Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

I saw it talked about in another thread and thought it deserved it's own thread.  There is some rumors around a possible trade for the Preds Ekholm.  This article talks about three options:  https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2021/2/22/22294487/nashville-predators-trade-rumor-mattias-ekholm-philadelphia-flyers-boston-bruins-carolina-hurricanes

Trade 1: Erik Gustafsson, Morgan Frost, a 2022 first-round pick and 2021 conditional second-rounder for Ekholm (the condition being related to playoff wins and having the option to turn into a first-rounder).

Trade 2: Scott Laughton, Nolan Patrick and a 2021 second-round pick, with Nashville retaining a bit of Ekholm’s salary.

Trade 3: Shayne Gostisbehere, a 2022 first and 2021 conditional second for Ekholm

IMO....

Trade #1 is a non-starter.  Frost shouldn't be involved

Trade #2 is interesting but a over-payment
Trade #3 I would definitely think long & hard about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I saw it talked about in another thread and thought it deserved it's own thread.  There is some rumors around a possible trade for the Preds Ekholm.  This article talks about three options:  https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2021/2/22/22294487/nashville-predators-trade-rumor-mattias-ekholm-philadelphia-flyers-boston-bruins-carolina-hurricanes

IMO....

I'm not doing any one of these.   We're still talking about a 30 year old defenseman, right?   The one who hasn't been making their lineup due to depth, injury, or tooth decay?

I'll stand on what I said on the other thread regarding Raffl, Gus, 2nd for Ekholm.   The top I'll go.   One or multiple top kids AND a first round pick plus???   Someone needs to either up their meds or enter detox.

• Like 2

I don't want to give up Laughton or Frost, so I wouldn't pull the trigger on Trade #1 or #2. Ghost continues to lose value, IMO, so trade him while he still has value, and even though I don't like giving up the first rounder, Trade #3 is the winner.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:54 AM, Digityman said:

IMO....

Yeah, I'm with @ruxpin here. I don't see how Ekholm is such a great boost to this team, and really wouldn't want to overpay to get a guy like him. Don't get me wrong, he's a good dman, but all of those options just seem like giving a lot away for very likely little gain.

I feel like part of this is a question of trying to find the new Niskanen. Ekholm is not Niskanen.

11 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Ekholm is not Niskanen.

Yes he isn't he is better in his own end than Niskanen was.

And that is what the Flyera need a guy who is physical and can clean up around the crease for his goalie.

Niskenen was more for his offensive flare and ability to help on the PP.

It would be the reason I want to pursue E ( I left it as E because my goddammit phone would not let me type his damn name without changing it to this...Echols) so I gave up and will call him ME from now on.

But yes for the right price I would like ME instead of him being a Penguin, Ranger or Cap like I heard of the teams interested.

Hart and Moose could use him.

Hell it may help vs the pesky Broons.

Flyers need him.

Just another hockey minds opinion on ME:

Ekholm plays a style of defense that Philly fans have never been treated to. Chris Pronger was a minutes-eating force, but he did a lot of his best work through brute force in his late career. Mark Howe and Eric Desjardins were also studs, but they were more renowned for being offensive contributors, even if they were good players in their own ends. If anyone is an apt comparison, it’s former Nashville defender Kimmo Timonen. Ekholm is what would happen if somebody injected the smaller Finn with a massive a mount of testosterone when he was little and then kidnapped him to Sweden.

In terms of personality, he’s a great fit too. The 6’4” frame he rolls around in isn’t just for show; Ekholm likes to hit and scrap with players in front of the net. He also has a propensity for telling refs how awful they are at their jobs, although he’s sadly been a bit less fiery as of late. Some of my best Ekholm memories are from the postseason, where he’s beloved in Nashville for doling out crushing hip-checks and scoring clutch goals. He’s everything that Flyers fans have been clamoring for in a defender for years, and he’s out there for the taking. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers need him.

