Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

If Fletcher wants to make a trade just to shake things up, Ellis or Gaudreau certainly would do just that.

I really don't see how either one of these guys helps solidify our defence and gives Hart the help he needs. Both these guys are on the small side and play an offensive game. Neither of them is going to help prevent goals. Sure if someone wants to take on Voraceks contract (good luck) for Gaudreau, but Konecny?!? Eff that. He's scoring the same ppg as Johnny Hockey (how come guys with that type of monicker are never that good?) while he's having a terrible year, he's younger, he's cheaper.  Or a Ghost + (nothing big) for Ellis (he of 2 g 7 a, as an offensive dman) then it's not bad. But I don't see either one of these guys fixing what ails the Flyers. It's just bringing in more of the same IMO.

• Good Post 1

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

If Fletcher wants to make a trade just to shake things up, Ellis or Gaudreau certainly would do just that.

I really don't see how either one of these guys helps solidify our defence and gives Hart the help he needs. Both these guys are on the small side and play an offensive game. Neither of them is going to help prevent goals. Sure if someone wants to take on Voraceks contract (good luck) for Gaudreau, but Konecny?!? Eff that. He's scoring the same ppg as Johnny Hockey (how come guys with that type of monicker are never that good?) while he's having a terrible year, he's younger, he's cheaper.  Or a Ghost + (nothing big) for Ellis (he of 2 g 7 a, as an offensive dman) then it's not bad. But I don't see either one of these guys fixing what ails the Flyers. It's just bringing in more of the same IMO.

IMHO, I pass on both Ellis and Gaudreau. Perhaps sign Gaudreau as a UFA if the number fits, absolutely no NMC. He has been a ghost in the playoffs, just like our #28. Ellis was a solid player, but he is worn out. His games played the past few years are the evidence. He played a lot of heavy minutes for the playoff Preds. They take their toll on undersized defencemen. I said it before, I'll say it again, I would prefer Ristolainen and Bennett. Bigger, faster, and a bit of nasty. Perhaps they could teach the rest of this powder puff group how to play like a man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Gaudreau.

If they want to work something out as Jake being the center piece going back then we can talk.

...otherwise just wait and try and sign him i guess...and yes no NMC or NTC.

17 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Bennett

Sam Bennett? Beau Bennett?

My best A/C is named Bennett but you don't want him playing hockey.

Would not mind seeing a guy with Ristolainen's attitude on the team. Myers has a lot of the tools but lacks the mean streak. 

I've seen a lot of internet talk about Ristolainen not being a smart player. Whenever I've watched he seems fine to me, he's hard to play against and that is something this team lacks at the moment.

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Would not mind seeing a guy with Ristolainen's attitude on the team. Myers has a lot of the tools but lacks the mean streak. 

I've seen a lot of internet talk about Ristolainen not being a smart player. Whenever I've watched he seems fine to me, he's hard to play against and that is something this team lacks at the moment.

I’d rather have him over an dman that has been discussed so far. He is a righty and still very young. Getting out of Buffalo would be like being paroled from prison. I am sure his play would even improve once he leaves that loser team. I read on Bleacher Report we may go after Marc Staal. He is ancient and washed up, instead of desperation trades can’t they just write off the season and make the proper trades when the time is right. Staal will probably be a flop.

43 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

He has been a ghost in the playoffs, just like our #28

I dont get this. Is he really that bad?

Below are his PO numbers. 2 appearances with zero goals. 2 were pretty good

Screenshot_20210324-111428_Chrome.jpg

Edited by CoachX

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I like Ristolainens snarl...but he does seem to take himself out of the play a lot chasing the hit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I read on Bleacher Report we may go after Marc Staal. 

Well his brother did play in Minnesota. And he grew up just north of Minnesota. And he's washed up. So both Fletcher and Homer can agree on this one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

All I know if Chuckles is planning on acquiring a vet defenseman Ekholm or Savard he needs to do it this week.

The reason being is the have two games vs the Sabres and then it gets brutal.

So they can make up ground facing these teams with regulation wins but it is going to be an uphill climb for sure.

And if they are going to get help they are going need it now before the gauntlet they are about to have to run.

Otherwise just take it on the chin lose these games (which is highly likely) and sell off as much as you can and get ready for the expansion draft and go into the offseason ready to rebuild then.

It always takes a few days to get a new body some time to digest what is expected and the system they are trying to implement.

They can't afford to wait till they are in the thick of battle to do this.

It needs to happen now.

Just now, CoachX said:

Like the one in Fletchers head?

That is a start or you could just use it as a bowling ball.

I'm not to optimistic something I like will happen...

...look no further than two moves I hated:

Resigning Braun to a two year deal.

And adding Gus as his Niskanen replacement...you know the guy who is a healthy scratch because he actually makes you miss Mcdud in his own end...

...never thought that was possible.

I give CF a pass because i think Nisky caught him off guard and left the team reeling. I think Braun, who appears to be well liked "in the room" was an attempt to stabilize. Gus was a last ditch effort based on availability,  over confidence,  and cap

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

give CF a pass because i think Nisky caught him off guard and left the team reeling.

No he didn't he told them at the exit reviews Chuckles told him to think about and let him no later.

He didn't heed his warning and got caught with his pants down missing out on some options that were available thus leading him to the panicked Braun and Gus signings.

Just sh Itty GMing if you ask me.

Now here we are one big ol huge mess.

Now how do they tunnel their way out of this?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No he didn't he told them at the exit reviews Chuckles told him to think about and let him no later.

He didn't heed his warning and got caught with his pants down missing out on some options that were available thus leading him to the panicked Braun and Gus signings.

I think there is a human element at play in that Niskanen situation that made making moves over the summer difficult.

I have heard repeatedly that Chuck thought Niskanen would reconsider and after some time off he would come back for the last year of his contract. That was real money Niskanen left on the table. 

So yes, kind of, caught with his pants down, but it's reasonable to also think the player was blowing off steam.

We weren't in the room when that conversation took place so no one but Chuck and Matt know "how things were left". 

The Braun signing wasn't terrible on it's own, combined with Gus though and there's no way to disagree that it's been a disaster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:
55 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think there is a human element at play in that Niskanen situation that made making moves over the summer difficult.

I have heard repeatedly that Chuck thought Niskanen would reconsider and after some time off he would come back for the last year of his contract.

It was Chuckles exact words.

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That was real money Niskanen left on the table. 

Sure but covid was going on and maybe he store away enough.

And you can't spend it if you die.

All water under the bridge at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Not disputing that, you see what I'm say too though, yes?

Yes.

But I completely disagree with the "Braun signing on it's own" was a bad move part.

Dude was done. Can not move worth a damn made Nick GrossmanN look fleet of foot.

In no way did I want him back.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Haha 1