What is Wrong with Frederik Andersen?

WordsOfWisdom

Okay so I've waited 16 games longer than Flyers fans would have on this topic, but my limit has now been reached.   😔

Andersen needs to make a SAVE for this team, at least once in a while, and especially when the team is up 5-1 going into the 3rd period. This is insane. He hasn't been himself for two years now and I'm not sure what's wrong.  .806 sv% tonight against Ottawa.  .909% on the season coming into tonight. He's a full 10 points lower than normal and at risk of losing his spot to Campbell.

• Good Post 1

30 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Okay so I've waited 16 games longer than Flyers fans would have on this topic, but my limit has now been reached.   😔

16 games in we are usually on crisis 6 or 7 by then. 

pick up the pace sir 😀

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Andersen needs to make a SAVE for this team, at least once in a while, and especially when the team is up 5-1 going into the 3rd period. This is insane. He hasn't been himself for two years now and I'm not sure what's wrong.  .806 sv% tonight against Ottawa.  .909% on the season coming into tonight. He's a full 10 points lower than normal and at risk of losing his spot to Campbell.

Hmm...I might need to watch more Leaf games then.
I was under the impression Freddy Andersen was still a top goalie. I have always credited him for helping the Leafs stay in games when they didn't have their best defense going.....which as you know, has been often.

Obviously tonight was just a complete debacl for him and the Leafs.
A disaster.
A serious implosion.
Chernobyl.
Hiroshima.

You get the idea.
But is this who he really is?

You watch more Leafs than I do. I catch the occasional game.
Whenever I've seen Andersen he is just doing his thing in there....and I STILL find myself saying things like, "Man, if it weren't for Andersen, the Leafs would be down by 3 right now!"

In fact, I was thinking just today, that with Andersen on the last year of his contract, being still only 31, that he might be in line for another bump in a payday with a new contract.
Not so sure the Leafs can give him that, unless they trade a forward to free up some space.

I was also thinking some other team that may be ready to contend now, with cap space, who currently have things in place EXCEPT a go-to goalie, could use his services.
Colorado or Carolina as examples.

But anyways, yea, I will keep a closer eye on Andersen to see if he really is declining.
I don't think so, but I probably don't watch enough games to make a sure diagnosis on him.

And while I know Leaf fans know, I sometimes wonder, as it happens with Bolts fans, if a dumpster fire type game like tonight's taints the viewpoints of the diehards.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The first 20 games Every single year.

Andersen owners panic in fantasy because his gaa and sv% suck

Without fail.

I have owned him the past 3 years either in All Star or Conn Smythe .... I've learned to roll with the punches ......

3 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The first 20 games Every single year.

Andersen owners panic in fantasy because his gaa and sv% suck

Without fail.

Well it's only a 56 game season!  Suckage for 20 games = Suckage for more than 1/3 of it.  😱  

The Leafs aren't good defensively, but when Andersen plays well they can manage. This season he hasn't been reliable at all, and last season wasn't impressive either.  :( 

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...I might need to watch more Leaf games then.
I was under the impression Freddy Andersen was still a top goalie. I have always credited him for helping the Leafs stay in games when they didn't have their best defense going.....which as you know, has been often.

It's basically a two-season long decline. He hasn't been right since the last full NHL season. Normally he's up around a .918 sv%, but if you look at this season and last season he's trending downward (and fast). 

Goalie Stats     Scoring  
Season Age Tm Lg GP GS W L T/O GA SA SV SV% GAA SO MIN QS QS% RBS GA%- GSAA adjGAA GPS G A PTS PIM Awards
2013-14 24 ANA NHL 28 24 20 5 0 60 783 723 .923 2.29 0 1569 12 .500 0 89 7.5 2.68 5.6 0 1 1 0 AR-1,Calder-9
2014-15 25 ANA NHL 54 53 35 12 5 123 1436 1313 .914 2.38 3 3106 32 .604 9 100 -0.4 2.82 8.6 0 3 3 4  
2015-16 26 ANA NHL 43 37 22 9 7 88 1086 998 .919 2.30 3 2298 24 .649 5 95 4.5 2.74 7.0 0 1 1 2 Jennings-1
2016-17 27 TOR NHL 66 66 33 16 14 169 2052 1883 .918 2.67 4 3799 38 .576 11 95 8.6 3.10 13.1 0 1 1 16  
2017-18 28 TOR NHL 66 66 38 21 5 182 2211 2029 .918 2.81 5 3889 37 .561 8 94 12.1 3.02 13.6 0 1 1 2 AS-11,Vezina-4
2018-19 29 TOR NHL 60 60 36 16 7 162 1958 1796 .917 2.77 1 3510 38 .633 7 92 14.5 2.96 12.5 0 1 1 2 AS-7,Vezina-10
2019-20 30 TOR NHL 52 52 29 13 7 143 1577 1434 .909 2.85 3 3007 27 .519 8 100 -0.4 3.03 8.9 0 0 0 0 AS-12
2020-21 31 TOR NHL 14 14 9 3 2 39 393 354 .901 2.79 0 838 6 .429 3 104 -1.7 3.01 2.2 0 1 1 0

