Coots is out two weeks

Mad Dog

https://www.tsn.ca/philadelphia-flyers-sean-couturier-out-a-minimum-of-two-weeks-with-costochondral-seperation-1.1578339#:~:text=Philadelphia Flyers centre Sean Couturier,separation%2C the team announced Saturday.&text=Couturier was injured in the,period and did not return.

Costochondral rib separation.  I guess it could be worse.  The whispers were that late last night, the Flyers were afraid he would be gone for the rest of the season.  Obviously, it's a big blow, but given the Flyers' depth, I think it's manageable.  Also an opportunity for Frost to show what he can do playing in his natural position.

As MD posted - - the early oportunity for Frost to show he is ready for the NHL.

My take is that he is ready, and with these 8 or more games, he will get valuable experience and grow each game.

Repeat from my post in the other thread:

AV will probably insert Frost at 1C, and it gives the coaching staff an early look at Frost as he has worked very hard and has shown improvement in his weak areas. As we all know, Frost has great puck skills, shooting skills, and speed. He could be a scoring machine at the NHL level as the rest of his game improves.

As Couturier is out, Frost would be able to play his natural Center position. He has not played wing at any level of his hockey career.

Lindblom-Frost-Konecny
Giroux-Hayes-Farabee (this line has shown early chemistry)
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Aube Kubel 

#13-Bunnaman (up from Taxi Squad)

We won't freak-out at the thought of Frost on the 1st line. We all can simply think of the Hayes line as the 1st line for a number of games.

Hopefully Couturier's shoulder is not serious and he is truely back after approx 8 games.

So far, It's only a 2 game small sample size. There are many aspects of lines and players play to observe and evaluate.

The coaching staff has constructed these lines through evaluation over the off-season and through Camp. AV most likely will not re-shuffle because of the Couturier vacancy, IMO. He will want these lines to continue to learn to sync together and not change-up after only 2 games.

Assuming Frost plays 'well-to-great', and Couturier returns. then it will be interesting here with all of us pseudo GMs/Coaches giving our plan. Frost has not played wing at any level of his hockey career.

But, that is a few weeks away.

This line has shown good chemistry in these first two games, and it will only get better:

Kevin Hayes of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrates his third period goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins with Philippe Myers, Joel Farabee, Claude...

Virtual Sports Injury Clinic - Sports Injuries

Costochondral Separation

A Costochondral separation, sometimes known as a rib separation, usually occurs after a direct impact to the chest. One or more ribs become separated from the costochondral joint (made from cartilage) which is also attached to the breastbone. The area will be very painful, especially when breathing deeply, and it can take several months to fully recover.

Symptoms of a costochondral separation include a sudden point of pain where the rib meets the chest bone or sternum. Patients often describe a popping sensation. The initial pain may subside, only to gradually get worse again. Pain is acute with deep breaths, coughing and sneezing.

Treatment is mostly rest. Seek medical attention to rule out any complications such as a fractured rib or pneumothorax. Your Doctor may prescribe painkillers to ease your discomfort and allow you to breathe more normally. This injury will usually take around 2-3 months to heal fully.

Brian Dumoulin of the Pittsburgh Penguins checks Sean Couturier of the Philadelphia Flyers during the third period at the Wells Fargo Center on...

28 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Treatment is mostly rest. Seek medical attention to rule out any complications such as a fractured rib or pneumothorax. Your Doctor may prescribe painkillers to ease your discomfort and allow you to breathe more normally. This injury will usually take around 2-3 months to heal fully.

I looked it up and that's the question that I found unanswered... Just about every source of info on this injury mentions that the recovery is 2-3 months.  Yet the Flyers are putting his absence as a minimum of 2 weeks.  I don't know... Either they just don't want to spread panic just yet, or they clearly know something we don't.  

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I looked it up and that's the question that I found unanswered... Just about every source of info on this injury mentions that the recovery is 2-3 months.  Yet the Flyers are putting his absence as a minimum of 2 weeks.  I don't know... Either they just don't want to spread panic just yet, or they clearly know something we don't.  

Hyperbaric Chamber innit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Key word.....minimum of 2 weeks. Probably gonna be longer. They always downplay injuries.

Well he played with a torn MCL in the playoffs a few years back so Coots is super human.

They need to make sure he is ready before he comes back they don't need him risking a further set back coming back to soon.

They have the depth to overcome one guy right now even though Coots isn't an ordinary dude.

14 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

From folks who have had the injury, the first ten days are nothing but pain. But after the pain subsides, you can do stuff. It's not healed, but you can get back to playing. So it seems like Coots' pain tolerance is going to be the limiting factor here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They need to make sure he is ready before he comes back they don't need him risking a further set back coming back to soon.

They have the depth to overcome one guy right now even though Coots isn't an ordinary dude.

Agreed.  He is an unquestioned team's MVP.  Well, he and Hart.  The Flyers cannot afford to risk his health.  I feel like with their depth, they can weather the storm for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zzeke said:

AV will probably insert Frost at 1C, and it gives the coaching staff an early look at Frost as he has worked very hard and has shown improvement in his weak areas. As we all know, Frost has great puck skills, shooting skills, and speed. He could be a scoring machine at the NHL level as the rest of his game improves.

