Game 4: Sabres at Flyers; 1/19/21 @ 7, CSP

Howie58

While we are mild favorites, this post suggests a Buffalo victory:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/buffalo-philadelphia-odds-january-19-2021-1366106

Hopefully, last night was a wakeup call.  Our D was letting Buffalo in the crease and giving high percentage shouts out like Halloween candy.  This was a reminder of our playoff performance against the Islanders.  Then it was Barzal and his line.  Last night it was Reinhart and his.  AV was right to say last night was an embarrassment. Mike Yeo better get the gang on track.

LGF!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hopefully, last night was a wakeup call. 

It has to be. Sad they need one 3 games into the season. But well here we are.

A win tonight and the world is right again....don't and well the panic continues...

I don't have a real great feeling about the defense right now.

I'm not sure juggling the same 6 players is going to yield different results. 

I think I leave Myers and Sanheim alone. I remind Myers that he is a goddamned specimen and needs to assert himself.

Does anyone think there's merit to just biting the bullet putting Gustaffson with Provorov? ****-it see what happens?

Can Ivan cover for him and maybe they're the second pair?

Or does anyone think there's merit to trying the top pair guy from LHV with Provorov and see if steady and smart with okay wheels stabilizes that pairing.

The bottom pair, boy I don't want to see Braun and Hagg, and Gus and Hagg has been not fun to watch either. 

Not sure where the depth and quality went but last night all 6 of those guys looked lost and slow.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I am not saying this guy is the missing link but man i certainly try and see what this kid can do to help stabilize the top pair.

Mark Friedman.

He is sitting right there. WTF not see what he can do and how he can help.

Worst case scenario it changes nothing or gets worse.

Best case scenario he stabilizes Ivan and gets back to being a shut down pair someone to help Ivan obtain the puck and help get it up the ice to the forwards in the transition game.

And he puts one of Gus, Braun or Hagg on the bench.

Provorov - Friedman

Sanheim - Myers

Hagg - Gus

Braun 

this may work....at least take a look at it. Or you sit Gus and play Braun on the bottom pair with Hagg.

• Like 1

Projected lineups (based on Monday's starters and original Tuesday plan)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 86 Joel Farabee
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 48 Morgan Frost - 11 Travis Konecny
12 Michael Raffl- 21 Scott Laughton- 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 56 Erik Gustafsson
37 Brian Elliott
[79 Carter Hart]

PP1: Provorov, Giroux, Hayes, Frost, TK
PP2: Farabee, JVR, Patrick, Voracek, Gustafsson

Scratches: 14 Sean Couturier (costochondral separation), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (COVID-19 protocol, INR), 3 Mark Friedman (healthy) , 82 Connor Bunnaman (healthy).

SABRES

4 Taylor Hall - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
68 Victor Olofsson - 12 Eric Staal - 24 Dylan Cozens
13 Tobias Rieder - 20 Cody Eakin - 72 Tage Thompson
53 Jeff Skinner - 27 Curtis Lazar - 15 Riley Sheahan

19 Jake McCabe - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
26 Rasmus Dahlin - 62 Brandon Montour
33 Colin Miller - 10 Henri Jokiharju

40 Carter Hutton
34 Jonas Johansson

PP1: Reinhart, Eichel, Hall, Olofsson, Dahlin
PP2: Skinner, Cozens, Staal, Thompson, Ristolainen

Scratches: 44 Matt Irwin (healthy), 21 Kyle Okposo (upper body), 28 Zemgus Girgensons (IR, hamstring surgery), 35 Linus Ullmark (personal).

Carter Hutton, who was not originally supposed to start on Monday but got the call after Linus Ullmark was excused to attend to a personal matter,

@OccamsRazor

about #3 (Friedman) I guess he's not showing out at practice.  

Like you I can't understand why he wouldn't be considered for playing time.

I think his game and temperament are complimentary to a number of other players, Hagg, Sanheim, Provorov, I think he'd be fine with any of them...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not sure juggling the same 6 players is going to yield different results. 

I think I leave Myers and Sanheim alone. I remind Myers that he is a goddamned specimen and needs to assert himself.

Does anyone think there's merit to just biting the bullet putting Gustaffson with Provorov? ****-it see what happens?

Can Ivan cover for him and maybe they're the second pair?

Or does anyone think there's merit to trying the top pair guy from LHV with Provorov and see if steady and smart with okay wheels stabilizes that pairing.

The bottom pair, boy I don't want to see Braun and Hagg, and Gus and Hagg has been not fun to watch either. 

Not sure where the depth and quality went but last night all 6 of those guys looked lost and slow.

