Minnesota Wild @ Anaheim Ducks, Wednesday 1-20-21, 8:30pm, Honda Center

MNSOTA

Wild Earn Series Split Against Ducks, Talbot Improves

Here are my reflections on the Wild series against the Ducks, as well as some thoughts on the Ian Cole / Greg Pateryn trade and prospect news too!  Great effort at the start and luckily the team was able to get a goal early in the 3rd.  Kahkonen is still a work in progress...enjoy and discuss.  

Oh and the 4th line was awesome...AGAIN!  

• Like 4

I also like more and more Sturm's hard play and, of course, Brodin's IQ. Kaprizov had a nice chance to score also. Despite Fiala was not able to score, but, I think he was very helpful too during this game. Nice , that Kahkonen was able to hold this win - the 1st team's win this season in regulation!

Edited by Alexandron

Kähkönen had a difficult night. Perhaps the long pause in playing and the first game in the season were factors. But he did get a win and looked like he can deal with the pressure of failing at times. I'm hopeful he will get a lot better later on this season.

Bonino, Bjugstad, Cole were good, IMO. Johansson had some difficulties, but overall it does not look so bad right now. But we still badly need a 1C.

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Earn Series Split Against Ducks, Talbot Improves

Here are my reflections on the Wild series against the Ducks, as well as some thoughts on the Ian Cole / Greg Pateryn trade and prospect news too!  Great effort at the start and luckily the team was able to get a goal early in the 3rd.  Kahkonen is still a work in progress...enjoy and discuss.  

Oh and the 4th line was awesome...AGAIN!  

You're way too critical of Kahkonen. It was his first competitive game in 13 months. Those weren't rookie's mistakes, it was plain and simple rust.

Before the end of the season he will play much better than Talbot.

But thanks to Talbot's contract, they are going to play him more. Dubnyk saga all over again. Some organizations, like Minnesota, just never learn.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Kaprizov and Greenway assisted to his goal. 

I don't follow the team much, but I noticed the brief interludes between Eriksson Ek and Kaprizov have seemed like instant chemistry. They flew together for a brief time last night. Is there a reason coaching won't give Ek a shot at a top 6 role?

Every time Carolina gave Victor Rask a forced shot at top 6, he was in over his head. And Bonino is a career 3rd line C

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I don't follow the team much, but I noticed the brief interludes between Eriksson Ek and Kaprizov have seemed like instant chemistry. They flew together for a brief time last night. Is there a reason coaching won't give Ek a shot at a top 6 role?

Every time Carolina gave Victor Rask a forced shot at top 6, he was in over his head. And Bonino is a career 3rd line C

That's a good question. It seems like there is a reason they don't use Ek in top line roles, but it is not clear why. It's been asked but never answered in a clear way, at least to my knowledge. The last answer we got, was "we don't want to break the chemistry of our best line (that being Ek's).

My guess is that they see Ek as a Mikko Koivu style defensive centre and don't want to use him more offensively. We have had enough of defensive forwards trying to be 1C or 2C, but on the other hand what choice do we have here, and is it really certain that Ek would not find some 2C capabilities from him? I think it would be worth a try.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, Hockey-78 said:

You're way too critical of Kahkonen. It was his first competitive game in 13 months. Those weren't rookie's mistakes, it was plain and simple rust.

Before the end of the season he will play much better than Talbot.

But thanks to Talbot's contract, they are going to play him more. Dubnyk saga all over again. Some organizations, like Minnesota, just never learn.

(shrugs)  Maybe.  But no one is going to get a lot of time to 'figure it out' clearly he was better last night in relief of Talbot.  Good for him.  

• Like 1