Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

Like the one in Fletchers head?

Or Clarke's, or Scott's, or Holmgren's...sensing a pattern? All of them are stubborn as Hell, just like Snider, and they don't know..or maybe don't want to know what they don't know. In addition, that's a poor arse excuse that they don't communicate with their players..and didn't know that Niskanen was going to retire. Was there a team banquet that day, that kept them from knowing? Poor arse excuse.

Edited by FD19372

On 3/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, FD19372 said:

Now I hear that Fletcher is pursuing Ellis from the Preds, instead of Ekholm. We'll most certainly have to give up bigger pieces for him, but he seems to be a better fit for our defensive woes/needs. 

The move whatever is need to happen now.

The reason being is after the Sabres game you have the Isles and then two HUGE games vs the Bruins of which they need to win both.

Reason being is they only one point behind the Bruins however they have 3 games in hand but if you can win those two games in regulation we'll that is pretty much an 8 point swing in the Flyers favor.

So unless they are just giving up on the season they need to be pro active and help this team out roster wise.

The time to act is now.

The schedule is going to get brutal and they need defensive help quick.

I dont think a move is coming until we get close to the deadline. Amd i think thats because other teams are holding tight.  If im a gm, why do I want to help CF out? If the Flyers continue in this path, the closer it is to them being unable to make PO, the cheaper I can pick up assets they have.

The players have made this team roadkill, and other teams are waiting for them to start decaying, so they can pick the carcass clean

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont think a move is coming until we get close to the deadline. Amd i think thats because other teams are holding tight.  If im a gm, why do I want to help CF out? If the Flyers continue in this path, the closer it is to them being unable to make PO, the cheaper I can pick up assets they have.

The players have made this team roadkill, and other teams are waiting for them to start decaying, so they can pick the carcass clean

I am hoping the is the reason he hasn't done anything.

I mean you can't make some trade with you.

So if Chuckles still to his predicted timeliness of which he prefers to swing deals expect something around April 8th.

And we'll by that time he will more than likely be in purge mode.

Which I guess I can understand because by then you have given the players all the chances they needed to make this better.

And if he waits till address this in the offseason one is for certain all of the high paid players can't all come back.

No way.

Giroux, JVR, Hayes and Jake can all come back.

No way.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:24 AM, OccamsRazor said:

The move whatever is need to happen now.

What about in the offseason?

And what about this per Bill Metzler...

wheres the Seth Jones talk coming from? Speculation or actual rumor?
- PhillaBully

Actual rumor but one based on three huge assumptions:

1) The Blue Jackets can't get him to agree to an extension this offseason and do not want to risk another Panarin and Bobrovsky situation of him walking for nothing in the 2022 offseason.

2) He would be more agreeable to an extension here rather than testing the market.

3) The Flyers would offer the best trade package among teams that would put in offers.

That's a whole lot of ifs before something like that would be realistic. And just how much would have to go back the other way? A lot.

????????

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

- PhillaBully

1) The Blue Jackets can't get him to agree to an extension this offseason and do not want to risk another Panarin and Bobrovsky situation of him walking for nothing in the 2022 offseason.

2) He would be more agreeable to an extension here rather than testing the market.

3) The Flyers would offer the best trade package among teams that would put in offers.

That's a whole lot of ifs before something like that would be realistic. And just how much would have to go back the other way? A lot.

????????

I would love to have Jones on this team. I'm curious what it would take to get the job done given the circumstances, but he would be a fantastic add. What would it take to get a guy like him to want to sign here for some term is the big question. It's entirely possible he would want a contender, or something close to it at the very least.

I'm sure we could package something to get him. I'm just worried he wouldn't want to be here long term, and I definitely hope Fletch wouldn't make any kind of trade to get him unless he already has a guaranteed signing beforehand.

Furthermore, how much would be too much and for too long and with what clauses would it take to get this done? I'm having flashbacks to the Hayes incident, which is a contract we're all guaranteed to hate in very short order. Granted, imo Jones is a much better guy to lock in if possible than Hayes ever was, but there are limits.

Tricky situation for sure, but he would immediately be the best dman on the roster. So if there's any truth to this possibility at all, Fletch should absolutely be making calls.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

- PhillaBully

????????

Jones is a top 10 dman in the league. If he is gettable you get him. Simple. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

23 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Jones would take, at a minimum, York and a First, and i don't think that gets it done.

That is a good start I'm still pulling the trigger on it.

He is a 26 year old right hand shot who is everything we all dream Phil Myers would eventually turn into.

They can York and Andrea and a 1st for him if that is what they want.

If he becomes available. You do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

It's that feeling when #tfw you open a thread you haven't looked at and it's posts from March 1 and it's like a time machine back to when the Flyers were looking to be buyers...

:hocky:

haha. Well except that Jones still has a lot of years ahead of him. It’s not like getting an aging dman to shore us up for a playoff run. This is a guy who would be fantastic to have around for some number of years yet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elmatus said:

haha. Well except that Jones still has a lot of years ahead of him. It’s not like getting an aging dman to shore us up for a playoff run. This is a guy who would be fantastic to have around for some number of years yet. 

I was more referring to the first several pages on Why Ekholm...

That said (tl;dr) why is Columbus trading Jones?

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I was more referring to the first several pages on Why Ekholm...

That said (tl;dr) why is Columbus trading Jones?

He’s UFA and rumour has it he’s not willing to sign there again. Can’t say i blame him. 

Just now, elmatus said:

He’s UFA and rumour has it he’s not willing to sign there again. Can’t say i blame him. 

Jones has another year at $5.4M.

That said, what makes the Flyers a more attractive suitor?

Less accountability? :hocky:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yes and the reason they would look to trade him in the offseason.

I am sure they can speak with him to see if he would sign an extension before trading for him.

Otherwise it would be too much I guess to give up for a one year rental.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

It's that feeling when #tfw you open a thread you haven't looked at and it's posts from March 1 and it's like a time machine back to when the Flyers were looking to be buyers...

:hocky:

If you have to move 20 pieces (roster players, picks, prospects) to get 5 stallions you do it. The Flyers have to stop overrating their depth and make these moves. If it doesn't work out well, then its just more of the same crap they've been pedalling for most of the past 20 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, radoran said:

That said, what makes the Flyers a more attractive suitor?

Less accountability? :hocky:

yeah, this is definitely the big if. He may very well not be much more interested in being a Flyer right now than he is being a Jacket. 

Still, if the rumours are true that CLS is shopping him, Fletch better have his hand on the dial. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Aha, well, as long as there are "three huge assumptions" to make before something happens, it's pretty much a lock, right?

Let's hope he hasn't put the Flyers on his 10-team NT list.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

Aha, well, as long as there are "three huge assumptions" to make before something happens, it's pretty much a lock, right?

Let's hope he hasn't put the Flyers on his 10-team NT list.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Why exactly would Columbus trade Jones to a division rival?