Matthews on Pace for back-to-back 50+ Goal (proj) Seasons!

WordsOfWisdom

With 56 games available total, Matthews currently has a whopping 8 goals in 10 GP. 

He's currently on pace for 46 GOALS in this covid shortened season, which means that over a NORMAL 82-game season, that's an unbelievable 66 goals... a mark that would smash every franchise record in Leafs history.

IF Matthews sustains his current monstrous pace for THIS season, then after 56 games I'll not only credit him with back-to-back 50-goal projected seasons, and credit him for his first projected 60-goal season, but I'll place him at #1 as the greatest Leafs goal scorer in history, better than any other player from ANY OTHER ERA who has EVER worn the blue and white, even for as little as ONE season.  Matthews is about to leapfrog Leafs greats like Clark, Andreychuk, Vaive, Mogilny, Sundin, Mahovlich, anyone you can possibly name. (That includes names like Ron Francis and Eric Lindros too, who both had a cup of coffee in Leafs land, as well as Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk, etc.) Matthews is poised to leave all of them in the rearview mirror.

Now the only question is, how high can he go? He's on the verge of leaving Leafs-land records far behind. After that we start to get into the Ovechkin, Hull, Bure, Jagr -eske goal scoring territory.  Pretty incredible stuff if he can achieve those levels.  :) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

56 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm on pace to drink 400 beers today.

Scoring at nearly a goal per game pace is probably unsustainable, I get it.  What I'm looking at is the continued growth and development of Matthews. He's playing even better than he did last season, and last season was his best season. That means we haven't yet seen what the ceiling is on this guy.  :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Scoring at nearly a goal per game pace is probably unsustainable, I get it.  What I'm looking at is the continued growth and development of Matthews. He's playing even better than he did last season, and last season was his best season. That means we haven't yet seen what the ceiling is on this guy.  :) 

Why are you fishing for compliments or positive compliments for Matthews.  Even before he was drafted he was being touted as a generational talent similar to McDavid.  Did you not read the reports.  Anyone who seriously follows hockey knew what the potential ceiling for Matthews is going to be ...... 

"Matthews has the potential to become a franchise player for whichever team picking him up. He brings all the tools to the table which are needed to become a generational talent. I often heard comparisons to Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Toews and John Tavares which are all valid, but actually I do also see a lot of Pittsburgh’s number 87 in him (Crosby). All of those comparisons indicate you how good Matthews is. He also shows leadership skills and the right mindset to become a future captain one day. All-in-all, a generational talent who has the potential to develop into a top flight franchise center. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)"

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/199898/auston-matthews

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/6/2/11811310/auston-matthews-highlights-draft-profile-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-prospects

He’s a generational, franchise-changing prospect who nearly hit the 200-pound benchmark right around the time he turned 16. But size and strength do not define what Matthews brings to the ice every night. He is a ridiculous playmaker and puck possessor, shifting and twirling around defenders who at times will both be within inches of the puck. Matthews’ decision making is off the charts; he can be used in different scenarios, but he’s at his best when he’s picking apart small gaps in passing and/or skating lanes below the opposing blue line. He’s also a no-nonsense shooter with a quick release, but not at the risk of wasting a better opportunity. Matthews will hold onto the puck for an eternity, but in his case, it’s a good thing thanks to exceptional balance, footwork and stickhandling. Clearly the best forward prospect among his draft-eligible peers, and is so for many reasons.

-Steve Kournianos, thedraftanalyst.com

Matthews has the potential to become a franchise player for whichever team picking him up. He brings all the tools to the table which are needed to become a generational talent. I often heard comparisons to Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Toews and John Tavares which are all valid, but actually I do also see a lot of Pittsburgh’s number 87 in him. All of those comparisons indicate you how good Matthews is. He also shows leadership skills and the right mindset to become a future captain one day.

https://thehockeywriters.com/auston-matthews-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Franchise two-way power centerman with point-per-game upside

https://dobberprospects.com/2017/04/26/auston-matthews/

McDavid / Matthews / Drasaitl  (barring injury) will all be in the same conversation with Lemieux / Crosby / Gretzky someday

45 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Why are you fishing for compliments or positive compliments for Matthews.  Even before he was drafted he was being touted as a generational talent similar to McDavid.  Did you not read the reports.  Anyone who seriously follows hockey knew what the potential ceiling for Matthews is going to be ...... 

Yes but reports about what someone might be is different from seeing them actually realize it.

(Especially in Toronto.)  :) 

Plus, being a "franchise player" just means you're the best player on your team. It doesn't mean you're the second coming of Sidney Crosby. A lot of players get tagged with the "franchise player" label prior to the draft who turn out to be nothing special. 

