Game 2: Penguins at Flyers; 1/15/21 @ 7 PM; CSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Will we get out the broom or will the Pens even things up?  This game is likely to be closer and Jarry will get yanked over a three-spot:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/1-15-2021/pittsburgh-penguins-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-6741/

We are becoming a premier home team while Pit is weak on the road.   One computer model show this as Flyers 5, Pens 2.  

LGF,

Howie

Coool for Game 1 - - all 4 lines scored goals, and all 12 forwards got points. Awesome! Depth.

For Game 2, AV said this at practice on Thursday:

"After watching the game and talking with my staff, there is no doubt that I feel we can be better 5 on 5. We did finish on some of our opportunities, but we spent more time than we needed to in our zone.

Mind you, I don’t want to take anything away from them [Pens]. They are a real strong team with great one on one players and great players that can do a lot of things off the rush," Vigneault said.

"Our five on five play coming back into our end and making the right plays to come out, we need to be better. There is no doubt that I thought they played a real strong game 5-on-5 and we are going to need to be better tomorrow."

Erik Gustafsson of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrates his first period power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins with Nolan Patrick, Jakub...

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

Interest level in our Flyers is high.

Game 2 Friday night - - - let's break the record again - - - 

PENGUINS-FLYERS OPENING NIGHT MATCHUP IS NBCSN’S MOST-WATCHED NHL REGULAR-SEASON GAME ON RECORD

Penguins-Flyers is NBC Sports’ Most-Streamed Regular-Season Game on Record; Last Night is NBC Sports’ Most-Streamed Opening Night on Record

STAMFORD, Conn. – Jan. 14, 2021 – The first game of the 2020-21 NHL season between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers averaged a Total Audience Delivery (TAD) of 972,000 viewers last night on NBCSN, making it the network’s most-watched regular-season game on record.

Flyers Score !!   animated smileys televison

• Like 1

Projected lineups (subject to change)

FLYERS

23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 86 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl- 21 Scott Laughton- 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 56 Erik Gustafsson

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

PP1: Provorov, Giroux, Hayes, Couturier, TK
PP2: Farabee, JVR, Patrick, Voracek, Gustafsson

Flightless birds.
PENGUINS

59 Jake Guentzel - 87 Sidney Crosby - 9 Evan Rodrigues
16 Jason Zucker - 71 Evgeni Malkin - 17 Bryan Rust
19 Jared McCann - 14 Mark Jankowski - 13 Brandon Tanev
18 Sam Lafferty - 53 Teddy Blueger - 7 Colton Sceviour

8 Brian Dumoulin - 58 Kris Letang
5 Mike Matheson - 6 John Marino
28 Marcus Pettersson - 4 Cody Ceci

35 Tristan Jarry
[1 Casey DeSmith]

PP1: Rust, Crosby, Guentzel, Malkin, Letang.
PP2: Pettersson, Zucker, McCann, Rodrigues, Marino.

Scratches: 2 Chad Ruhwedel (healthy), 42 Kasperi Kapanen (COVID-19 protocol), 50 Juuso Riikola (heal

Edited by intheslot
added letters

11 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Coool for Game 1 - - all 4 lines scored goals, and all 12 forwards got points. Awesome! Depth.

For Game 2, AV said this at practice on Thursday:

"After watching the game and talking with my staff, there is no doubt that I feel we can be better 5 on 5. We did finish on some of our opportunities, but we spent more time than we needed to in our zone.

Mind you, I don’t want to take anything away from them [Pens]. They are a real strong team with great one on one players and great players that can do a lot of things off the rush," Vigneault said.

"Our five on five play coming back into our end and making the right plays to come out, we need to be better. There is no doubt that I thought they played a real strong game 5-on-5 and we are going to need to be better tomorrow."

Erik Gustafsson of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrates his first period power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins with Nolan Patrick, Jakub...

I appreciate AV's insight.

He's right, I do think the Flyers are better but the Pens are a good hockey club that will beat the Flyers if they don't pay attention to detail.

I thought the second PK looked spectacular until the miracle Crosby play. The Pens had 10 seconds of zone time before that dump in. 

I just hope both teams have fun.

@Podein25

Going to be drinking a Moscow mule tonight, going to float some blueberries to make it "healthy'"

Also going to see how my "Oscar Strong" shirt effects the outcome of an event miles away that I am not participating in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I appreciate AV's insight.

