Game 16: Flyers vs. Bruins; 2//21/21, Lake Tahoe, NV, 7:30 PM, NBCSN; Pregame at 7

Howie58

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Carter needs to wake up and make a tough stop tonight. I'll allow that visuals aren't the best but the second left me angered. 

He couldn't see the puck for the trees...isn't that the saying?

🤬

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

Well that was nice to look at until the sun went down.

**** the Bruins.

I don't think they're great or have the Flyers number.

We haven't played them with our best roster, we should have won 2 of the games this season played without our best player.

So **** them and **** the idea that the Flyers can't beat them.

• Like 1

I will add, even though that guy kills us, David Pastarnak is maybe the most fun dude in the league.

Dripping skill, self deprecating and funny.

The Macho-man Oakley's pre and post game were awesome. 

His shot is wicked good. Would like to have a guy like that play for my team, seems like it would be fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

agree barely watchable with sun/ice.  Had to be a bitch to actually play in those conditions..especially with the glare .....

If they're going to keep playing these gimmick games just make it ALL gimmick. 3 hours of shootouts on outdoor rinks...last goal wins!  If it's cloudy that day just give fans laser pointers to aim in the players eyes. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If they're going to keep playing these gimmick games just make it ALL gimmick. 3 hours of shootouts on outdoor rinks...last goal wins!  If it's cloudy that day just give fans laser pointers to aim in the players eyes. 

It needs to stop.  Isn't the point of this whole charade to bring in the 'casual' viewer?   People that wouldn't normally watch a game?    Well, if I was a casual watcher and I tried to watch the first period I would have turned it off in the first 5 minutes.  You couldn't see the puck at all.  It was dumb.  /rant

• Like 3

if this is the type of team that's going to be when giroux and jake retire, we should be concerned and penguins fans should be concerned about their future too because they hired our former gm in hextall that drafted no offensive skill, just grit and grind players.

Edited by tucson83

Well if the rumors are true that Flyers are interested in trading for the Pres Ekholm they need to go ahead and pull the trigger while they can....he is needed to help with their back end play.

Why wait points are sliding down the drain every game they wait.

• Like 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Well if the rumors are true that Flyers are interested in trading for the Pres Ekholm they need to go ahead and pull the trigger while they can....he is needed to help with their back end play.

Why wait points are sliding down the drain every game they wait.

So who or what do you give up for Ekholm...who's likely a rental?

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Wouldn't be much since he will require protection for the expansion draft which i would have to leave him exposed unless he could in and plays like the second coming of Kimmo Timonen then mission control we have a problem...a good one however.

My guess a player and pick. Also which pick and player would all be guesses at this point but the Flyers could use a vet like him.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

This year's first, a player ( Gus, Ghost, ) maybe a prospect, but not a blue chipper.

This year's draft is kinda...well weird like the world leads me to believe if there was a year to burn a 1st pick this is it. There isn't much to scout in N/A so 

I don't offer Koneckny or some crown jewel. They're rebuilding, give them things that help with that. 

Because he's likely a rental I don't push a big pile into the pot.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

if this is the type of team that's going to be when giroux and jake retire, we should be concerned and penguins fans should be concerned about their future too because they hired our former gm in hextall that drafted no offensive skill, just grit and grind players.

I think the joke about Hextall is solid.

Before implying that, the Flyers will be icing a team that has 2 converted defensmen and an AAAA player on it's fourth line and that is the path forward, you should consider the players missing due to COVID and injuries in the system. Frost, Ratcliff, Laczynski, Forrester, and Allison are all not available. 

The COVID and injuries hit all at once.

I don't think this is the type of team we'll see once Jake and G move on.

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wouldn't be much since he will require protection for the expansion draft which i would have to leave him exposed unless he could in and plays like the second coming of Kimmo Timonen then mission control we have a problem...a good one however.

My guess a player and pick. Also which pick and player would all be guesses at this point but the Flyers could use a vet like him.

I'm not saying I don't want Ekholm...I do. I'm just not keen on throwing away a player and a pick on a rental that isn't the difference between this team being a contender or not. 

If it was a sign and trade, ok. But then we lose a Myers or a Sanheim.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This year's first, a player ( Gus, Ghost, ) maybe a prospect, but not a blue chipper.

This year's draft is kinda...well weird like the world leads me to believe if there was a year to burn a 1st pick this is it. There isn't much to scout in N/A so 

I don't offer Koneckny or some crown jewel. They're rebuilding, give them things that help with that. 

