Flyers are the only team in the division without an elite game breaking player

RonJeremy

43 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Your ENTIRE TEAM is a threat whenever they're on the ice.  How can you whine about having a 1st place team that almost won the Cup last season?

If we had your roster it would be the best Leafs team in the past 25 years! 

All of your stars are on defence.  You may not win the Art Ross or Hart trophies but you'll be cleaning up with Selke and Norris trophies. 

That's it we're just spoiled.

49 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Your ENTIRE TEAM is a threat whenever they're on the ice.  How can you whine about having a 1st place team that almost won the Cup last season?

If we had your roster it would be the best Leafs team in the past 25 years! 

All of your stars are on defence.  You may not win the Art Ross or Hart trophies but you'll be cleaning up with Selke and Norris trophies. 

We almost won the Cup? What team were you watching, we barely beat Montreal and they outplayed us in most of the games. The Islanders dominated us  and skated circles around us, and dominated the boards, we couldn’t even get the puck away from Barzal and his line. Every time they were on the ice it looked like a PP. Hart was the only reason we competed. Who are these stars we have on the blueline? We have one very good defenseman, Provorov, but he is not a star. Sanheim and Meyers are a work in progress. Ghost has taken many steps back over the last few years, Braun is a stiff and Haag is a 6th defenseman. 

• Like 1

The 2014 Kings played big boy hockey. You had to earn every inch of ice against them. They had a lot of nasty and a lot of leadership. The west final against the Hawks was epic, an all time great series.

Doughty and Quick were stars, and they had some guys who got better in the playoffs, no ghosts.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We almost won the Cup? What team were you watching, we barely beat Montreal and they outplayed us in most of the games. The Islanders dominated us  and skated circles around us, and dominated the boards, we couldn’t even get the puck away from Barzal and his line. Every time they were on the ice it looked like a PP. Hart was the only reason we competed. Who are these stars we have on the blueline? We have one very good defenseman, Provorov, but he is not a star. Sanheim and Meyers are a work in progress. Ghost has taken many steps back over the last few years, Braun is a stiff and Haag is a 6th defenseman. 

The team that tied the Capitals last season with 41 wins, was 9-1-0 before covid ended the season, and finished with 89 points last season..... good for 4th best in the conference, while being on pace to blow past the ice cold Capitals and Lightning and push the Bruins for 1st overall. 

The Flyers were either the best, second best, third best, or fourth best team in the entire NHL behind only the Bruins, Avalanche, and Blues. Had the season played to completion, it's quite possible the Flyers would have won the President's trophy. They were the hottest team in the NHL at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The team that tied the Capitals last season with 41 wins, was 9-1-0 before covid ended the season, and finished with 89 points last season..... good for 4th best in the conference, while being on pace to blow past the ice cold Capitals and Lightning and push the Bruins for 1st overall. 

The Flyers were either the best, second best, third best, or fourth best team in the entire NHL behind only the Bruins, Avalanche, and Blues. Had the season played to completion, it's quite possible the Flyers would have won the President's trophy. They were the hottest team in the NHL at the time.

So what you're saying is, pro-rated, we won the cup!

• Haha 3
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Key word..were....  In the playoffs our weakness was exposed, all that matters is the end result. We have a good team but we need another veteran defenseman who can actually play defense and we are not physical enough, we got pushed around by Boston last night and the Isles in the playoffs. Until we address those areas we will not win anything.

• Like 1

there's so much pressure on our bottom 6 because our 3 main players giroux, jake, jvr arent producing. i said this on another forum, if they dont show up, we will not make the playoffs because of every team that has 3 elite forwards that produce make the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

we need another veteran defenseman

Two guys I would prefer who have also been mentioned around these parts in other conversations I would target.

David Savard my first choice with a 4.25mill cap hit. A right hand shot.

Is a UFA at seasons end.

The other is Brandon Montour with a 3.8 mill cap hit. Also a right hand shot.

Also a UFA.

