Leafs should try to acquire Phil Myers

WordsOfWisdom

11 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Simmonds physical game takes a toll. Throwing yourself into the boards and random opponents is exciting, but he should really work on how to stop...⛸️

Yes he hasn't put up more than 8 goals since 2018-19 tells a lot...

...only 11 total goals since that season.

On his 5th team since that season too....it happens power forwards play fall off a cliff when they begin to decline....sadly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes he hasn't put up more than 8 goals since 2018-19 tells a lot...

...only 11 total goals since that season.

On his 5th team since that season too....it happens power forwards play fall off a cliff when they begin to decline....sadly.

In fairness the Leafs didn't bring in Simmonds to score. They have plenty of guys to do that. They wanted his toughness. They didn't have that. Not much, anyway.

Gotta hand it to him too, his first game as a Leaf he goes 6'3" 235 lb Ben Chariat. Leafs were down 3-1 at the time and Wayne rocked him with two quick shots to the head and down he went. Toronto went on to win 5-4. I watched the game and he changed the momentum...heck Auston Matthews was shoving guys after Simmer stepped up. He even thanked Chariat for fighting him! We Flyer fans know all about that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

In fairness the Leafs didn't bring in Simmonds to score. They have plenty of guys to do that. They wanted his toughness. They didn't have that. Not much, anyway.

Gotta hand it to him too, his first game as a Leaf he goes 6'3" 235 lb Ben Chariat. Leafs were down 3-1 at the time and Wayne rocked him with two quick shots to the head and down he went. Toronto went on to win 5-4. I watched the game and he changed the momentum...heck Auston Matthews was shoving guys after Simmer stepped up. He even thanked Chariat for fighting him! We Flyer fans know all about that.

Christ, it makes me want to fight Simmer right fukcin' now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They have plenty of guys to do that.

Really as he sits tied for 4th on the team with 2 goals.

In fairness

WGAF about that it's WOW.

REPORTED!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really as he sits tied for 4th on the team with 2 goals.

C'mon, Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander...they don't need scoring.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

WGAF about that it's WOW.

In fairness to Simmonds, not WoW.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

See you don't even need Myers....yall are Cup bound!!!

If the Leafs only have to face the other Canadian teams for the first two rounds of the playoffs, this could be a historic year for Leafs fans. 

No Washington.

No Boston.

No Columbus.

There's a legit chance this team sees the second round of the playoffs. That would be a monumental feat for this franchise and I'm guessing a parade would be in order.

A conference final appearance is also possible..... and that would mean statues for everyone.  :) 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:04 AM, flyercanuck said:

:skeptic:

If it's Holl you're trading, you're getting Braun, not Myers. Keep him.

You might find this article intriguing:  :) 

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-holl-top-pairing-defenceman/

Playing over 21 minutes a night, Holl has cemented himself as a key cog on the Maple Leafs’ defence, putting up some outstanding numbers along the way without much fanfare. Let’s dig into the 28-year-old’s impressive start to the season and try to figure out if this is just a flash in the pan or if he truly is the real deal.

Holl Has Been One of the NHL’s Best Defencemen in 2021

What if I told you that Holl has been the Maple Leafs’ best defencemen through eight games this season? On a blue line with stars like Morgan Rielly, Jake Muzzin, and Brodie, that sounds pretty absurd. Now, what if I said that he’s been one of the best defencemen in the entire league? You’d probably assume I’m crazy. Well, I might be crazy after 2020, but I believe I can make a pretty good case for Holl’s standing as an elite defenceman so far this season.

Justin Holl, Key 5v5 Stats, 2021 Justin Holl, Key 5v5 Stats, 2021. Stats from naturalstattrick.com

Simply put, Holl has been dominant in every facet of the game for the Leafs — his four points put him in elite company among defencemen league wide, while he’s also been able to tilt the ice in his team’s favour by shot attempts (CF%), expected goals (xGF%), and actual goals (GF%). Put another way, the Maple Leafs have outshot the opposition 73-39 and outscored them 7-3 at 5-on-5 with Holl on the ice this season. He’s done all of this while matching against tough competition such as Edmonton Oilers’ star Leon Draisaitl, who he completely shut down in the Leafs’ 4-2 win last Friday.

It’s primarily Holl’s outstanding defence that has allowed him to succeed this year as he simply hasn’t allowed opposing forwards to attack the net when he’s on the ice. He’ll never be the flashiest or most talented player with the puck, but his 6-foot-4 frame coupled with above-average skating and good instincts makes him an effective defender and puck mover.

Related: Kraken Expansion Draft Targets on Maple Leafs Roster

Of course, there will be counterarguments and non-believers. The common belief last season was that Holl only kept his head above water because he was paired next to the steady Muzzin. While that may have sounded like a good argument last season — we’ll look into that in a moment — that’s certainly not the case this season. In fact, it appears that the opposite is happening.

When Muzzin and Holl play together, the pairing is at about 62% Corsi for (CF), 67% Expected Goals For (xGF), and 62% Goals For (GF), making them one of the most dominant defensive duos in the NHL.

