Game 3: Sabres at Flyers; 1/18/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Flyers may not have Coots, but that doesn't phase the the bookies.  We are heavy favorities:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2021-01-18/buffalo-sabres-at-philadelphia-flyers-1-18-21-nhl-picks-and-prediction

We are terrific at home, while Buffalo is a poor road team.  Two games aren't a big n, but Buffalo doesn't look new and improved as some have touted.  Hopefully, this isn't a trap game for the O & B.  Meanwhile, I wonder if Moose gets a start with one of these games?  Morgan Frost gets an opportunity to strut his stuff.  

LGF!

Howie

Edited by Howie58

Morgan Frost quote Sunday on his linemates Lindblom and Konecny:

"They're both elite goal scorers. I'll try to put the puck on their stick as much as I can."

Sunday's practice for Game 3 vs Buffalo Monday night:

Frost and Lindblom - - they are ready - 

7FDWy3fH?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hi Zzeke!

It speaks to our depth that we can put this kid in the lineup.  It should be good to watch. 

Hey H58. Yes, you are right, depth, depth, depth. Love this quote from Bill Clement:

They have deep scoring, and their third line” – Patrick centering James van Riemsdyk and Jake Voracek – “is going to get some matchups against the third D pairings on other teams, and they’re going to eat them.”

Jakub Voracek and Nolan Patrick of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrate after defeating the Winnipeg Jets 3-1 on January 28, 2019 at the Wells Fargo...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I know it's early, but what's everybody drinking?

Hey P25, we all are drinking this - - depth, depth, depth - - - as stated by Charlie O'Connor:

Excerpts:

When outsiders praise the Philadelphia Flyers for their depth, at times it can play like a criticism wrapped in a compliment.

Sure, the argument goes, the Flyers have lots of good players. They have third-line-caliber players on their fourth line, first-line producers on their third line, 60-point defensemen on their third pair. That’s why Philadelphia is a lock to be a strong team, those people acknowledge. 

But where are the great players? Where are the hyper-talented game-changers who can take over a contest or even a series? Depth is all well and good during a grinding regular season, but in a seven-game series against elite opposition, who do they have who can step up and outscore Nathan MacKinnon? Or maneuver around Victor Hedman? Or keep Boston’s Perfection Line off the scoreboard? Who do the Flyers have who can be trusted to break things open or completely shut them down in the toughest of times?

Well, watching a team’s best all-around player [Couturier] — and the go-to response from most fans when they hear the Flyers lack true greatness — go down after just two shifts certainly qualifies as “tough.” 

Yet Carter Hart and Travis Konecny seemed to have no trouble carrying the load like the stars they might be on the verge of becoming.

Travis Konecny and Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrate after defeating the Boston Bruins in a Round Robin game during the 2020 NHL...

• Like 1

Projected lineups (subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 86 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl- 21 Scott Laughton- 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 56 Erik Gustafsson

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

PP1: Provorov, Giroux, Hayes, Frost, TK
PP2: Farabee, JVR, Patrick, Voracek, Gustafsson

Scratches: 14 Sean Couturier (costochondral separation), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (COVID-19 protocol), 3 Mark Friedman (healthy).

SABRES (based on Sunday's practice)

4 Taylor Hall - 9 Jack Eichel - 37 Casey Mittelstadt
68 Victor Olofsson - 12 Eric Staal - 24 Dylan Cozens

13 Tobias Rieder - 20 Cody Eakin - 72 Tage Thompson
53 Jeff Skinner - 27 Curtis Lazar - 15 Riley Sheahan

19 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
26 Rasmus Dahlin - 62 Brandon Montour
33 Colin Miller - 10 Henri Jokiharju

35 Linus Ullmark
40 Carter Hutton

PP1: Reinhart (if available), Eichel, Hall, Olofsson, Dahlin
PP2: Skinner, Cozens, Staal, Thompson, Ristolainen

Scratches: 44 Matt Irwin (healthy), 23 San Reinhart (lower body, day-to-day) or 37 Casey Mittelstadt (taxi squad, skated on Eichel line at practice), 21 Kyle Okposo (upper body), 28 Zemgus Girgensons (IR, hamstring surgery).

Sink or swim time for frost,,.

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I know it's early, but what's everybody drinking?

A very good local bourbon for myself...High Cotton.

high-cotton.jpg

I don't work again till friday....so if i over indulge well i can sleep it off till then....

Go Flyers!!!!

