NBCSN Shut Down by End of 2021--Fewer Flyers Games on National TV?

Howie58

It appears national NHL broadcasts are going elsewhere by next year:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nbc-to-shut-down-cable-channel-nbcsn-by-end-of-2021-200634303.html

Comcast and the Flyers are Philly-based.  If the NHL insists on a second network provider, I have to think we'll see fewer games on a national broadcast.  I liked the fact that Keith Jones and others were closely affiliated with the O&B on NBC.  The pandemic has decimated sports coverage.  I guess Comcast and the NHL are adjusting to the new normal.  

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

It appears national NHL broadcasts are going elsewhere by next year:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nbc-to-shut-down-cable-channel-nbcsn-by-end-of-2021-200634303.html

Comcast and the Flyers are Philly-based.  If the NHL insists on a second network provider, I have to think we'll see fewer games on a national broadcast.  I liked the fact that Keith Jones and others were closely affiliated with the O&B on NBC.  The pandemic has decimated sports coverage.  I guess Comcast and the NHL are adjusting to the new normal.  

Yes, Comcast is Philly based. Also, Comcast owns NBC and the Flyers. 

So, NHL games could shift to another NBC network, as the article states, or the NHL could contract with the competing FOX network which may be a good move.

Excerpt:

The NHL has made it clear that it wants to split its rights between at least two TV outlets. NBC has told the NHL that it would carve out regular windows on its broadcast channel and USA Network.

I didn't realize that USA has a much bigger viewer base than the sports channel.  So, Comcast lowers costs and gains revenue.  Another piece says the NHL might also be on Peacock.  Fox coverage of the Panthers has never impressed me, but neither has the team as a chronic underperformer.