Hart

Expose:

JVR

Voracek

Lindblom

NAK

Hagg

Braun

I don't hate this. I don't really think it makes us into a contender or anything, but I don't hate it. I have to assume they'd nab Voracek in this scenario, though I guess JVR could make a case if he continues on the year he's been having. I don't think Lindblom or NAK have shown enough on the ice to merit being picked up, unless it's a question of wanting to use the cap space on other players elsewhere.

And clearly no GM worth their salts would even sniff at Hagg or Braun. That would be Chiarelli-level bad.

Where's Laughton though in this scenario? I could see him being a target.

Edited by elmatus

16 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I don't really think it makes us into a contender or anything

No but it is own the way towards hopefully making them one soon.

17 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I have to assume they'd nab Voracek in this scenario, though I guess JVR

Yes especially if you be aggressive and trade JVR for a piece or two or even picks or prospects before Seattle selects him for nothing.

18 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I don't think Lindblom or NAK have shown enough on the ice to merit being picked up, unless it's a question of wanting to use the cap space on other players elsewhere.

I agree but depending on what they select from other teams they could be like a Bellemare type selection for Seattle just bottom 6 help for the time being and both still RFA after their current deals.

20 minutes ago, elmatus said:

And clearly no GM worth their salts would even sniff at Hagg or Braun.

I agree but what if the plan was to not protect Ekholm in their scenario but encourage Seattle to take Oskar and send them his best friend Hagg and a pick to not take Ekholm and Hagg would help ease Oskar's acceptance about going out west with his best friend....just brain storming. 

Just an idea...

Well maybe something is to go down soon. 

“Sunday in Hershey (NHL-Washington), there were a handful of scouts on hand at Giant Center scouting the Hershey Bears and Phantoms (PHI) – including not one, but two representatives (presumed scouts) from the Nashville Predators organization in attendance.

The Predators are now scouting Phantoms’ road games in addition to their appearance at recent home games. Their increased presence might suggest there’s something brewing between the Flyers and Predators organizations, which in the past two weeks has seen the rumor mill spinning as the NHL’s trade deadline approaches in April.”

I wonder if it could be for a few players or prospects instead of for just one player.

It is the second time it has been reported that scouts from Nashville were at these games over the last couple weeks.

Something needs to change soon......

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No but it is own the way towards hopefully making them one soon.

Yes especially if you be aggressive and trade JVR for a piece or two or even picks or prospects before Seattle selects him for nothing.

I agree but depending on what they select from other teams they could be like a Bellemare type selection for Seattle just bottom 6 help for the time being and both still RFA after their current deals.

I agree but what if the plan was to not protect Ekholm in their scenario but encourage Seattle to take Oskar and send them his best friend Hagg and a pick to not take Ekholm and Hagg would help ease Oskar's acceptance about going out west with his best friend....just brain storming. 

Just an idea...

Or we could keep Haag on , he can be a human pylon in the practices instead of the actual games.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well maybe something is to go down soon. 

“Sunday in Hershey (NHL-Washington), there were a handful of scouts on hand at Giant Center scouting the Hershey Bears and Phantoms (PHI) – including not one, but two representatives (presumed scouts) from the Nashville Predators organization in attendance.

The Predators are now scouting Phantoms’ road games in addition to their appearance at recent home games. Their increased presence might suggest there’s something brewing between the Flyers and Predators organizations, which in the past two weeks has seen the rumor mill spinning as the NHL’s trade deadline approaches in April.”

I wonder if it could be for a few players or prospects instead of for just one player.

It is the second time it has been reported that scouts from Nashville were at these games over the last couple weeks.

Something needs to change soon......

Let’s think about this, who could they possibly want from the Phantoms? Certainly not any of the career minor league guys. All the best prospects have just come back from injury. Realistically, it can’t be Allison, Foerester or Ratcliffe, they all just came back like last week. I sure as hell hope it isn’t Wisdom.  So that leaves Zamula, Wylie and Millman. If Nashville is giving us a quality dman, then I guarantee they want Zamula for starters, probably Frost and a pick. 

30 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Or we could keep Haag on , he can be a human pylon in the practices instead of the actual games.

