Game 5: Flyers at Bruins; 1/21/21 @ 7, CSN

Howie58

Get well Coots...

Nolan Patrick won 10 of 12 faceoffs tonight.

The rest of the Flyers collectively won just 13 of 50.

Laughton went 1-for-10,
Giroux 5-for-15,
Hayes 5-for-16.

Bergeron and Krejci were a combined 26-for-41.
Edited by OccamsRazor
The Bourbon ain't working...

The Flyers defense as far as in their own zone play is the Achilles heel of this club.

Especially without their second best defenseman out for awhile with fractured ribs.

Looks like the best option on the farm to shore the defense up might be Zamula.

However he isn't  a right hand shot.

The only righties they have is Braun the sloth and the kid Friedman who I expect to play this upcoming game reports say they kept him out as just a precaution.

They need help. And they need it quick they can not afford to slide backwards and relinquish there spot in the standings.

They are leaking points at this point.

What will Chuckles do?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Flyers defense as far as in their own zone play is the Achilles heel of this club.

Especially without their second best defenseman out for awhile with fractured ribs.

The only righties they have is Braun the sloth and the kid Friedman who I expect to play this upcoming game reports say they kept him out as just a precaution.

They need help. And they need it quick they can not afford to slide backwards and relinquish there spot in the standings.

What will Chuckles do?

Leaking points?  Not sure I understand that statement.  They gave away a point last night but I wouldn’t say they are “leaking points”.  

I agree with the rest of your post.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What will Chuckles do?

Let’s not forget the shootout  .Have you ever seen such lame and pathetic attempts in your life? What the hell was Voracek thinking? Giroux’s attempt was a joke as well.

The defense hasn't been great, it's also bleeding players. There are some obvious issues, Gustafsson often whiffing on pucks while under not heavy pressure, but also when the pairs are jumbled during periods and dudes are skating a man down for long stretches of games, it's hard to say, yep that's the thing that needs fixin'. It all looks like a monkey ****** a football.

I would like to see the Flyers bench have the same number of dudes on it at the end of the game as they do the beginning.

Playing a man down for long stretches during 3 of the last 4 games caught up with them in the 3rd period. At least that's how it looked to me. 

It's easy to say they look disorganized because they haven't played with the same dudes since game 2 vs Pgh.

Injuries are part of the game. It's not a great excuse but at the same time its understandable that losing 2 of your top 5 centermen and 3 of your top 7 D would have an impact on the quality of play.

The runway is short, I think getting a point out of last's night's game is the best "worst" outcome. That point may come in handy. They're all important losing a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period can often lead to zero points. 

These boys need a little luck and or voodoo sacrifice to keep the injuries away. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Leaking points?  Not sure I understand that statement.  They gave away a point last night but I wouldn’t say they are “leaking points”.  

I agree with the rest of your post.

Sure it's one point but we've seen this before they were up 2-0 and lose a point.

I was impressed by Jake and his play last night he and JVR stepped up.

How about the rest of the cast?

Thank God for Hart.

But this team just can't finish.

Why is TK on the shootout has he ever scored there before I like the guy but the shootout is his kryptonite.

Points will start to slip through their hands especially with no Coots, Myers and Frost.

This team just doesn't have a goal scorer on it.

And until they prove otherwise they are the same squad.

32 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Let’s not forget the shootout  .Have you ever seen such lame and pathetic attempts in your life? What the hell was Voracek thinking? Giroux’s attempt was a joke as well.

I know has TK ever scored a shootout goal I can't remember one.

They lack a true goal scorer.

NONE.

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The defense hasn't been great, it's also bleeding players. There are some obvious issues, Gustafsson often whiffing on pucks while under not heavy pressure, but also when the pairs are jumbled during periods and dudes are skating a man down for long stretches of games, it's hard to say, yep that's the thing that needs fixin'. It all looks like a monkey ****** a football.

I would like to see the Flyers bench have the same number of dudes on it at the end of the game as they do the beginning.

Playing a man down for long stretches during 3 of the last 4 games caught up with them in the 3rd period. At least that's how it looked to me. 

It's easy to say they look disorganized because they haven't played with the same dudes since game 2 vs Pgh.

Injuries are part of the game. It's not a great excuse but at the same time its understandable that losing 2 of your top 5 centermen and 3 of your top 7 D would have an impact on the quality of play.

The runway is short, I think getting a point out of last's night's game is the best "worst" outcome. That point may come in handy. They're all important losing a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period can often lead to zero points. 

These boys need a little luck and or voodoo sacrifice to keep the injuries away. 

Makes me so glad I cancel my season subscription to NHLtv.

I will spend the 90 bucks on something more worthy.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure it's one point but we've seen this before they were up 2-0 and lose a point.

I was impressed by Jake and his play last night he and JVR stepped up.

How about the rest of the cast?

Thank God for Hart.

But this team just can't finish.

Why is TK on the shootout has he ever scored there before I like the guy but the shootout is his kryptonite.

Points will start to slip through their hands especially with no Coots, Myers and Frost.

This team just doesn't have a goal scorer on it.

And until they prove otherwise they are the same squad.

hate to say it but you have to put on this on the management hextall/homer, all the players they drafted and traded have no skill, everything was about grit and grind for goals, it just doesnt work anymore, now fletch has to clean hextall's mess by drafting more skill players. i guess whenever we get cap space back and hopefully he adds more skill players, i dont see this team competing for another 2 to 3 years because of what hextall/homer did.

that's why tampa won the cup, steve adding skill players not grit and grind players.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Makes me so glad I cancel my season subscription to NHLtv.

