Game 4: Sabres at Flyers; 1/19/21 @ 7, CSP

Howie58

I want to give the boys a few more games before making any "big" assessments. That said, the D looks shaky.  As for carrying the play, our fourth line seems to be the most effective in puck possession.  We won't be getting 40 shot shutouts every game.  

Pitt and Boston may be the "Old Guard" in the conference. Teams like the Isles, Carolina, and even Buffalo may be our new benchmarks. We'll see.

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Not going to argue with this, he was effective in the two games vs our boys. 

He's a douche too, I thought Montour was a pretty decent hard to play against player as well.

IMO, Brandon Montour is SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive as a guy I'd want on my team's blueline over Ristolainen....unless of course, you have the players to cover Risto's gaffes.
Montour is a more responsible player on his own and still, like you said, a tough match up for most opposing players.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Didn’t realize he had all those problems, I remember when he was drafted and he was considered a top prospect. I don’t see the Sabres that much , and from the two games I saw, he looked real good. I just assumed he reached his potential. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Risto has NO value.....but more that he has his own bag of issues to go along with what he DOES do well.
And a team like the Flyers, with a budding young defensive core, and young guys up front learning to play like playoff contenders, I just don't think Risto's play, in the long run, is a help to a team like Philly.

On a grizzled veteran team perhaps looking to add just one more piece on the blueline, and who have guys who have been there done that, sure. Risto can do his thing there and he will have people to cover for when he goofs.

But, IMO, the Flyers just can't afford something like that with what looks like a team going in the right direction. Your team has players of their own they are trying to "get straight"....they don't need Risto's baggage added on, even if he does have games at times where he looks like a world beater.

Plus Risto's cap hit (5.4M for the next two years before becoming a UFA and at 28, he will likely want MORE) doesn't exactly justify his play.
I mean, that is almost Ivan Provorov money and Provorov already is a much better overall blue liner than Ristolainen is, and will only get better over the course of the same two years Risto has on his contract.

• Good Post 1

OK, but I still think that the Flyers need a couple of skilled /physical type of players in their lineup. One on defense and one up front. Sure we have good young defenseman, but other than Provorov , we don’t have any defensive standouts that play a physical style. .Meyers and Sanheim are good puck movers but not physical and Haag is physical but is lacking in the skill dept. Up front our most physical guy is Aube Kubel. We need a few guys that play with an edge. Even though we won , Buffalo really took the body to us and knocked out two of our guys with clean hard hits. Facing a team like that in the playoffs would be no easy task. The Isles knocked us all over the ice in the playoffs and I don’t think we did anything to offset that in the offseason. I still see us trading for a dman if possible.

45 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

IMO, Brandon Montour is SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive as a guy I'd want on my team's blueline over Ristolainen....unless of course, you have the players to cover Risto's gaffes.
Montour is a more responsible player on his own and still, like you said, a tough match up for most opposing players.

I will take him. How about Ghost for Montour.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

How about Ghost for Montour.

I had already suggested that somewhere the other day mojo and i conversed on it.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 brought his name up i think it is in the Laine trade thread i can't remember the other defenseman that was being discussed.

I said Ghost for Montour and a pick. Seems like the Sabres might could use him and his offense.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I had already suggested that somewhere the other day mojo and i conversed on it.

@BobbyClarkeFan16 brought his name up i think it is in the Laine trade thread i can't remember the other defenseman that was being discussed.

I said Ghost for Montour and a pick. Seems like the Sabres might could use him and his offense.

Yeah we need a very good defensively sound physical dman. The only bad thing is, you risk losing him in the expansion draft.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Yeah we need a very good defensively sound physical dman. The only bad thing is, you risk losing him in the expansion draft.

He is a UFA at seasons end and that is why i was insistent about getting a pick or two back for Ghost since he is signed for 2 more years after this one.

So it allows you to get something for Ghost instead of losing him to expansion for and nothing to show for it and then you can try Montour out.

If you like him maybe you sign him after the season or walk away if he doesn't work out.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is a UFA at seasons end and that is why i was insistent about getting a pick or two back for Ghost since he is signed for 2 more years after this one.

So it allows you to get something for Ghost instead of losing him to expansion for and nothing to show for it and then you can try Montour out.

If you like him maybe you sign him after the season or walk away if he doesn't work out.

I would make that trade since Ghost would likely get taken in the expansion draft. Then you can sign Montour right after the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

Frost injury was odd as there isn't anything obvious in the hit....wonder if it's internal laceration, hmmm

But after I watched it again myself he hops up with no issues it seems below the waist so it makes em think it is related to the elbow maybe or shoulder the way he skates off holding his left arm.

Frosty's arm was in a weird position when he was hitting the boards. I thought elbow or shoulder when I watched the replay.

We've been talking about the "depth", I reckon we'll see how deep the organization is. 

I don't think Derek Poulliot is the answer, and wonder if this precipitates a move for a right hand d man for the top 4.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Frosty's arm was in a weird position when he was hitting the boards. I thought elbow or shoulder when I watched the replay.

We've been talking about the "depth", I reckon we'll see how deep the organization is. 

I don't think Derek Poulliot is the answer, and wonder if this precipitates a move for a right hand d man for the top 4.

Someone needs to check the water in Philly man after this past season with the Eagles and now the start with the Flyers.

Did Jeffery Lurie sacrifice the futures of both the Eagles and the Flyers for his Super Bowl win?

We need to find that Witch doctor and get them to reverse that curse he placed on the water supply in Philly....

• Like 1