You watch more Leafs than I do. I catch the occasional game.

You should watch ALL the Leafs games!  😃

And while I know Leaf fans know, I sometimes wonder, as it happens with Bolts fans, if a dumpster fire type game like tonight's taints the viewpoints of the diehards.

It was a dumpster fire, and the Leafs aren't going to get far unless they get themselves a REAL star defenceman on this team, but there were times where saves needed to be made to put a halt to it and it didn't happen. 

Well, I made it a point to watch a Leafs game, start to finish, with Freddy Andersen in net.
Like I've said before, whenever I've tuned in, and he plays, he has done well.
Tonight was no different.

Final performance summary:

Won game 2-1 (1.00 GAA)

Stopped 27 of 28 SOG  (.964)
Held the Senator PP to 0 for 3 on the night, so only gave up the one even strength goal.

Granted, this was the "lowly" Senators, but to Ottawa's credit, they put massive pressure on the Toronto goal, especially early on, then late in the game again.... with Andersen having to make a few big time saves in between as well.

His skaters in front of him did similar to Ottawa's Matt Murray, though obviously, the Leafs potted two, but away from the numbers, there were more than a few occasions where Leaf skaters didn't backcheck (Matthews), left gaping holes in defensive coverage (Reilly), or just flat out looked like pylons (Bogosian), and it was up to ol Freddy Andersen to bail them out.

I STILL say that if the Leafs were more complete up front and on defense, Andersen's numbers may be better than what they are.
IMO, he continues to be the reason the Leafs DO get many of their wins...and he shone even brighter in this close contest, especially after the blowup that saw the Leafs piss away the previous game.

I'd trust Andersen to backstop my team in a big game needing a win.  :) 

33 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, I made it a point to watch a Leafs game, start to finish, with Freddy Andersen in net.
Like I've said before, whenever I've tuned in, and he plays, he has done well.
Tonight was no different.

So you will be watching ALL the remaining Leafs games now won't you?  😇

Final performance summary:

Won game 2-1 (1.00 GAA)

Stopped 27 of 28 SOG  (.964)
Held the Senator PP to 0 for 3 on the night, so only gave up the one even strength goal.

That's the FIRST time he's played like that this season. First time.

I STILL say that if the Leafs were more complete up front and on defense, Andersen's numbers may be better than what they are.

Perhaps, but he's been better on the Leafs in previous seasons and that's an apples to apples comparison.  Hopefully he starts doing this more often and gets that sv% back up where it needs to be.  :) 

For teams like the Leafs that don't have good defence it's crucial that they have good goaltending. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

NOTHING.Zero wrong with Andersen, leads the league in wins, plays well enough to keep his team in the game most nights. Every now and then has a melt down.

You know who he reminds me of? Grant Fuhr. Fuhr never was among the league leaders in goals against or save pct. but that was because he team was filled with forwards who never backchecked and his defense was Coffey who was essentially a 4th forward and one guy back for the inevitable breakaways. Fuhr was always ripped on by pundits for the same things Andersen is, just leave the guy alone, get him some sort of help on the back end and he will be more than fine. There are probably 24-25 other clubs who would love to have a problem such as him on their team.

• Good Post 1

10 hours ago, yave1964 said:

NOTHING.Zero wrong with Andersen, leads the league in wins

If I'm not mistaken, Andrew Raycroft leads the Leafs in most wins in a single season. He was traded away the very next season and vanished from the NHL shortly thereafter. Wins are a team statistic.

You know who he reminds me of? Grant Fuhr.

