Tony DeAngelo Saga: Where Will It End?

TropicalFruitGirl26

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Truly Amazing. They will blame Flyer teams of the past for anything

Im pretty sure Dave Schultz invented Covid

And Bob Kelly is responsible for hunting the snipe into extinction. (if you don't know what I'm talking about read Schultz' book...it's a great story.)

On 2/1/2021 at 1:27 PM, Podein25 said:

Sadly, I assume that's where it comes from, in large part. You know, I was a total racist POS growing up white in northern Manitoba, even though I had teammates who were Indigenous. But, the thing is, I evolved as a human being. 

Some of us have never been racist at any point in our lives though. I think that's an important distinction to make. The implication today from mainstream media is that we're ALL racist until specifically "educated" to be otherwise. The reverse is true. People are not inherently racist until "educated" to be otherwise.

Growing up in "all white Manitoba" doesn't make you a racist any more than growing up in "all black New Orleans" or "all Indian Yukon". The whole "white guilt" thing itself is an example of modern day racism against white people. 

Anyway, if this guy is a cancer in the locker room, fighting his own teammates, he's going to find himself bounced out of the NHL pretty soon. But if this is another case of someone trying to push this guy out of the NHL for having the "wrong" political opinion then we all know where I stand on that issue.  :) 

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Some of us have never been racist at any point in our lives though. I think that's an important distinction to make. The implication today from mainstream media is that we're ALL racist until specifically "educated" to be otherwise. The reverse is true. People are not inherently racist until "educated" to be otherwise.

Growing up in "all white Manitoba" doesn't make you a racist any more than growing up in "all black New Orleans" or "all Indian Yukon". The whole "white guilt" thing itself is an example of modern day racism against white people. 

Anyway, if this guy is a cancer in the locker room, fighting his own teammates, he's going to find himself bounced out of the NHL pretty soon. But if this is another case of someone trying to push this guy out of the NHL for having the "wrong" political opinion then we all know where I stand on that issue.  :) 

No comment. Trying to be better. Trying.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This guy has had issues with teammates going back to his junior days. And that's just the ones I know of. I'd bet he had issues with teammates in his Novice and Peewee days.

Divas and primadonnas...which he seems to be, don't make it in the NHL, like they do in the other three major sport leagues. DeAngelo needs a lot of guidance, in getting his attitude right, or he'll find himself playing in the Swedish Elite League or somewhere else not named the NHL.

Edited by FD19372

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

Where-ever his team mates can't understand a word he is saying - easier for him, easier for the team.

Swedish guy to Russian guy "What's he saying?"

Russian to Swede "I don't know..but he's an asshole!"

• Haha 2

On 2/2/2021 at 7:54 AM, lynxrattle said:

Here's a video where Deangelo's dad talks about his son.

If Deangelo was in the army would he be ready to take the bullet for his brothers-in-arms, if they didn't think like him and look like him? He should go play individual sports, or join the army to learn what a team means. If he doesn't learn this, he's not much value to a hockey team. I hope he does learn, there's too many people like him to just totally quit on them.

Any veteran could see by his behavior that he would never merit an opportunity to serve. Those who slip through the cracks washout two weeks into boot camp...

4 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Divas and primadonnas...which he seems to be, don't make it in the NHL, like they do in the other three major sport leagues. DeAngelo needs a lot of guidance, in getting his attitude right, or he'll find himself playing in the Swedish Elite League or somewhere else not named the NHL.

No sport requires more team work than the NHL.  It's a very fluid game where you need everyone working together to win.  Baseball is a game of individuals performing individually, in sequence. Football is a game of a quarterback and a couple guys who can catch. Everyone else is just decoration. Basketball is a game of three or four star players who essentially ARE the whole team. Hockey is a sport of "foot soldiers" more than any other.  :) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Football is a game of a quarterback and a couple guys who can catch.

What about the long snapper? Can't forget about the long snapper

(this is private joke that many of the Flyer fans here will get)

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Any veteran could see by his behavior that he would never merit an opportunity to serve. Those who slip through the cracks washout two weeks into boot camp...

After watching that four minute video, now I like him lol.  :) 

(Of course, I don't know what he's said at the NHL level, so take with grain of salt.)

The moment it started talking about "sensitivity and diversity training" I was like, I see where this is going and snowflakes have no business being in pro sports. It's a game for men. Settle these issues among teammates. If your own team can't stand you, then clearly you are the problem!

If people want to use a military analogy, then I see it like this: Anyone who flips out over seeing a drop of blood should not be a soldier. Similarly, NHL players need to have thicker skin to handle criticism, both from players and from fans. Nobody is going to take the testosterone out of pro sports and expect people to keep watching. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

Boys will be boys. If Deangelo would learn to turn that spite against the correct target he would very valuable to the team.

When is a boy a man? He's 25.

When he was doing this crap as a teenager you hoped he'd grow up. He's still throwing fits when things don't go his way. The NHL has become a young mans game. He's played over 200 NHL games and is now heading for his 8th team in 6 years. He's a veteran, not a kid anymore.

• Like 3

You're right, of course. By the way things have gone with him he'll never change. And if everyone gives up on him, he'll definitely never change. It's doubtful, if he has it in him, even with the support of others. Never say never, though. If nobody hopes for better for him, there's definitely no hope for him and his alike.

4 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

You're right, of course. By the way things have gone with him he'll never change. And if everyone gives up on him, he'll definitely never change. It's doubtful, if he has it in him, even with the support of others. Never say never, though. If nobody hopes for better for him, there's definitely no hope for him and his alike.

Well, I actually like JVRs game so far for the most part this season. So there's always hope. 

Of course I fully expect him to take plenty of games off to make up for it. 

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

When is a boy a man? He's 25.

When he was doing this crap as a teenager you hoped he'd grow up. He's still throwing fits when things don't go his way. The NHL has become a young mans game. He's played over 200 NHL games and is now heading for his 8th team in 6 years. He's a veteran, not a kid anymore.

Exactly why every team in the NHL should be a hard pass....if you think you are gonna be the team that changes him, you are fooling yourself.

Here is some more Tony D stuff.
FWIW, he apparently DOES have supporters in the NHL community.

Ex-Rangers player Tony DeAngelo bares soul in interview (nypost.com)

Former defense pair partner with the Rangers, Marc Staal, now with Detroit, said some Red Wings players were "curious" about him.
Might he end up in Detroit at some point? Under the same GM (Steve Yzerman) who drafted him in Tampa Bay....only to trade him away to Arizona before he ever saw NHL ice with the Lightning?

Could be interesting.

• Thanks 1