He's right, I do think the Flyers are better but the Pens are a good hockey club that will beat the Flyers if they don't pay attention to detail.

I thought the second PK looked spectacular until the miracle Crosby play. The Pens had 10 seconds of zone time before that dump in. 

I just hope both teams have fun.

@Podein25

Going to be drinking a Moscow mule tonight, going to float some blueberries to make it "healthy'"

Also going to see how my "Oscar Strong" shirt effects the outcome of an event miles away that I am not participating in.

@mojo1917

I wore my Oskar Strong shirt on Wednesday and it worked out just fine! 

• Like 2

Hello:

I will probably stick with usual fermented grape juice but might channel AV with  a martini.  

This is a match between two teams ironing out lineups, particularly the Pens on defense.  That has been a question for them going into the season.  If we do well on scoring--I might eat words and say AV and the gang have it right.  

I respect Pitt and think Rutherford is a wily GM.  That said, I see us and our next opponent, Buffalo, as teams on the way up.  Malkin, Crosby, and company may be trending down.  I think NJ and NYR will be our archenemies in a year or two.  

41 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hello:

I will probably stick with usual fermented grape juice but might channel AV with  a martini.  

This is a match between two teams ironing out lineups, particularly the Pens on defense.  That has been a question for them going into the season.  If we do well on scoring--I might eat words and say AV and the gang have it right.  

I respect Pitt and think Rutherford is a wily GM.  That said, I see us and our next opponent, Buffalo, as teams on the way up.  Malkin, Crosby, and company may be trending down.  I think NJ and NYR will be our archenemies in a year or two.  

Actually, Carolina may be another Beast in the East.  The NY area team have the longer history. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, I don't even have to ask what people are drinking anymore. This is why I love Flyer nation.

I love you guys man. Give me a hug, my cat died.

Sorry to hear about your cat...here's a hug!!!

• Good Post 1

Game Day - Game 2

Because of practice yesterday Thursday, no morning skate today - - -

- - - except for those other than the 20 (19) who will play tonight's game:

Roster player extras:

Frost (C)

Friedman (D)

Elliott (G)

(Ghost is still in the protocol.)

and - 

Flyers Taxi squad players:

Connor Bunnaman (C/LW/)
Carsen Twarynski (LW)
Andy Andreoff (C)
Samuel Morin (LW/D)
Nate Prosser (D)
Alex Lyon (G)

Flyers hope top seed in East leads to Stanley Cup title

Edited by Zzeke

Just now, Podein25 said:

Jesus, first they put Morin at wing now moving Friedman to center, diabolical man. 

Ha! You are quick. I caught that also and quickly edited.

With that quickness, you must be a goaltender?

1 minute ago, Zzeke said:

Ha! You are quick. I caught that also and quickly edited.

With that quickness, you must be a goaltender?

Lol, no it's the mind that is was quick, not so much the reflexes. I was a center, took a lot of faceoffs, play D now as an old fart. Yourself, you played?

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, no it's the mind that is was quick, not so much the reflexes. I was a center, took a lot of faceoffs, play D now as an old fart. Yourself, you played?

Not organized hockey. Just weekend pick-up hockey as an off-wing RW at local Philadelphia area rinks when in my early 30s - - - that was almost 50 years ago. Yes, I'm almost 80.

animated smileys sport      animated smileys sport

Spent some time here:

animated smileys sport

Love this sport of hockey. Love our Flyers. Love the excellent group of posters here. Sharp guys/gals.

• Like 3

Just now, Podein25 said:

No way! You don't act like you are 80! 

I fake it with words that Millennials and Generation Y & Z use like:

Frenemy
Ginormous
Epic
GOAT
Lit
Salty
Throw shade
Woke

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Zzeke said:

I fake it with words that Millennials and Generation Y & Z use like:

Frenemy
Ginormous
Epic
GOAT
Lit
Salty
Throw shade
Woke

My dude, those are some good ones. I try to do that too, drives Podein25 Junior bonkers. She is an actual Millennial, so it's hilarious. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Not organized hockey. Just weekend pick-up hockey as an off-wing RW at local Philadelphia area rinks when in my early 30s - - - that was almost 50 years ago. Yes, I'm almost 80.

Dear Zzeke:

I suspect you are the Dean of the Family/Forum.  God bless you! We are glad to have you on board.  

• Like 2