Jump to content

Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Does that team become the Ollies Bargain Bin for NHL talent?

 

They don't have a defenseman of Ekholm's caliber.

 

There is a reason why I think he will more than likely be the crown jewel of the trade deadline...at least on defense.

 

Guys like him don't come available every year...so be the guy to make to bold move.

 

Be proactive. Not reactive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could always put him on waivers and let Hextall take him.

No offense, but you really are taking a page out of @CoachX's NAK dislike here.   It's okay, we all have that player.   From my POV, it's not substantiated, but again, we all have that player (or players....or coaches, in my case).    I think mine is Voracek.  V could have a 6 point game and I swear to you I will complain about the stupid pass that sent the puck the other way.

Who wouldn't love to see JVR score hat tricks by the shovelful against us with the Penguins!

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I see your point. 

I do.

 

My feeling about the team is they're at a tipping point. With the right moves, I don't know what they are, they could be good for next 6 to 10 years. 

I don't want to waste the assets and cause that window to shrink. We've waited for a while for this team to be decent, and they are, spending the assets on hand to open the winning window and keep it open requires more wisdom than I have. 

I seem to remember a few other times when the team was 85% built, but short sighted moves derailed the progress.

I'm a little gun shy from those experiences.

Let me ask you this...

 

You think as is, the team will be good for the "next 6 to 10 years"

 

What assets do you see that will make this team better than just "good"?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What age was Kimmo when he started his Flyer career?

 

32.

 

And he played 7 years with the Flyers.

 

Maybe this works out.

Exactly... and if you can get 5 years out of Ekholm at his current effectiveness, versus hanging onto a guy with OBVIOUS issues already...for too long, why wouldn't you move Patrick. I choose helping the likes of Provy, Sanheim and all the other young defensemen on this team, over waiting for one POTENTIALLY talented young center in Nolan Patrick. It's a team game, and the defense needs that veteran. Do the deal.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Exactly... and if you can get 5 years out of Ekholm at his current effectiveness, versus hanging onto a guy with OBVIOUS issues already...for too long, why wouldn't you move Patrick. I choose helping the likes of Provy, Sanheim and all the other young defensemen on this team, over waiting for one POTENTIALLY talented young center in Nolan Patrick. It's a team game, and the defense needs that veteran. Do the deal.

Exactly

 

The defense in front of Hart has to be stabilized.

 

Priority 1

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@OccamsRazor

I don't dislike the player.

The expansion draft, his contract situation, the potential for a few more years of a flat salary cap all make a move like this feel more risky than I'd like it to be. 

If it were we trade for the guy he signs an extension and Seattle doesn't cherry pick him then it would be far easier a sell for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

versus hanging onto a guy with OBVIOUS issues already...for too long

 

Exactly my gut tells me now the longer he plays and shows what we see now the further and further his value drops.

 

I would love to be dead wrong and next week he blows the doors off of us all but I just can't see it.

 

I just don't see anything in his game that says I want to prove I am the best young forward on this team and I want to show them I deserve that #2 center spot.

 

Nothing I am sorry. I call it like I see it.

 

So I trade him now while his value is at it's highest....because if you wait till this time next year you ain't getting shat for him except a Hagg or Gustafsson type defenseman for him.

 

You're still going to have to send something with him I'm not saying a straight up trade Patrick is a huge risk for the other team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Exactly

 

The defense in front of Hart has to be stabilized.

 

Priority 1

 

Yes it is the equivalent of giving Wentz the Oline WRs and running game he needs to be successful.

 

Otherwise these Philly fans will be wanting to run Carter Hart out of town.

 

Hell I have already seen where they are wanting to keep playing Elliott because Hart has struggled some.

 

Get this kid the pieces he needs to succeed.

 

Stop waiting for some magic beans they planted and hope to sprout.

 

Today still counts.

 

 

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

Exactly my gut tells me now the longer he plays and shows what we see now the further and further his value drops.

 

I would love to be dead wrong and next week he blows the doors off of us all but I just can't see it.

 

I just don't see anything in his game that says I want to prove I am the best young forward on this team and I want to show them I deserve that #2 center spot.

 

Nothing I am sorry. I call it like I see it.

 

So I trade him now while his value is at it's highest....because if you wait till this time next year you ain't getting shat for him except a Hagg or Gustafsson type defenseman for him.

 

You're still going to have to send something with him I'm not saying a straight up trade Patrick is a huge risk for the other team.

Absolutely. He has to be in a package deal, at this point. No way you get more than a 3rd round pick for him, straight up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Let me ask you this...

 

You think as is, the team will be good for the "next 6 to 10 years"

 

What assets do you see that will make this team better than just "good"?

I like the idea of having a pair of high potential defensemen in the pipeline.