• Like 3

My last in person game  was the Flyers Sabres on March 7 of last year.

The take away from that game was the Sabres have many guys with excellent sticks and plus skating. 

They clogged the neutral zone very well and managed to get sticks on nearly every outlet pass that was tried to stretch the ice. The Flyers were playing lazy man hockey and nearly got beat doing it.

I think the boys will need to carry the puck more and make puck support a priority. 

There are good forwards on this Sabres team so Hart will need to be sharp.  I don't think Buffalo is an easy out.

The Flyers will need to play disciplined hockey to win.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My last in person game  was the Flyers Sabres on March 7 of last year.

The take away from that game was the Sabres have many guys with excellent sticks and plus skating. 

They clogged the neutral zone very well and managed to get sticks on nearly every outlet pass that was tried to stretch the ice. The Flyers were playing lazy man hockey and nearly got beat doing it.

I think the boys will need to carry the puck more and make puck support a priority. 

There are good forwards on this Sabres team so Hart will need to be sharp.  I don't think Buffalo is an easy out.

The Flyers will need to play disciplined hockey to win.

I think they are only a good goalie away from being a very dangerous team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Hey P25, we all are drinking this - - depth, depth, depth - - - as stated by Charlie O'Connor:

Excerpts:

When outsiders praise the Philadelphia Flyers for their depth, at times it can play like a criticism wrapped in a compliment.

Sure, the argument goes, the Flyers have lots of good players. They have third-line-caliber players on their fourth line, first-line producers on their third line, 60-point defensemen on their third pair. That’s why Philadelphia is a lock to be a strong team, those people acknowledge. 

But where are the great players? Where are the hyper-talented game-changers who can take over a contest or even a series? Depth is all well and good during a grinding regular season, but in a seven-game series against elite opposition, who do they have who can step up and outscore Nathan MacKinnon? Or maneuver around Victor Hedman? Or keep Boston’s Perfection Line off the scoreboard? Who do the Flyers have who can be trusted to break things open or completely shut them down in the toughest of times?

Well, watching a team’s best all-around player [Couturier] — and the go-to response from most fans when they hear the Flyers lack true greatness — go down after just two shifts certainly qualifies as “tough.” 

Yet Carter Hart and Travis Konecny seemed to have no trouble carrying the load like the stars they might be on the verge of becoming.

Travis Konecny and Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers celebrate after defeating the Boston Bruins in a Round Robin game during the 2020 NHL...

@Podein25

Wooops, my friend, my bad. Dumb me. Your question - 

Podein25 said: I know it's early, but what's everybody drinking?

As the rookie here, I answered your question thinking you are implying that there is an abundance of optimism after only 2 games, ie: 'what's enerybody drinking? The kool-aid?'

My answer was depth, depth, depth, etc - - - - 

When, in actuality, you truely meant 'what are we drinking in our glass in our comfort while watching the game'! Dumb me. With all the responses, now I got it!   animated smileys disgust   

• Haha 4

I'm excited to see what this team does without Couts. Don't get me wrong, I love Couts. He's almost certainly the most complete player we have on the roster right now. 

What I like about not having him for a short amount of time is that it forces other players to pick up the pace. So we get to see what Hayes does in a top line role for instance, or if Patrick can take the step forward we're all desperately waiting to see from him. 

I'm curious about Frost also. Having him play with TK and Lindblom seems a fantastic idea to me. Both of those guys have solid finishing skills, which is probably the biggest knock on Frost himself (aside from the age and experience bit of course). That could stand to work well. 

But yeah, for me though, my eyes are on Patrick above pretty much any other Flyer this year. He needs to start showing something that proves he was good enough to be taken 2nd overall, rather than just another mid pick first rounder, which is basically all we've gotten from him so far. For the record, I do think he's capable of something more (or maybe that's just me choosing to be naive). Hopefully we get to see that from him now.

I will say that part of me would like to see Patrick with TK, but maybe we'll get that at a later date.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm excited to see what this team does without Couts. Don't get me wrong, I love Couts. He's almost certainly the most complete player we have on the roster right now. 

What I like about not having him for a short amount of time is that it forces other players to pick up the pace. So we get to see what Hayes does in a top line role for instance, or if Patrick can take the step forward we're all desperately waiting to see from him. 

I'm curious about Frost also. Having him play with TK and Lindblom seems a fantastic idea to me. Both of those guys have solid finishing skills, which is probably the biggest knock on Frost himself (aside from the age and experience bit of course). That could stand to work well. 