Two reasons I would prefer the rentals is two fold should be cheaper to acquire and it gives you a chance to see how they mesh before signing for longer.

Best case you resign at the end of the season.

Worse case you get to walk away if it doesn't work out.

Now what the cost will be I'll let someone suggest.

However Savard would be the stabilizing two way guy then need to help out on the top pair. And not too old will be 31 next October 6-2 235 brings some solid size on the back end.

Montour would be a good option as well a little more offense than Savard younger at 27 next season and smaller 6-0 195.

Make an offer...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Two guys I would prefer who have also been mentioned around these parts in other conversations I would target.

David Savard my first choice with a 4.25mill cap hit. A right hand shot.

Is a UFA at seasons end.

The other is Brandon Montour with a 3.8 mill cap hit. Also a right hand shot.

Also a UFA.

Two reasons I would prefer the rentals is two fold should be cheaper to acquire and it gives you a chance to see how they mesh before signing for longer.

Best case you resign at the end of the season.

Worse case you get to walk away if it doesn't work out.

Now what the cost will be I'll let someone suggest.

However Savard would be the stabilizing two way guy then need to help out on the top pair. And not too old will be 31 next October 6-2 235 brings some solid size on the back end.

Montour would be a good option as well a little more offense than Savard younger at 27 next season and smaller 6-0 195.

Make an offer...

I agree with that, we could also use a skilled forward that can take the body and keep the other teams from running our guys. 

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

there's so much pressure on our bottom 6 because our 3 main players giroux, jake, jvr arent producing. i said this on another forum, if they dont show up, we will not make the playoffs because of every team that has 3 elite forwards that produce make the playoffs.

Nobody wants to accept it but Giroux is finished as the go to guy on the Flyers.  He is rarely a factor in any games and is usually invisible in the big games against the top competition. Boston’s top guys ,Bergeron and Marchand were big contributors last night, our so called best player was a non factor as usual. It’s been long enough and he is clearly a player in decline. He belongs on the third line. I hope to god we don’t re-sign him when his contract is up. 

• Like 1

This goes back to Hextall, and general organizational mindset. They wanted homegrown talent, to supplement their overvalued veterans, such as Giroux and Voracek.  They have tried desperately to "bring the kids up" through the system. Great. We still can't make a fair assessment as to whether half of the can still play, because the "leadership" like Giroux and Voracek, don't lead. The best non-goalie on this team is Coots, and it's not close. You're seeing what happens when he's not in the lineup. I say...broken record in essence..because I've said it before, we should shop Ghost, Giroux and Voracek and see what we can get. It might not be a lot, but I want to find out. I know DEFENSIVELY..some of what is going on, is the sudden retirement of Niskanen, and putting more responsibility on the younger players. Also, Gustafsson has been uhh less than impressive. The mindset can't do a COMPLETE 360, and go from the impulsive days of trading young players for established or over the hill players, to this total patience" mantra. There needs to be a middle ground, where better veteran leadership needs to be brought in here..and the egos at the top..if they want to win...need to let that happen. That has been a constant. If you're "a Flyer guy", you get a lifetime contract. NO!!! 

Done. LOL

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Nobody wants to accept it but Giroux is finished as the go to guy on the Flyers.  He is rarely a factor in any games and is usually invisible in the big games against the top competition. Boston’s top guys ,Bergeron and Marchand were big contributors last night, our so called best player was a non factor as usual. It’s been long enough and he is clearly a player in decline. He belongs on the third line. I hope to god we don’t re-sign him when his contract is up. 

That's just it. Perfectly stated. Giroux and Voracek are not first line guys anymore. End of story. This organization fell in love with things like Giroux's "the shift", and now they have fully bought in, to their own propaganda.