York and Zamula

I like Bobby Brink's potential, I like how Tyson Forester and Zayde Wisdom's first crack at pro hockey is going.

Forster when he's played hasn't looked out of place, Wisdom is making the most of his shot.

I like Issac Ratcliffe's potential, I think Tanner Laczynski could be a bottom 6 guy with good skill. 

I like Koneckny, Lindblom, NAK, Farrabee. There are 3 young guys on the D currently that can still improve. 

There's a lot to like in the system that makes me think turning the roster over will not be terrible. 


I have questions about Frost, he has high skill but hasn't shown out in the NHL, his injury was a freak thing, but that's a guy who has been highly touted that hasn't played much in the NHL and will he? I have the same questions about him as I do Patrick. If there are two maybe one turns out okay? you know?

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I have questions about Frost, he has high skill but hasn't shown out in the NHL, his injury was a freak thing, but that's a guy who has been highly touted that hasn't played much in the NHL and will he? I have the same questions about him as I do Patrick. If there are two maybe one turns out okay? you know?

 

I have seen way more passion and hustle from Frost than I have ever seen from Nolan.

 

Sure I have concerns for him but it is no where the same in my mind.

 

 

Frost just needs to get stronger so he can handle the rigors of the NHL but the tools are there.

 

Patrick not so much.

 

Frost needs to hit the weights get him a good nutrition program going which I have to assume he has already been doing before the injury now we just have to wait to see the results of his hard work.

 

Morgan too is still young only 21.

 

He is why I am comfortable to moving Patrick.

 

Frost will be a Flyer full time by next year I know it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

I know this will bring all the haters from the Fly guy lovers for this comment but I would put Nolan Patrick on the block for Ekholm.

 

Sorry I am ready to pull the plug on the kid.

 

Something there is just missing with him when I watch him. And it isn't because he hasn't played in awhile because in all actuality he skated this past summer and in the winter too with a group of former players mostly X-Flyer Ryan White.

 

It's more than that. I just don't see any passion or want in his face when he is out there. Sure there is spurts of it but the fire is gone. It looks to me like when you're doing something for someone else it's like he is going through all this for his parents or someone else who is pushing him.

 

It's my read on the kid so maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

 

So yes I would make him the center piece for Ekholm since the Preds need forward depth.

 

But with him I can't really send much more for a possible guy you will have to offer Seattle something not to select him.

 

Maybe a 4th round pick that is it. It is a high risk reward for the Preds but they will get the younger player with upside potential but I know is one hit away from retirement. I get it. But it is time to move on I say especially with him also needing a new contract too.

 

So go ahead mojo and pods let me hear it I'm ready drinking my coffee and it's early and I'm stuck at work till 7.

 

I really don't think Patrick ever wanted to be in Philadelphia.  As for an Ekholm move,  if the Flyers trade for him, that means the Flyers have to protect him and expose one of their other defensemen or they protect their four defensemen and potentially lose Konecny (Giroux and Hayes have to be protected,  Couturier will be protected and that leaves one more spot -> not sure if Farabee has to be protected). That's a really risky proposition to do. Maybe trade Patrick and Ghost to Nashville for Ekholm and a prospect forward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

if the Flyers trade for him, that means the Flyers have to protect him and expose one of their other defensemen or they protect their four defensemen and potentially lose Konecny

 

Not necessarily Chuckles can always work something out for them not to take him.

 

There could be options.

 

And also by then we would have a better idea of what he can bring and help out with.

 

Teams did it with Vegas.

 

So there would be options it isn't set in stone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Maybe trade Patrick and Ghost to Nashville for Ekholm and a prospect forward

 

This could be an option too.

 

But maybe you take away an option that Seattle would like in Ghost too.

 

But surely there are options on the table to go get this guy because damn I would really really hate to have to play the Bruins or the Penguins with this guy guarding their blue line for the next two years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who are we kidding here they ain't getting Ekholm it makes to much sense and to good to be true, they will let him go to a rival I know it.

 

Watch Ron Hextall go out and make a move like that just to keep the Flyers from getting him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who are we kidding here they ain't getting Ekholm it makes to much sense and to good to be true, they will let him go to a rival I know it.

 

Watch Ron Hextall go out and make a move like that just to keep the Flyers from getting him.

That would be the only reason, because otherwise, it really isn't Hextall's MO.

 

And I'm guessing he was brought in specifically with the idea of going young

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

That would be the only reason, because otherwise, it really isn't Hextall's MO.

 

And I'm guessing he was brought in specifically with the idea of going young

 

 

Yep I imagine he will have the big task of trading Malkenstein soon for a few picks and prospects soon maybe even this offseason.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And I'm guessing he was brought in specifically with the idea of going young

 

 

Well he has his work cut out for him.