Just another hockey minds opinion on ME:

Ekholm plays a style of defense that Philly fans have never been treated to. Chris Pronger was a minutes-eating force, but he did a lot of his best work through brute force in his late career. Mark Howe and Eric Desjardins were also studs, but they were more renowned for being offensive contributors, even if they were good players in their own ends. If anyone is an apt comparison, it’s former Nashville defender Kimmo Timonen. Ekholm is what would happen if somebody injected the smaller Finn with a massive a mount of testosterone when he was little and then kidnapped him to Sweden.

In terms of personality, he’s a great fit too. The 6’4” frame he rolls around in isn’t just for show; Ekholm likes to hit and scrap with players in front of the net. He also has a propensity for telling refs how awful they are at their jobs, although he’s sadly been a bit less fiery as of late. Some of my best Ekholm memories are from the postseason, where he’s beloved in Nashville for doling out crushing hip-checks and scoring clutch goals. He’s everything that Flyers fans have been clamoring for in a defender for years, and he’s out there for the taking. 

Yeah, I've watched him a bit (on TV, so with a grain.  You obviously can only see near the puck), and I've always liked his style of play.   I'd be fully behind getting him, fully.   I'm just not backing up the truck with young centers plus picks plus prospects plus whatever is in the beer fridge.   Because he's NOT as fiery as he once was and he is 30.   I have no expectation of his being here after his contract expires, so I'm not sending that kind of package for a one year rental.   I'm not really married to any of the names bantered about at this point.   There was a time when Frost was reflexively NO TRADE!!!     But I'm no longer there.   For me, though, in this instance it's just more about asset management.   

• Like 3

Calgary is playing like they just met and are probably not going to make the playoffs.

They're so far away that sending a good prospect won't come back to kill the team until the SCF.  

Would they make a decent trade partner ?

Everyone wants to talk about Gadreau but he's a luxury. the need imo is at the top of the Defensive depth chart. Does anyone from Calgary fit?

Does Andersson or Hanafin need a "change of scenery"?

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Does Andersson or Hanafin need a "change of scenery"?

No not what Flyers need IMHO.

But if I have to pick one it would be Andersson however I am not in love with his contract.

I guess if I am moving assets I would prefer ME.

In fact I would try to most less assets for maybe one asset.

I won't say his name because well it would draw all the heat from the poster usuals (looking at you mojo :bigteeth: but you're not alone) but if you make him a part of the deal this it would help when it comes to protection for the expansion draft. I wonder if you can guess his name...

@OccamsRazor

Patrick?

Does he have enough value, now?

As for Calgary, I'm not familiar enough with them to know who would help our top 4, I don't think they're trading their captain.

I'm not sure about Tanev, or Andersson really. I know Hanafin was a 1st round guy that was Ghost +...So really just spit=balling there.

The way their playing though seems like they might be "sellers". 

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

Patrick?

Does he have enough value, now?

As for Calgary, I'm not familiar enough with them to know who would help our top 4, I don't think they're trading their captain.

I'm not sure about Tanev, or Andersson really. I know Hanafin was a 1st round guy that was Ghost +...So really just spit=balling there.

The way their playing though seems like they might be "sellers". 

It depends what you're looking to do.    Hanafin is good and maybe long-term, but if you're looking for help now and on the first pair, I don't know that he's there.   He's playing second pair.  And he shoots left.

Anderson would be fun, but I don't want to pay what it would take and don't know why Calgary would move him.   Tanev would actually be interesting.  He's playing second pair there, but he's 31 now and could really fill the veteran slot.   But maybe in a Braun kind of way, which is not a selling point.   Plus, he still has 4 years at $4.5M cap hit.   I think he's a mistake.     And I agree, they're not trading Giordano.   He'd be really expensive for us, but the term almost kind of works.  Significant salary would have to go back, and if they're looking at a rebuild or something, that salary probably doesn't help them.   Don't know.   Maybe someone here in the last year of their contract so it frees them up next year.   I don't know that they're a good partner for getting defensive help.   If you're shopping for forwards, maybe.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 8:54 AM, Digityman said:

IMO....