Eh i would just rather move him somewhere else....i hate it i like the guy especially since he is home grown...but the only way i ever want him around really is as a 7th or 8th option.

In fact i would prefer to keep Morin than Hagg because Morin has better tools than Hagg and he can do everything Hagg can do except stay healthy.

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Wylie

This kid is going to be good i think.

I think he has the skillset of a Sanheim lite and is a right hand shot and will more than likley turn into a better two way defenseman than i think Travis will be.

And they don't have to only offer guys on the Phantoms either.

I would dangle Emil Andrea even in the package to get this thing rolling.

However we don't know if they aren't checking out a goalie either....like Felix Sandstrom the in the deal as well....since Rinne is long in the tooth and Saros is just ok.

Besides Sandstrom could be selected by Seattle too.

So maybe something like Wylie or Millman, Sandstrom and would they dangle Laczynski,  Rubtsov or Ratcliffe???

Instead of picks because the Preds make prefer guys who are closer to being able to play in the NHL. 

Guys i prefer not to offer are Zamula, Wisdom, Foerster and Frost.

16 hours ago, CoachX said:

I dont think NAK has shown enough to be on the ice

He really hasn't and it pisses me off he has taken his foot off the pedal.

Now he isn't the only one but his game is what the Flyers need and lack....and he should be out there trying to show AV he needs to be pushed up the lineup and he instead looks like he is comfortable just showing up and going through the motions. It has to change or he needs to sit.

He is running out of time in my opinion with other prospects who are jumping at the bit to get in the lineup to show they can play too. So not sure how much rope he gets from AV.

• Like 1

Back on topic.

If the Flyers are serious then they need to go ahead and pull the trigger and act like this upcoming points are important too. Time is wasting hey have one more winnable game vs the Rags tonight then the real test will begin.

Two straight on the road vs the Isles and then a home game vs them. With these games being a 4 point swing almost they could make up some much needed ground stacking wins vs this team.

But the game we have seen from them the last several weeks ain't getting that done.

It is looking like three straight losses from where i sit. Sorry call it like i see it.

So go get help. I think if you really want Ekholm it is going to take something like what got the Leafs Jake Muzzin so that is a good starting point.

So swing it:

Muzzin was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forward Carl Grundström, the playing rights to Sean Durzi, and Toronto's first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.

• Like 1

A lot of this trade talk and the fact that Michigan's season has ended and the best prospect in the system just won a crap-load of collegiate hockey awards has me wondering if York could possibly be a Ryan MacDougnah type pick.

Cam put on a lot of muscle over the summer, he was almost always the best player on the ice this season, could he be ready to skip the A and play bottom pair? 

A lot hinges on whether Michigan gets an at large bid to keep playing, but is it too "pipe dreamy" to think he could play in the NHL right away?

I don't remember MacDougnah spending any time in the A for the Rangers, he just "was", always good, and later borderline great.

I would like for the Flyers to have a pick that winds up like that as a pro, Farabee has been close. 

42 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

could he be ready to skip the A and play bottom pair? 

Funny you should said that i was think when i posted his clip in the prospect thread that damn i think i would take him on the bottom pair with all his warts as he is learning on the job.

Than having to watch a Hagg, Ghost or even Gus fumble fcuk around back there on the blueline another game.

Maybe put him with a Braun maybe and see what happens. But i know Chuckles would never do that.

But i would sign him to his entry level contract....get him on a PTO to finish the season with the Phantoms as the year ends.

And worst case scenario if he looks good and you get on a deep playoff run ( and i realize alot has to change to even get to that point) worse comes to worse you could play him in a pinch but you would have to weigh him burning a year of his entry level deal if he plays.

But you would have the option.

Better than not having the option....but he could come in i think like Cale Makar did to help the Avs playoff push in 2018-19.

Just a thought.

50 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't remember MacDougnah spending any time in the A for the Rangers, he just "was", always good, and later borderline great.

He played about half a season but like Giroux once he showed he was ready to handle a heavier work load he got called up.

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Funny you should said that i was think when i posted his clip in the prospect thread that damn i think i would take him on the bottom pair with all his warts as he is learning on the job.

Than having to watch a Hagg, Ghost or even Gus fumble fcuk around back there on the blueline another game.