 

All he has this draft is a 2nd a 5th and their 7th along with the Blue Jackets and Ducks 7th round picks.

 

Yikes. I smell a fire sell coming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Who are we kidding here they ain't getting Ekholm it makes to much sense and to good to be true, they will let him go to a rival I know it.

 

I expect the Bruins will make a pitch, but I think they're waiting to see what happens with Eichel in Buffalo because I think that's who they want. 

 

Flyers could get lucky on Ekholm if they play their cards right.  Now,  does this mean Vigneault and company will get rid of that stupid left handed - right handed pairings they use?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Honestly, I move on if I can.   I'd prefer to get something for him.  If Nashville wants him for Ekholm, that's fine.  I know some people's heads here will explode and I'm completely sympathetic with that.   I know the Flyers history of trading young potential for rentals.   If my suspicion is right and it's still medical, then it's potentially fixable and we will regret it.   If I'm not and what we're seeing is what we're getting, then let's get something else.   I would hope the front office knows the difference.

 

But in any case, I've been hesitant because of lessons learned with Couturier.    And he's still only 22, was brought up entirely too early, and he's missed significant time even before he was drafted.      We've talked about Jay 0'Brien elsewhere, but I think this is actually a bigger Hextall/Pryor "oops."      In any case, I don't perceive Patrick as being any potential repeat of Couturier's curve.   Even without offense, Coots was clearly smart and was extremely effective defensively.      Patrick?   Yeah, I'm sorry but I'm moving into the "get what you can now" camp.

To shake up Patrick a little bit, they should send him to the Phantoms for a 10 game stretch and make sure he gets lots of ice time,  if he can’t put up some big numbers  ,then keep him there until he does.  You gotta light a fire under him, hopefully he plays well, gains confidence and comes back a better player. He has been  virtually invisible. How many chances has he created for himself or his line mates, how many shots on goal has he gotten per game?  Sending him down won’t hurt the team because he is all but useless at this point.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well he has his work cut out for him.

 

All he has this draft is a 2nd a 5th and their 7th along with the Blue Jackets and Ducks 7th round picks.

 

Yikes. I smell a fire sell coming.

One of the reasons Rutherford isn't there is he was trying to trade the Breck girl...er Kris Letang, he does have great hair...

I digress.

So I wonder which of the big 3 gets turned into 'the future"?

 

The logical play is they move Malkenstien, does he get all the return they'll need? 

The picks they've made all seem to pan out pretty well. The team in WB/S is always competitive, those guys seamlessly integrate into the bottom 6 at least.

I think the dynamics of that situation are more tricky than we can imagine.

 

Does Hextall pull a Slats and trade Crosby instead.?

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I expect the Bruins will make a pitch, but I think they're waiting to see what happens with Eichel in Buffalo because I think that's who they want.

This is interesting.

I was expecting their d-corps to be a little depleted this season but so far, in my limited attention those guys have played pretty well 1-6.

Is there an injury I don't know about?

I'm curious why you think this, other than, he's kind of their type of player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now,  does this mean Vigneault and company will get rid of that stupid left handed - right handed pairings they use?

 

I don't see how he has no choice since he only has two right hand shots.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

He has been  virtually invisible. How many chances has he created for himself or his line mates, how many shots on goal has he gotten per game?  

 

Well for starters he has gone 13 games without so much as an assist and is -7.

 

Nice stat line. Basically a boat anchor it looks like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is interesting.

I was expecting their d-corps to be a little depleted this season but so far, in my limited attention those guys have played pretty well 1-6.

Is there an injury I don't know about?

I'm curious why you think this, other than, he's kind of their type of player.

 

Boston has been laying in wait for Jack Eichel for some time.  There were reports that they had always had an interest in Eichel and felt that he's the perfect replacement for Bergeron when he calls it a career and that he'd thrive there. He's also a Massachusetts boy,  so why not bring home the proverbial son. Don't be surprised that if Eichel makes a trade demand known,  Boston ends up putting together the winning package. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

 

Teams did it with Vegas.

 

So there would be options it isn't set in stone.

 

 I guess. Though I really don't want to be part of "make Seattle as great as Vegas".

 

 Imagine this scenario...we get Ekholm, who decides to check out the FA market after a season and a bit in Philly...and Patrick turns out to be a good players for the next dozen years for the Kraken. As does who/whatever we send for them to NOT take so and so. And if it's to NOT take a Konecny, it's going to be a 1st and something good. 

 

 You guys are all looking at the doom and gloom side of Patrick and the best case scenario of Ekholm. I'm a Flyer fan...and I know that likely isn't the reality. Maybe it is, but maybe the above happens. 

 

 If the expansion draft wasn't happening, this might make more sense to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...