I think that no matter what we hear from the coaching staff about how much they like our defense, at some point this season we will attempt to trade for a defensively sound dman unless someone comes outta nowhere and claims a spot on the top pairing. Braun is a 7th defenseman at best, Gustafson is good offensively but does not seem good defensively. Ghost is a question mark. They need to try Meyers, Friedman and Ghost with Provo and see if any of them work and then make a determination from there. No matter what you can’t have defensive liabilities like Braun and Gustafson on the first pair. We also can’t have both of them in the lineup at the same time. Maybe we need to start platooning Ghost, Gustafson, Friedman and Braun until someone steps in and is a clear cut winner. We didn’t have any exhibition games to really complete for spots on defense. I hope that Friedman replaces Braun completely and then we decide on Ghost or Gus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Ristolainin is exactly the kind of defenseman we need. I know Buffalo had him available for trade a while back, I wonder why, he is a dominating  force.

Because as much as Risto hits, as much as he can be involved in offensive plays, he is also a disaster in his own end, brain farts regularly with positioning all over the ice (see this guy pinch in and completely forget NO ONE is now covering the point), and will take ill advised penalties in scrums when his team needs it the least.

I can see a super deep defensive team having him on their second or bottom pair with a very responsible (and patient) partner at the blueline, but is this the kind of player you REALLY want on the Flyers?

• Like 1

Nice to get the shutout win but it was costly...

Looks like an elbow to me.

This one i can't tell...left knee???

Next man up right hand shot i guess it is time for Friedman and Bunnyman.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stock up on bourbon!!!

I only caught the last period post-work. It looked like they were engaged and didn't let Buffalo get all over them.  Moose had the juice.  A shutout will give them backbone.  I hope the MRI's don't reveal much damage to Myers and Frost.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Ristolainin is exactly the kind of defenseman we need. I know Buffalo had him available for trade a while back, I wonder why, he is a dominating  force.

Not going to argue with this, he was effective in the two games vs our boys. 

He's a douche too, I thought Montour was a pretty decent hard to play against player as well.

Going to say I thought this was a good win early in the season. 

The boys bounced back and were engaged from the jump, they were down 2 men for 30 minutes and still found a way and played in the Sabres end for a significant portion of the 3rd period. 

JvR was very good even though he didn't get on the score sheet. 

If he continues to play like he did on Tuesday I will be pleased. 

I hope 11 19 23 stays a "thing" they looked pretty good together.

I also liked the 28 48 25 before Frosty went out. That was working.

Good effort. I hope Myers and Frost's injuries are not too severe.

A 3-0 win is nice so we shouldn't complain. I thought we got outworked a fair bit, again, but it's still early in the season. It's nice to have won multiple games because of our goaltending...BOTH of them. And hey, I'll give props when they're deserved...JVR actually has been playing well.

I got this....REPORTED!!!

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure that was Carter Hart wearing Moose's equipment last night..... ;)

Flyers really need to figure out this "playing down" to the competition thing. They looked SO GOOD versus the Pens and "come out flat" VS Buffalo?!....maddening I tell ya. And we've only been talking about it for what? 5 years and 3 coaches?!

(Sorry....Don't mean to be a negative Karen, but COME ON! Loosing 6-1 against buffalo? That's not a fluke....it's becoming (or IS) a VERY concerning trend at this point.)

LETS GO FLYERS! enough of the Jekyll/Hyde BS! :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I'm pretty sure that was Carter Hart wearing Moose's equipment last night..... ;)

Flyers really need to figure out this "playing down" to the competition thing. They looked SO GOOD versus the Pens and "come out flat" VS Buffalo?!....maddening I tell ya. And we've only been talking about it for what? 5 years and 3 coaches?!

(Sorry....Don't mean to be a negative Karen, but COME ON! Loosing 6-1 against buffalo? That's not a fluke....it's becoming (or IS) a VERY concerning trend at this point.)

LETS GO FLYERS! enough of the Jekyll/Hyde BS! :)

To be honest, I didn't think they looked "so good" against the Pens. They certainly outscored them by a lot...but that was more goaltending on both sides than anything. I thought there was plenty of times when the Pens carried the play (and plenty when Philly did too) 

I think this team can be a lot better.

• Like 4

Krueger trying to get Provorov suspended for the collision with Hutton -- after being shoved into the goalie by Montour -- is the NHL equivalent of a lawsuit that gets laughed out of court. There was no time for Provorov to react, let alone decide to go headhunting w/ elbow.

Well if Meltzer is going to go there with the lawsuit comment...Sounds like it's just sour grapes from the 2nd biggest sore loser in the country right now.

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Because as much as Risto hits, as much as he can be involved in offensive plays, he is also a disaster in his own end, brain farts regularly with positioning all over the ice (see this guy pinch in and completely forget NO ONE is now covering the point), and will take ill advised penalties in scrums when his team needs it the least.

I can see a super deep defensive team having him on their second or bottom pair with a very responsible (and patient) partner at the blueline, but is this the kind of player you REALLY want on the Flyers?

Didn’t realize he had all those problems, I remember when he was drafted and he was considered a top prospect. I don’t see the Sabres that much , and from the two games I saw, he looked real good. I just assumed he reached his potential.