Laine/Roslovic to CBJ for Dubois

yave1964

Immediate reaction:

CBJ get the best pure young sniper in their young history since a young Rick Nash, local boy Jack Roslovic who is hard as hell to play against and has been screaming for a larger role with Winnipeg. 

The Peg clear two headaches out in exchange for one, Dubois plays a heavy 200 foot game when motivated. Slotting in as the 2C in Winnipeg he is now among the games best second line centers with a lot to prove.

This is not the fanboy in me but objectively I think this is a HUGE win for the Jackets, two top nine forwards, one of whom is capable of leading the league in goals scored for a player who was clearly unhappy and wanted out. I love Dubois, really do but IMHO if you are Columbus you do this deal every single day and twice on Sunday.

• Like 3

What a terrible trade. That folks, is why the Jets are the Jets.  

Trading a proven 40+ goal scorer in Laine for a nobody in Dubois. Terrible move.

This gets back to my player bidding system thread and why the Winnipeg Jets will never ice a competitive team in the NHL.  I'll just state it right now. The Jets will NEVER win unless something is done to change player attitudes about playing in cities like Winnipeg and Columbus. 

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What a terrible trade. That folks, is why the Jets are the Jets.  

Trading a proven 40+ goal scorer in Laine for a nobody in Dubois. Terrible move.

This gets back to my player bidding system thread and why the Winnipeg Jets will never ice a competitive team in the NHL.  I'll just state it right now. The Jets will NEVER win unless something is done to change player attitudes about playing in cities like Winnipeg and Columbus. 

A nobody?

• Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Okay, substitute the word "nobody" with "common".   Laine is a special hockey player with elite skill. Dubois is easily replaceable by comparison. 

Laine has averaged about 7 points more a year than Dubois. That's hardly earth shattering. Throw in his complete lack of effort defensively, and Dubois physical presence and I really don't see the huge difference you're talking about. 

I do think the 3rd for Roslovic tilts the trade in Columbus' favour...but Dubois is hardly "nobody" nor "common". The Leafs, for one, could use his physicality. So could my Flyers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

A nobody?

You beat me to it.

Look, with the wife being a CBJ fan (and me, with the Wings being putrid awful) I have watched probably 80 percent of the games Dubois has played since he came into the NHL so I feel i have a bit of insight.

He plays hard all 200 foot of the ice, or at least he always has until this season when clearly he decided he had enough of Torts and forced a trade. He loves to bang, he always finishes his checks, his shot is good but not great but he is fearless in front of the net and fantastic at tipping pucks, setting up in front of the net on the power play.

His only glaring weakness is on faceoffs, he does this thing.....Jenner when he came up had a similar problem, his left leg moves out as the puck is dropped, he ends up slightly off balance and loses his power on the draw. It is maddening, it looks like the most simple thing in the world to correct but he has done it since he came up which is why he remains a 45 percent faceoff guy. Maybe Winnipeg can correct it, I dont know if he has a stubborn refusal to learn but he did it as a rookie and still does it now. As big and strong as he is he gets outmuscled in the dot by much smaller players.

his vision is fantastic, he has a hard accurate pass. The Jets skilled wingers will love him, I think Ehlers just jumped up a notch into 40 goal a year category if paired with him, with zero disrespect leveled towards Scheifele who can do many more things better than Dubois, I believe that Dubois is a better passer.

If all goes well, and i wish him nothing but the best in the Peg I think he can be a minor star. I just think that Columbus got more in a potential superstar in Laine and an underutilized Roslovic who I think is a perfect 3C with a chance to center the second group. But a motivated Dubois is a force unto himself.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Immediate reaction:

CBJ get the best pure young sniper in their young history since a young Rick Nash, local boy Jack Roslovic who is hard as hell to play against and has been screaming for a larger role with Winnipeg. 