But yeah, for me though, my eyes are on Patrick above pretty much any other Flyer this year. He needs to start showing something that proves he was good enough to be taken 2nd overall, rather than just another mid pick first rounder, which is basically all we've gotten from him so far. For the record, I do think he's capable of something more (or maybe that's just me choosing to be naive). Hopefully we get to see that from him now.

I will say that part of me would like to see Patrick with TK, but maybe we'll get that at a later date.

Good post. Agree mostly. Here is support info as we see Patrick play. The things bolded are things we have seen early in these first 2 games. It will be awesome to see him get better and better as the season progresses.

Quotes:

"I’ve been in touch with Patty a lot," Sanheim said. "He lives a couple houses down from where I live, so I saw him a lot, working together and skating together. He’s been awesome, his skill set is next level. We knew that from when the day he got drafted. It’s awesome seeing him back out there skating and looking forward to playing with him again."

Patrick's presence is huge for the Flyers down the middle of the ice. Along with Sean Couturier and Kevin Hayes, Patrick gives the Flyers three tough-to-play-against centers with size and smarts.

"His skill level has always spoken for itself," Fletcher said. "He sees the ice so well, 200-foot player, doesn’t cheat away from the puck, he doesn’t cheat defensively and has a very good shot. I look at our top three centermen in Couturier, Hayes and Patrick, and all three of them are going to play important even strength minutes, all three of them are going to play power play minutes and all three of them are going to play PK minutes. 

We're very fortunate, and obviously we have Scotty Laughton and even Morgan Frost that can move up in the lineup and play big minutes, too. We like our depth through the middle of the ice and I'm excited to see what Nolan can do this year, as well as everybody else."

Nolan Patrick Profile

Patrick has excellent size and a strong and powerful skating stride. He gets good speed and acceleration, allowing him to create offensively off the rush and in the offensive zone. Patrick is powerful and can fight through checks and get to the net. He has good balance and is tough to knock off the puck. Patrick has decent agility and edge work, helping him to make quick cuts and take advantage of his strong puck handling skills.

A natural sniper, Nolan Patrick has a tremendous wrist shot and quick release. He also has quick, soft hands and can bury chances in close to the net. His game is incredibly mature for his age. He has high end hockey IQ and always seems to make the right play both with and without the puck.

Patrick has excellent vision and passing skills. He can put the puck through tight areas and make tape-to-tape passes for teammates. Patrick has the skill to make his linemates better. His long reach and quick hands make him a very good puck handler.

He can extend plays, waiting for his teammates to get open. Patrick also has the ability to slow the play down, or speed it up, giving defenders one more thing to think about.

He can play both the power and the finesse game. Nolan Patrick works well down low, using his big body to shield the puck and to make plays in the cycle game. He can get in quickly on the forecheck and forces opposing defencemen to make a quick play, or make a mistake. Patrick’s big frame is quite intimidating in battles, both along the boards and in front of the net.

And, we love this quote from Bill Meltzer:

They have deep scoring, and their third line” – Patrick centering James van Riemsdyk and Jake Voracek – “is going to get some matchups against the third D pairings on other teams, and they’re going to eat them.”

Tonight's game will be a lot of fun!

Nolan Patrick of the Philadelphia Flyers controls the puck against Brian Dumoulin of the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Wells Fargo Center on January 15,...

As we were expecting - as Frost is moved from the #13 forward to centering Lindblom and Konecny, then Bunnaman (C/LW/RW) is promoted from the Taxi Squad to the regular roster and the #13 forward spot. Space on the 23-player roster is made by placing Ghost on the COVID-related Non-Roster Status List.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

A very good local bourbon for myself...High Cotton.

high-cotton.jpg

I don't work again till friday....so if i over indulge well i can sleep it off till then....

Go Flyers!!!!

local huh?  Is your name Cotton and do you make it in your basement?  haha 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Excerpts:

Currently we do not have any real elite game changers like some of the other top teams, potentially guys like Konecny, Farabee , Frost and eventually Foerester  or Brink can be  maybe not elite level, but maybe a level below, only time will tell. That’s why we have to play old time Flyers hockey,where we are the hardest working team on the ice and we have to play a complete game. Having all that depth and rolling four good lines can help us grind out and win the many long playoff series it takes to win a Cup. 

I agree with the announcer that AV can't be happy with the first period.  Buffalo carried the play and our offense was throttled. Lazar's shot was terrific.  I hope we see a more energized team for Period 2.  

• Like 1