Game 6: Flyers at Bruins; 1/23/21 @ 7, CSN

Howie58

We are the underdog, yet this bookie likes us as anyhow:

https://sportschatplace.com/nhl-picks/2021/01/23/boston-bruins-vs-philadelphia-flyers-nhl-picks-odds-predictions

The Ghost is nearly through the COVID protocol.  Meanwhile, we are giving up huge shot totals, which is a reversal from last year.  The D is a work in progress:

https://sports.yahoo.com/shayne-gostisbehere-nears-return-flyers-182652565.html

This should be interesting.  Hopefully, the team doesn't allow so many high percentage shots and returns to its usual competence at faceoffs.

LGF

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 1

SAMUEL MORIN

D, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Samuel Morin has been loaned to Philadelphia's taxi squad. 
Morin was a healthy scratch on Thursday against Boston. He hasn't played yet this season. 

SOURCE: Philadelphia Flyers on Twitter
Jan 22, 2021, 4:02 PM ET

This must mean someone is back to the 23-player roster. Perhaps Ghost.

Also, defenceman Friedman is okay and will play in Game 6 Saturday night.

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

SAMUEL MORIN

D, PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Samuel Morin has been loaned to Philadelphia's taxi squad. 
Morin was a healthy scratch on Thursday against Boston. He hasn't played yet this season. 

SOURCE: Philadelphia Flyers on Twitter
Jan 22, 2021, 4:02 PM ET

This must mean someone is back to the 23-player roster. Perhaps Ghost.

Also, defenceman Friedman is okay and will play in Game 6 Saturday night.

They need to get the pairings settled in a few weeks.  The season is too short for shuffling.  

Marchand | Ovechkin war coming - 

ALEX OVECHKIN
LW, WASHINGTON CAPITALS

Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand called out Alex Ovechkin for breaching the COVID-19 rules.

There is no love lost between the two and Marchand put in his two cents worth Friday. “I think the big thing is, it’s more of a respect thing,” Marchand said. “We all want to be able to play, and there’s rules put in place for a reason. They’re not that hard to follow. We all know the consequences of breaking the rules, and we know what the rules are. So they brought that on themselves. We’ve all been told very heavily what we’re allowed to do and what we’re not allowed to do, so it is what it is on their side of things.” 

We can't wait for Saturday January 29 when the two teams meet again as it is the first possible time for Ovechkin and his three teammates to be eligible to return.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Washington
Jan 23, 2021, 8:31 AM ET

But first, Marchand will be dispensed by our Flyers tonight in Game 6 as Friedman is back:

Boston Bruins' Brad Marchand, left, collides with the Flyers' Mark Friedman during the first period. The Boston Bruins host the Philadelphia Flyers...

29 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Marchand - - famous for his stick-work - - will he get his 'due' tonight?

Philadelphia Flyers Vs Boston Bruins At TD Garden

Will get his due tonight?

HAHAHA from who?

Ain't no one on this team full of p$$ies going to do jacksh it.

The only who has a chance of whipping that rat bastard's ass is Sam Morin and he won't dress he'll be making popcorn.

:PopcornSmiley2:

I hope to be wrong. This team has no backbone just a bunch of yippee chihuahuas like Konecny ankle biters...

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Will get his due tonight?

HAHAHA from who?

Ain't no one on this team full of p$$ies going to do jacksh it.

The only who has a chance of whipping that rat bastard's ass is Sam Morin and he won't dress he'll be making popcorn.

:PopcornSmiley2:

I hope to be wrong. This team has no backbone just a bunch of yippee chihuahuas like Konecny ankle biters...

Sad, but true. I'm with you. Old-school to some degree.

The only guy that could seek Marchand to give him a whipping is Laughton.

And, maybe Voracek if Marchand dirty sticks him.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau of the New York Islanders and Scott Laughton of the Philadelphia Flyers fight during the third period in Game Seven of the...

Projected lineups (Subject to chahge)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 86 Joel Farabee
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
56 Erik Gustafsson - 61 Justin Braun
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Mark Friedman

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

PP1: Provorov, Giroux, Hayes, Lindblom, TK
PP2: Farabee, JVR, Patrick, Voracek, Gustafsson

Scratches: 55 Samuel Morin (healthy), 14 Sean Couturier (costochondral separation), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (COVID-19 protocol, INR), 5 Phil Myers (rib fracture, week-to-week), 48 Morgan Frost (IR, dislocated shoulder).

