Game 3: Sabres at Flyers; 1/18/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

39 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I agree with the announcer that AV can't be happy with the first period.  Buffalo carried the play and our offense was throttled. Lazar's shot was terrific.  I hope we see a more energized team for Period 2.  

You could see this coming a mile away, back to back wins against your most hated rival the Pens....and then the inevitable psychological letdown against Buffalo.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

He only got 6 mins of ice time so far...

My sister dropped by and i forgot and i had it on in the bedroom.

After she left i walked in and saw it was 4 nothing it ruined my plans (i had DVRd it and was going to watch from the beginning) but since i saw it was 0-4 i just said f**k it and deleted it.

So my question Tony is was Frost bad??

Or irrelevant because the rest of the team was crappy as all get it??

Hart let em down??

53 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

On any given day.... 

This.

Especially when you don't bring it.

It happens they are all human...and i know it helps that i didn't see the car accident to say that.

However they is a chance for redemption and it start tomorrow night. No excuses.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My sister dropped by and i forgot and i had it on in the bedroom.

After she left i walked in and saw it was 4 nothing it ruined my plans (i had DVRd it and was going to watch from the beginning) but since i saw it was 0-4 i just said f**k it and deleted it.

So my question Tony is was Frost bad??

Or irrelevant because the rest of the team was crappy as all get it??

Hart let em down??

Frost was irrelevant along with the rest of the team.  They were flat.

Can't put all the blame on Hart but he certainly wasn't on his game tonight, either.

22 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Frost was irrelevant along with the rest of the team.  They were flat.

Can't put all the blame on Hart but he certainly wasn't on his game tonight, either.

Thanks for the update. Maybe they whip some ass tomorrow.

I'm just pissed they won't go 56-0-0 now damnit!!!!!!

• Haha 1

on the other forums, the consistent complaining that it's av like ok, how many coaches have been fired for this same roster, same problems? 3 and if av cant fix it, you dont think maybe it's the bigger elephant in the room that built this roster aka homer/hextall for the reason of the failures?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

he consistent complaining that it's av like ok, how many coaches have been fired for this same roster, same problems? 3 and if av cant fix it, you dont think maybe it's the bigger elephant in the room that built this roster aka homer/hextall for the reason of the failures?

I thought the team was playing legitimately great hockey from late December until the shut down last season. 

So I don't think it's time to fire and trade people, that game was terrible from start to finish.  I guess a legitimate question would be is that the team we have, or is the discombobulated, slow, stupid version we're seeing grow worse each outing this year the team we have?

One of the positive things about this group through out this disappointing period of hockey is they've been resilient. They usually bounce back from shitting the bed with a strong effort.

I also think, there will be an adjustment period to stabilize from not having our best player in the lineup, while also trying to figure out how to replace Niskanen's minutes on defense. So far Gustafsson hasn't looked very good in his own end. 

• Like 1

Agree with the rest.  Frost had a good first shift and then nothing.   But that was the whole team really.   Ivan played the best of the lot but that wasn't saying much.   Good thing is they get to fix it tonight.  3-1 in their first 4 games - I'll take it.  

Looking at 2018-2019, 98pts (82 games) got you in the playoffs. 

That's about 1.2pts per game.  

If they get 5 points out of every 4 games, that's a 1.3ppg average.

2-1-1 at minimum should do it.  

So by that math if they get a point from tonight, the first group of 4 games was a success.

If they lose again tonight.  The season is over, fire all things and trade everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not going to overreact to one game.  It is definitely not AVs fault.  I actually thought Hart played pretty well; he had zero help.

IMO this team should probably be about as good as last year, but has a couple of issues if they want to take the next step:

1.  Niskanen was a solid, if unspectacular, #2 and they have not replaced him.  They can hope Sanheim or Meyers takes that step but I haven't seen anything, especially defensively, to indicate either of those guys are more than high end 3-4 defensemen.  If one of these guys hasn't taken the next step by the deadline at the latest, the Flyers need to make a move for a proven #2.

2. Other than perhaps Hart, they have no elite gamebreakers.  That doesn't mean they can't win a Cup, as they might have excellent overall depth if Patrick, Lindblom, etc. pan out.  LA did this, though Quick > Hart and Doughty > Provorov.

3.  I love what Hextall did, but he made one major miscalculation: he thought he could rebuild without stripping the team down (i.e. trading Simmons, Giroux, and Voracek in their primes).  There was no scenario where those guys were still going to be elite players by the time the young guys (Provorov, Hart, Sanheim, etc.) were ready to contribute.

Edited by SCFlyguy
  • Good Post 4

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

If they lose again tonight.  The season is over, fire all things and trade everyone.

Will they pipe in booing? In all seriousness, there are people here who were about ready to think the Flyers would win the East. I was not one of them. They might even take a step back this season. There are still a lot of questions in personnel. The defense can't get the puck out of the zone, and the offense isn't generating nearly enough scoring chances. The only constant we SHOULD have, is Carter Hart. I haven't been overly impressed with Sanheim this year, and now we have lazy players like JVR getting second line minutes, that only play hard for half a shift. BTW, so much for the Frost experiment on the first line.

14 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

3.  I love what Hextall did, but he made one major miscalculation: he thought he could rebuild without stripping the team down (i.e. trading Simmons, Giroux, and Voracek in their primes).  There was no scenario where those guys were still going to be elite players by the time the young guys (Provorov, Hart, Sanheim, etc.) were ready to contribute.

this ^^^^ x 100

Many of us discussed this years ago ..... 

• Good Post 1

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

this ^^^^ x 100

Many of us discussed this years ago ..... 

they should have never signed giroux and voraeck and instead trade them and i hated those contracts the minute they were signed because i knew for that for the fact they werent going to get us over the hump.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So I don't think it's time to fire and trade people, that game was terrible from start to finish. 

Absolultely not over one bad game i can understand folks being upset.

But no need for knee jerk reaction.

Sometimes you need to be punched in the face to wake up and understand there is a lot of work till to do and sometimes you too play well because the other team also had a bad start that helped you too start 2-0-0.

Best thing you can do is look at the film acknowledge the mistakes idenify what you did wrong and what you should have done...and next time do the right thing stay together not panic and knwo that you can fix it.

Now go do it.

TONIGHT!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

they should have never signed giroux and voraeck and instead trade them and i hated those contracts the minute they were signed because i knew for that for the fact they werent going to get us over the hump.

Well hook me up with some lottery numbers from 2015 because I gotta feeling...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

See Carson Wentz. Overpaying and overhyping players, and thus injuring a franchise...no matter how much you try to add young talent to it, through a draft.

Just now, FD19372 said:

See Carson Wentz. Overpaying and overhyping players, and thus injuring a franchise...no matter how much you try to add young talent to it, through a draft.

*Also, paying them too early.