Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I feel like NSH would want forwards coming back anyway, not so much other dmen. They may want something like Frost and change. Is that worth it? I dunno.

I could agree to this. And keep Sanheim and try and talk Seattle into something else when it get to that point.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Frost:   I'm not as high on him as I was previously, but it's really a shame he got hurt this year, because with them toying with Patrick on the wing, this would seem to be have been his year to show he can play center in this league (or move HIM to wing).   

Honestly, I don't see Frost involved in a trade like this anyway. For starters, Ekholm's value as a reasonably good top four dman is quite a bit more than an unproven mid-six potential playmaker. It wouldn't be enough, and I'm not sure I'd like what else would need to be sent their way to make up the difference.

My honest guess is a trade for Ekholm would involve a forward who is already in the league, so we can probably limit the list to: Giroux (as if), Voracek (won't happen either), Couts (hahahaha), TK (highly unlikely), Hayes (nada), JVR (highly doubt it).

None of those guys. I also doubt they'd ship Lindblom over, which essentially leaves Patrick, Farabee, and (maybe) Laughton. Would you folks be okay with either of those being sent over in a deal for Ekholm?

I suppose it's possible they would take someone like Ghost + Frost, which may be another thing to consider. In fact, of all the options I've noted, that may be the one I'd be most comfortable entertaining.

Edited by elmatus

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

None of those guys. I also doubt they'd ship Lindblom over, which essentially leaves Patrick, Farabee, and (maybe) Laughton. Would you folks be okay with either of those being sent over in a deal for Ekholm?

tell Laughton I will book a flight now and pick him up in the morning. He will have to do the driving though, I will be too hammered from celebrating

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

For my money, Farabee is untouchable.  The guy is going to be a star (full disclosure:   there were other people I wanted to pick in that draft and wasn't happy at the time.  I realized the next season that I was wrong).  

That leaves Patrick and Laughton.   Patrick is actually not playing horribly, though he couldn't find the net if he started out inside of it.      I'd move Laughton despite being one of the seeming few who actually likes what he brings.  

I still think the Raffl idea could work so long as it's supplemented with a pick or some other B prospect.

Of your list--and your reasoning for narrowing to those makes sense to me--I guess begrudgingly Laughton.  As another wise poster here said, "you have to give to get."

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

No offense, but you really are taking a page out of @CoachX's NAK dislike here.

Not really.

My player like that is Jake.

I like Sanheim he just doesn't fit for what i am trying to do on the backend. We may disagree there and that is fine Sanheim just reminds me of Coburn to much.

I can see Zamula replacing Sanheim soon anyways.

I want to add what Ekholm brings over what Travis does.

Ekholm will be even better when he can get away from Fabbro he reminds me of what Kimmo can do but with size.

I would do a Frost in place of Travis if it is possible. They may prefer a forward.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd move Laughton despite being one of the seeming few who actually likes what he brings.  

i'd like what he brings....if it was in a glass and had ice and bourbon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would do a Frost in place of Travis if it is possible. They may prefer a forward.

Yeah, I think you're right about the forward preference.   They're a mess up front but for the life of me I can't figure out why.    If they are going into rebuild mode, that will work.  But if they're looking to retool on the fly, I don't know that he fits that bill -- especially injured.

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

For my money, Farabee is untouchable. 

I'm with you. I would move Patrick for him. But it would be less with Patrick involved.

I don't want to give up on the kid but they are in a rebuild and want youth in return.

So i guess it would be Laughton to Nashville then. But i hate to trade Stache.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

For my money, Farabee is untouchable.  The guy is going to be a star (full disclosure:   there were other people I wanted to pick in that draft and wasn't happy at the time.  I realized the next season that I was wrong).  

I remember this, I also remember much gnashing of teeth when they took O'Brien a couple of picks later.

I remember thinking at the time I think JO'B is going to be the better of  the 2 players...and holy **** was I wrong.

Farabee has been excellent this year, got some man weight and strength worked on his shot. He is reminding me of a slightly slower version of Jake Guentzel. 

The puck kind of follows him...there is no way I trade that guy for what will most likely be a rental. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

But i hate to trade Stache.

the Stache rules.

I loved his answer in the presser

"it's staying for a long time, it's a lifestyle choice".

dude is pretty funny.

• Good Post 2

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

For my money, Farabee is untouchable.  The guy is going to be a star

Star eh?  🤨   I was tough on him in the beginning of the season and @flyercanuck said he was coming along nicely.  FC was right, I was wrong.  He is progressing better than I thought.   Star though?  I sure hope you are right.  He's got a shot that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Star eh?  🤨   I was tough on him in the beginning of the season and @flyercanuck said he was coming along nicely.  FC was right, I was wrong.  He is progressing better than I thought.   Star though?  I sure hope you are right.  He's got a shot that's for sure.

