Game 16: Flyers vs. Bruins; 2//21/21, Lake Tahoe, NV, 7:30 PM, NBCSN; Pregame at 7

Howie58

29 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Agreed. 

For example..let's see a healthy Flyers roster play against the Bruins minus Pasternak/Marchand/Bergeron and 3 other starters.

Bruins fans may not be too happy with what the future holds either, that way.

True enough, even though Hart has looked like **** so has the rest of the team. Unfortunately, going on a prolong losing streak in a short season could be the difference in making or not making the playoffs. But the way the Flyers are playing even if they make the playoffs they'll go out in the first round. On a side note, do you see any OHL hockey being played this year?

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Folks, I agree some D help would benefit us enormously, but right now, I am concerned about goal.  Mr. Hart wasn't doing so well before the COVID roster "blow-up."  Something isn't right.  

I doubt Mr. Fletcher gives up a young blue chipper to for a rental. He knows the score.  The one thing to consider, however, is cap space during in a flat future. He might need to sacrifice someone now to keep two warm bodies down the road. That said, I think Gus and others will be vacated and there will be room for York and maybe an important D add-on.

By the way, whether it's D or forward, at least Friedman shows effort.  I thought he was one of the few bright spots last night.  

Best,

Howie

Something isn't right. Either Hart is already hurting from the volume of good to great shots he's facing, or he is lacking confidence. This is due in part, let's be honest...to a poor defense. It doesn't matter why. Management needs to protect their best asset. No matter what, he is your franchise. So, based on that alone, you give up a piece of the future to help right now. Draft well, and it won't matter that much down the road.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Raffl and a  2nd round pick for Ekholm. Nothing more.

It might be attractive to the Press because Raffl's contact is up so it effectively removes his entire cap hit for them.

If they want Gus, too, that's fine.  It's a slight increase in cap for Nashville, but they have room. Both players are done at the end of this season, so they come out with the cap space to shop or save.

We get Ekholm to expose for the expansion draft and lose a 2nd in a weak (strange} year.

Everybody wins. The flyers short term, the Press longer term.

This sounds like a better hockey trade than what I was coming up with.

The benefits are there for both teams. Especially when considering the salary cap.

The idea of a 2nd instead of a first is appealing also, though a first could be used to draft a centerman and we all know how Poile never misses with those.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is on the books for next year so there would be no sign and trade.

He is on the books for 3.75mill this year and 3.75 mill next year so that is a very good price for a two way vet. And he could be a good option for Seattle so you don't lose anyone else.

The Penguins are after him but they don't have a 1st round pick this year to even offer.

Flyers have all the ammo they need to swing a deal if they want.

Ok, my bad. I thought he was a UFA after this year and looking for a big payout.

30 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's really looking like a lost year isn't it?

I'll get back to you on this,  we're just past the quarter pole. Many things can happen.

Including this stretch being viewed as "adversity overcome ".

I remember saying to the gang that we had two outcomes for the year--one was that we looked like the 9 and 1 + Round Robin, or the so-so squad against MTL and NYI.  Right now, we are at the cusp, with a record that is quite good but some real problems.  I'd also say our wins have been against some of the lesser-ranked teams.  I will give it another 10-15 games before making a coin toss.  This is a "strange" season but the strangeness impacts all teams.  Granted, last night we fielded a glorified A Squad but still, there are some issues with D and Goal that are troubling.  We are a little like the Jap Navy at Midway--we can get blown away in 4-5 minute stretches while competing the other 55.  We had similar problems last year, even with Niskanen.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Folks, I agree some D help would benefit us enormously, but right now, I am concerned about goal.  Mr. Hart wasn't doing so well before the COVID roster "blow-up."  Something isn't right. 

Don't let him become like Wentz and scar him into thinking he has to do this all by himself.

Get this man some help in his own end he is under duress and he is a kid.

And they isn't towards you H58.

Stop F**KING WAITING FOR TOMORROW!!!

