little while. No one is going to tie up that kind of money anymore into those types of contacts. The current world conditions have changed all that. You might see a 7 million per year deal, but that's going to end up being rare. Honestly, I think you'll see 6 - 6.5 as the standard high numbers going forward.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Brandon Montour

Now I like his game.

But he is a UFA at seasons end.

So what do you give up for him?

I would swap him and Ghost but I need something like a 2nd or at least a 3rd back for a rental.

I know it's boring, but I don't trade for Hamilton, Montour or any of it. It's fun to talk about and I'm certainly not above it and like to talk about it too, but we have people coming that will keep the supply chain coming and the team extremely competitive and contenders.  While not having to blow up the team for cap reasons.  

So small moves to fill in gaps, like Gustafson, but I'm not trading for that level unless it's short term and equivalent money is going out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I know it's boring, but I don't trade for Hamilton, Montour or any of it. It's fun to talk about and I'm certainly not above it and like to talk about it too, but we have people coming that will keep the supply chain coming and the team extremely competitive and contenders.  While not having to blow up the team for cap reasons.  

So small moves to fill in gaps, like Gustafson, but I'm not trading for that level unless it's short term and equivalent money is going out.

Agree with ruxpin.

2021-22 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson (re-signed as a UFA after Expansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
Hagg - Zamula or Zamula - Friedman (RH)

#7 - Hagg or Braun (Hagg may be taken by the Kraken in Expansion Draft)

2022-23 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula
#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH)

Dynamic 6-man defence.

Philadelphia Flyers Defenceman Erik Gustafsson skates with the puck during the first period of a National Hockey League game between the Pittsburgh...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Hamilton, I don't think he's getting a 7 or 8 million dollar deal this offseason. I think those days with those kind of contracts are going to be things of the past for the next little while. No one is going to tie up that kind of money anymore into those types of contacts. The current world conditions have changed all that. You might see a 7 million per year deal, but that's going to end up being rare. Honestly, I think you'll see 6 - 6.5 as the standard high numbers going forward.

I hadn't really considered how the pandemic would impact future contracts, but you're right in that it's very possible. The owners have to be eating quite a bit of dirt this season with so little income from the games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zzeke said:

Agree with ruxpin.

2021-22 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson (re-signed as a UFA after Expansion Draft)
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
Hagg - Zamula or Zamula - Friedman (RH)

#7 - Hagg or Braun (Hagg may be taken by the Kraken in Expansion Draft)

2022-23 Season
Provorov - Gustafsson
Sanheim - Myers (RH)
York - Zamula
#7 - Hagg or Friedman (RH)

Dynamic 6-man defence.

Philadelphia Flyers Defenceman Erik Gustafsson skates with the puck during the first period of a National Hockey League game between the Pittsburgh...

Absolutely no to Gustafsson being part of this defense going forward.  He's a stop gap and nothing more. His defense,  which is primary characteristic and function of a defenseman, is nonexistent and putrid.  He's even worse than Ghost. His $3 million salary is better used elsewhere. 

26 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Absolutely no to Gustafsson being part of this defense going forward.  He's a stop gap and nothing more. His defense,  which is primary characteristic and function of a defenseman, is nonexistent and putrid.  He's even worse than Ghost. His $3 million salary is better used elsewhere. 

Totally disagree my friend.

IMO, ultimately AV will move Gus to that right side with Provorov - - -

- - -  after Gus' adjustment period to his new team, new system, and new coaching. AV is starting Gus with Hagg on the 3rd pair with the ease of communication with his home buddy and adjustment time.

Quote:

His [Gus] skill set, his ability to go back on pucks and make good decisions and transition the puck up the ice, we thought was a very important element to add to our group."  Fletcher.

It won't be long. Gus is a 4 year NHL veteran and has 1st pair experience playing with Duncan Keith.

Quotes:

At 28, Gustafsson has been around long enough to know the ropes on a top pairing. And besides playing with Keith, Gustafsson also had a chance to compete with other stars (forwards) such as three-time Stanley Cup champions Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews.

Gus is LH but has played almost exclusevly on the Right Side the last 3 years and prefers it. 

“I played a couple games on the left with Calgary (recently) but it didn’t feel right,’’ he [Gus] said. “So right now I’m used to playing on the right side. I feel more confident on the right side. Whatever the coaches want me to do, I play there.’’

“For the most part, I have liked what I have seen,” Vigneault said. “I do think as he [Gus] gets more familiar with the way we want to do things, the way we approach our preparation, our expectations — coaches to players — I think the more he understands, the better he is going to play. It is hard for someone coming into a new style of play, a new emphasis on different things, but he seems like a very good young man.”

Gustafsson has been “very receptive to the things I have told him, and Mike Yeo, who runs the D, has told him,” Vigneault said. “He’s picking it up every day, and that is what he needs to do if he is going to be an effective player for us.”

Left winger James van Riemsdyk has faced Gustafsson in NHL games and, now, in training-camp scrimmages.

“He’s super smooth,” van Riemsdyk said. “He moves the puck really well and is just a smart player all around. He’s definitely a guy we’re happy to have on our team. The last couple of days we’ve gotten a chance to do some power-play stuff with him and he is really good up top there, too. That will definitely be a big part of his contribution to the team.”

"[Gustafsson] has tremendous deception with the puck, tremendous poise," general manager Chuck Fletcher said. "We don't have a defenseman that sees the ice like he does, he can play on the power play. It's a different type of skill set than Matt ... there wasn't going to be that ability to replace Matt per se with the same style." 