I like his release but I like lots else about his game, especially his speed and puck hounding. He's got a tenacity about him, and a compete level that I like a lot. I worry a little about him staying healthy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I remember this, I also remember much gnashing of teeth when they took O'Brien a couple of picks later.

I remember thinking at the time I think JO'B is going to be the better of  the 2 players...and holy **** was I wrong.

I wasn't one of those gnashing teeth.   Don't get me wrong, when I first saw the name I was like, "wait, who?"   Obviously, I had preferences at that pick.  But when I looked into scouting reports and explanation, etc., I was like, "yeah, okay.  You have the opportunity to gamble a little with your second pick in the first round."   

I think I wanted Rasmus Sandin with that pick--who by the way is the only player in the next 10 picks (I think) who has made it to the AHL, let alone the NHL (cup of coffee).  So, I'm not panicked yet about O'Brien's progress, but I'm doubting he turns out as well as Farabee.   But that's more about the height of the bar being set and less about O'Brien.   Time will tell, but he'll probably be another year or two before hitting Lehigh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I wasn't one of those gnashing teeth. 

No- not you, I think @BobbyClarkeFan16 had an actual stroke, or maybe it was @flyercanuck I remember the guys that really follow major junior were apoplectic about it. It was an off the board pick for that spot.  The Morin and Laughton picks caused a stir but the O'Brien pick really got people riled up.

Anyway, Farabee's play this year has made me feel foolish for being lukewarm to his selection.

@CoachX he is not a very big guy, (Farabee) you can start there...

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

No- not you,

Oh, I didn't think it was directed at me.   Since I'm wrong so much, I just figured I'd take the opportunity to point out when it's an instance where I'm only "probably wrong."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

No- not you, I think @BobbyClarkeFan16 had an actual stroke, or maybe it was @flyercanuck I remember the guys that really follow major junior were apoplectic about it. It was an off the board pick for that spot.  The Morin and Laughton picks caused a stir but the O'Brien pick really got people riled up.

Wasn't me. My only issue was Hextall reached a bit (I thought 2nd rounder). But after getting Farabee earlier I was ok with it.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Anyway, Farabee's play this year has made me feel foolish for being lukewarm to his selection.

Farabee plays a good game. He's going to continue to get better. I don't think he stands out at anything but he's got all the tools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

But don't hate him he was born to be a Flyer just look....

you misread my statement OC. I was saying I will find a reason to hate Farabee. I love this video, thanks. My kinda guy. However, he is firmly in the hate column due to playing for another team. If traded to us, I will immediately like him...until i come up with a reason to hate him

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

On 3/2/2021 at 1:05 PM, mojo1917 said:

I absolutely hated the pick then and I still hate the pick and there are several reasons why I hate the pick.

First, I hated the fact that O'Brien stuck to playing in a high school league that he absolutely dominated in. There was no challenge for him and he should have moved to the next level (USHL). I do remember that he played a handful of games at the USHL level and then when things got tough, he split back to the comforts of the Massachusetts High School Hockey League because it was 'easy'. Then, he goes to college, runs into injury and discipline issues and then he splits because it's 'tough' and goes to the BCHL, where he's significantly older than the rest of the players there and has a great year because it's 'easy'. Now he's in his second year of NCAA hockey and doing well because he's older and things are 'easier.' You see the trend here? He only excels when things are easy and the moment things get tough, he splits.

Second, there were better players available. I'm looking at players drafted after O'Brien and I shake my head that the Flyers could have had, especially where the Flyers had several needs and they took a swing at a guy who has never excelled at anywhere else but high school hockey. I'm thinking Jacob Bernard-Docker, Jett Woo or Nils Lundqvist would have made superb right handed D prospects in the pipeline. Or how about a guy like Isac Lundestrom at center or maybe a winger prospect like Dominik Bokk or Jonatan Berggren? That leaves me to point three.....

Third point is Hextall and Pryor tried playing "we're the smartest and edgiest GMs in the room" by selecting O'Brien when better players were available. They decided to throw caution to the wind and try to hit one out of the park by taking a risk on a player who has never challenged himself outside of his comfort level. This is the kind of risk you don't take in the first round and they basically pissed in the wind, which was incredibly unusual. If you looked at previous Hextall and Pryor picks, they drafted players who played a skilled, disciplined two-way game while challenging themselves to get better. This O'Brien pick wasn't that type of pick at all. They took a risk that they didn't need to take, not in the first anyways. 

I get it, I'm not a scout nor do I have any inside information. At the same time, I knew this pick was going to blow up. I called him the Mark Jankowski of the 2018 draft. It was a reach. An incredible reach to be exact and there was no need for that. And yeah, I openly admit that I'm still hot under the collar because if O'Brien makes it, you're looking at an upside of a 3rd liner with maybe 15 to 20 goal capability. Instead, we could have had a top 4 right handed defenseman capable of playing 20+ minutes a night and in all situations or we could have had some serious legitimate Swedes to play along side Lindblom. Hextall and Pryor blew it with this pick. 

• Good Post 3