I go with none of the above, all that for an older player who we may lose in the draft or who may not sign with us. We are not really legit cup contenders , if we are still playing the way we are now, I would be selling at the deadline. If nothing ,I would also wait for the draft and see what kinda deals we could make . We could possibly get Ekholm as an UFA  after the expansion and give up nothing. We are not one defenseman away from a cup.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, ruxpin said:

It depends what you're looking to do.   

I prefer to move assets for Ekholm.

Let's start with Sanheim and what for him???

I would send them Gustafsson to just for cap reason if they would take him.

I wonder if they would do Sanheim, Gustafsson and Sandstrom to give them a prospect for their crease.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I prefer to move assets for Ekholm.

I would send them Gustafsson to just for cap reason if they would take him.

I wonder if they would do Sanheim, Gustafsson and Sandstrom to give them a prospect for their crease.

I'm not at all interested in including Sanheim.   Not for a 30-year old defenseman.  Nope, not doing it.  I'd really be opposed to that, actually.   I know you have a thing with Sanheim, but I completely disagree with it.   

I would think about the rest of it, but I still think they need a forward in this.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Not for a 30-year old defenseman.  Nope, not doing it.

It's not just a 30 year old defenseman he is a #2 defenseman who is yes 30. But he brings a lot of experience and toughness along with a solid play around his crease that the Flyers so badly need.

And it is for a guy who more than likely from what i have seen who will never even be that good.

And he can help teach the the kids like Ivan, Zamula, Myers and maybe even Hagg if he is still round.

I mean if you want to get a great defenseman like that you have to give up something good in return.

And this would help with the who should they protect issue for the exapnsion.

Now you can protect Ivan, Ekholm and Myers.

I understand everyone is not wanting to move Travis because what might be one day but i just don't think he ever gets there....he just reminds me a lot of Coburn and not having a very high hockey IQ.

And he will be looking for a raise from his 3.25 mill he is coming off of. So i would be open to moving him for something good back in return. I mean i'm all in for getting him for less but i can't see it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

from what i have seen who will never even be that good.

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's not just a 30 year old defenseman he is a #2 defenseman who is yes 30. But he brings a lot of experience and toughness along with a solid play around his crease that the Flyers so badly need.

And it is for a guy who more than likely from what i have seen who will never even be that good.

And he can help teach the the kids like Ivan, Zamula, Myers and maybe even Hagg if he is still round.

I mean if you want to get a great defenseman like that you have to give up something good in return.

And this would help with the who should they protect issue for the exapnsion.

Now you can protect Ivan, Ekholm and Myers.

I understand everyone is not wanting to move Travis because what might be one day but i just don't think he ever gets there....he just reminds me a lot of Coburn and not having a very high hockey IQ.

And he will be looking for a raise from his 3.25 mill he is coming off of. So i would be open to moving him for something good back in return. I mean i'm all in for getting him for less but i can't see it.

It's the bolded where we disagree.   I think Sanheim is better than what you're saying, and Eckholm is a 2nd pairing defenseman and has been for quite awhile.    He'd be nice to have next Provorov for stability, but he's not a must have.   If I'm involving Sanheim or Myers in something, it had better be a "must have."  

He's good.   He's not great.   And now he's 30.  I'm not trading that kind of package for him, and certainly not the 1st round picks talked about elsewhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

doesn't this just put a hole a different spot in the rotation?

Ekholm isn't a "clear upgrade" over Sanheim in any department save nastiness, wouldn't you rather go Provorov, Ekholm,  Sanhiem, Myers, Ghost,Braun/Hagg/Guss?

as opposed to Provorov, Ekholm  Ghost, Myers,  Braun, Hagg/Guss ?

Seems unwise to me. Like finally getting your Shelby GT 500 tuned and then trading it for an f-150 King Ranch.