It's what i tell anyone when it comes to investing don't forget about today planning for tomorrow. Today counts too!!!!

I'm not promised tomorrow.

Some times you have to weigh stuff i get it, but damn always collecting for a rainy day some times it's just overcast.

Don't let Hart feel he has to go this alone. Get him some guys who can help erase his mistakes too.

Only guy i like doing that nightly is Provy and even his play this year hasn't been up to par.

Travis and Phil are working on their game so all the have really is a top 3. Ghost well is still Ghost.

Just get some help before the damage is done.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll get back to you on this,  we're just past the quarter pole. Many things can happen.

Including this stretch being viewed as "adversity overcome ".

Lol...I was referring to the OHL season with Lindbergh. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

No all is not lost.

Despite all the issues we have seen there are still not far from the top so it's a glass half empty for me. I want to watch this team grow and see what happens.

It needs some elder statement. Braun just isn't it. Nothing personal against him he just needs to go.

Could we convince them to take either Braun or Gustafsson back in the deal with a pick of course.

I would give them Ghost even if they prefer. So that would change the pick for me....maybe.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

No all is not lost.

Despite all the issues we have seen there are still not far from the top so it's a glass half empty for me. I want to watch this team grow and see what happens.

It needs some elder statement. Braun just isn't it. Nothing personal against him he just needs to go.

Could we convince them to take either Braun or Gustafsson back in the deal with a pick of course.

I would give them Ghost even if they prefer. So that would change the pick for me....maybe.

Double lol...sorry, if you expand Linberghs quote I was talking about the OHL season which he asked me about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know.   I don't think it's as bad as all that.   It's especially fixable with a well-placed add toward the top of the defense.   I know it's kind of "the plane will be fine; it just needs wings and an engine," but really, a top 4 from somewhere--just one that adds stability, not stardom--would do wonders.

Ultimately, we have a decent record despite not having played very well.  Leave the games post-COVID sabbatical aside, we haven't played to our capability and have not fallen behind.   Should we begin to get people back and we begin clicking we'll look back and think this team did a good job treading water while we weren't playing well.

And honestly, we have had our #1 center for 4 games or so and two of them are without the captain, the 1 RW and others.     Our 2nd pair anchor who we flirted with putting on the first pair has been out a lot.      We have yet to really have a full team.    I don't think we should think of the 1C and 3/4D missing being just an excuse.  I know other teams have injuries, but I'd like to see Boston go without Bergeron and McAvoy or someone for an extended period.  They'd have a decent record but they wouldn't be dominant.  We have a decent record, but clearly we're not dominant.   I know Pastrnak was out, but as terrific as he is, he's not the 1C.    I'd rather be without either, but I think if I had to choose, I'd rather be without my allstar power forward than my allstar point guard.  But that's just me.

Hart hasn't been all world, but he hasn't been terrible either.   I am not going to fault him for a clunker in an outdoor game.   I stopped watching after the first intermission.   I'm not feeling well and had to go to bed.   But without having seen the game nor high(low)lights, I know that in the first period, vision was horrible for Rask and the Bruins D.  I would not be shocked to learn that in the first intermission,  the Bruins talked at length about where it was toughest to see and strategized and planned their attacks accordingly.  I struggle to think the Flyers would have done the same in reverse, but in any event, I don't think that would have had the same effect in the 2nd intermission and 3rd period.  That game is, as they say, what it was.

There's obviously things that need to improve, but I think it's fixable without panic.   At this point, I don't think we're one series and done given that we likely won't play Boston in the first round.   I feel like it should likely end whenever we do play them--whenever that it--unless something significant changes between now and then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

What about Ghost and a 2nd then??

For Ekholm and a 4th.

I don't know why I think this, but I would imagine they'd prefer a forward.   I'm not sure what kind of gaping hole moving Ekholm creates with moving him, but they're forwards need significant help.  I don't know that Raffl provides that, but we all know he's able to move up and down the lineup and across the lines.   It could help them.

