Sabres season opener tonight vs Ovy and the big bad Capitals

Buffalo Rick

It will be strange to see Chara in a Capitals uniform.  It will be nice to see Hall and Stahl in Sabres blue and gold.  From top to bottom the Sabres lineup has plenty to like, except of course the goaltending. I am not sure but CBS has Ulmark listed as the number one goalie, as he should be. Hutton has to get his act together.   I am shocked he is still here.  Adams has done a very good job in the off season but one thing he did not do is get rid of Hutton.  Now Hutton was good in St Louis. He was just as good as Jake Allen and maybe a tad better.   He hit bottom the last two seasons. Not sure why?  But maybe he needs to look no farther than Josh Allen to see how a guy can pick himself up. The Bills have inspired Jack Eichel for sure.  He has talked about the Bills success.  The Sabres will be watching Saturday I am very sure. I am just hoping they find some fast chemistry and the goaltending is at least average. They might not have to stand on their heads if everyone else does their job as someone else here told me.  I am not sure how Krueger will mix the lines. I would think on a power play he would use Eichel, Hall and Reinhart or Stahl on his first line? Skinner?  Not sure.  Olofsson will be a big piece also.  On the blue line Risto and Dahlin will be expected to come through and of course we know Krueger is in love with this kid Jokuharu or however you spell his ridiculous name. I am not looking names up, you get the idea.  I still think he received too much ice time. If he works out, then hooray for Krueger. Krueger is on the clock.  He has players on this team.  Talent. Its on Adams as far as the goaltending. 

Lets Go Buff a Lo!!!!!!  

And  Go Bills!!!

10 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

It will be strange to see Chara in a Capitals uniform.  It will be nice to see Hall and Stahl in Sabres blue and gold.  From top to bottom the Sabres lineup has plenty to like, except of course the goaltending. I am not sure but CBS has Ulmark listed as the number one goalie, as he should be. Hutton has to get his act together.   I am shocked he is still here.  Adams has done a very good job in the off season but one thing he did not do is get rid of Hutton.  Now Hutton was good in St Louis. He was just as good as Jake Allen and maybe a tad better.   He hit bottom the last two seasons. Not sure why?  But maybe he needs to look no farther than Josh Allen to see how a guy can pick himself up. The Bills have inspired Jack Eichel for sure.  He has talked about the Bills success.  The Sabres will be watching Saturday I am very sure. I am just hoping they find some fast chemistry and the goaltending is at least average. They might not have to stand on their heads if everyone else does their job as someone else here told me.  I am not sure how Krueger will mix the lines. I would think on a power play he would use Eichel, Hall and Reinhart or Stahl on his first line? Skinner?  Not sure.  Olofsson will be a big piece also.  On the blue line Risto and Dahlin will be expected to come through and of course we know Krueger is in love with this kid Jokuharu or however you spell his ridiculous name. I am not looking names up, you get the idea.  I still think he received too much ice time. If he works out, then hooray for Krueger. Krueger is on the clock.  He has players on this team.  Talent. Its on Adams as far as the goaltending. 

Lets Go Buff a Lo!!!!!!  

And  Go Bills!!!

First, go Sabres tonight!

The team is looking good with its additions of Hall & Stahl.   If they can get Skinner back 2018-19 form, they should be very fun to watch.

Hutton's problem, I think, is exactly what my concern was when the Sabres were signing him from St. Louis:   he's simply not an NHL starting goaltender.   He'll do well in the right circumstance and with 20-30 starts in a normal season.  But as a regular starter, he becomes exposed.   Plus, honestly, the Sabres' defense was not on par with what was in front of him in St. Louis.   But the crux of it isn't the defense, I honestly think it's just Hutton was a really bad gamble as a starter.  But he was also kind of a bridge, so maybe he's served his purpose.    Hopefully the kid comes up soon and Buffalo will be pretty scary.

Good luck to you and the Sabres this year!

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

First, go Sabres tonight!

The team is looking good with its additions of Hall & Stahl.   If they can get Skinner back 2018-19 form, they should be very fun to watch.

Hutton's problem, I think, is exactly what my concern was when the Sabres were signing him from St. Louis:   he's simply not an NHL starting goaltender.   He'll do well in the right circumstance and with 20-30 starts in a normal season.  But as a regular starter, he becomes exposed.   Plus, honestly, the Sabres' defense was not on par with what was in front of him in St. Louis.   But the crux of it isn't the defense, I honestly think it's just Hutton was a really bad gamble as a starter.  But he was also kind of a bridge, so maybe he's served his purpose.    Hopefully the kid comes up soon and Buffalo will be pretty scary.

