Game 3: Sabres at Flyers; 1/18/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

See Carson Wentz.

Yeah he is like Carter Hart.

A bunch of over paid players all around him who don't show up and a underperforming defense that falters when the team needs them most and everyone expects him to be the savior and he has for awhile carried the team but the moment he can't it's all his fault and time to trade him!!!

Yep spot on FD!!! Great post! 

:cheers:

• Haha 1

Just going to say the contract for Giroux was earned and he's mostly lived up to it.

He's been the best player on the team for 7 to 10 years. 

You pay that guy or watch him from afar. 

Maybe at the end the contract is not looking so great, but long-term, high-dollar contracts never do when they reach their nadir. 

Crosby being the exception. 

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

there are people here who were about ready to think the Flyers would win the East. I was not one of them

Definitely we could use some more rational assessments, particularly when it comes to young players on the team. We need to be comfortable with the idea that prospects are often overhyped, and having a more measured look at new guys coming in is highly likely to be closer to reality than some sort of saviour story. The best current example of this is Frost, but it's been true of so many others before him.

On the flip side, I do think we sometimes come down too hard on the vets. Giroux is the most obvious and best example of this. If we look at his total body of work in the NHL, and if we compare it to what the majority of guys like him achieve in their careers, Giroux has proven to be a massive success story. 

When his name was called and promptly forgotten, that wasn't because Bobby had a ton of things on his mind, it was because G was really not expected to be an elite superstar. All people involved in that likely figured they'd be getting a decent but undersized guy who hopefully will be a decent mid six guy for whatever number of years. Instead, we got one of the highest producing players in franchise history. 

Now, is he a top ten player in the league? Probably not, and certainly not at this point in his career. But the fun thing about top lists like that is they're almost entirely populated by players everyone knew would be great way before draft day. They're not populated by guys who were drafted in the 20s and whose names were forgotten at the announcement. Giroux was a phenominal pick, and we really should cut him some slack.

I mean, definitely still trade him cause his value will never be higher, but let's give him a bit of space as very likely the biggest surprise we've ever drafted. Also, let's maybe not expect that same journey out of Frost...

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Giroux was earned and he's mostly lived up to it.

Mostly but mostly been a disappointment when it comes to getting his team to the playoffs and opted out this past playoff run. I guess it depends on what you expect from your Captain.

Sure he had some decent stats in a few season but when it come to crunch time and they actually playoff time well he serverly under performed just check his stats....the biggest thing he wasn't alone i think Jake his good friend has been the bigger disappointement who hadn't won a playoff series since 2012 before this past run.

I'm pretty sure they are stuck with both till the last year's of their contracts.

• Like 1

I have not been around these parts for a bit and hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times!

I think I was expecting this type of game last night after the Pens games. Chalk it up to a letdown and come back tonight w/ a big game ans some work ethic. The Flyers were never in the game and they were thoroughly taken to task in every facet of the game. 

Losing Couts is going to make for a tough stretch. I hope Frost can add some scoring with his play-making and vision. Great first shift and then basically went missing after that... 

No reason to worry at this point. Sloppy game and move onto tonight.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Mostly but mostly been a disappointment when it comes to getting his team to the playoffs and opted out this past playoff run. I guess it depends on what you expect from your Captain.

Not many one line teams win anything. There would have been no playoffs were it not for him and Jake.

This team would have been completely unwatchable for the 10's.

The team around him sucked. It was not his fault. 

I'm getting tired of saying this. 

Even Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin won diddly/poo when they didn't have a decent 3rd line center.

When, prior to the last year have the Flyers had more than 2 good centremen?

right.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Will they pipe in booing? In all seriousness, there are people here who were about ready to think the Flyers would win the East. I was not one of them. They might even take a step back this season. There are still a lot of questions in personnel. The defense can't get the puck out of the zone, and the offense isn't generating nearly enough scoring chances. The only constant we SHOULD have, is Carter Hart. I haven't been overly impressed with Sanheim this year, and now we have lazy players like JVR getting second line minutes, that only play hard for half a shift. BTW, so much for the Frost experiment on the first line.

We aren't on the same page but similar.  Winning the East is a bit of a reach for this team currently but still plausable IMO.  Still relatively young with some anchors holding them down.   Jake/JVR are the heaviest as been fully documented here.   I honestly don't have a problem with Giroux as some others do.   

If they don't make the PO and win at least one round it would be underachieving in my mind. 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Not many one line teams win anything.

This wasn't a one line team. And you know this.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

There would have been no playoffs were it not for him and Jake.

Yeah not so sure....yes they couldn't have made the playoffs without Hart.

What would they have done without Jake one goal in the last 18 games of the season??

And sure Giroux showed up vs the bad teams Rangers (2 goals) and Buffalo (2 goals) in the last 14 games but was not a dominate player i remember one game vs the Lightning he finally showed up.

But hey nothing you can do now. There is something they can do now though and that is lead by example and play well and get the team to the playoffs...because well they are stuck with them now.

But overall AV is right on the money, your best players have to be your best players.

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This team would have been completely unwatchable for the 10's.

Maybe.

I mean you take their 16.4 mill and salary and give that to two other very good players maybe they are even better i guess it depnds on who those two players would be but with that type of moeny you should be able to sign two pretty solid players.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

This wasn't a one line team. And you know this

so you missed the part where i said "when prior to this last year" it's okay to be wrong.

find me 2 other players to build around and we can surmise who would have had better results.

It's unprovable.

We know what we had and didn't have.

We didn't have a good team around those guys and I know you know that.

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Will they pipe in booing?

I said this very thing last night to my sister when it was 4 - 0.  It would've been the crowd noise they would have been getting at that time, so why not!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

I have not been around these parts for a bit and hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times!

I think I was expecting this type of game last night after the Pens games. Chalk it up to a letdown and come back tonight w/ a big game ans some work ethic. The Flyers were never in the game and they were thoroughly taken to task in every facet of the game. 

Losing Couts is going to make for a tough stretch. I hope Frost can add some scoring with his play-making and vision. Great first shift and then basically went missing after that... 

No reason to worry at this point. Sloppy game and move onto tonight.

Good to see you back my friend ...... agree. they laid a goose egg last night.  Let's see how they come out tonight before I shake off the dust from my pitchfork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Good to hear from you @Podein25!

Just trying to get by during these crazy times. I am excited for this Flyers Team and super happy they are back!  Hope all is well on your end!!

Welcome back hope all is well through all this covid pandemic crap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Good to see you back my friend ...... agree. they laid a goose egg last night.  Let's see how they come out tonight before I shake off the dust from my pitchfork.

well, they scored one goal so, not a goose egg but def crapped the bed haha