Oh dear. Did you really just make that comparison?  😲

Grant Fuhr played on an Oilers dynasty that won 5 Stanley Cups. (Not sure if he was there for all of them or not.)

The Leafs are not the Oilers of the 80's. You need to win at least two Stanley Cups in a row with a run-n-gun offence before you even get to be mentioned in the same sentence as the 80's Oilers. The Leafs are just barely the best team in their own division, and I don't think anyone thinks they're the best team in the NHL. They've proven nothing. They have a track record of ZERO in the playoffs. Maybe you could call them the 1978 Edmonton Oilers... or wherever the Oilers were before they won anything. 

I get the comparison/analogy you're making..... and I'm being a tad overdramatic lol...... but all I'm saying is Andersen will never get cut that kind of slack until he has some Stanley Cup rings here in Toronto. 

Andersen is, just leave the guy alone, get him some sort of help on the back end and he will be more than fine.

His save percentage has gone from .918 down to .900.  That's why I'm concerned. You can't just say it's a case of bad defence. Hopefully he rebounds and gets back to the Andersen we all know and love.  :) 

On 2/15/2021 at 11:28 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

You guys should try and swing a trade for Gibson since the rumor is he wants out of Anaheim.

Ship Frederik somewhere if he won't waive his NTC to go back to the Ducks and get Gibson. 

Edited by OccamsRazor
Just hard to watch the Flyers these days

The Minnesota Wild will send Toronto:

G-- Cam Talbot, 33, 3.6M cap hit, under contract for 2 more years after this one.
F-- Kevin Fiala, 24, 3M cap hit, RFA after this year
D--Ian Cole, 31, 3.45M cap hit, UFA after this season

For:
G-- Freddy Andersen, 31, 5M cap hit, UFA after this season

F-- Alex Kerfoot, 26, 3.5M cap hit, two years left after this one

D-- Travis Dermott, 24, 875K cap hit, RFA after this season
Toronto's 2021 2nd round pick

The Leafs get a veteran goalie in Talbot who seems to play BETTER when the team in front of him can score better (Tor > Min there).
They also get another up n coming winger in Fiala who likes to shoot the puck and seems to have found a consistent offensive game...even if his defensive game is still lacking.
They get a rental, solid, veteran defenseman who still skates well and isn't a complete liability at the blue line in Ian Cole.

Wild get what I consider an excellent goalie still in Andersen, YOUNGER than Talbot, to go along with young Kaapo Kahkonen...he may or may not want to stay in Minnesota, but THAT is what the 2nd rounder compensation is for...in case he leaves afterwards.
Alex Kerfoot would be given ample opportunity to establish himself as a top six center or forward on a team still looking for consistent lines.
Travis Dermott could make an excellent up n coming blue liner for Minnesota, improving the mobility of their defense corps as they too continue to look for consistency in pairings.

Leafs get players that are basically "win now" (or even into next season as well), while Minnesota gets players that could help shape their rebuild/retool, while adding another draft pick, giving them six picks in the first three rounds....and if Andersen likes it in Minnesota, he may stay giving the Wild a good tandem in goal with Andersen/Kahkonen.

The money seems to work as around 9-10M in cap hit will be exchanged between the two teams, with Toronto taking one about 700K more, Minnesota getting a 700K relief.
Also notice, the teams have traded a guy under contract, an RFA, and a UFA in equal quantities.

Take it or leave it!

(Disclaimer: This is NOT a real rumored trade.....just one put out there for entertainment purposes. So anyone up in arms about this, or hopeful about this...settle the &^%$ down, alright? :bigteeth: )

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Entertainment? Even the thought of losing Fiala in a trade makes my teeth chatter and hands shake in fear, while someone has implanted a bolo knife in my stomach. Ms, You have a funny idea of funny 😱

To me Andersen looks alright, but not an upgrade on how Talbot has been playing for the Wild, and how Kähkönen might end up playing for us, given some time to mature.

18 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Entertainment? Even the thought of losing Fiala in a trade makes my teeth chatter and hands shake in fear, while someone has implanted a bolo knife in my stomach. Ms, You have a funny idea of funny 😱

To me Andersen looks alright, but not an upgrade on how Talbot has been playing for the Wild, and how Kähkönen might end up playing for us, given some time to mature.