Sanhiem has been pretty great this season, he's been better than Myers and everyone who has played with Travis has benefited. 

If we're actually talking about who the best defensman on the team is right now it might be 6 and not 9. 

Travis is able to elevate a partner, he's better offensively. His work in the d-zone is much improved. I think we're seeing his breakout season.

I don't know outside of maybe lose a strength battle some place on the ice where 6 has been bad this year.

He wins races he's skating the puck out of danger, he's pinching with confidence. Dude's been quite good this season. 

We often don't see the same events the same way. That dynamic is in full effect in this topic.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

I feel like NSH would want forwards coming back anyway, not so much other dmen. They may want something like Frost and change. Is that worth it? I dunno. Ekholm is a decent player, and we could use help on the back end. Frost is a nice mid-six piece though who should be in this league this year or next. I hate giving guys like that up, as so many prospects never really make much of an impact in the league at all, and he seems like he should be an NHLer very soon.

So i dunno. I do like Ekholm. I'm just curious what the price tag would be. I also agree that I'd rather keep Sanheim over Ekholm. Do they want Gus? Take him. Take this bag of pucks too.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I feel like NSH would want forwards coming back anyway, not so much other dmen. They may want something like Frost and change. Is that worth it? I dunno. Ekholm is a decent player, and we could use help on the back end. Frost is a nice mid-six piece though who should be in this league this year or next. I hate giving guys like that up, as so many prospects never really make much of an impact in the league at all, and he seems like he should be an NHLer very soon.

So i dunno. I do like Ekholm. I'm just curious what the price tag would be. I also agree that I'd rather keep Sanheim over Ekholm. Do they want Gus? Take him. Take this bag of pucks too.

Yeah, I have no particular dislike for Ekholm.   I think the pairings @mojo1917 listed would really stabilize some things.   Even if you did move Myers up next to Provorov and put Ekholm with Sanheim.  I'd be good with that too.

Frost:   I'm not as high on him as I was previously, but it's really a shame he got hurt this year, because with them toying with Patrick on the wing, this would seem to be have been his year to show he can play center in this league (or move HIM to wing).   

All that said, I'm not opposed to including Frost in a deal.  I'm just not sure I'm there yet on a vet 2nd pairing defenseman.   If you were talking Josi, sign me up.   Even Ellis.    I'm not as viscerally oppose to it like I was Sanheim, though.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

doesn't this just put a hole a different spot in the rotation?

No. Not in my eyes.

Provorov - Ghost 

Ekholm - Myers

Hagg - Braun

Ekholm isn't a "clear upgrade" over Sanheim in any department save nastiness

Its is what we are trying to add. Exactly.

Sanheim

2020-17 gp 1 gls 5 ast 6 pts 6

2019-20 gp 69 gls 8 ast 17 pts 25

2018-19 gp 82 gls 9 ast 26 pts 35

Ekholm

2020-21 gp 14  gls 2 ast 3 pts 5

2019-20 gp 68 gls 8 ast 25 pts 33

2018-19 gp 82 gls 8 ast 36 pts 44

So as you can see for a guy who is 6 years older you can add the toughness needed without sacrificing a lot of offense.

wouldn't you rather go Provorov, Ekholm,  Sanhiem, Myers, Ghost

Sure but as you said this isn't Xbox you have to give to get something good in return.

Otherwise it would be just a one year rental more than likely because he will need to be protected.

So will Sanheim.

I mean maybe when it cam to it you could give Seattle something not to take Ekholm.

But if you can find a way to give us this i am open to listening.

Provy - Ghost

Ekholm - Myers

Sanheim - Braun

If we're actually talking about who the best defensman on the team is right now it might be 6 and not 9. 

HA puff puff pass to me. I'm not even going to entertain that. Much less that Sanehim ahs been great he has had some good moments but i still see the same issues he has had.

We often don't see the same events the same way. That dynamic is in full effect in this topic.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.