PLD SITUATION AT BREAKING POINT

yave1964

Untenable is the word that sums this up.

Last night the CBJ lost 3-2 in overtime on a goal by Brayden Point to fall to 1-2-2 which is not the story. The story is 22 year old Pierre Luc Dubois who wants out in the worst way being nailed to the bench a little more than halfway through the first period never to see the ice again. He refused to speak to the media after the game, Torts refused to speak of the situation.

I rewatched the first period last night, Dubois was 2 for 2 in the dot (he is a poor faceoff man so that was especially good for him) he was waved out of the dot twice as well. He was credited with a block on a shot by Blake Coleman. He drew five shifts averaging roughly 40 seconds per. I saw no sign of him dogging it, not sure what happened. The only thing I noticed was Dubois on his last shift as the puck was fired into the tampa zone and controlled by the Bolts didnt complete a line change with Atkinson and Grigorenko but chased the puck carrier into the Tampa zone which happens a lot, often a forward will make the defense backpedal while his mates clear the ice and then he peels off to complete the change and that looked like this was what happened.

He never saw the ice again.

This cannot go on. Move him now for the sake of the team. Not even saying he is wrong but if Torts isnt getting fired then Dubois simply has to go. The two clearly hate each other which is a damn shame as Dubois is a big strong kid with a 200 foot game who looks like he would be the perfect Tortorella player.

• Good Post 1

okay I was wrong, I didnt go far enough while rewatching the first period, THIS was his last shift.

Yeah, Torts had two choices after this, either bench him or kill him. Man was he disengaged on this shift. This is a player clearly no longer part of the team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

okay I was wrong, I didnt go far enough while rewatching the first period, THIS was his last shift.

Yeah, Torts had two choices after this, either bench him or kill him. Man was he disengaged on this shift. This is a player clearly no longer part of the team.

I've seen skating bears show more interest in playing hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have liked Dubois's game, still do, but looking at that "I quit trying" clip makes me think if Dubois is a quitter. Will he quit trying in the future, when facing adversity on a Stanley Cup chasing team? We don't know what has happened between him and Torts, but still. The clip is horrible. How can one coast like that? He betrays his team and his fans. Is Tortorella torturing him between periods?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Pretty sad. That is how you get hurt.

Going to hurt some trade value when you see that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Wow.... I’m at a loss for words. That was a pathetic shift for a professional.....

• Like 1

That situation is already ugly and can only get worse.

The player, no matter whether he likes his coach or not, is still obligated to play to the best of his abilities. In the long run, he really is hurting himself by just going through the motions as shown. 
Just brings up too many other questions regarding his character....fair or not.

The coach, well, the coach can play guys as he sees fit, but Torts is clearly making an example in front of all watching the game (it was a national game too!), and THAT isn't a good recipe for success or even 'rehabilitation' of any player, if the that is what the coach is going for.

Then you have player locker room leadership (I.E. guys like the captain Nick Foligno who should be the liason between troubled player and iron fisted coach).
Players need to get on Dubois a bit for lack of hustle, maybe player leadership needs to talk with the coach about not giving Dubois a pass, but rather, keep all whippings behind closed doors.

All this adds up to a situation that is just a few degrees below boiling over.

Ownership and/or the GM has to take a good hard look at this and make an executive decision...and make one fast.
Both for the sake of the team and for any value they hope to get back in what will likely be an eventual trade.

• Like 2

Well... I wrote my previous post before watching that embarrassment shift and all the drama around that. For the good of everybody it's packing time for Dubois as soon as possible. Jets and Rangers are the most suitable landing spots.

Look, everyone assumes that the issue is with Tortorella, but what if the issue is actually with Jarmo Kekalainen? I mean, everyone in hockey knows what Torts is like as a head coach, but at the end of the day, he's fair and he's going to play you if you buy in. However, there where also whispers that negotiations between Columbus and PLD weren't going well and that maybe, just maybe, Jarmo might have said or done something that offended PLD. We don't know. Yeah, PLD dogged it, no doubt. At the same time, the franchise had to know that this was going to happen sooner or later. You don't have a malcontent in there and then expect them to be content while awaiting a move. This partially falls on Kekalainen for knowing the player didn't want to be there and he just kind of mulled it over and did nothing. I'm certain that PLD could have been moved at the draft and the return would have been outstanding. This always happens when a franchise keeps a disgruntled player. It just makes for an ugly situation and nobody wins. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Look, everyone assumes that the issue is with Tortorella, but what if the issue is actually with Jarmo Kekalainen? I mean, everyone in hockey knows what Torts is like as a head coach, but at the end of the day, he's fair and he's going to play you if you buy in. However, there where also whispers that negotiations between Columbus and PLD weren't going well and that maybe, just maybe, Jarmo might have said or done something that offended PLD. We don't know. Yeah, PLD dogged it, no doubt. At the same time, the franchise had to know that this was going to happen sooner or later. You don't have a malcontent in there and then expect them to be content while awaiting a move. This partially falls on Kekalainen for knowing the player didn't want to be there and he just kind of mulled it over and did nothing. I'm certain that PLD could have been moved at the draft and the return would have been outstanding. This always happens when a franchise keeps a disgruntled player. It just makes for an ugly situation and nobody wins. 

That's one way to handle this kind of situation, but on the other hand it's perfectly possible to choose the Yzerman/Drouin Holland/Puljujärvi way.