As Couturier is out, Frost would be able to play his natural Center position. He has not played wing at any level of his hockey career.

Lindblom-Frost-Konecny
Giroux-Hayes-Farabee (this line has shown early chemistry)
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Aube Kubel 

#13-Bunnaman (up from Taxi Squad)

We won't freak-out at the thought of Frost on the 1st line. We all can simply think of the Hayes line as the 1st line for a number of games.

Hopefully Couturier's shoulder is not serious and he is truely back after approx 8 games.

So far, It's only a 2 game small sample size. There are many aspects of lines and players play to observe and evaluate.

The coaching staff has constructed these lines through evaluation over the off-season and through Camp. AV most likely will not re-shuffle because of the Couturier vacancy, IMO. He will want these lines to continue to learn to sync together and not change-up after only 2 games.

Assuming Frost plays 'well-to-great', and Couturier returns. then it will be interesting here with all of us pseudo GMs/Coaches giving our plan. Frost has not played wing at any level of his hockey career.

But, that is a few weeks away.

This line has shown good chemistry in these first two games, and it will only get better:

Kevin Hayes of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrates his third period goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins with Philippe Myers, Joel Farabee, Claude...

This morning (Sunday) at Flyers practice - 

And for us fans for tomorrow night's game - 

Edited by Zzeke

21 hours ago, Zzeke said:

I feel like Hayes and Patrick would get the nod at 1C before him though. They should frankly. Patrick has more to prove than anyone on this team. Give him top flight talent to work with and see if he can finally live up to his vaunted potential.

The other option of course would be moving Giroux back to center. I really hope they don't... but that's what happened last season. 

Edited by elmatus

So Frost is going to jump in between Oskar Lindblom and Travis Konecny.

Here were the Flyers' combinations at forward in Sunday's practice, according to The Athletic's Charlie O'Connor.

Claude Giroux-Kevin Hayes-Joel Farabee

James van Riemsdyk-Nolan Patrick-Jakub Voracek

Oskar Lindblom-Morgan Frost-Travis Konecny

Michael Raffl-Scott Laughton-Nicolas Aube-Kubel

"He deserves this opportunity to play with T.K. and Oskar," Vigneault said Sunday about Frost. "What went into our decision also was we feel that the other lines are building some chemistry. I think Hayesy's line is building chemistry, they had a real good first game, the second game was maybe a little bit more average there. I thought Nolan with James and Jakey are slowly but surely getting some good chemistry. And I like Scotty Laughton's line.

"Instead of shuffling everything; Morgan is considered to be a skilled, offensive player — well, I might as well put him in that role, and that role with T.K. and Oskar, he's playing with two pretty good players."

Frost's M.O. going back to his junior days is a dizzying type of playmaker. The 2017 first-round pick oozes creativity with a make-things-happen skill set. Frost, who is in his second season at the pro level, put up 221 points (79 goals, 142 assists) and a plus-103 rating in 125 regular-season games over his final two OHL seasons with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Placing Frost with Lindblom and Konecny gives him a prime opportunity to produce offensively.

"They're both tremendous players, they both can create plays and they're both elite goal scorers," Frost said Sunday. "I'll try to put the puck on their stick as much as I can in good areas. Just try to feed off them, they've established themselves in this league. They're really good players and I'm excited for the opportunity. I'm going to do whatever I can to make plays for them and hopefully be in position for them to make plays for me."

2. Not replacing Mr. Selke

Nobody is going to ask Frost to be Couturier. They are different players in different stages of their careers. Couturier has become a put-it-all-on-my-plate player who is arguably the top 200-foot center in hockey. The 21-year-old Frost has worked on his overall game. Vigneault's system allows for creativity but, at the end of the day, it's predicated on 200 feet and possession.

"I understand the game a lot better from a 200-foot perspective," Frost said. "It was definitely a leap coming from junior but you understand you don't have as much time with the puck, you've got to make smarter plays, sometimes it's area plays, it's not always going to be getting around guys and making tape-to-tape passes.

"On the defensive side of the puck, you really have to work hard and make sure you're in a good position with your stick and body.

"Coots is one of the best players in the league, so pretty big shoes to fill. I'll do whatever I can to help the team win and try to fill some of his shoes."

As Frost has focused on consistency in all three zones, being himself is important, too. Play smart and value the puck but also play aggressively.

"Frosty, he's an exciting player," Kevin Hayes said Sunday. "He's a great kid, he works hard, he's fun to be around, he really wants to learn.

"His game is fun to watch. If he plays the right way defensively, he's going to provide some serious offense for this team. I think as a team, our coaches and our management, are relying on him to do that."

3. Goalies and Ghost

With the Flyers playing their first of eight back-to-back sets this season when they welcome the Sabres, they'll have Carter Hart start Monday and Brian Elliott on Tuesday.

Shayne Gostisbehere is not expected back Monday as he remains unavailable because of COVID protocol.  The 27-year-old defenseman has not practiced with the Flyers since Jan. 8.

The last time the Flyers started 3-0-0 was the 2011-12 season.