45 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

McDavid / Matthews / Drasaitl  (barring injury) will all be in the same conversation with Lemieux / Crosby / Gretzky someday

Then that would be a first for Toronto. That's all I'm saying. Toronto has never had THAT guy before.  THAT guy has resided in only the following places:

• Pittsburgh
  • LA
  • Detroit
  • Edmonton
  • Montreal
  • Boston
  • Washington
  • St. Louis

:) 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yes but reports about what someone might be is different from seeing them actually realize it.

(Especially in Toronto.)  :) 

Plus, being a "franchise player" just means you're the best player on your team. It doesn't mean you're the second coming of Sidney Crosby. A lot of players get tagged with the "franchise player" label prior to the draft who turn out to be nothing special. 

Then that would be a first for Toronto. That's all I'm saying. Toronto has never had THAT guy before.  THAT guy has resided in only the following places:

• Pittsburgh
  • LA
  • Detroit
  • Edmonton
  • Montreal
  • Boston
  • Washington
  • St. Louis

:) 

And the Leafs tanked to get him.

Bravo! I can see where the pride comes from. 

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

And the Leafs tanked to get him.

Yes they finally stopped trying to finish 9th and followed the same path every other champion did in their rebuilds.   :)

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Bravo! I can see where the pride comes from. 

I sense an unusual amount of "crustiness" among Flyers fans. You're probably not accustomed to Leafs fans having something to cheer for I guess. Well, better get used to it! It's a different era in Leafs-land. 🥰

How should they have rebuilt?  You're telling me if the Flyers had tanked and got a #1 pick, you would be unhappy?  (Who am I kidding? Flyers fans are always unhappy lol!)

If the "tank and rebuild" model worked for Pittsburgh (Crosby), Washington (Ovechkin), Chicago (Toews, Kane), and everyone else.... Toronto would have been foolish not to do the same. Those are the rules in the NHL. The draft is made that way. The smart teams figure it out and take advantage of it. 

26 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Like, have you not met Flyer fans before? We booed Santa for chrissake, what do you expect?

I think my favorite ever has to be the time Bill Burr told off the Philly Audience for his entire set after they booed him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I think my favorite ever has to be the time Bill Burr told off the Philly Audience for his entire set after they booed him.

Was that the one where he gave them sh|t because they would rather cheer for a fictional white boxer from Philly than an actual historically great (Joe Frazier) black boxer from Philly?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

So, projected that's like 144 goals or something right? Sorry, my math is sh!t, but I think I 'm close. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that the NHL is going to do something "****-ish" and give out player awards for every division. They'll make some lame excuse that things weren't "fair" because of divisional imbalances (since the Art Ross, Hart, and Rocket Richard trophy are all likely going to the North division). Just watch. Matthews will win his first Rocket Richard trophy and it'll be tainted by the fact that the league will award 3 other winners for the same trophy, just to diminish the accomplishment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Auston Matthews is playing at a whole new level this season. He's playing the game as if it were an EA Sports video game right now.  :ok:

NHL Miscellaneous

Per Game Adjusted Plus/Minus Point Shares Shootouts Possession Quality
Season Age Tm Lg GP GC G A PTS GC PIM S G A PTS GC TGF PGF TGA PGA +/- OPS DPS PS Att. Made Miss Pct. xGF xGA E+/-
Career   5 yrs NHL 298 130 0.58 0.45 1.03 0.44 0.16 3.60 243 170 413 179 404 117 246 0 44 34.2 6.9 41.0 22 7 15 31.8 240.0 198.8 41.1
2016-17 19 TOR NHL 82 30 0.49 0.35 0.84 0.36 0.17 3.40 44 32 76 33 86 30 55 0 2 8.2 1.5 9.7 8 2 6 25.0 58.1 51.8 6.2
2017-18 20 TOR NHL 62 27 0.55 0.47 1.02 0.43 0.19 3.02 35 29 64 27 83 16 43 0 25 7.0 2.1 9.0 6 3 3 50.0 52.2 43.5 8.7
2018-19 21 TOR NHL 68 30 0.54 0.53 1.07 0.44 0.18 3.69 37 36 73 30 92 27 74 0 -9 7.6 0.7 8.3 2 1 1 50.0 55.8 49.7 6.1
2019-20 22 TOR NHL 70 35 0.67 0.47 1.14 0.49 0.11 4.14 56 39 95 41 113 35 60 0 19 8.9 2.0 10.8 6 1 5 16.7 64.7 49.2 15.5
2020-21 23 TOR NHL 16 9 0.88 0.44 1.31 0.58 0.13 4.19 71 34 105 48 30 9 14 0 7 2.6 0.6 3.2         9.2 4.6 4.6

Under the adjusted stats you can see Matthews' 56 goals he was on track for last season. This season it's currently 71.  Those are unheard of numbers. Just imagine Matthews name being on the list below beside Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri.  