Good luck to you and the Sabres this year!

Hey Rux.  Good to see your ok!  With Covid I never know.  I am disgusted that we are going with Hutton on opening night.  Ullmark was listed as number 1?  I still trust him more.  Edmonton let me down last night.  Tonight I put a small parlay on Sabres and Vegas.  I think Washington is a bit old and it might take them longer to get going?  That said and they probably score 6 in first period.  I don’t get Kruy.  Why would you put Tage Thompson on wing with Eichel and Hall?  I want to see them with Reinhardt or Skinner on power plays with Risto and Dahlin.  If things go south early, I’ll be calling for his job.

Go Bills!!  Some heavy hitters in Vegas said today they expect the Bills to get it done.  Allen is best player we have ever had!  

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Go Bills!!  Some heavy hitters in Vegas said today they expect the Bills to get it done.  Allen is best player we have ever had!  

I'm actually cheering for the Bills, so hopefully that doesn't jinx them.   I think they beat the Ravens.   KC is a really tall order.  It's possible, for sure, but it's a tall order.

Skinner may have to prove himself again.  He did the same "I'll play when I feel like it" in Carolina.   I think in the contract year, it was in his best interest to feel like it.   He could play well, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't have much motivation to be as good as he could really be.

I can only imagine the choice to put Tage on the first line is an attempt to spread the offense or balance the lines somehow.   I mean, I get it, but it probably wouldn't have been my first choice either.  See how it goes.  I'm thinking it's not written in stone if it doesn't go well.  This has to be one of the down sides to not really having preseason and getting the chance to see what works in an actual game or two that don't matter.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm actually cheering for the Bills, so hopefully that doesn't jinx them.   I think they beat the Ravens.   KC is a really tall order.  It's possible, for sure, but it's a tall order.

Skinner may have to prove himself again.  He did the same "I'll play when I feel like it" in Carolina.   I think in the contract year, it was in his best interest to feel like it.   He could play well, but he strikes me as a guy that doesn't have much motivation to be as good as he could really be.

I can only imagine the choice to put Tage on the first line is an attempt to spread the offense or balance the lines somehow.   I mean, I get it, but it probably wouldn't have been my first choice either.  See how it goes.  I'm thinking it's not written in stone if it doesn't go well.  This has to be one of the down sides to not really having preseason and getting the chance to see what works in an actual game or two that don't matter.

Another predictable loss with Hutton in the nets.  I found out why he was in the nets.   Because of Cuomo and his quarantine rules on Ullmark.  Ullmark got in later from Europe.  So he was quarantined.  I hope he can play tonight.   Can you imagine Hutton on a back to back night?  Talk about a shooting gallery.  Ullmark must start, I do not care he has not practiced.  i can play better than Hutton.   He sucks.  I ripped Adams in several Tweets telling him him and his coach suck and they need to get out.  I said that keeping Hutton was a joke.  I said for him to get rid of Hutton a million times over the off season. Bastards.  The team fought but I turned it off when it was 3-1.  Went to bed and thought about the only game that means anything. Lamar and his first snowball fight.  Saturday night.  There are many opposing opinions on the game. I really like our chances to get to KC.  But I am not counting the Browns out at all.  KC barely beat Atlanta, and I expect will be rusty.  3 weeks is a long time to rest Mahomes.  I would take Allen over any QB. He can throw with the best and he can run, and can run over big defenders.  He is the total package. Back to hockey, Hall played a good first night. As did Olofsson. Eichel has had much better games but its only one game. Hutton is our weak link.  I expect Linus Ullmark will carry the brunt of the load once they are in full swing.  I hope.  I would release Hutton and call up one of those young punks.  Your Flyers are picked by some to win the division. You have a solid goalie so you  will be no worse than 2nd or 3rd and be in the playoffs.  I think the Sabres are good enough on paper to make the playoffs BUT, the goaltending might be the thing that kills. us. Right now I am only thinking of Saturday night. Ill have time to think about the Sabres another day.  My Orioles might actually be more of a surprise.  I like their young pitching lineup and I am hopeful they will be a real surprise.   Stay safe down there.  This damn vaccine is on the way they say.  I hope we can trust the whole process.