BRUINS

63 Brad Marchand - 37 Patrice Bergeron - 74 Jake DeBrusk
21 Nick Ritchie - 46 David Krejci - 23 Jack Studnicka
10 Anders Bjork - 13 Charlie Coyle - 12 Craig Smith

11 Trent Frederic - 52 Sean Kuraly - 14 Chris Wagner

79 Jeremy Lauzon - 73 Charlie McAvoy
48 Matt Grzelcyk - 25 Brandon Carlo
67 Jakub Zboril - 86 Kevan Miller

41 Jaroslav Halak
[40 Tuukka Rask]

PP1: Ritchie, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Grzelcyk
PP2: DeBrusk, Coyle, Smith, Zboril, McAvoy

Scratches: 26 Par Lindholm (healthy), 27 John Moore (healthy), 28 Ondrej Kase (IR, upper body),
75 Connor Clifton (healthy), 88 David Pastrnak (IR, hip surgery).

15 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Projected lineups (Subject to chahge)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 13 Kevin Hayes - 86 Joel Farabee
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
56 Erik Gustafsson - 61 Justin Braun
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Mark Friedman

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

PP1: Provorov, Giroux, Hayes, Lindblom, TK
PP2: Farabee, JVR, Patrick, Voracek, Gustafsson

Scratches: 55 Samuel Morin (healthy), 14 Sean Couturier (costochondral separation), 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (COVID-19 protocol, INR), 5 Phil Myers (rib fracture, week-to-week), 48 Morgan Frost (IR, dislocated shoulder).

BRUINS

63 Brad Marchand - 37 Patrice Bergeron - 74 Jake DeBrusk
21 Nick Ritchie - 46 David Krejci - 23 Jack Studnicka
10 Anders Bjork - 13 Charlie Coyle - 12 Craig Smith

11 Trent Frederic - 52 Sean Kuraly - 14 Chris Wagner

79 Jeremy Lauzon - 73 Charlie McAvoy
48 Matt Grzelcyk - 25 Brandon Carlo
67 Jakub Zboril - 86 Kevan Miller

41 Jaroslav Halak
[40 Tuukka Rask]

PP1: Ritchie, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Grzelcyk
PP2: DeBrusk, Coyle, Smith, Zboril, McAvoy

Scratches: 26 Par Lindholm (healthy), 27 John Moore (healthy), 28 Ondrej Kase (IR, upper body),
75 Connor Clifton (healthy), 88 David Pastrnak (IR, hip surgery).

Hmm. Since Morin was sent back to the Flyers Taxi Squad yesterday, prompting the speculation that maybe Ghost will taking the vacancy on the 23-player roster, but it is not reflected here. Usually Meltzer is very excellent at being on-top of things. Wonder what is happening?

Ah, quick check on the Flyers twitter:

Now the thoughts of Marchand's dirty stick-work prompts the thought of Morin somehow in the game tonight (consistent with posts in this thread regarding Flyers team toughness.)

From Jordan Hall this afternoon following the media session with AV:

Excerpts:

General manager Chuck Fletcher wanted the Flyers to be tougher to play against in 2019-20 and they were.

Despite earning at least a point in four of their first five games this season, the Flyers have not looked like the same team that found its identity and surged down the 2019-20 regular-season stretch. There could be various reasons for that.

Regardless of those reasons, the Flyers know surrendering the second-most shots per game (37.4) in the league is not going to cut it.

"D-zone coverage right now," Vigneault said Saturday morning, "we're not winning enough 1-on-1 battles and not having that close support right there so that it would enable us to get that puck back and go on the attack.

"The other area that I feel we need to be stronger at is our forecheck. Our forechecking game, which enabled us to create turnovers, create scoring chances, hasn't been as effective in the offensive zone and in the neutral zone. It's something just minor little stick positioning that I think if we get better at, we'll be way more effective and that's going to help our team."

Laughton, one of the club's better forecheckers, agreed with Vigneault.

"I think we have to make it harder on teams, we're backchecking too much and putting too much pressure on our goalies and Ds to make plays," he said. "Almost waiting for it to go the other way and create offense that way."

Things will turn-around in tonight's Game 6 !!

Edited by Zzeke

I am still waiting for the Flyers to draft or sign a player that has a selfish, shoot first mentality. I want someone in O&B that will lead the league in shots on goal. I’m sick of everyone trying to be a playmaker. 

Going to be a long season getting outshot 3-1 every game. 

#justkeeppassing

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I am still waiting for the Flyers to draft or sign a player that has a selfish, shoot first mentality. I want someone in O&B that will lead the league in shots on goal. I’m sick of everyone trying to be a playmaker. 

Going to be a long season getting outshot 3-1 every game. 

#justkeeppassing

Sami damn bro long time no see....nothing has changed Flyers is suk!!!!!

Catch ya later!!!

Boy, this is a tough watch.  I don't think this simply the absence of Coots.  Our offense isn't threatening.  And Hart has looked very, very human.  Open fly hole, not covering the rebounds; I hope this isn't a delayed sophomore jinx.  

Going into the season, I feared this squad would be exploited by opponents with team speed that get into high percentage areas with little challenge.  That's what we saw in the playoffs last year, and it may be continuing.  Tonight, the Bruins make us look flatfooted. It's not a function of "compete level."  They just don't look very skilled.  

• Like 1