The attractive thing on our end is dumping Ghost's salary, but I don't think the extended contract will be attractive to Nashville.  I think the picks change tremendously if you include Ghost.   It's a stepdown on player, cap hit, and term from Nashville's perspective.   For me, it's Raffl & Gus because the Preds aren't stuck with either cap or term.   Close to a wash this year (only slightly more) and nothing next year.    We have a slight cap benefit this year and could expose or move him  Ekholm if he's not taken this summer.   Or keep him one more year if Zamula or Cam aren't ready yet next year.   Or keep him even if one of them are and move Ghost over the summer.   That would actually be the ideal outcome, IMO.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know.   I don't think it's as bad as all that.   It's especially fixable with a well-placed add toward the top of the defense.   I know it's kind of "the plane will be fine; it just needs wings and an engine," but really, a top 4 from somewhere--just one that adds stability, not stardom--would do wonders.

Ultimately, we have a decent record despite not having played very well.  Leave the games post-COVID sabbatical aside, we haven't played to our capability and have not fallen behind.   Should we begin to get people back and we begin clicking we'll look back and think this team did a good job treading water while we weren't playing well.

And honestly, we have had our #1 center for 4 games or so and two of them are without the captain, the 1 RW and others.     Our 2nd pair anchor who we flirted with putting on the first pair has been out a lot.      We have yet to really have a full team.    I don't think we should think of the 1C and 3/4D missing being just an excuse.  I know other teams have injuries, but I'd like to see Boston go without Bergeron and McAvoy or someone for an extended period.  They'd have a decent record but they wouldn't be dominant.  We have a decent record, but clearly we're not dominant.   I know Pastrnak was out, but as terrific as he is, he's not the 1C.    I'd rather be without either, but I think if I had to choose, I'd rather be without my allstar power forward than my allstar point guard.  But that's just me.

Hart hasn't been all world, but he hasn't been terrible either.   I am not going to fault him for a clunker in an outdoor game.   I stopped watching after the first intermission.   I'm not feeling well and had to go to bed.   But without having seen the game nor high(low)lights, I know that in the first period, vision was horrible for Rask and the Bruins D.  I would not be shocked to learn that in the first intermission,  the Bruins talked at length about where it was toughest to see and strategized and planned their attacks accordingly.  I struggle to think the Flyers would have done the same in reverse, but in any event, I don't think that would have had the same effect in the 2nd intermission and 3rd period.  That game is, as they say, what it was.

There's obviously things that need to improve, but I think it's fixable without panic.   At this point, I don't think we're one series and done given that we likely won't play Boston in the first round.   I feel like it should likely end whenever we do play them--whenever that it--unless something significant changes between now and then.

Sigh....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to say besides the stuff i have seen mentioned. I do not like this bottom 6 makeup.

I know they got guys out but swap Gus for Friedman and give Friedman 4th wing spot to Sushko.

Let the damn kids play.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

Roll with this till the Covid Patrol return.

25 James van Riemsdyk - 14 Sean Couturier - 86 Joel Farabee
12 Michael Raffl - 13 Kevin Hayes - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
82 Connor Bunnaman - 19 Nolan Patrick - 72 David Kase
55 Sam Morin - 10 Andy Andreoff - 64 Maksim Sushko

9 Ivan Provorov - 5 Phil Myers
6 Travis Sanheim - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Mark Frideman

56 Erik Gustafsson

@OccamsRazor

I thought it was weird that Kase didn't play vs the Bruins. Do you think the coaches were looking for size? 

I thought he was decent vs the Rangers. 

I also kind of like the Bunnaman, Patrick combo especially with Bunny playing F1 on the forecheck. Nolan needs to find some space, when he goes inside he's getting checked and isn't quite strong enough to fight through it yet. I think if they are left alone they'll find some chemistry. I like Kase's speed with those guys too, that could be a good 3rd line. 

Gotta hope the other boys get healthy and cleared soon though. Missing half of  our top 6 and  our best pocketknife guy is a heavy lift to overcome.