So...does the Flyers organization REALLY have a plan?

FD19372

We have a goalie in Hart. We have young players like Provorov, Konecny, Lindblom, Laughton, Hagg and Sanheim. We have a bunch of veterans, Giroux, Voracejk and Van Reimsdyk, who are overpaid, and weighing down the team, quite honestly. Our veterans are being given a leadership role that they are not embracing. Management seems to be in a holding pattern, probably aided by the fact that there are no fans in the stands. I'm not sure that they know what to do, but this current roster cannot and WILL not cut it. They s*rewed themselves with handing out ridiculous NMCs to players like Giroux and Voracek (stop me if you've heard me say that before). If these guys are supposed to be your leaders, they aren't it by any means. We need more physical players, more players responsible defensively and management willing to at least tinker when they're personnel isn't living up to expectations.  They overaccomodate 2nd or 3rd line talent, like Giroux and Voracek and pay them like 1st line talent .. and it's killing the team. Ed Snider was impulsive quite often. However, management's "wait and see" and "let them grow" mentality, doesn't seem to be working, either. I wonder what Ed Snider would be thinking right now. We're going to continue to develop, stay the course and see what happens BUT Ghost has regressed, and it isn't too farfetched to think that if we don't help Provorov back there, he will want out of here sooner than later. The Flyers FINALLY have a very good young goalie. Now, we seem to have a mix of overpaid veterans, given roles that they may not be capable of handling, coupled with young players who we're saying 'we'll give you NHL experience" to, but are we just frustrating the hell out of them...because, well, the organization has almost no plan to build around Hart. If there is a plan, other than "let them grow" and we'll "sit on our hands in the meantime", I don't see it.  Now I'm just rambling. but this team NEEDS A BIG SHAKEUP. This team is NOT a good mix. I just think management is clueless, and ownership may...may not be willing to part with some players. We need a Tkachuk type of player...or players on this team. Ones with an edge in their game. After watching the first few games of the season, this team has absolutely killed my enthusiasm for watching.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Thoughts (other than I might need a Xanax)?

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

After watching the first few games of the season, this team has absolutely killed my enthusiasm for watching.

I knew it was coming it is why I canceled my subscription to NHLtv and saved the $90.

Now I have still watched the game from the free game links I have found and posted here but now I don't feel so guilty like last night turning it off after it was 4-1.

And until the organization is hit in the wallet they will continue to roll out this garbage team.

I knew that what we saw this past playoff run was really what this was and not the hot run they had at the end of the season.

Now they have a crap team they have to figure out.

They have good pieces:

Konecny

Patrick

Limblom

Farabee

NAK

Provorov

Sanheim

Myers

Hart

Not sort out the rest of the junk.

He'll donate the stuff not needed to Goodwill...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

image.jpeg.5636fb678f463905bfc25c45f23af319.jpeg

You are not wrong......this has been the MO of the Flyers for years and has been beaten to death. 

Wait ...not wrong about the Flyers, or needing the Xanax?:ph34r:

Edited by FD19372
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Wait ...not wrong about the Flyers, or needing the Xanax?:ph34r:

Both ...you need a Xanax to watch the Flyers because of the acute anxiety they will give you and your basic assessment is pretty much on point.   Problem is, and this too has been beaten to death like a dead horse, that this team never went into a true rebuild.  Hexy tried to stay competitive and still do a rebuild.  However with hind sight pretty much being 20/20, this plan is not coming to fruition.  In the end they should have just let some of these higher priced veterans go.  I could be wrong, but its the way I currently see ......

• Like 3

How do they keep getting it wrong, so often? We all knew they needed a scorer. We knew they needed to replace Nisky. We knew Braun wasn't the answer. We knew Gus was the wrong move. There were players out there.

Yet, here we are. No offense. No defense. No forecheck. No fire or grit. And at this rate, no fans

Its a head scratcher :confused[1]:

Soap rinse REPEAT. We have all been saying the same thing for 10 years. The plan is sell tickets. Beyond that there is no plan. Bryz, Briere, Umberger, Schlemko, MacDonald, buyouts. Lecavalier, Hartnell, salary dumps. You want to send a message and make the future brighter cap wise, expansion draft wise, player accountability wise, picnic is over wise, Giroux buyout. Today. But won't happen. They will just stay mediocre for another 10 years. Extremely frustrating. It used to mean something to be a Flyer.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, FD19372 said:

We need a Tkachuk type of player....