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

This goes back to Hextall, and general organizational mindset. They wanted homegrown talent, to supplement their overvalued veterans, such as Giroux and Voracek.  They have tried desperately to "bring the kids up" through the system. Great. We still can't make a fair assessment as to whether half of the can still play, because the "leadership" like Giroux and Voracek, don't lead. The best non-goalie on this team is Coots, and it's not close. You're seeing what happens when he's not in the lineup. I say...broken record in essence..because I've said it before, we should shop Ghost, Giroux and Voracek and see what we can get. It might not be a lot, but I want to find out. I know DEFENSIVELY..some of what is going on, is the sudden retirement of Niskanen, and putting more responsibility on the younger players. Also, Gustafsson has been uhh less than impressive. The mindset can't do a COMPLETE 360, and go from the impulsive days of trading young players for established or over the hill players, to this total patience" mantra. There needs to be a middle ground, where better veteran leadership needs to be brought in here..and the egos at the top..if they want to win...need to let that happen. That has been a constant. If you're "a Flyer guy", you get a lifetime contract. NO!!! 

it's the whole roster in general from hextall's drafting defensive first players with no offensive skill, that's why you see alot of passing and no shooting because they have no shooting skill. i mean you see it in the shootouts where there's no skill in these players at all. not to mention, the goalies in general are alot bigger than it was 10 years ago which makes it harder for players to put pucks threw the legs since they have a larger reach advance which is why they need players with shooting skill to elevate the pucks and not shooting at the pads.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree with that, we could also use a skilled forward that can take the body and keep the other teams from running our guys. 

Well dress Morin for the forward.

I mean damn what is the point of having him and not trying it.

And if they aren't sure then dress 11 forwards and 7  D man to try it out.

47 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Nobody wants to accept it but Giroux is finished as the go to guy on the Flyers.  

It not going to change until we stop asking excuses for the entire team.

The opposition went through the same issues the Flyers did. New guys and injuries and no exhibition games or much practice.

Just like the bubble every team went through the same issues.

In the end the best teams find a way the best men lead by themselves they don't look for other to lead for them.

When we all stop making excuses sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves the answer is right there before our eyes.

Now all you have to do is do something about it....

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well dress Morin for the forward.

I mean damn what is the point of having him and not trying it.

And if they aren't sure then dress 11 forwards and 7  D man to try it out.

Not only will he have to learn a new position, he is raw and turnover prone, along with no foot speed. No thanks. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

It not going to change until we stop asking excuses for the entire team.

The opposition went through the same issues the Flyers did. New guys and injuries and no exhibition games or much practice.

Just like the bubble every team went through the same issues.

In the end the best teams find a way the best men lead by themselves they don't look for other to lead for them.

When we all stop making excuses sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves the answer is right there before our eyes.

Now all you have to do is do something about it....

The fact that no fans are in the stands, might be making this team take it's time in "shaking things up" more than normal, but they need to upgrade the roster via trade. I wonder what Ed Snider would have thought about this mess.

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The fact that no fans are in the stands, might be making this team take it's time in "shaking things up" more than normal, but they need to upgrade the roster via trade. I wonder what Ed Snider would have thought about this mess.

Well they need to take cues from the Sharks.

They got rid of Pavelski, Marleau, Thornton and the Flyers bum Braun and maybe some others I am forgetting.

When a team keeps underachieving it is time to find other players and you know try something new. And they did it not long after coming off a Stanley Cup finals.

The Flyers need to follow suit.

They did it with Simmer now keep trimming.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Key word..were....  In the playoffs our weakness was exposed, all that matters is the end result. We have a good team but we need another veteran defenseman who can actually play defense and we are not physical enough, we got pushed around by Boston last night and the Isles in the playoffs. Until we address those areas we will not win anything.

I'm so glad Boston is in your division this year. I think you're up to the challenge of trying to "out-win" the team that always wins!  😃👍

The two biggest threats to the Leafs (Boston and Tampa) are gone from the division. Nothing to stand in Toronto's way this season. Leafs are going to clean up the North division so nicely. Just imagine: The President's trophy winner: GONE. The Stanley Cup champion: GONE. Life got a lot easier for Leafs fans.  :mapleleafs:

Edited by WordsOfWisdom