Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

There are so many confounding variables too. Fletch and AV aren’t the guys you bring in if you figure the team needs a rebuild. These are winning window guys — guys who are supposed to find ways to get the most out of already good pieces and build them into a contender. 

So i’m pretty doubtful this management will take the team into rebuild territory. Trading something like Provorov seems very unlikely either way, but even less so given the above. I would say the same for Couts and Hart. I would be shocked well beyond to see any of those three in a trade right now. 

Giroux? That’s a harder assessment for sure. Obviously there would be no shortage of teams who would want his services. At the same time, he is on the back end. To me, the teams who would be most interested in him are current contenders. I wonder what such teams would make sense and how. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, elmatus said:

To me, the teams who would be most interested in him are current contenders. I wonder what such teams would make sense and how. 

Yes.   And therein lies the rub.   If we're going to move him to a contender, I have to think it's during the summer rather than a trade deadline-type move.   I just don't think it's that easy to move him given where the cap is and the likelihood such teams are spending to or near the cap already.

And to your point, I'm not sure why a struggling/rebuilding team would take him or why he would waive to go to such a team at this point.  Ottawa maybe if the "near home" outweighs the "win" desire at this point. Or Toronto, Buffalo, on Montreal.   Toronto would meet the contender condition, but not sure what they'd be willing to blow up to do it or how the cap implications would work.   Montreal seems to be confused about which way they're heading.  If they want to send me something involving Suzuki and Chiarot, I'm talking.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yes.   And therein lies the rub.   If we're going to move him to a contender, I have to think it's during the summer rather than a trade deadline-type move.   I just don't think it's that easy to move him given where the cap is and the likelihood such teams are spending to or near the cap already.

And to your point, I'm not sure why a struggling/rebuilding team would take him or why he would waive to go to such a team at this point.  Ottawa maybe if the "near home" outweighs the "win" desire at this point. Or Toronto, Buffalo, on Montreal.   Toronto would meet the contender condition, but not sure what they'd be willing to blow up to do it or how the cap implications would work.   Montreal seems to be confused about which way they're heading.  If they want to send me something involving Suzuki and Chiarot, I'm talking.

Boston has capspace. Krecji comes off the books after this season. If the Bruins thought Giroux was an improvement...?!?

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

There are so many confounding variables too. Fletch and AV aren’t the guys you bring in if you figure the team needs a rebuild. These are winning window guys — guys who are supposed to find ways to get the most out of already good pieces and build them into a contender. 

So i’m pretty doubtful this management will take the team into rebuild territory. Trading something like Provorov seems very unlikely either way, but even less so given the above. I would say the same for Couts and Hart. I would be shocked well beyond to see any of those three in a trade right now. 

Giroux? That’s a harder assessment for sure. Obviously there would be no shortage of teams who would want his services. At the same time, he is on the back end. To me, the teams who would be most interested in him are current contenders. I wonder what such teams would make sense and how. 

i think this team is going to be fine without giroux and jake but i think they need to retool the defense that's the problem right now, actually it's been the problem since timms and pronger left.

Edited by tucson83

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Boston has capspace. Krecji comes off the books after this season. If the Bruins thought Giroux was an improvement...?!?

I think Bruins use that cap space to take a run at Eichel and Sabres well they have to listen with all their issues.

We know Giroux ain't going anywhere.

And in fact if I have to choose I would rather move Jake.

JVR might get claimed by Seattle now with the year he is having. *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

Ok ... seriously fair question... after reading through this again and watching this team tonight.... Would trying to acquire Ekholm really make a difference to this team right now?  Right now it is very painful watching this team....

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Ok ... seriously fair question... after reading through this again and watching this team tonight.... Would trying to acquire Ekholm really make a difference to this team right now?  Right now it is very painful watching this team....

Yes he would.

Now he wouldn't be the missing piece to the Cup.

But he can be a difference maker like Kimmo was when they acquired him.

And he can ease the burden on the top 4.

But he won't fix the soft perimeter play forwards they have.

But it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

The Flyers really miss a player like Kimmo. Totally agree on all points....

They sure as hell do. To get someone of or near that caliber, that's dealing Giroux at the very least. I might be drunk thinking G has any value...who knows what they could do to get a defenseman like that, but I would like to them seriously upgrade immediately.