I have said the same thing in many posts in the past. I have been watching this team since 74 ,when I was ten and I have never seen such a lack of toughness and leadership on a Flyers team. It is no coincidence that since guys like Pronger left this team has gone mentally and physically soft. In the past even when the team sucked, they always put in 100% effort and didn’t get pushed around. You can’t have a soft spoken , quiet leader as your captain. Your highest paid player isn’t your best leader, it doesn’t work that way. A true leader is a guy who will instill accountability in the other players and he will also lead by example. He will make his presence felt even if he is held scoreless in a game, the other team will know he was there. Giroux should be called Ghost.

Can you really look at Giroux  and Voracek and say they are on par with Clarke,  Bridgeman, Sutter , Tocchet,  Primeau or Pronger as a leader? You need a type A personality on this team all we have are a bunch of beta male soyboys.  A guy like Tkachuck is exactly what we need , a guy that other teams hate to play against and who makes the players around him brave because of the way he plays and they know he has their back and also won’t let them get away with slacking off.

In the past we basically gutted the team to get Lindros, it’s time for another bold move. I know there are no generational talents up for trade right now. The management has to realize that Giroux and Voracek are not leading us to the promised land and it’s time to plan ahead. We need to unload one big contract either JVR or Voracek at the expansion draft, we need to free up some cap space ,even if we have to throw something in for Seattle to take one of them.

We need to explore trade options and see what we can do to fix some of these shortcomings. If there are no viable trades then we have to be financially prepared to sign a good pending UFA that is relatively young ,even if we have to wait two season for PLD or Laine or any other quality UFA, .  Somehow need to get the missing pieces,  which is a finisher , , a winger with size and skill and a defensively sound defenseman with size and grit. Even if it means taking two steps back and missing the playoffs because of trading multiple players/prospects and due to the inevitable collapse of Giroux and Voracek.  

We have some finishers in our system, Allison, Foerester and Radcliffe all have size and great shots , and Brink a small guy with a great shot. So we do have some bigger skilled players on the way. In the meantime, we need to move ahead as if Giroux and Voracek are no longer on the team, they are the past  , not the future. If there is a Tkachuck style player available in the next draft, do whatever it takes to get him. Having a pool of prospects is one thing, but if there is no chemistry and the pieces don’t fit, then you have to trade your pieces to another team to get the right pieces for your team. For example , when Clarke got John Leclair , he thought he would fit great with Lindros and he was right, he had a plan. He didn’t just put Trent Klatt on the wing and hope it worked. We need to build the puzzle correctly like a true architect would.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 6:14 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I nominate Aleksander Barkov.

6-3 215 25 year old center.

Go get him!

I nominate Connor McDavid. 

6'1" 195 24 year old centre.

Barkov has one more year at $5.9 but where he's actually being paid $7.75. I imagine he wants to go up from there.

We aren't getting either team captain without a gross overpayment.

• Haha 1

Are there any young top notch FAs available  in the off-season that can help this team ? I believe Laine and PLD don’t become FAs until two seasons from now. Or maybe some other guys who are two seasons away from a big payday and may be put on the trading block for financial reasons. If we can’t make any trades or sign any FAs , maybe we try and move up in the draft and get an immediate impact player. I think it’s time to make a bold move , we have a bunch of prospects , sometimes you have to take a step back in order to move forward. We need to acquire an A list player.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Ghost er I mean Giroux has 6 points in 7 games is one of the few flyers who hasn't been buried 5 v 5.

https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1353446324109238278?s=20

Voracek along with Hayes is leading the team in scoring they are top 20 in the league

JvR has 5 goals and is 9th in the league.

These old dudes aren't the problem. 

I know people have been watching, what part of Jake's game has been bad this season?

I'll wait.