The Peg clear two headaches out in exchange for one, Dubois plays a heavy 200 foot game when motivated. Slotting in as the 2C in Winnipeg he is now among the games best second line centers with a lot to prove.

This is not the fanboy in me but objectively I think this is a HUGE win for the Jackets, two top nine forwards, one of whom is capable of leading the league in goals scored for a player who was clearly unhappy and wanted out. I love Dubois, really do but IMHO if you are Columbus you do this deal every single day and twice on Sunday.

But now you have no top line center.

And one of your RW's is going to have to play on the otherwise.

Your best bet now is to keep flipping...

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But now you have no top line center.

And one of your RW's is going to have to play on the otherwise.

Your best bet now is to keep flipping...

Center depth by committee. 

1) Domi a winger playing center out of need and out of his desire to prove he is a center against mountains of evidence to the contrary.

2Texier young hungry and crazy skilled but very raw looks lost in the middle best on the wing for now

3)Roslovic who I have always felt was underutilized who could be a 2C but is probably best suited as a 3C

4)Jenner who has worked his tail off and is a fantastic faceoff man who plays hard every shift but is really a 3c or  a second line winger

5)Riley Nash, another winger who can play center on the 4th line if desperate

6)Koivu who has eroded but still wins faceoffs with anyone, albeit it is his only remaining skill

7)Foligno can move inside in a pinch

So yeah, not exactly Draisatl and McJesus, lol. 

If I were lining them up it would be 1C Domi (shudder) 2C Jenner (slightly over his head) 3C Rosplovic with a chance to move up 4C Koivu for defensive draws. Foligno has centered the two kids, Texier and Foudy so he may slot into the 3C, Roslovic 2C and Jenner in his natural position on the wing. 

Overall I truly believe Columbus is a better team today than yesterday and if Domi (shudder) can handle first line center duties they may be vastly improved.

39 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Center depth by committee. 

1) Domi a winger playing center out of need and out of his desire to prove he is a center against mountains of evidence to the contrary.

2Texier young hungry and crazy skilled but very raw looks lost in the middle best on the wing for now

3)Roslovic who I have always felt was underutilized who could be a 2C but is probably best suited as a 3C

4)Jenner who has worked his tail off and is a fantastic faceoff man who plays hard every shift but is really a 3c or  a second line winger

5)Riley Nash, another winger who can play center on the 4th line if desperate

6)Koivu who has eroded but still wins faceoffs with anyone, albeit it is his only remaining skill

7)Foligno can move inside in a pinch

So yeah, not exactly Draisatl and McJesus, lol. 

If I were lining them up it would be 1C Domi (shudder) 2C Jenner (slightly over his head) 3C Rosplovic with a chance to move up 4C Koivu for defensive draws. Foligno has centered the two kids, Texier and Foudy so he may slot into the 3C, Roslovic 2C and Jenner in his natural position on the wing. 

Overall I truly believe Columbus is a better team today than yesterday and if Domi (shudder) can handle first line center duties they may be vastly improved.

Hey at least you'll get a good draft pick.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey at least you'll get a good draft pick.

hey now, lol. Still lots of talent, lots of time to sneak in as a 4 seed, upset the 1 seed and then crap the bed in the second round, lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:
2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

A nobody?

Okay, substitute the word "nobody" with "common".   Laine is a special hockey player with elite skill. Dubois is easily replaceable by comparison. 

You do realize Dubois was drafted at #3 overall in the 2016 NHL Entry draft.  Laine was #2.

Scouting report  for selected players .... Who do you draft?

Player A: 

A phenominal two-way power forward who thrives under pressure. He brings versatility, being able to play as a center or a winger, as well as elite skill and agility. His athleticism is exemplified in his strong skating that allows him to backcheck hard, explode up the ice in-transition, or propel himself up into hits that opponents won't soon forget. His defensive zone play is excellent; he proactively finds and takes away shooting and passing lanes, and makes it tough on opponents to pinpoint any daylight. When he is on the ice, he is uncontainable and leads the forecheck; he creates the time and space for himself to be creative with the puck and finds a way to get it to the back of the net. He makes the players around him better, serving as an example of what hard work and skill can and will be able to produce.