Haha...well, that's why I made the disclaimer.
Didn't want to be responsible for driving anyone to drink. :biggrin: 

In all seriousness, I think some Leaf fans are blowing Andersen's value to the team out of proportion in a negative way....and I just want to say, I really wouldn't mind him on the Wild.
I never was a fan of Cam Talbot as a starter, but again, think he would thrive under conditions where the offense can help him when he doesn't have his best "shut down" stuff on any particular evening............ the Wild play a reasonable defense in front of him, don't take nearly the amount of chances the Leafs do...but then again, don't score like they do.

All this was really predicated on the idea that Leaf fans may want Andersen replaced though.
All good fun. :)

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Agree on all points.  Contrary to what some may think, there is nothing wrong with Andersen.  Looking at his 2020-21 game log, in 15 starts, he has only given up 4 or more goals in 4 of those games. 

image.png.b6e9bcd9148087bbcd90a19f504a632f.png

The current League average for SV% = 0.907 and for the season Andersen SV% =0.905.

The current League average for  GAA = 2.97 and for the season Andersen GAA = 2.67.

Big deal he had one (1) bad game vs. OTT on 2/15.  But he is CONSISTENTLY only giving up 1 or 2 goals this season.  When a goalie does that, your team is going to win and that is what matters.  Agree with you.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with Andersen.  

21 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26 Agree on all points.  Contrary to what some may think, there is nothing wrong with Andersen.  Looking at his 2020-21 game log, in 15 starts, he has only given up 4 or more goals in 4 of those games. 

image.png.b6e9bcd9148087bbcd90a19f504a632f.png

The current League average for SV% = 0.907 and for the season Andersen SV% =0.905.

The current League average for  GAA = 2.97 and for the season Andersen GAA = 2.67.

Big deal he had one (1) bad game vs. OTT on 2/15.  But he is CONSISTENTLY only giving up 1 or 2 goals this season.  When a goalie does that, your team is going to win and that is what matters.  Agree with you.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with Andersen.  

I can see Words' point of some of his numbers slowly slipping, but IMO that is negligible at this point in time vs what he does FOR the team when he is in there.
Again, I don't watch nearly the amount of games Leaf fans do, but when I watch, Andersen is usually bailing out his skaters, keeping his team in games that they otherwise would be blown out in, or even locking down a close game.

And at age 31, I think he still has more to give at a high level.

Now, there IS a caution point here:
He has a 5M cap hit and is on the last year of his contract.
While I think he is worth perhaps a slight raise, if I am the Leafs GM (or any other GM if he does get moved somehow or is let walk as a UFA), I would be very careful about giving out some crazy 8M+ contract for like 10 years or something like that.

I think a 6-6.5M AAV for NO MORE than 4 or 5 years seems about right for him....but then, what the hell do I know about reasonable contracts.
Handing out money and term, then lamenting about doing so 2 or 3 years in seems to be all the rage... :shifty: 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I can see Words' point of some of his numbers slowly slipping, but IMO that is negligible at this point

Exactly!  It is a known fact that the league average in scoring is going up.

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

You guys should try and swing a trade for Gibson since the rumor is he wants out of Anaheim.

I wouldn't rush into any trades, but I would be giving Campbell some games when he gets healthy to see what he's capable of.  :)

11 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

(Disclaimer: This is NOT a real rumored trade.....just one put out there for entertainment purposes. So anyone up in arms about this, or hopeful about this...settle the &^%$ down, alright? :bigteeth: )

We're not rushing into any trades lol.  😃

Toronto's next big trade is going to involve either Tavares or Nylander. I think everyone knows we can't keep the big-4 together much longer without running an OHL defence group out there.

7 hours ago, pilldoc said:

But that means he's below average, so he's not his usual self.   :( 

6 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Exactly!  It is a known fact that the league average in scoring is going up.

That's fantastic but his sv% is below league average now and that wasn't the case two years ago.  :) 

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I wouldn't rush into any trades, but I would be giving Campbell some games when he gets healthy to see what he's capable of.  :)

We're not rushing into any trades lol.  😃

Toronto's next big trade is going to involve either Tavares or Nylander. I think everyone knows we can't keep the big-4 together much longer without running an OHL defence group out there.

But that means he's below average, so he's not his usual self.   :( 

That's fantastic but his sv% is below league average now and that wasn't the case two years ago.  :) 

You panic too much... relax and enjoy your team being in first place....

• Like 1