I will spend the 90 bucks on something more worthy.

My hope is they get Couturier and Myers back before the season has slipped away.

We can't even trade our best prospect to fix a hole because he's broke, it went from "embarrassment of riches" to "hey you-with newspapers, can you skate?" pretty quickly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My hope is they get Couturier and Myers back before the season has slipped away.

I hope so because there are no "easy games" on this schedule and no rest for the weary.

Every point is crucial.

And my biggest concerns is they really got out played for huge stretches of the Penguin series but luckily the Pens goaltending let them down.

I have big concerns about the team ability to generate offense.

And when JVR and Jake are standing out as the best forwards it really is alarming.

Even NAK has been very unimpressive I know @CoachX will love that comment but it is true he has no looked good and he isn't alone.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

hate to say it but you have to put on this on the management hextall/homer

Well resigning Braun was a knee jerk reaction to Niskanen retiring by Chuckles I wish he would have explored other options.

Braun has looked exactly how I expected to look old, slow and lost.

Poor Ivan is all alone it seems now.

Gus is a nightmare in his own end.

Sanheim as well as he plays on offense his defense is down right terrible and he may have gotten stronger in the offseason but it doesn't show he still soft as a baby turd.

And Hagg is well still Hagg.

Isles and Caps are right on the Flyer's heels...and they will get the Isles after the game vs Bruins.

Guess they know how they measure up then...I imagine they will soundly beat this Flyer team.

Chuckles will be scrambling soon after to stop the bleeding. I'm happy to be wrong but this team is missing a clutch goal scorer.

Makes me consider the thought of Laine now and that really has brought me a long way.

But that players isn't in the AHL or even the prospect ranks really so what choice do they have to fix this?

I think a trade is inevitable...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well resigning Braun was a knee jerk reaction to Niskanen retiring by Chuckles I wish he would have explored other options.

Braun has looked exactly how I expected to look old, slow and lost.

Poor Ivan is all alone it seems now.

Gus is a nightmare in his own end.

Sanheim as well as he plays on offense his defense is down right terrible and he may have gotten stronger in the offseason but it doesn't show he still soft as a baby turd.

And Hagg is well still Hagg.

yes fletcher's moves werent good, but im talking about the forwards that were drafted by hextall accept hayes/fletch addition they all lack skill.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

. I'm happy to be wrong but this team is missing a clutch goal scorer.

Makes me consider the thought of Laine now and that really has brought me a long way.

But that players isn't in the AHL or even the prospect ranks really so what choice do they have to fix this?

I think a trade is inevitable

This is how ive been feeling since the end of last season. Who is that guy that other teams have to game plan against?

The current success will mask the shortcomings that are lying under the surface. Again, just like the playoffs. The team looked great until it was exposed by a faster,  more physical opponent in series

We keep hearing about the depth they have. Where is it?

• Like 2

I got to watch some of the game in fits and starts but what I saw I didn't like.   As predicted our defense (and overall team-defense) needs a lot of work.   Bruin's were missing their best player also....

Saturday is gonna be interesting.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

yes fletcher's moves werent good, but im talking about the forwards that were drafted by hextall accept hayes/fletch addition they all lack skill.

All you can do now is replace them and move them out for better options.

10 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Bruin's were missing their best player also....

And no Chara and no Krug.

At some point it has to be on the players.

AV nailed it. Our best players need to be our best players and they aren't.

The Bruins wanted the puck more and it shows.

Fluers got owned at the faceoff dot and turned the puck over.

They are the equivalent of a NFL WR trying to worry about running before he has actually caught the ball.

Mind bogglimg.

For years the cry concerned the lack of a good goalie, but now we have one.  Now we are still crying for a true goal scorer but keep drafting these small fragile players.  They seem like plastic toys made in China.  Least little bump and they break.  Were is the speed and skill we are supposed to have?

I swear all Philly teams are cursed by the injury god and the injuries keep coming.  Are we not conditioned properly or do we draft players who no nothing about nutrition and building up their bodies to withstand the riggers of the sport?  Something is drastically wrong and needs to be investigated before drafting these cream puffs.

Chuck Fletcher, if your goal was to build a roster of the nicest, kindest, most gentle fall down the most players, congratulations, you have done it. The injuries will continue to pile up as long as this group acts like a pin cushion. If you only react to physical play and never get up on your toes and initiate you will continue to get hurt.  

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

We keep hearing about the depth they have. Where is it?

Honestly I think they have alright depth. I think what they're lacking is true top talent that can give opponents fits. 

I mean, I'll give Couts a pass, he's pretty stellar. Provo also is definitely a top D. That's all fine and well, but the truth is our truly elite scorers are all players who probably should be supporting players to at least 1-2 elite talents, and we don't have that. 

It's also very noticeable how shotty our defense is outside of Provo... Some of that may be youth for folks like Sanheim, but having Braun and Hagg doesn't help anything, and I'm not feeling Gustaffsson so far.

But anyway, as others have mentioned, we need 1-2 guys opposing teams are forced to make specific plans to handle, and we just don't have anyone like that. We have above average players, good supporting players, but we seem to lack true top talent. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I know has TK ever scored a shootout goal I can't remember one.

They lack a true goal scorer.

NONE.

Love the stick handling skills of Voracek, Jake and TK in the shootout. We still suck in the shootout after all these years.

• Like 1