Is it Claude Giroux?

fan4ever

Just sitting here wondering if maybe our captain is the problem? Don't get me wrong, I've been a Giroux fan and even have a jersey!  

Is it the players, they've been changed up somewhat.  Is it the coaching, they've been changed completely.  

Is it the captain?  We've been yoyoing since he became captain, up year, down year, etc.  Maybe he isn't the leader we need right now.

I don't know???? 🙁

54 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Just sitting here wondering if maybe our captain is the problem? Don't get me wrong, I've been a Giroux fan and even have a jersey!  

Is it the players, they've been changed up somewhat.  Is it the coaching, they've been changed completely.  

Is it the captain?  We've been yoyoing since he became captain, up year, down year, etc.  Maybe he isn't the leader we need right now.

I don't know???? 🙁

Oh man you have slapped the hornets nest with the ol proverbial stick.

I plead the 5th.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@fan4ever

Also, please consider the teams he was captain of during the "yoyoing".

This is the 2nd or 3rd year where the team could be considered "good". 

He broke into the league on a strong team that was dismantled by Homer. There were, what? 2 more years after the Richards and Carter trades where the team was deep and pretty good? Then we were talked into Boyd Gordon and Dale Weisse. 

Most of the last 10 years they were a bubble team at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fan4ever said:

I don't know???? 🙁

agree with @OccamsRazor ...do you really want to go down this rabbit hole???

3 hours ago, fan4ever said:

I don't know???? 🙁

here.png.56a010248206fc948004484b5aaa027e.png

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, fan4ever said:

I don't know???? 🙁

Giroux is the problem on both the Flyers AND the Eagles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

17 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

here.png.56a010248206fc948004484b5aaa027e.png

I'm not a big fan of jumping the ship normally, but the current standings are unfortunately very misleading with regards to the Flyers. As someone who has watched all but one game so far this season, I can say without doubt they have gotten absurdly lucky and should not have the record they have. They have been getting outplayed by a significant margin in virtually all games this year.

Could they perk up and figure things out? Yeah for sure, and I definitely hope they do! As it stands, it's really only a matter of time before they drop like a rock down that list. They just won't be able to rely on luck for 50 whatever games -- even less so in the playoffs.

Now, I don't think this is Giroux' fault any more than it's any other one player's fault on any team ever. That's just giving way too much credit to one guy in a team-based sport.

I guess I shouldn't say ever... I'm sure there are plenty of examples where a team was completely derailed by a single player. But yeah, Giroux isn't that.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

28 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm not a big fan of jumping the ship normally, but the current standings are unfortunately very misleading with regards to the Flyers. As someone who has watched all but one game so far this season, I can say without doubt they have gotten absurdly lucky and should not have the record they have. They have been getting outplayed by a significant margin in virtually all games this year.

But look on the bright side, nobody else has played any better other than the Bruins.  Your division is basically the Bruins, and then everyone else. Be happy that you banked all those points. It means if your team really does start playing well, you'll really take off. (Which is better than trying to fight your way up the standings from the bottom.)

• Like 2

@CoachX

Some of the issue is the contract structure IMO.

When he signed it, maybe he was overpaid? but not by much according to the comparable contracts of top players in the league. It was an 8 year deal and that is the problem. We're now in year 7 and the player has declined. 

I think he has by-and-large lived up to the contract for 5 of those years, he's having a good year this year. Had a year where he had that abdominal core surgery that really affected his play. 
I do understand the frustration with the situation of that much money tied up in a player that isn't a top guy in the league.

He's never been a captain until the NHL and I think that has some bearing on how he handles that responsibility.  There's a difference between being an XO and CO. So it is not unreasonable that he doesn't approach the situation the same way a guy who has always been the captain approaches it.

I do think when his contact is up he should transition to a lesser role regarding the leadership group. And I hope the young guys are pushing him down the line up because they are much improved on the ice.

My first choice would be for Provorov to be the next captain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

But look on the bright side, nobody else has played any better other than the Bruins.

I would love if that were true, but it really isn't. Pittsburgh outplayed us, and we just got lucky. Buffalo (!) outplayed us, and we got lucky. The Isles outplayed us, and we got lucky. Our games against NJ were pretty evenly matched as I remember them, and I do think we've actually played reasonably well against Boston (despite all the losses against them). 

A more accurate statement would be that we have more wins than those other teams. We haven't been playing better than them; at least, we really haven't in the games we've had against them. Put another way, based on how we've played so far, I feel like we'd get bounced in a seven game series by pretty much anyone. That's just not a good feeling to have. 

Again, can they turn this around? Sure, i hope they do! And thankfully they've gotten filthy luck to start the season. As you pointed out, if they do eventually find a way to do more than just get lucky, they won't be too far behind or anything and fighting their way up.

There is hope, but they really need to start actually winning of their own accord without relying on so much luck.

6 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I feel like we'd get bounced in a seven game series by pretty much anyone. That's just not a good feeling to have. 

(The thoughts of every Leafs fan ever.)  😮

Although I like our chances this year. You guys are in the toughest division of them all. A murderer's row of killer teams. 

• Like 2

Yes the Flyers are very lucky to have the record they do, esp with the shot diff. they've had BUT

...I'd like to also throw out there, a large part of that luck is having a good goalie and the benefit that comes with that....FINALLY and, get used to  it. 😎

and in many years past, they've played well and started the season with crappy records...I'll take the luck and crappy play for the good record...then when their luck runs out, they'll be better gelled :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Edited by Cheesesteak
speeling
  • Like 2

Much like Giroux,  this club isn't as bad as some people think they are,  but they aren't as good as we're being lead to believe.

The Islanders exposed the Flyers team play in the playoffs and other teams have adjusted. While the club has been lucky and pulled out wins in numerous great efforts from various individuals, what's scary is that coaching staff has failed to adjust their game plan.  They're trying to turn a puck carrying and possession team into a dump and chase team and they refuse to embrace the possession game. I don't get why the Flyers franchise always goes these old dinosaurs or incompetent boobs that have no idea on how to embrace this style of game. 

On top of it  they've all but killed the confidence of Travis Konecny by making an example out of him for no reason.  Was he playing bad? Well he certainly wasn't playing great, but there were far worse players on the club than him. And notice how the captain didn't go to bat for Travis, that he basically left him to fends for himself? The lack of accountability from the veterans also plays a huge role in the team's performance. 

It's the same old, same old gig on right now....

2 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

On top of it  they've all but killed the confidence of Travis Konecny by making an example out of him for no reason.  Was he playing bad? Well he certainly wasn't playing great, but there were far worse players on the club than him

Yep they Cason Wentz him now might as well trade him too...

On 2/7/2021 at 9:16 AM, mojo1917 said:

My first choice would be for Provorov to be the next captain

I think its too soon. We need to learn from Richards and Giroux, that promoting a young guy who's a budding star,  is a kisa of death 

Coots? Yes

Hayes? This would be my choice.....next to Laughton 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I think its too soon. We need to learn from Richards and Giroux, that promoting a young guy who's a budding star,  is a kisa of death 

Coots? Yes

Hayes? This would be my choice.....next to Laughton 🤣

Coots is my choice. He digs in, plays hard every shift and knows how to defend. The same cannot be said for our current captain, and other forwards on the team. Too soon for Provy, though he is undoubtedly the next one.

• Like 2