Maybe put him with a Braun maybe and see what happens. But i know Chuckles would never do that.

But i would sign him to his entry level contract....get him on a PTO to finish the season with the Phantoms as the year ends.

And worst case scenario if he looks good and you get on a deep playoff run ( and i realize alot has to change to even get to that point) worse comes to worse you could play him in a pinch but you would have to weigh him burning a year of his entry level deal if he plays.

Better than not having the option....but he could come in i think like Cale Makar did to help the Avs playoff push in 2018-19.

Just a thought.

He played about half a season but like Giroux once he showed he was ready to handle a heavier work load he got called up.

Leave the kid alone. Let him progress and dont rush it. Hopefully they have learned by now

Side note.... I think Ghost is showing some fire and his offense is on an upswing. He definetly will SHOOT the puck

would he be good in a bottom pair setting ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just a thought.

i dont think we are the only ones having defensive issues look at tampa, they lost to nashville, carolina just lost to detroit, boston having their struggles too like the scheduling for these teams arent very favorable because we are playing the same teams, that's not something that happens in a 82 season, plus covid and myers coming back from a rib injury.

i mean this team hasnt quit on the coach, that's why i say dont go to overraction with the coaching staff because this team has scored goals and come back, i understand fans want a perfect game and want to win a cup now but the fact is our goaltending hasnt played well either, i dont think we are going to win a cup if our goaltending wont hold up.  will it suck that we dont make the playoffs? yes, does it mean we have to blow it up coaching and roster and go to tank mode in the offseason? no

i think the management will evaluate everything, worst case that some of our d will get traded to upgrade our forwards because of giroux and jake regression and some of the forwards will be traded to improve the d. as far the goaltending is concerned, im not saying give up on hart but i really think we need a proven goalie and less the load off hart until he finds his game.

32 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Side note.... I think Ghost is showing some fire and his offense is on an upswing. He definetly will SHOOT the puck

would he be good in a bottom pair setting ?

I think yes, with the right partner.

To me it would make sense to keep him around to qb the powerplay.

He's pretty good keeping the puck in at the point and he gets his shot on net.

He does need a guy to be a better than average defender with him though.

Makes a lot of money for your #5 guy...

And I think his game is what it is, he's been in the league 6 years now, any improvements will be incremental. With the right mix of other players he is valuable.  He's not the 24 minute a night guy though. I think the team needs a steady, minute eating guy so if Ghost can be a part of a deal that fetches that player, I'd make the trade. 

Edited by mojo1917

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Leave the kid alone. Let him progress and dont rush it. Hopefully they have learned by now

I don't know if I think the Flyers would be rushing it, that's the question.

When I've watched York play in the world juniors and this season a few times for Michigan, he's stood out, like, always seems to have the puck, always seems to win the puck race, he makes good passes but can also skate it out of the zone on the breakout. 

He's looked like he's the best guy on the ice, most games. 

I don't know what determines the "readiness" for making the jump to the NHL, but he's clearly not going to be challenged at the NCAA level anymore. 

He's got the right mentality and seems to want the puck on his stick the way a true #1 does. The way Doughty, Keith (did), Josi and Hedman do...at Michigan he's looked like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He really hasn't and it pisses me off he has taken his foot off the pedal.

Now he isn't the only one but his game is what the Flyers need and lack....and he should be out there trying to show AV he needs to be pushed up the lineup and he instead looks like he is comfortable just showing up and going through the motions. It has to change or he needs to sit.

He is running out of time in my opinion with other prospects who are jumping at the bit to get in the lineup to show they can play too. So not sure how much rope he gets from AV.

In fairness,  how much of that is NAK and how much of that is Vigneault/Therrien? The thing that I hate about this coaching staff is that there are a number of young players in the lineup and every one of those coaches only deals well with veterans. We've been lucky with Farabee so far, but he's been the exception to the rule.  

Anyways, I hope they don't make the deal for Ekholm. They're more than an Ekholm away from contending.  There's some serious underlying issues with the club that needs to be addressed. 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Anyways, I hope they don't make the deal for Ekholm. They're more than an Ekholm away from contending

See and that is the rub it isn't all about contending this year so to speak but about getting the tutor for the kid to hopefully get the closer next year and the following years as well. He is worth the price to help in that area to get this team ready and help push them in that direction.