"We think his (Gustafsson) skill set meshes really well with what we need," Fletcher said.

"We think we have a lot of strong defenders on our team and we're very structured defensively as a group. His skill set, his ability to go back on pucks and make good decisions and transition the puck up the ice, we thought was a very important element to add to our group." "Gustafsson’s just got tremendous deception and vision."

It will be interesting for us to watch Gus carefully for his skill set and his adjustment here with our Flyers. Already we have seen some good stuff in his defensive zone break-out work and on the 2nd Power Play unit.

Fletcher was wise to sign Gus to a 1 year contract. It protects from Gus being selected by Seattle in the July Expanson Draft and allows Fletcher to re-sign Gus assuming Gus has played well, Gus is happy here (including with his 3 Swede buddies), and there is mutual interest.

Optimistic for Gus' success on the top-pair with Provorov.

Pittsburgh Penguins Center Jared McCann and Philadelphia Flyers Defenceman Erik Gustafsson battle for the puck during the second period of a National...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

Gus is trash. Pure trash.  Not a single bit of defensive acumen in him.  Chicago saw it,  Calgary saw it and we're witnessing it.  He's an absolute disaster in his end.  He's filler until the chin can find a viable right handed defenseman.  He won't be around next year and I fully expect he ends up in ether the KHL or SEL. 

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now I like his game.

But he is a UFA at seasons end.

So what do you give up for him?

I would swap him and Ghost but I need something like a 2nd or at least a 3rd back for a rental.

So you're saying to trade and then have negotiating rights?

Or are you thinking more money needs to go out to make the cap #s work? 

I have to think if the only asset spent is $ and cap space, that is win for the player and our team.

I wouldn't want to give up an asset and then have the guy Hamhuis us. 

Hamilton would be a great add to this d-corps. I do wonder if he'd be well liked by the fans, he doesn't eat and drink hockey and I don't think he grimaces when he skates.  I think if his play slips or he has a bad stretch the fans would turn on him pretty quickly. 

I have to say I am in the Ruxpin camp of smaller transactions, I like our team it would be suboptimal to let guys like Patrick walk as they're hitting their prime because there's no cap space...adding the new shiny guy almost guarantees a departure of a quality home grown player who will win many championships elsewhere. 

Other side of the coin, our top pair needs attention so if something can be done to address that, awesome. I still think there might be a guy in house who could help, Mark Friedman, but  I reckon he's not showing out in practice.  

Try him out on Provorov's right, or see if Myers works there and what a Freidman, Sanheim pair looks like. 

Braun didn't look very good vs Pgh.

Edited by mojo1917

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I have to say I am in the Ruxpin camp of smaller transactions, I like our team it would be suboptimal to let guys like Patrick walk as they're hitting their prime because there's no cap space...adding the new shiny guy almost guarantees a departure of a quality home grown player who will win many championships elsewhere. 

I always wanted my own camp.  I can retire happy now.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So you're saying to trade and then have negotiating rights?

Well you would i guess have his rights till the year ended otherwise no he would be a free agent on July 1st and could sign anywhere.

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Or are you thinking more money needs to go out to make the cap #s work? 

I have to think if the only asset spent is $ and cap space, that is win for the player and our team.

I wouldn't want to give up an asset and then have the guy Hamhuis us. 

No it would be with the intentions of letting him (Brandon Montour) walk more than likely at end of season of course unless he blows our socks off playing so well like Niskanen did. 

Otherwise it would be more of moving a guy who doesn't fit in Ghost, instead of losing him for nothing in the expansion draft and getting a rental and the 2nd pick which is really a solid return considering if he stayed and the Kraken took him and you're left with nothing.

I think you think i am talking about Hamilton but i would prefer Montour first. 

I mean i like Hamilton too kind of but it would require more salary going out to make it work.

And it would allow you to still sign a Hamilton if that is what you wanted to do at end of the season.

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I have to say I am in the Ruxpin camp of smaller transactions

Which is what i would want to which i why i was talking about @BobbyClarkeFan16 idea of Montour over Hamilton idea.

Ghost salary 4.5 mill X 3 years

Montour salary 3.8 mill UFA

Hamilton salary 5.75 mill UFA

So Ghost to Buffalo for Montour and a 2nd. Would be my want.

Then if he doesn't work i walk away with a 2nd something in hand and Ghost finds a new home.

Montour is better in his end and is pretty physical which is what the Flyers need.

You move for Hamilton who else is going out to make room???

Provorov - Montour

Sanehim - Myers

Hagg - Gustafsson

Braun - Friedman

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

If Dubois wants to screw up his career, then yes: Montréal is the best destination. 

I don't know i have to say Montreal looks to be turning things around i think they have a very good club i seen it this past playoff run they impressed me they need some more size and another scorer.

I mean down the middle Dubois, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Evans is pretty solid still.

And Josh Anderson can do both. However it does all seem like now they are getting the rest of the team together now and perfect timing for Price's skills to start eroding.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I wasn't thinking about a rental- thanks for being patient there.

No problem. So which do you like???

Ghost

for 

Montour

2nd

or 

Ghost

and ?????? pick a player for cap relief.

for

Hamilton

I mean you should be able to at least get a 3rd since Ghost wouldn't be a rental.

• Like 1

I'm not really too familiar with Montour. 

I guess I'll pay attention to him the next couple of games. 

But, a player who is young with a right hand shot and a little snarl would be a nice compliment to Provorov.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not really too familiar with Montour. 

Mute the not good music.

And he is only 26 years old not a bad option for Ivan i think.

Some solid hands and wheels for defenseman.

Edited by OccamsRazor