2020-21 Iowa Wild and Prospects

Alexandron

I decided to start that new topic, because it is a time for it. 

Congrats to the 2021 WJC-20 winner - USA team and to our prospect Mathew Boldy, who was a huge part of that superb team. He had in 7 games of the tournament 7 points(5goals;2 assists;+/- +3). The final USA game against the Canada team was outstanding in any team's lines as well as goaltending and ended with a shutout 2:0.

The other news - Ivan Lodnia is coming from KHL to AHL to join the Iowa Wild team this season. For the Dinamo Minsk team, KHL he had 7 points(1 goal;6 assists; +/- -3) in 27 played games. Hope, he will be more productive in the Iowa Wild uniform. I am expecting the interesting season for the Iowa Wild team because we are going to see more new faces and discovering a talent in it.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You are right.
Time for a new thread for a new season and new faces.

Locked last year's thread and pinned this one to the top.
Enjoy.

Thanks a lot TropicalFruitGirl26! 

• 2 weeks later...

I like so far how Nikita Nesterenko is producing for the Boston College - in 10 played games is having 10 points (5 goals;5 assists;+/- +7). He is doing much better during his 1st year than Boldy did during his 1st year a year ago.  But Boldy improved well this season at Boston College - in 8 played games is having 11 points (4 goals;7 assists; +/- +8) as well as at WJC-20 2021.

Out of other prospects still merit a highest attention defenseman Brennan Menell(Dinamo Minsk,KHL) - in 35 played games is having 28 points (5 goals;23 assists; +/- +7).

I do not know if Stepan Falkovsky is our prospect any more, but still I would like to bring our attention. First of all he is a Zdeno Chara size, and it seems he is developing into an offensively minded defenseman. He also is playing together with our other prospect Brennan Menell at Dinamo Minsk team,KHL and is having already 6 goals; 5 assists;+/- +11 in 24 played games there. Last season he was playing at ECHL for Allen Americans team and had 41 points in 46 played games (15 goals;26 assists; +/- +16).

I don't think of Falkovsky as a viable prospect.  He's having a decent season in the #KHL, but he's not putting up Brennan Menell numbers.  The player I think that worked his way back onto the Wild prospect radar is Filip Johansson who is having a pretty rock solid season with Frolunda this year.  He's shooting the puck a lot more and finding the back of the net too.  Strange but true, perhaps we have a nice late bloomer on our hands folks!  

• Like 2

Falkovsky and Menell each added an assist to the last Dinamo Minsk win over Severstal team (2:1). 

Alexander Khovanov  now is a 2nd player in stats for the Bars Kazan team (in 24 played games is having 19 points(7 goals;12 assists;+/- +4).

On 1/26/2021 at 3:22 PM, Alexandron said:

Falkovsky and Menell each added an assist to the last Dinamo Minsk win over Severstal team (2:1). 

Alexander Khovanov  now is a 2nd player in stats for the Bars Kazan team (in 24 played games is having 19 points(7 goals;12 assists;+/- +4).

The team Khovanov is playing for isn't the KHL one, its the VHL one (Rus. Junior) in case anyone didn't know that.  

On 1/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

The team Khovanov is playing for isn't the KHL one, its the VHL one (Rus. Junior) in case anyone didn't know that.  

Yes LIG, he is playing now in VHL. But they have slightly more complicated levels of hockey leagues for the player preparation. Probably similar to the variations of American and Canadian leagues.

VHL(Supreme Hockey  League) is one step down of KHL. Probably, I would compare that league with our farm AHL league, but not all their teams are affiliated to KHL.

Here is a link to read about VHL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Hockey_League

And the other league MHL (Junior Hockey League) is 2 steps down of KHL. Probably, I would compare that league with our OHL league.

Here is a link to read about MHL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Hockey_League_(Russia)

Interesting fact, that if Khovanov was moved to VHL after trying few games in KHL, but our other 2 prospects (Guskov and Khusnutdinov) had a tryout at KHL and VHL , and then they were moved to MHL. If they will play well in MHL then they will have a chance to go up to VHL or even KHL.

Time will show for all of them, how good they are there in progression.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Or they get sent up to the SGHL (Siberian Gulag Hockey League)...🇷🇺

You have a weird fantasy. Guskov and Khusnutdinov already had a tryouts in KHL at their 18-19 y.o.age, but not ready yet as well as Khovanov. And here some fresh examples, Anas played in Iowa for 5 seasons and had zero games in the big club. Menell superbly productive defenseman from Minnesota still is unsigned, who played 3 seasons in Iowa and now is shinning in KHL. Sokolov (40-50 goals scorer in OHL; very productive finisher in AHL) 3 seasons is playing in Iowa and had zero games in the big club. Something is not right in that life as well as with COVID dealing. 

It was interesting to see Johnson, Rau and Mayhew playing in the big club. Their will to perform compensated for the lack of experience and skills. We could probably be a lot freer in trying these baby Wilds in the big club, with very little points lost. 

• Like 1

Iowa Wild team started their new season against the Texas Stars team by losing the first game (score 4:8; goalie in the net -Jones) and by winning the second one (score 4:1; goalie in the net- Baribeau). In both games first straight goal was able to place Dmitri Sokolov. The other promising forward is Connor Dewar who also was able to place a goal in each game and having an assist too. Defenseman Calen Addison is having 3 assists already in those games. Tonight is their 3rd game against the Texas Stars team.

Here is a link to read a game preview:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/game-preview-iowa-wild-vs-texas-stars-11

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Iowa Wild team started their new season against the Texas Stars team by losing the first game (score 4:8; goalie in the net -Jones) and by winning the second one (score 4:1; goalie in the net- Baribeau). In both games first straight goal was able to place Dmitri Sokolov. The other promising forward is Connor Dewar who also was able to place a goal in each game and having an assist too. Defenseman Calen Addison is having 3 assists already in those games. Tonight is their 3rd game against the Texas Stars team.

Here is a link to read a game preview:

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/game-preview-iowa-wild-vs-texas-stars-11

Looking good!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Looking good!

I agree those players are looking good so far. I will add another player Gabriel Dumont to a promising trio (Sokolov,Dewar,Addison). Last night they lost in OT (final score was 2:3), but Dumont placed both goals into Stars net and having now 4 points(3 goals;1 assist) in 3 games.

• Like 1

I would like to mention 2 promising rookies who started their season at Iowa Wild team:

- LW forward Adam Beckman(19 y.o.) in 4 played games is  having already 3 points (2 goals;1 assist; +/- - 1). Last season he had 107 points (48 goals;59 assists; +/- +44) at WHL when played for Spokane Chiefs team.

- power defenseman Fedor Gordeev (6'7" ; 225 lbs) had his 1st point (assist) in his first game in Iowa Wild uniform.

• Like 1

Just found out that our promising prospect Marat Khusnutdinov is out for at least 4 months due to the unfortunate shoulder injury during the 1st international game against the Finland team.

Here is a link to watch how this is happened:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1359885033042038785