Game 5: Flyers at Bruins; 1/21/21 @ 7, CSN

Howie58

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Flyers defense as far as in their own zone play is the Achilles heel of this club.

Especially without their second best defenseman out for awhile with fractured ribs.

Looks like the best option on the farm to shore the defense up might be Zamula.

Zamula is gonna be good , but he is way underweight for his height. He needs to put on 20 lbs. His upper body strength makes Sanheim look like Charles Atlas.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

His upper body strength makes Sanheim look like Charles Atlas.

Really I hadn't notice that but how strong do you have to be to be in the right position and get a stick in the lanes?

Not very. 

You just have to be very cerebral and some of the Flyers issues is not know where to be or not thinking fast enough to know where the puck is going.

Overall they are weak and worse maybe not very smart from a game playing perspective and a lot of that can be on the coaches for not coaching them up.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really I hadn't notice that but how strong do you have to be to be in the right position and get a stick in the lanes?

Not very. 

You just have to be very cerebral and some of the Flyers issues is not know where to be or not thinking fast enough to know where the puck is going.

Overall they are weak and worse maybe not very smart from a game playing perspective and a lot of that can be on the coaches for not coaching them up.

No matter how cerebral you are or how good you can skate, there will be numerous times in a game when the defense is under tremendous pressure, especially on the PP. The problem is when your pinned in behind the net or battling on the boards or in front, you will be out muscled and stripped of the puck immediately. Look at Meyers, Coots and Frost all were taken out by clean hard hits. A pretzel stick like Zamula will not be able to withstand the onslaught. You need strength in your legs as well as your upper body. I hope they give Morin a shot. Dress 7 dman for a few games and let him work his way into the rotation . He probably isn’t ready for big minutes, but this way he can get up to speed and maybe he can help this team.

• Like 1

Sanheim hasn't played that good so far this season. But you can say that about a lot of guys on the team so far. I'm not big into all the accounting that goes into players looks these days, but Alex Appleyard is. And these numbers don't look like a "bum". And they only get better if you start counting in 18/19.

Alexander Appleyard

@avappleyard

·

2h.

@NHLFlyers

Travis Sanheim since his NHL debut (amongst 202 #NHL Dmen with 1500+ minutes): 0.29 5v5 G/60 (27th in NHL) 1.02 5v5 P/60 (28th in NHL) +3.58 CF Rel (28th in NHL +0.22 ExGF Rel (17th in NHL) He is arguably better than almost everyone thinks...

• Like 2

Deep Breaths ..come on .

5 games in and your getting to close to the edge .

they have a young d to start with ,not to mention missing Myers new people in, with no real time playing together.

take sometime to gel .

Slowly Back away from the edge put the bourbon down ....

no the whole bottle..

Edited by intheslot
added letters
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sanheim hasn't played that good so far this season. But you can say that about a lot of guys on the team so far. I'm not big into all the accounting that goes into players looks these days, but Alex Appleyard is. And these numbers don't look like a "bum". And they only get better if you start counting in 18/19.

Alexander Appleyard

@avappleyard

·

2h.

@NHLFlyers

Travis Sanheim since his NHL debut (amongst 202 #NHL Dmen with 1500+ minutes): 0.29 5v5 G/60 (27th in NHL) 1.02 5v5 P/60 (28th in NHL) +3.58 CF Rel (28th in NHL +0.22 ExGF Rel (17th in NHL) He is arguably better than almost everyone thinks...

Anybody see Sanheim blow by Zboril last night without even trying? Yeah, let's run that sh!t out of town.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Anybody see Sanheim blow by Zboril last night without even trying? Yeah, let's run that sh!t out of town.  

Even if Sanheim,  Provo , Meyers and  Ghost never turn into star players, we have never in our history had this many “home grown” skilled young defenseman on our team at one time. We also have a few more,  like Zamula, and York in the system. Up until a few years ago ,you could  count on one hand the number of skilled defenseman drafted by the Flyers in their entire history.  That would be ,Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson and Behn Wilson and Tomas Eriksson  , that’s pretty much it.  These guys were drafted in the 70s. We went like 30 years without drafting a quality defenseman. Almost every other dman we drafted was a bust or was traded quickly. Our best all time  dman were  all acquired in trades, Howe, McCrimmon, Desjardins, Timmonen and Pronger were all traded for as well as somany others. We have drafted some good defenseman, we just have to let them develop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Even if Sanheim,  Provo , Meyers and  Ghost never turn into star players, we have never in our history had this many “home grown” skilled young defenseman on our team at one time. We also have a few more,  like Zamula, and York in the system. Up until a few years ago ,you could  count on one hand the number of skilled defenseman drafted by the Flyers in their entire history.  That would be ,Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson and Behn Wilson and Tomas Eriksson  , that’s pretty much it.  These guys were drafted in the 70s. We went like 30 years without drafting a quality defenseman. Almost every other dman we drafted was a bust or was traded quickly. Our best all time  dman were  all acquired in trades, Howe, McCrimmon, Desjardins, Timmonen and Pronger were all traded for as well as somany others. We have drafted some good defenseman, we just have to let them develop.