I think trading the pick is the opposite. I believe you could end up getting a steal of a player in the mid to lower end of the draft that wouldn't normally be available. This isn't the year to be drafting top ten IMO...but after that....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the joke about Hextall is solid.

Before implying that, the Flyers will be icing a team that has 2 converted defensmen and an AAAA player on it's fourth line and that is the path forward, you should consider the players missing due to COVID and injuries in the system. Frost, Ratcliff, Laczynski, Forrester, and Allison are all not available. 

The COVID and injuries hit all at once.

I don't think this is the type of team we'll see once Jake and G move on.

Agreed. 

For example..let's see a healthy Flyers roster play against the Bruins minus Pasternak/Marchand/Bergeron and 3 other starters.

Bruins fans may not be too happy with what the future holds either, that way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm just not keen on throwing away a player and a pick on a rental that isn't the difference between this team being a contender or not.

Well my crystal ball is in the shop, so it sounds like you want a guarantee that this will put them in the conference finals or no dice?? 

Well that isn't how this works.

You have to do your scouting and then give up something of value for something of value.

He is a very good two way defenseman who can help stabilize the blueline like Niskanen did.

They sure won't make it very far i think without this type after watching these keystone kops play this season so far even Ivan looks human this year....so to improve that what is it worth to you??

If you want to say the hell with a deep playoff run i guess we can just stay with status quo.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And he is signed for the following year to so he could be attractive to Seattle for their defense and you could not lose anyone else like a NAK or whomever. So that has value to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well my crystal ball is in the shop, so it sounds like you want a guarantee that this will put them in the conference finals or no dice?? 

Well that isn't how this works.

You have to do your scouting and then give up something of value for something of value.

He is a very good two way defenseman who can help stabilize the blueline like Niskanen did.

They sure won't make it very far i think without this type after watching these keystone kops play this season so far even Ivan looks human this year....so to improve that what is it worth to you??

If you want to say the hell with a deep playoff run i guess we can just stay with status quo.

This isn't the traditional, old dumb Flyer mantra of trading prospects for 38 year olds. Ekholm can help this team on defense immensely, right now. You're not killing your future by giving away one good prospect. Pull the trigger, or inevitably watch as your franchise goalie gets hurt. That's why you pull the trigger on a trade- Carter Hart.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If it was a sign and trade, ok. But then we lose a Myers or a Sanheim.

He is on the books for next year so there would be no sign and trade.

He is on the books for 3.75mill this year and 3.75 mill next year so that is a very good price for a two way vet. And he could be a good option for Seattle so you don't lose anyone else.

The Penguins are after him but they don't have a 1st round pick this year to even offer.

Flyers have all the ammo they need to swing a deal if they want.

• Like 1

Folks, I agree some D help would benefit us enormously, but right now, I am concerned about goal.  Mr. Hart wasn't doing so well before the COVID roster "blow-up."  Something isn't right.  

I doubt Mr. Fletcher gives up a young blue chipper to for a rental. He knows the score.  The one thing to consider, however, is cap space during in a flat future. He might need to sacrifice someone now to keep two warm bodies down the road. That said, I think Gus and others will be vacated and there will be room for York and maybe an important D add-on.

By the way, whether it's D or forward, at least Friedman shows effort.  I thought he was one of the few bright spots last night.  

Best,

Howie

Raffl and a  2nd round pick for Ekholm. Nothing more.

It might be attractive to the Press because Raffl's contact is up so it effectively removes his entire cap hit for them.

If they want Gus, too, that's fine.  It's a slight increase in cap for Nashville, but they have room. Both players are done at the end of this season, so they come out with the cap space to shop or save.

We get Ekholm to expose for the expansion draft and lose a 2nd in a weak (strange} year.

Everybody wins. The flyers short term, the Press longer term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Folks, I agree some D help would benefit us enormously, but right now, I am concerned about goal.  Mr. Hart wasn't doing so well before the COVID roster "blow-up."  Something isn't right.  

I doubt Mr. Fletcher gives up a young blue chipper to for a rental. He knows the score.  The one thing to consider, however, is cap space during in a flat future. He might need to sacrifice someone now to keep two warm bodies down the road. That said, I think Gus and others will be vacated and there will be room for York and maybe an important D add-on.

By the way, whether it's D or forward, at least Friedman shows effort.  I thought he was one of the few bright spots last night.  

Best,

Howie

Yeah, either Cam or Zamula.   I don't want to tie up too many slots, but I'd move for Ekholm and then leave him exposed to Seattle. If they don't take him, we'll figure out options.