I want them to play better too, however, 4-2-1 through 7 is alright, especially for collectively playing like cellulite riddled ass. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Ghost er I mean Giroux has 6 points in 7 games is one of the few flyers who hasn't been buried 5 v 5.

https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1353446324109238278?s=20

Voracek along with Hayes is leading the team in scoring they are top 20 in the league

JvR has 5 goals and is 9th in the league.

These old dudes aren't the problem. 

I know people have been watching, what part of Jake's game has been bad this season?

I'll wait.

I want them to play better too, however, 4-2-1 through 7 is alright, especially for collectively playing like cellulite riddled ass. 

JVR has been a good goal scorer especially on tip ins, but he is very one dimensional, he scores mostly on the PP and does not create much out there. He is prone to long droughts

Giroux has no goals and is also prone to long droughts. He does not score enough goals .

Jake has been his normal self, he will get his points, but he also is more of an assist man.

Hayes puts in a great effort every night, no complaints.

Where is our player who can do it all, who can singlehandedly go end to end and score, who makes his linemates better and who consistently scores goals. Are we the only team that can’t setup a highlight reel goal?  Where is our creativity? We got away from the Broad St Bully style and the muck it up grinding game and drafted smaller “skilled” players,yet all our goals are on scrambles , broken plays and are not exciting goals. Where is our chemistry?  Our guys can’t even execute clean passes or give and go. I still can’t figure it out, do we draft the wrong players,do we play the wrong style, or do we just suck? Other teams look like the 77 Canadiens with their puck movement and fluid plays. We look like a street hockey team.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

JVR has been a good goal scorer especially on tip ins, but he is very one dimensional, he scores mostly on the PP and does not create much out there. He is prone to long droughts

Giroux has no goals and is also prone to long droughts. He does not score enough goals .

Jake has been his normal self, he will get his points, but he also is more of an assist man.

Hayes puts in a great effort every night, no complaints.

Where is our player who can do it all, who can singlehandedly go end to end and score, who makes his linemates better and who consistently scores goals. Are we the only team that can’t setup a highlight reel goal?  Where is our creativity? We got away from the Broad St Bully style and the muck it up grinding game and drafted smaller “skilled” players,yet all our goals are on scrambles , broken plays and are not exciting goals. Where is our chemistry?  Our guys can’t even execute clean passes or give and go. I still can’t figure it out, do we draft the wrong players,do we play the wrong style, or do we just suck? Other teams look like the 77 Canadiens with their puck movement and fluid plays. We look like a street hockey team.

P.S.  Hartnell, Rinaldo and Carrillo were more exciting than any players we have now. This team has no personality except for TK.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Are there any young top notch FAs available  in the off-season that can help this team ? I believe Laine and PLD don’t become FAs until two seasons from now. Or maybe some other guys who are two seasons away from a big payday and may be put on the trading block for financial reasons. If we can’t make any trades or sign any FAs , maybe we try and move up in the draft and get an immediate impact player. I think it’s time to make a bold move , we have a bunch of prospects , sometimes you have to take a step back in order to move forward. We need to acquire an A list player.

I would like to see them take a run at Ryan-Nugent Hopkins...presuming he stays a UFA not re-signed by the Oilers. He has some speed, and can play center and wing, and he's a pretty consistent scorer. I would try and trade Patrick. As far as adding a more physical winger who can put the puck in the net (which is what they really need), Fletcher would likely have to trade for one at this point. 

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

We aren't getting either team captain without a gross overpayment.

Sure it will take a lot i am willing to do it for Barkov.

McDavid isn't going to be moved so i won't even entertain that.

However i would move anyone on the roster not name Hart, Provorov or Couturier. 

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I want them to play better too, however, 4-2-1 through 7 is alright

Sure but don't you want more than alright??

One thing is for certain we are about to know where they stand for real after this last Devils game.

Two games vs Isles, Boston and then the Caps. Guess we'll see how they weather the storm.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure it will take a lot i am willing to do it for Barkov.

It would be great, and maybe a dream, if that would happen during the season. What was the last time, even a slightly big trade happened during the season for the Flyers? Brayden Schenn for Jori Lehtera and our 1st, which ended up being Morgan Frost.