Leafs should try to acquire Phil Myers

WordsOfWisdom

To address the need for more toughness, more size, and more defence on the Leafs, Phil Myers of the Flyers would be a nice addition.

He hasn't done much this season (yet) but last season was appealing. 16 pts, +17, in 50 GP. Just over 17 minutes ATOI. He was a contributor on a very good Flyers team last year. He's young, so he can grow with the existing core group of Leafs star players. Hopefully, he could learn from Muzzin and Rielly and become a future star defenceman.

Maybe the Flyers could be reunited with Wayne Simmonds as part of the deal. Thoughts?

:) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

26 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

To address the need for more toughness and more size on the Leafs, Phil Myers of the Flyers would be a nice addition to the Leafs.

He hasn't done much this season (yet) but last season was appealing. 16 pts, +17, in 50 GP. Just over 17 minutes ATOI. He was a contributor on a very good Flyers team last year.

Maybe the Flyers could be reunited with Wayne Simmonds as part of the deal. Thoughts?

Ya, we traded Simmonds away 2 years ago for a 3rd liner and a 4th and now we want to send our young 6'5" 215 lb talented defenceman to the Leafs for him just to help you guys out..

How about Philly trades Braun to the Leafs for Nick Robertson? He doesn't have any points yet this year.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, we traded Simmonds away 2 years ago for a 3rd liner and a 4th and now we want to send our young 6'5" 215 lb talented defenceman to the Leafs for him just to help you guys out..

Actually Simmonds has been a good addition to the Leafs (toughness wise). He doesn't do anything else, but he is a physical presence.   

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Actually Simmonds has been a good addition to the Leafs (toughness wise). He doesn't do anything else, but he is a physical presence.   

One of my all time favorites...but I don't want him back. Especially for Myers. You'd have to overpay to pry him away. He's our 2nd best defenceman. Yes he's had a tough start...so has everyone else not named JVR on the Flyers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

To address the need for more toughness, more size, and more defence on the Leafs, Phil Myers of the Flyers would be a nice addition.

He hasn't done much this season (yet) but last season was appealing. 16 pts, +17, in 50 GP. Just over 17 minutes ATOI. He was a contributor on a very good Flyers team last year. He's young, so he can grow with the existing core group of Leafs star players. Hopefully, he could learn from Muzzin and Rielly and become a future star defenceman.

Words of Wisdom, more like Words of Delusion...the last thing the Flyers would do is trade Meyers. Do you work for CNN?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Words of Wisdom, more like Words of Delusion...the last thing the Flyers would do is trade Meyers. Do you work for CNN?

CNN is fake news.  I keep it real.  ✌️😎

If the Flyers are looking for an elite game breaker of a guy, the Leafs have those players. But the price for someone the calibre of a Marner, Matthews, or Tavares would be a Norris trophy winning defenceman, not an unproven rookie like Myers. Myers isn't even remotely close to any of Toronto's big 3 (or big 4 if you include Nylander) in value. 

Honestly and truly, if I were GM..... the return on Myers would be one of our established third line wingers (depth basically) or one of our unproven, recently drafted defencemen. Take your pick. You wouldn't be getting Rielly or Muzzin or Holl. The big 3/4 are out of the question. Not gonna happen. 

Gotta give up something to get something.  Myers is intriguing for what he might become. If you truly want an impact player NOW to put your team over the top, you need to be willing to part ways with someone interesting or other teams will never bite.  :) 

36 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

If the Flyers are looking for an elite game breaker of a guy, the Leafs have those players. But the price for someone the calibre of a Marner, Matthews, or Tavares would be a Norris trophy winning defenceman, not an unproven rookie like Myers. Myers isn't even remotely close to any of Toronto's big 3 (or big 4 if you include Nylander) in value. 

Honestly and truly, if I were GM..... the return on Myers would be one of our established third line wingers (depth basically) or one of our unproven, recently drafted defencemen. Take your pick. You wouldn't be getting Rielly or Muzzin or Holl. The big 3/4 are out of the question. Not gonna happen. 

Gotta give up something to get something.  Myers is intriguing for what he might become. If you truly want an impact player NOW to put your team over the top, you need to be willing to part ways with someone interesting or other teams will never bite.  :) 

I don’t disagree , obviously a guy like Marner would cost us so many players that it would weaken the team overall. As much as we need a game breaking  goal scorer , more importantly we really need another defenseman who can play defense, just to be competitive. Our defense took a big hit losing Niskanen and  so there is no way we could trade Provorov, Meyers or Sanheim at this point.  Braun is useless, Haag is an OK 6th guy, Gus is horrible defensively, Ghost is slightly better, so if anything, we will be trading for a defenseman, not trading a defenseman. Unfortunately for the Flyers  , I do not see us getting a big goal scorer unless Brink or Foerester turn into that down the road or in a couple of seasons we sigh an UFA like Laine. The only other way is to just get plain lucky like Boston did with Pastranuk  and the Isles did with Barzal. These guys were picked in the middle of the draft and turned out to be superstars. Sometimes it’s just plain luck. We had the # 2 pick twice , we got JVR and Patrick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm not dumb enough to think Myers would get me one of those 3, or even 4. Just like you shouldn't be dumb enough to think what used to be Wayne Simmonds would get you Phillipe Myers. 

