Sens waive Coburn

Samifan

While some of the criticism leveled at Coburn is warranted, he is a classic example of a defenseman that you simply cannot ask to do a whole lot.
On Atlanta and Philadelphia, at the time, the defensive core was virtually non existent....and Coburn was pressed to play above his skill grade.

On the Lightning, he was easily sheltered by a much more solid defense and a potent offense up front....he thrived because all he had to do was NOT mess up the basics.

On the Sens, he once again is pressed to do more than he is able to at the NHL level.

Fact is, especially at this point in his career, Coburn isn't going to be a difference maker for many teams.
For a deep team, he makes a fine 3rd pair or extra defenseman as he IS a "good soldier" type player.

On a rebuilding team like Ottawa, his flaws are magnified tenfold and is just about useless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

While some of the criticism leveled at Coburn is warranted, he is a classic example of a defenseman that you simply cannot ask to do a whole lot.
On Atlanta and Philadelphia, at the time, the defensive core was virtually non existent....and Coburn was pressed to play above his skill grade.

On the Lightning, he was easily sheltered by a much more solid defense and a potent offense up front....he thrived because all he had to do was NOT mess up the basics.

On the Sens, he once again is pressed to do more than he is able to at the NHL level.

Fact is, especially at this point in his career, Coburn isn't going to be a difference maker for many teams.
For a deep team, he makes a fine 3rd pair or extra defenseman as he IS a "good soldier" type player.

On a rebuilding team like Ottawa, his flaws are magnified tenfold and is just about useless.

Yeah, but I'm talking about how he was drafted 8th overall! 

In fairness to Coburn Dion Phaneuf went 9th, so....the Flyers took Frosted Tips 11th

41 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, but I'm talking about how he was drafted 8th overall! 

In fairness to Coburn Dion Phaneuf went 9th, so....the Flyers took Frosted Tips 11th

Yea, I know.
The ol "but he was drafted high so he is SUPPOSED to be good!" thing.

While in many cases, it is on the player to fill in to what is expected, there are also quite a few times when scouts, media, whomever...simply misjudged, mis-scouted, or just downright OVERRATED a young player, and drafted him well above where he should have been.

Then that player has to live with the yoke of expectations when all he can be is what he actually is.
Not giving a pass to lazy players mind you.
But I don't think a player like Coburn could ever be accused of being lazy.

He just is what he is....and that is, a high level AHL type defender and a low pairing/low workload NHL defenseman who doesn't have the best hockey IQ and probably should have been drafted no sooner than the 5th round or so.

Right off the top of my head, Mikko Koivu, formerly of the Minnesota Wild and now with the Blue Jackets, comes to mind as another player who was drafted way above where he should have, got PAID like a high level, high skill NHL top liner, but his performance was more elite bottom sixer....but all he could do was play to the best of his abilities in roles he probably should not have been put in.
Your mention of Phaneuf is another good example.

I'm sure you and others can come up with more players that were drafted like top liners or top defenseman only to prove to be serviceable to good players, but FAR from the elite talents the scouts or media initially made them out to be.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

They could start by icing a team that has at least 3 lines of NHL caliber players and 5 NHL caliber Dmen.

Woah slow down there Mr Moneybags, the sens are a proud $12m below the cap and that's the way they likes it

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Poor guy has never been the same since taking that stick to the eye vs the Pens.

I hope you're not suggesting his vision was elite or decent even before that? But yeah, that injury did appear to change him.

Angry Coburn was a pretty damn good player. Unfortunately we didn't get to see him enough. 

I can't see anyone knocking him on the Flyers. We got him for 34 year old Alexei Zhitnik. Big deal. We got NINE seasons out of Coburn, then traded him for Gudas and draft picks. We got 4 seasons out of Gudas. Then traded him for Niskanen. And the draft picks basically ended up being Travis Konecny. I personally have no ill will toward the guy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Didn’t he usually do a good job against Frankenmalkin or was that just Bundy?

Yes, he did.

I think some of the stuff about Coburn is recency bias.  He was good when we got him and the trade that brought him was a heist.    The knock is that "a big guy should hit."  The guy couldn't get a hit at a Dead concert.  But when he was younger he was positionally sound and a good pairing for Timmo.

He's lost a step or twelve and still has as many hits recently as Milli Vanilli.  Not a good combination.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The guy couldn't get a hit at a Dead concert. 

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's lost a step or twelve and still has as many hits recently as Milli Vanilli.  Not a good combination.

Lol 😂 

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I hope you're not suggesting his vision was elite or decent even before that?

No. His vision was solid especially with Kimmo there to cover his ass.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone!!!