A similarly punishing two-way forward with size and zero deficiencies, Anze Kopitar, is the type of player XXXX will aspire to become at the next level. XXX has the potential to develop into an elite two-way forward who excels as a positive catalyst in every facet of the roles he can play, be it the dynamic scorer, the set-up man, the intimidating power forward, or the defensive-minded shutdown guy. He is the type of player nobody likes to play against. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

Player B:

XXX - XX game is all about skill. Blessed with exceptional hockey sense, technical skills and overall offensive awareness. Very creative and shifty player with speed and soft hands. Furthermore, he has a great release, a good scoring touch and the ability to do the unexpected with the puck. On the downside, there's some consistency issues and intensity could be better. Some room for improvement when it comes to his defensive game as well.

Player C

XXXXX is a strong, shifty skater with a powerful shot, displaying brilliance and hockey sense strikingly similar to what Marner brings to the ice. And while Marner is a winger, XXX is equally adept at bringing you out of your seat while leaving amazed opponents on the very edge of theirs. He’s schooled amateurs of all ages — U.S. college seniors, European stars, NHL-bound Canadian juniors; it doesn’t matter. He’s a hard-nosed, fearless player with a lot of flash, but he’s been Team XXX leader and go-to option for every critical situation – defensive zone draws, killing penalties, gaining entry into the offensive zone, etc. Does he have franchise potential? We’ll let you judge for yourself, but keep in mind he’s nearly produced as much as Jack Eichel and Auston Matthews did with the XXX . XXX is also nearly a year younger than Matthews, who set the XXX scoring record a year ago with 117 points. If XXX keep his current pace for the rest of the season and through the 2016 U18 tournament, he’ll come close to matching him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

hey now, lol. Still lots of talent, lots of time to sneak in as a 4 seed, upset the 1 seed and then crap the bed in the second round, lol

Baby steps.

Win a second game.

Then we'll expand your horizon...

:w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Definitely a 'big deal' trade.
Even if two of the three players (not sure about how unhappy Roslovic was) wanted out of their respective towns.

Now..... what is the over/under on one of (or both) Laine and Dubois wanting out of their NEW teams? :shifty:

Roslovic has been saying for several years that he wanted more of a role, he has not reported to Winnipeg demanding a trade after they traded for Stastny when he thought he was in line for the 2C slot. He is from Columbus and has been hanging around town. He just signed a two year extention so he is likely thrilled with the deal

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Now..... what is the over/under on one of (or both) Laine and Dubois wanting out of their NEW teams? :shifty:

No the over/under is how soon does Laine get into Tort's doghouse .... :VeryCool:

• Like 2

Just now, pilldoc said:

No the over/under is how soon does Laine get into Tort's doghouse .... :VeryCool:

Heh...you sorta beat me to the posting.

I was about to say that Laine in Columbus should be very interesting.
Either Laine learns to play a bit of defense (or at least a bit more of a physical game), or he will rue the day he ever met The Fonz!  :bigteeth: 

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Heh...you sorta beat me to the posting.

I was about to say that Laine in Columbus should be very interesting.
Either Laine learns to play a bit of defense (or at least a bit more of a physical game), or he will rue the day he ever met The Fonz!  :bigteeth: 

Not sure how much better Laine will enjoy playing under Torts in another small market....
Dubois swapping Torts for Maurice pretty lateral move too. Hehe.

For fantasy purposes:
I think Dubois should do fine in Winnipeg. Lots of talent around him. Will put up good numbers if he can get on the 1st PP unit.

Laine should do ok in Columbus, but might have a small regression. Less talent around him and and a traffic jam of RW shooters. Laine likely sees 1st line deployment.

I'm just can’t believe the Jets weren’t able to get more for Laine. especially when the whole world knew that Dubois was getting traded.

In my opinion this goes one of two ways...
Laine gets Torts fired ..... Or..... Torts turns Laine into the 50 goal guy we all know he can be.

Here’s the crux of it for me...again...just my opinion...
Maurice is a terrible hockey coach. Torts is a jerk but a really good hockey coach. It’s all going to be down to how Laine sees his new situation. If he allows himself to be coached by Torts - it’s a big win for all on the CBJ end of things. That’s a pretty big if. But it’s there.

• Like 1

Just now, pilldoc said:

I'm just can’t believe the Jets weren’t able to get more for Laine. especially when the whole world knew that Dubois was getting traded.

Yeah. Problem is, the whole world also knew that neither Laine nor Roslovic wanted to be in Wpg. Tough situation for the GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah. Problem is, the whole world also knew that neither Laine nor Roslovic wanted to be in Wpg. Tough situation for the GM.

If I was trading with the Jets, I'd base EVERY trade on the assumption that the player doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, and I'd lowball their organization on every trade.

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

You do realize Dubois was drafted at #3 overall in the 2016 NHL Entry draft.  Laine was #2.

Scouting report  for selected players .... Who do you draft?

Yes but I'm going by what they've done in the NHL. 

• Dubois is a ~55 point player who gets you ~20 goals.
  • Laine is a ~70 point player who gets you ~35 goals.

Laine had one dreadful -24 season, but other than that he's been similar to Dubois. Laine also stays out of the penalty box. 

You need more out of a centerman than what Dubois provides. Laine is a #1 winger. Dubois is a #2 or #3 center. 

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Laine had one dreadful -24 season, but other than that he's been similar to Dubois. Laine also stays out of the penalty box. 

You need more out of a centerman than what Dubois provides. Laine is a #1 winger. Dubois is a #2 or #3 center. 

Will agree to disagree ..... Both are young players and only 4 yrs in the league.  Different players grow at different rates.  Revisit this topic again in 2-3 yrs and see where their respective careers are at ..... too early to judge.

Laine has shown very little in playoffs and that is where it counts in my book ... Dobois is more than a #3 Center.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Now..... what is the over/under on one of (or both) Laine and Dubois wanting out of their NEW teams?

I was going to post before the trade that Columbus should really teach Dubois a small market, middle of nowhere town lesson and trade him to Winnipeg.

But they beat me to it.

:hocky:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Look I believe that the CBJ came out fantastic on the deal but lets look at this from Winnipegs side

Roslovic was never coming back-period. He felt slighted when they traded for Stastny, he has a chip on his shoulder and believes he should have been given a fair shot at the second line center role.

Laine is a RFA at the end of the year and will command 8 to 9 million per, and has made it clear he has zero intention of giving Winnipeg a discount. Dubois is signed for 2 more years at 5 million per

Laine is a legit top ten goal scorer which is a tremendous skill but he has a rep as being soft with just that one skill. Kind of like Dave Kingman used to hit 40ish homers but hit 230 every year.

Dubois plays center, a much more demanding position. He was a solid 200 foot player for Columbus as compared to Laine who is not. And the third rounder, statisticaly speaking a mid third round pick has roughly a 20 percent chance of getting an NHL player, a decent add on for them.

Adding Dubois gives the Jets arguably the leagues deepest center depth in the game, Scheifele, Dubois, Stastny and Copp are tremendously deep.

So The Jets didnt exactly blow up their roster, they simply changed the makeup. Columbus who struck out on every free agent this offseason added two top nine forwards for one and added an elite albeit flawed goal scorer. Winnipeg got a skilled player at a harder position to fill who they know for the next two seasons what he is getting paid and a 20 percent chance at another NHLer. I give the edge to Columbus but Winnipeg accomplished the best that they could. Both got what they wanted.

• Like 1