That is worth it....in fact almost priceless.

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Leave the kid alone. Let him progress and dont rush it.

I'm not saying rush him and just hand him an open invitations to any spot on the blueline he desires.

I am saying if he shows he is ready and earn said spot then i don't give a flying fcuk if he is 37 or 18 the blueline and especially Carter Hart need him if he can help.

Ghost looks solid on offense but good lawd he is terrible in his own end. So let's try and find someone who can actually help with offense and defense.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

See and that is the rub it isn't all about contending this year so to speak but about getting the tutor for the kid to hopefully get the closer next year and the following years as well. He is worth the price to help in that area to get this team ready and help push them in that direction.

That is worth it....in fact almost priceless.

It will only be worth it depending on the price and if we have to not only give up the players we trade for Ekholm ,but also leaving some good players unprotected for Seattle to take on top of that. The more  good young players we add to the unprotected list, the less chance  that they take Jake off our hands. The price is going up there are a lot of teams calling about Ekholm, Montreal is also interested. We are not gonna win this year, it’s stupid to overpay, when you are not close to a Cup. I would wait until the offseason rather than overpay in a bidding war at the deadline. Use the rest of this season to assess the players we have and decide who to keep and who you get rid of. I agree we need a good defenseman, but we can get one much cheaper in the off season.

Edited by RonJeremy

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know if I think the Flyers would be rushing it, that's the question.

When I've watched York play in the world juniors and this season a few times for Michigan, he's stood out, like, always seems to have the puck, always seems to win the puck race, he makes good passes but can also skate it out of the zone on the breakout. 

He's looked like he's the best guy on the ice, most games. 

I don't know what determines the "readiness" for making the jump to the NHL, but he's clearly not going to be challenged at the NCAA level anymore. 

He's got the right mentality and seems to want the puck on his stick the way a true #1 does. The way Doughty, Keith (did), Josi and Hedman do...at Michigan he's looked like that.

Lafreniere looked even better last year  in the WJs winning the tournament MVP as a 17 year old. He's struggling this year on the Rangers. I know York has a couple years on him, but D is also a tougher position to play. And I'd hate to bring any young kid into the zhitshow that's going on in Philly right now.

17 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The more  good young players we add to the unprotected list, the less chance  that they take Jake off our hands. 

I have laid this plan out. You either missed it or forgot it. You may lose a Lindblom or a NAK Hagg or even a Ghost.

But if they win a Cup in a year or two trust me it will be worth it. And that is the only way to measure any move. But you can protect Ekholm and the D men you want to keep.

You are going to lose a player there is no getting around it. Every move in the NHL is a risk.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

As we saw last night most of these young players we are relying on potential with them....potential in my eyes they are even close to fulfilling...so i am open to move them for ones i know will help and have already shown they can help. It is the price of doing business in the NHL.

The coffers in the system are choked full of prospects i am tired of waiting for something to happen this is a way of making something happen. I don't live in fear of something not working. I plan ahead and try my best to prevent that from happening. I pull the trigger in a second for Ekholm.

If you don't want to i am fine disagreeing. You have to give up something to get something.

I am good if this is our next Kimmo or Eric Desjardins for the 4 or 5 years.

Hell i would even be ok talking about any D man who finished -6 even.

As long as i have watched the Flyers i can't remember any duo ever finishing a combined -12.... that seem unreal.

I a tired of waiting...

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hell i would even be ok talking about any D man who finished -6 even.

As long as i have watched the Flyers i can't remember any duo ever finishing a combined -12.... that seem unreal.

I a tired of waiting...

I hear that,I agree we do need help on defense,  that's for sure.  I just feel this team has no chance this season, so there is no rush to over pay at the deadline when many teams  bidding will drive up the price. We are not on the cusp of greatness,  it doesn't make sense to buy at the deadline, if anything , we should be selling to give us more cap space and assets for a bigger trade or multiple trades..

If there is a fair deal to be had, then fine,  if not, then I would wait until the off season to make any deals, when the price will be more reasonable. We need to make more than one trade to fix this team, so why blow our assets for just one deal. We need a few franchise changing moves.

• Like 1