It(better be)'s only one game...

SpikeDDS

Last night's Florida game was the first since the COVID Collapse where the Red Wings looked like they did last year. It didn't take long for a team like Florida to undress us. We were just not ready for this game, and Florida was.

It could be just one of those games. They happen occasionally. They happen to us TOO occasionally.

It could be that mentally they weren't the same at the news of the loss of one of their massuers who just passed away. Blashill was visibly upset by it even after the game. Maybe.

Or it could be that the Wings' frustration is starting to get the better of them. To play as well as they have in recent games--maybe six or seven in a row--and have basically NOTHING to show for it, that is tough to get out of your head.

I will say that Florida did a masterful job of taking advantage. Their game plan and execution were exceptional. This was a game between one of the best teams in the NHL right now and the second-worst team in the NHL. And it looked like it! First game I had to turn off in a while.

I hope this isn't the start of a decline in play. Despite the losses, I've enjoyed the competition. I see the improvement in their play as compared to last season. I want it to continue. But I realize that eventually the losses are going to get in the heads of even the most competitive players with the strongest minds.

I wonder how Yzerman did it for all of those early years. Of course, even those teams weren't THIS bad.

I'd like to see the Wings come out and play a strong game to make up for it next game.

• Like 1

The big problem is we have to keep the kids buried in the minors or Europe because of the upcoming expansion draft at seasons end. Next year you can bank on Veleno, Seider, Raymond and Berggren all being on the big club which will change everything. I accept that we will finish last this year, get our teeth kicked in a bit even but we are slightly better than last year, the paring of Staal/Stecher is a real deal NHL 2nd pair, Fabbri is proving last year was no fluke, a few other things to hang our hat on. Hang in there better days are just around the corner. We are going to have those games but those days are going to come to an end.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The big problem is we have to keep the kids buried in the minors or Europe because of the upcoming expansion draft at seasons end. Next year you can bank on Veleno, Seider, Raymond and Berggren all being on the big club which will change everything. I accept that we will finish last this year, get our teeth kicked in a bit even but we are slightly better than last year, the paring of Staal/Stecher is a real deal NHL 2nd pair, Fabbri is proving last year was no fluke, a few other things to hang our hat on. Hang in there better days are just around the corner. We are going to have those games but those days are going to come to an end.

Well, and they did what I was hoping they would do yesterday, and that is make the previous game look like the aberration. That's what they needed to do, and they did it. They won a 2-1 game still losing the battle of special teams. Sure, I'd prefer a 4-2 win, but a win is a win right now. Their defense and goaltending have been MUCH better since the COVID Collapse (I'm trademarking that, BTW). The first Florida game, it was hard to tell, but it just seemed like the effort wasn't there. Like, NOBODY was going except for maybe Glendening.

And speaking of Glendening, thank the Lord above we were smart enough NOT to trade him away. His faceoff talent is SO desperately needed right now. I, once again, won't be surprised to see him become a hot trade deadline topic of discussion. He is CLEARLY earning the A on his sweater. I have probably given him short shrift in the past, particularly wondering how Babcock could put his competitiveness is the same league as Bergeron, etc. But amongst this squad, other than Larkin himself, he truly may be in that next tier of leaders in the dressing room. His game is displaying that leadership.

I'm wondering a little if DDK may never get back to full strength as far as his health is concerned. I HOPE so. We need him to at least be solid. It was good to see him back on the ice. He needs to manage his game to make sure he doesn't reinjure himself.

Regarding the kids in Europe, as I said in some of our previous threads, I am OK with what Yzerman did this season with the young talent. It was smart, even though it hurts for the moment. That is EXACTLY the kind of decision that Holland forgot how to make. Sometimes cutting your losses for the sake of the long term is THE best play you can make. And I really think he has done the right thing here.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that we are playing as well as we have been, TBH. Once he made that decision, I think he's done as reasonable job of assembling a team to put on the ice to sell seats this season as he could. This ISN'T (usually) the same team as last year. They ARE better, particularly on the back end. And I truly wasn't sure they would be.

And Greiss has been a great pickup too. His GAA doesn't really tell the whole truth on how well he has played in the crease, and Friday's game didn't help that at all, but he has been one of the if not THE reason in most close games why we were even close and actually competing. I hope Larkin can rouse the boys to give him the same goal support they have given Bernier. How many games have the Wings scored more than 2 goals when Greiss has been in goal? Two?