Edited by FD19372

Doesnt Giroux have a NMC?

If this is the case, moving him is moot. Unless he wants to go, he isnt going. Consider last season when the reports were that being away from wife/kid jacked him up so bad, he was worthless in the playoffs. If true, family means more than hockey success. So why would he agree to move. Also consider this franchises history of keeping players like him employed long past playing days. He may see a future in the organization, negating any desire to relocate 

I dont see him going anywhere 

7 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

One dman won't fix this team. This team needs a heart transplant. They just don't want it enough. 

No, they need a confident veteran player, who doesn't panic under pressure and knows when he needs to get to the puck, or when he needs to take the man out of the play. They don't need a flashy defenseman, just a steady, reliable one.

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

No, they need a confident veteran player, who doesn't panic under pressure and knows when he needs to get to the puck, or when he needs to take the man out of the play. They don't need a flashy defenseman, just a steady, reliable one.

Agree on that point, but our four highest paid , so called best players are all on their 30s and are not going to get any better in the coming years. So something else also has to be done , even with a new dman, we are not legit Cup contenders and if we are still 2-3 years away , at that point Jake,JVR, G and Hayes will all be washed up. As much as we hate Jake and JVR, we do not have anyone ready to step in and replace their production. Farabee is the only young guy we have that is scoring .

With the flat cap and big contracts we are gonna have problems moving any of our veterans, I think we are stuck with them. So as their productivity decreases ,who is gonna pick up the slack? Our only hope is Lindblom, Patrick and Frost make huge improvements next year or someone like Ratcliffe or Allison come out of nowhere and help this team. Our top offensive prospects, Foerester and Wisdom are a few years away from helping. I don’t see us competing with teams like Boston, Caps and the Isles , they have more skill and way more size and grit, we are not built for the playoffs.

Well one thing is for sure it is time to sell.

I expect fans will be livid with AV's comments about the team trending in the right direction.

So just sell sell sell.

Maybe the can get inside the top 5 and draft another Nolan Patrick...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well one thing is for sure it is time to sell.

I expect fans will be livid with AV's comments about the team trending in the right direction.

So just sell sell sell.

Maybe the can get inside the top 5 and draft another Nolan Patrick...

That sounds like a "cheerleading" comment. I mean... it's not Vigneault's style to be a Tortorella or someone with that else with his personality, and rip the team in the press. I would rather him say something a bit different and creative, and not humorous..and say "We should be hitting the bottom floor of our play soon", because they can't play much worse than they have.

6 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Funny,:ph34r: and yet NOT.

No it's down right sad.

So rumor has it NAK was 19 seconds late on one of his shifts last night because he wasn't paying attention.

That can’t happen. HTF with the game like it was are you not paying attention?

AV needs to bench his ass.

You can not have guys not paying attention when you are losing and chasing your goalie. Unacceptable.

They just need to be in sell mode with this club.

There are just way to many passengers.

And then you aren't getting anything from your bottom 6 to supplement the top guys not scoring (JVR excluded).

Guys on the block without guestion:

Ghost

Voracek

Gus

Hagg

NAK

JVR

Braun

Patrick

Laughton

Elliott

Sanheim

Just make me an offer. Maybe we can work a deal out.

All phone lines are open....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I think if you're not worried about every puck mishandle or mistake winding up in your net, you can  attack.

So I think, yes, a steady guy who can help the team feel confident would be immensely helpful.

Doesn't need to be Victor Hedman, just a guy that can replicate Niskanen's competent minutes.

This team is playing with sub-zero confidence, every mistake winds up as a goal against, you can't attack looking over your shoulder.

I'd like to see them try to add "that guy" . before printing up the sale posters. 

26 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think if you're not worried about every puck mishandle or mistake winding up in your net, you can  attack.

So I think, yes, a steady guy who can help the team feel confident would be immensely helpful.

Doesn't need to be Victor Hedman, just a guy that can replicate Niskanen's competent minutes.

This team is playing with sub-zero confidence, every mistake winds up as a goal against, you can't attack looking over your shoulder.

I'd like to see them try to add "that guy" . before printing up the sale posters. 

they just need a proven leader on defense.