34 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

You might find this article intriguing:  :) 

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-holl-top-pairing-defenceman/

Playing over 21 minutes a night, Holl has cemented himself as a key cog on the Maple Leafs’ defence, putting up some outstanding numbers along the way without much fanfare. Let’s dig into the 28-year-old’s impressive start to the season and try to figure out if this is just a flash in the pan or if he truly is the real deal.

Holl Has Been One of the NHL’s Best Defencemen in 2021

What if I told you that Holl has been the Maple Leafs’ best defencemen through eight games this season? On a blue line with stars like Morgan Rielly, Jake Muzzin, and Brodie, that sounds pretty absurd. Now, what if I said that he’s been one of the best defencemen in the entire league? You’d probably assume I’m crazy. Well, I might be crazy after 2020, but I believe I can make a pretty good case for Holl’s standing as an elite defenceman so far this season.

Justin Holl, Key 5v5 Stats, 2021 Justin Holl, Key 5v5 Stats, 2021. Stats from naturalstattrick.com

Simply put, Holl has been dominant in every facet of the game for the Leafs — his four points put him in elite company among defencemen league wide, while he’s also been able to tilt the ice in his team’s favour by shot attempts (CF%), expected goals (xGF%), and actual goals (GF%). Put another way, the Maple Leafs have outshot the opposition 73-39 and outscored them 7-3 at 5-on-5 with Holl on the ice this season. He’s done all of this while matching against tough competition such as Edmonton Oilers’ star Leon Draisaitl, who he completely shut down in the Leafs’ 4-2 win last Friday.

It’s primarily Holl’s outstanding defence that has allowed him to succeed this year as he simply hasn’t allowed opposing forwards to attack the net when he’s on the ice. He’ll never be the flashiest or most talented player with the puck, but his 6-foot-4 frame coupled with above-average skating and good instincts makes him an effective defender and puck mover.

Related: Kraken Expansion Draft Targets on Maple Leafs Roster

Of course, there will be counterarguments and non-believers. The common belief last season was that Holl only kept his head above water because he was paired next to the steady Muzzin. While that may have sounded like a good argument last season — we’ll look into that in a moment — that’s certainly not the case this season. In fact, it appears that the opposite is happening.

When Muzzin and Holl play together, the pairing is at about 62% Corsi for (CF), 67% Expected Goals For (xGF), and 62% Goals For (GF), making them one of the most dominant defensive duos in the NHL.

Great, the 28 year old has put together an epic 9 game career.

Like I said, you aren't getting Myers for anything but an overpayment. 

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Great, the 28 year old has put together an epic 9 game career.

Like I said, you aren't getting Myers for anything but an overpayment. 

Basically, Justin Holl has become the Phil Myers of the Toronto Maple Leafs. 

Look at their careers:  Holl had 18 pts in 68 GP, was +13, and played 18:31 ATOI last season. Very similar numbers to Myers, given Toronto finished way lower in the standings.

In fact, if these two teams were to do a trade, that's exactly what Myers trade value would be: Holl for Myers 1-to-1 would be a fairly even trade. (The age difference tilts it in Myers favour of course.)

Of course, if Toronto had both that would round out the TOP-4 nicely. Having Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, and Myers would give the Leafs the right blend of size, toughness, and scoring from the blueline. Holl and Myers could be called the Two Towers line lol.  (A LOTR reference.)  :)

The last time Simmonds had scored a goal in three consecutive games was with the Flyers in December 2017.

Simmonds scored his third marker of the 2020-21 season in the third period of the Maple Leafs' 4-3 win Thursday night over the Oilers.

Trade him now his value will never be higher!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Basically, Justin Holl has become the Phil Myers of the Toronto Maple Leafs. 

Look at their careers:  Holl had 18 pts in 68 GP, was +13, and played 18:31 ATOI last season. Very similar numbers to Myers, given Toronto finished way lower in the standings.

Well sure, other than the fact 5 years ago, when Holl was Myers age,  he was playing for the Marlies. 

In fact, if these two teams were to do a trade, that's exactly what Myers trade value would be: Holl for Myers 1-to-1 would be a fairly even trade. (The age difference tilts it in Myers favour of course.)

No, it isn't. 

Of course, if Toronto had both that would round out the TOP-4 nicely. Having Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, and Myers would give the Leafs the right blend of size, toughness, and scoring from the blueline. Holl and Myers could be called the Two Towers line lol.  (A LOTR reference.)  :)

Sure. Or we could just keep him playing with Sanheim who's 6'3" and call them the Two Towers, which we already do.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well sure, other than the fact 5 years ago, when Holl was Myers age,  he was playing for the Marlies. 

That's why I mentioned the age diff.  :) 

Although for a defenceman, Holl is really just entering his prime years now. The "growing pains" stage should be over at this point. 

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure. Or we could just keep him playing with Sanheim who's 6'3" and call them the Two Towers, which we already do.

:notfair: