Anyone else hate the schedule?

Buffalo Rick

No games outside of the division and not even in the same conference.    Absolute crap  I know that its Covid.  God willing the vaccines, Phizer and Moderna will be in pretty much most arms by March if we get lucky?  I do not like the percentage of those refusing it. Anyway, back to the schedule, we have to play Washington twice more next weekend.  So our opening 6 games are 4 vs Washington and 2 vs Philly!!!  How is that fair in any way?  We have to find a way to beat those young punk ass goalies Washington has. Then we get Rangers and Isles. The Islanders are no picnic at all.  In fact, I might just pick them to win this damn division. I am picking them to make the playoffs for sure.  So if Wash, Philly and Isles are going to get in, I have to pray my Sabres can be good enough to get in?  How does it work?  Is it the top 4?  I am not sure?  Or is it conference?  Its like the AHL where you cannot play a team in the West unless you make it to the Cup finals. And only one team is going to accomplish that.  THIS SCHEDULE SUCKS!!!!!!

Yeap, top-4 of each division make it to the postseason. Then it's 1 vs. 4 / 2 vs. 3 followed by the winner of each series to determine the division's winner. With 4 teams remaining it's still unsettled right now. They had to consider the US-CAN closed border and limit travelling as much as possible.

I'm liking a priori the baseball format with  2 or 3-game series vs. the same team and all games are 4-point ones, quite exciting because you always face direct opponents. My only concern is the tight schedule. If teams are stuck with Covid-related quarantines, there's very little room to postpone and arrange the schedule. Being first in this situation, the Stars have the advantage of a longer training period but will average one game every two days throughout the irregular season.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No games outside of the division and not even in the same conference.    Absolute crap  I know that its Covid.  God willing the vaccines, Phizer and Moderna will be in pretty much most arms by March if we get lucky?  I do not like the percentage of those refusing it. Anyway, back to the schedule, we have to play Washington twice more next weekend.  So our opening 6 games are 4 vs Washington and 2 vs Philly!!!  How is that fair in any way?  We have to find a way to beat those young punk ass goalies Washington has. Then we get Rangers and Isles. The Islanders are no picnic at all.  In fact, I might just pick them to win this damn division. I am picking them to make the playoffs for sure.  So if Wash, Philly and Isles are going to get in, I have to pray my Sabres can be good enough to get in?  How does it work?  Is it the top 4?  I am not sure?  Or is it conference?  Its like the AHL where you cannot play a team in the West unless you make it to the Cup finals. And only one team is going to accomplish that.  THIS SCHEDULE SUCKS!!!!!!

It definitely is a challenge, but would you rather have the alternative and have no hockey at all? It is unfortunate that the Division the Sabres are in is a stacked Division ....it is what it is. Like I said would you rather have no hockey at all?

• Like 1

I can understand if some people are finding being in a tough division "unfair" because their team has to play high level competition almost on regular basis, but, still, if a team isn't even good enough to be FOURTH best in any division, I don't care how good it's supposed to be, you simply don't belong in the post season.

Sure, there will be cases where the 5th best team in a good division will be better than the 3rd or 4th best team in a weak division, but the bottom line is, if a team wants to claim the right to get into the post season, let alone try to win the Cup, then I would think they should at LEAST be 4th best in their division, and even that is being generous.

Otherwise, the team in question really has no business being in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

It definitely is a challenge, but would you rather have the alternative and have no hockey at all? It is unfortunate that the Division the Sabres are in is a stacked Division ....it is what it is. Like I said would you rather have no hockey at all?

No of course not. I am going to be very interested in the Canadian division.   To me that one is the most interesting  So do you think it increases the chance of a Canadian team winning one again?  Even though, next year they likely go back to business as usual.  

40 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So do you think it increases the chance of a Canadian team winning one again?

Dunno ...very good question.  Montreal will get better and has the goaltending. Same can be said of Calgary.  Vancouver goes as far as Holtby takes them.  Toronto has F. Anderson and Winnipeg will always be right there.  Ottawa will struggle but will give teams fits.

Remember for this year one of the Final Four will come from Canada.  It is not unreasonable for a team from Canada to be in the SCF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

THIS SCHEDULE SUCKS!!!!!!

This is where it REALLY blows to have a 7-team division instead of 8 teams. It means less variety.

If you get sick of seeing team "X" for the 7th time, we're probably seeing team "Y" for the 9th time.  :( 

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Remember for this year one of the Final Four will come from Canada.  It is not unreasonable for a team from Canada to be in the SCF.

I'm sure Bettman fought that tooth and nail.  Probably had Justin Trudeau and Donald Trump on speed dial trying to get the border open again lol.