@RonJeremy

Excellent post. Perceptive, thoughtful.

Also 'home grown' in the pipeline, and one or two of these guys will follow Zamula and York as quality NHL players:

Wyatte Wylie (RH)
Linus Hogberg 
Mason Millman 
Emil Andrae 
Ronald Attard (RH)
Adam Ginning
John St. Ivany (RH)

What It Will Take for Wyatt Wylie to Earn an ELC with the Flyers - PHILLY  SPORTS NETWORK

15 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Good post. However, I dont understand the switch. As stated, we have all these "homegrown" dmen, and for several years the discussion has been solidly about how good they "will" be, given time. Now the discussion is about how they might not be, and there is fan acceptance of possible trades

Well what friggin good is all this "development", if it isnt panning out? And what does this say about expectations of those "still developing"? If this highly touted farm system is chock full of potential impact players, when can we expect to see them?

This goes back to one of our favorite forum slogans, "2 years away from being 2 years away". Well if these up and coming players are turning out to be under achievers, then the guys doing the developing, or picking the talent to be developed,  need to find employment elsewhere 

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Good post. However, I dont understand the switch. As stated, we have all these "homegrown" dmen, and for several years the discussion has been solidly about how good they "will" be, given time. Now the discussion is about how they might not be, and there is fan acceptance of possible trades

Well what friggin good is all this "development", if it isnt panning out? And what does this say about expectations of those "still developing"? If this highly touted farm system is chock full of potential impact players, when can we expect to see them?

This goes back to one of our favorite forum slogans, "2 years away from being 2 years away". Well if these up and coming players are turning out to be under achievers, then the guys doing the developing, or picking the talent to be developed,  need to find employment elsewhere 

As far as defenseman go, they always take the longest to develop, so I certainly would give Meyers and Sanheim more time. Remember these guys are not top 5 draft picks , who were touted as superstars. Considering one was a free agent and the other was picked 15th or so , they are pretty much right on schedule. Provo was a highly touted defenseman and picked 7th and he is developing exactly how he was predicted to. We definitely need another veteran defenseman with superior defensive skills and we need to get Braun out of the lineup. That way the young guys are not put into a role they are not ready for. Losing Niskanen was a very big blow to this team.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 12:02 PM, OccamsRazor said:
On 1/21/2021 at 11:09 AM, intheslot said:

56 Erik Gustafsson - 61 Justin Braun

Dear gawd what a awful pair....Bruins have to be licking their lips waiting to swarm these two.

Hart i hope you're ready to be shelled....it will be critical for the forwards to help as much as they can to keep the pressure of the defensive end of the ice.

Gets pucks out and get them deep boys!!!

Let's go Flyers!!!!

Well i said before the series started it was a putrid pair...just trade Braun, Hagg and Gus and take what you can get for them....maybe a bucket of bent pucks...

On 1/22/2021 at 8:14 AM, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Leaking points?  Not sure I understand that statement.  They gave away a point last night but I wouldn’t say they are “leaking points”.  

I agree with the rest of your post.

How about now?

No?

Well you will...two games with the Isles are on deck.

It could be brutal. They have to ice these clowns.

Hey Chuckles you might want to warm Sam up for the blue line he is needed these guys you have now can't keep up much less play.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:22 AM, Digityman said:

I got to watch some of the game in fits and starts but what I saw I didn't like.   As predicted our defense (and overall team-defense) needs a lot of work.   Bruin's were missing their best player also....

Saturday is gonna be interesting.

Yes, I'm replying to myself.   As predicted but the elegantly quoted post....it was a **** show.  They are going to have to figure this out quickly with the shortened season.   Either they need to make a trade for a #2 defender to be the Ivan or make a change to a more team defensive strategy. 

2 choices.  AV and Chuck need to discuss.