We've got enough pieces (including Fabbri, as you noted) to help teach the kids coming in how to play like and NHLer. There's a bit more stability. Once you have that, and inject a significant measure of talent into it, it just gets better from there. I just hope we can keep the team from being too discouraged by all of the L's despite the fact that they are playing better, because if frustration gets the best of them like it clearly did last season, it gets ugly again. Fast!

@WordsOfWisdom

Jonathan Bernier has become quite the journeyman.
Some games he looks pretty good, some games, not so much.

I am pretty sure he is in Detroit till the Wings can figure out a long term number one netminder.
If I remember Steve Yzerman's way of finding a goalie, LOTS of players...journeymen, reclamation projects, up n comers....are gonna get a shot till someone proves they can carry the team from the nets.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@WordsOfWisdom

Jonathan Bernier has become quite the journeyman.
Some games he looks pretty good, some games, not so much.

I am pretty sure he is in Detroit till the Wings can figure out a long term number one netminder.
If I remember Steve Yzerman's way of finding a goalie, LOTS of players...journeymen, reclamation projects, up n comers....are gonna get a shot till someone proves they can carry the team from the nets.

All I can say for Red Wings fans is your team has no future if he's your goalie. You can't build around that guy. He was sent to the MINORS during his time in Toronto. (A lot of people forget that.) He actually got demoted to the AHL in an effort to get him to "find his game".  Toronto wasn't a good team back then, but Bernier gave them no chance to win. He was decent for one season I think and then the wheels fell off. Plus, the goals he would let in were back breakers. 

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

All I can say for Red Wings fans is your team has no future if he's your goalie. You can't build around that guy. He was sent to the MINORS during his time in Toronto. (A lot of people forget that.) He actually got demoted to the AHL in an effort to get him to "find his game".  Toronto wasn't a good team back then, but Bernier gave them no chance to win. He was decent for one season I think and then the wheels fell off. Plus, the goals he would let in were back breakers. 

Bernier is not there as a cornerstone piece.
Not even close.

Wings are still sorting through, well, EVERYTHING, and since they have to have someone in net to ice a team, he is there.
And the Wings COULD do worse than Bernier in that regards.

No....Detroit doesn't have their cornerstone goalie just yet....unless its someone in the minors right now I am not aware of.

@SpikeDDS

I think your Wings will come to most games ready to play, ready to compete....but of course, the question will always be, "Do they have enough to pull out wins or even keep pace with the given opponent that night?".

Right now, sadly, the answer will be "No."

There are two types of bottom dwelling teams:

1--- The type that tries hard, has hungry players, but simply doesn't measure up to most of its competition at the present time.

2--- The type the doesn't seem to care, is filled mostly with players just happy to get paid, go through the motions, and won't EVER be good without a complete overhaul of the personnel, the culture, hell, maybe even the front office.

Count your blessings that yours is Team #1, at least, I believe that to be the case.
In case you are wondering, would I even know what a Team #2 looks like?
Absolutely.

See the Tampa Bay Lightning circa 1997-early 2000's, pre-Lecavalier/St. Louis/Stamkos

Joke of a franchise...filled with vets who were glad to be playing hockey in a warm state, getting paid, then looking forward to the golfing after every loss.
They were so bad, in fact, my family cancelled their season ticket plans after watching one too many games, down at ice level, where players were just "skating around", and even joking around when they got scored on.

I don't believe Steve Yzerman is going to allow that kind of disgusting behavior under his watch.
You guys are gonna suffer some for the next couple seasons...and take yer lumps you will.... but at the very least, you should see, most nights, a team that at least cares, or is trying, to the best of their current ability, to win a game.

Some games, yes, they will very likely be "undressed" as you put it, by a team ready to compete now, like the Florida Panthers.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bernier is not there as a cornerstone piece.
Not even close.

Wings are still sorting through, well, EVERYTHING, and since they have to have someone in net to ice a team, he is there.
And the Wings COULD do worse than Bernier in that regards.

No...Detroi.t doesn't have their cornerstone goalie just yet....unless its someone in the minors right now I am not aware of.

I guess my thought was: If they're going to be bad, start playing rookie goalies and see who pans out.  Wasting time on Bernier is halting the development of that future goalie, whoever it may be.  :) 

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I guess my thought was: If they're going to be bad, start playing rookie goalies and see who pans out.  Wasting time on Bernier is halting the development of that future goalie, whoever it may be.  :) 

The problem is their literally are ZERO NHL caliber goalies in the organization at this time. None. None of our goalie prospscts have panned out so we are n a holding pattern with Bernier/Greiss and hope that we sign someone elses free agent down the road when we are ready to compete.

• Like 2