If you were my GM and you traded my 24 year old swift skating 6'5" 215 lb right shot talented 2nd best defenceman with an edge to his game for a 3rd liner and an unproven I'd fire your ass in a heartbeat. 

Sure. But first give us a reason why on earth we'd trade Myers, who at worst is a 2nd pairing dman, for a guy we didn't want 2 years ago, or a package of not much?  You have to give up something, to get something...somebody once told me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

not an unproven rookie like Myers.

Depends on what you call proven.

Marner has 5 career playoff goals in 4 trips to the playoffs.

Nylander the same.

Myers has 3 goals in one playoff year. 

So i guess we'll be keeping Myers.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Uh, no!!!

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not dumb enough to think Myers would get me one of those 3, or even 4. Just like you shouldn't be dumb enough to think what used to be Wayne Simmonds would get you Phillipe Myers. 

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If you were my GM and you traded my 24 year old swift skating 6'5" 215 lb right shot talented 2nd best defenceman with an edge to his game for a 3rd liner and an unproven I'd fire your ass in a heartbeat. 

So basically you want a game breaking forward for your team to put you in line with the rest of the teams in your division, but you just don't want to have to give anything up (besides JVR or Braun I'm assuming) to get one.  Good luck with that. Unless you develop your own star forward through the draft it's not happening through trade.  :) 

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Myers has 3 goals in one playoff year. 

You played three rounds of playoffs IN one year. The Leafs need three years to get that many games!  (Sadly.)  :( 

All I'm saying is, the Leafs can't afford to keep Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares up front long term. So eventually, one of those four guys will become available in a trade as the Leafs try to bolster their defence. So you'll have your chance to get one of those guys if your team is willing to part with something real in return and take that risk.

41 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You played three rounds of playoffs IN one year. The Leafs need three years to get that many games!  (Sadly.)

My point exactly so even if the collections of all your guys you want to offer was any good you would be further in four years that isn't Myers fault that is all your top talents fault.

The answer is still no....

...Myers for Matthews and a 3rd might do it.

Thing 1:

54 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Unless you develop your own star forward through the draft it's not happening through trade.

Thing 2:

45 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Matthews, Marner, Nylander...eventually, one of those four guys will become available in a trade as the Leafs try to bolster their defence. So you'll have your chance to get one of those guys

What I like most about your posts is that I don't have to come here and tell you that you make no sense. You do it for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

So basically you want a game breaking forward for your team to put you in line with the rest of the teams in your division, but you just don't want to have to give anything up (besides JVR or Braun I'm assuming) to get one.  Good luck with that. Unless you develop your own star forward through the draft it's not happening through trade.  :) 

Just to be clear....YOU brought up trading FOR Myers. Where did I say I wanted a game breaking forward for him? I don't want to trade him...period.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Thing 1:

Thing 2:

What I like most about your posts is that I don't have to come here and tell you that you make no sense. You do it for me.

It's not happening through trade UNLESS the Flyers are willing to take a risk and give up something that other teams value in return. That's my point.

You can't expect to acquire a Patrick Kane and send back a player like Braun.  Nobody wants to give up a star player for a castoff.  You need to give up a star to get a star, or you need to move a player who might become a star + a player who is already an established NHL player.    

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Just to be clear....YOU brought up trading FOR Myers. Where did I say I wanted a game breaking forward for him? I don't want to trade him...period.

I brought it up because the Leafs need to build a solid TOP 4 defence if they want to win it all. Rielly and Muzzin are good. After that we've got question marks. Holl has been good so far. Brodie is "meh". The rest are basically "flush and forget". 

Muzzin, Holl, and Bogosian have good size, but only two of the three can actually play.   Toronto still needs to get bigger and tougher back there. Myers is what the Leafs are missing. He's what the Leafs have always been missing back there for 30+ years and counting. 

But who am I kidding? The Leafs are in 1st place in their division. There's no pressure on them to do anything. They're dealing from a position of strength. The Leafs can coast to a North division victory with the roster they already have. Trouble won't really start until they hit the teams from the OTHER divisions where the usual team weaknesses will be exposed and exploited. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

But isn't this exactly what your OP suggests? Viz. Myers as part of a deal for Wayne Fukcing Simmonds?

Okay, I was being cute with that one lol.  😆

Simmonds is actually noticeable out there. He's making a contribution. Chipped in a goal the other night too.