Best Single Season Totals for Goals

Rank Player G Season
1. Wayne Gretzky* 92 1981-82
2. Wayne Gretzky* 87 1983-84
3. Brett Hull* 86 1990-91
4. Mario Lemieux* 85 1988-89
5. Phil Esposito* 76 1970-71
  Alexander Mogilny 76 1992-93
  Teemu Selanne* 76 1992-93
8. Wayne Gretzky* 73 1984-85
9. Brett Hull* 72 1989-90
10. Wayne Gretzky* 71 1982-83
  Jari Kurri* 71

1984-85

12. Mario Lemieux* 70 1987-88
  Bernie Nicholls 70 1988-89
  Brett Hull* 70 1991-92
15. Mike Bossy* 69 1978-79
  Mario Lemieux* 69 1992-93
  Mario Lemieux* 69 1995-96
18. Phil Esposito* 68 1973-74
  Mike Bossy* 68 1980-81
  Jari Kurri* 68 1985-86
21. Phil Esposito* 66 1971-72
  Lanny McDonald* 66 1982-83
23. Steve Yzerman* 65 1988-89
  Alex Ovechkin 65 2007-08
25. Mike Bossy* 64 1981-8

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the NHL is going to do something "****-ish" and give out player awards for every division. They'll make some lame excuse that things weren't "fair" because of divisional imbalances (since the Art Ross, Hart, and Rocket Richard trophy are all likely going to the North division). Just watch. Matthews will win his first Rocket Richard trophy and it'll be tainted by the fact that the league will award 3 other winners for the same trophy, just to diminish the accomplishment. 

It'll be tainted because the division he's in is a joke. Matthews is a very good player. But until he does something without an asterisk beside it (*played in a division with 3 actual NHL teams....*prorated 50 goal season with 27 of them against Ottawa who won 2 games...*scored with a caterpillar on his upper lip that threw goalies off when he was shooting)

It's like when the Leafs finally get out of the first round in almost 20 years...only because the team they beat wouldn't be in the playoffs in any other division. :thumbsu:

I think Matthews is capable of scoring 50 goals against real NHL talent. I just actually want to see him do it. Not hypothetically.

Edited by flyercanuck

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It'll be tainted because the division he's in is a joke.

I think it's safe to say that under normal circumstances, Toronto, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Montreal make the playoffs. They're all "bubble playoff teams". They've all been making the playoffs recently. (Montreal might be the only one out.) The only thing missing from the North is one of the elite teams. There's no Boston or Tampa for example. 

It's like when the Leafs finally get out of the first round in almost 20 years...only because the team they beat wouldn't be in the playoffs in any other division. 

True, but it's also a fact that the Leafs have been running into the #1 team in the playoffs in the first round every year, and that's not what the first round of the playoffs is supposed to be about. If not for covid screwing up last season, the Leafs were on a collision course with Tampa in the first round, the eventual Cup champions! I mean you can't script that. The Leafs face Tampa, Boston, and Washington every time they hit the playoffs, all President's trophy level teams. 

This time the Leafs will actually face a team in the first round of the playoffs that isn't a Stanley Cup champion. They'll actually face a "first round level" team in the first round, and the playoffs will gradually increase in difficulty as they go on.

Long story short, if the Leafs get past the first round, you could technically put an asterisk there, but I'd put an asterisk for all the seasons the Leafs ran into a Cup champion or Cup finalist in the first round... because running into the eventual Cup champion in round 1, pushing them to 7 games and being eliminated in round 1, is not indicative of how good your team is.  :) 

scored with a caterpillar on his upper lip that threw goalies off

lol 🤣

You just watch. Every player will copy Matthews now and they'll all have one.

I think Matthews is capable of scoring 50 goals against real NHL talent. I just actually want to see him do it. Not hypothetically.

I want to see him do it too.... but with the increasing craziness of our world today, the idea of playing 82 game uninterrupted seasons may be a thing of the past. This may be how things go from now on. From one lockout or pandemic directly into the next.

I look at it like hockey from the era when teams only played 50 games or whatever. We need to rethink those milestones or we need to just start normalizing all the data so everyone is on a level playing field. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

He's currently on pace for 46 GOALS in this covid shortened season, which means that over a NORMAL 82-game season, that's an unbelievable 66 goals... a mark that would smash every franchise record in Leafs history.

So what you're saying is that he didn't have back to back 50-goal seasons.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

So what you're saying is that he didn't have back to back 50-goal seasons.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Only one 50-goal season so far. (Last season he finished with 55.)

We have to wait until he hits 35 goals this season for it to be back-to-back.  😃👍

Edited by WordsOfWisdom