Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

4 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

28 would be an excellent first captain of the Kraken. So much alliteration. Kraken Captain Claude in coffee capital.

Well first off he would have to ok that move. Which i can't see him signing off on.

I think if you want to move him the best chance you would have is sending him home to Ottawa which once again he may not want any part of that dumpster fire either.

My pure fantasy trade would go down as such.

Ekholm (3.75m)

Granlund (3.75m)

for

Jake Voracek (8.25m)

David Kase  (760K)

3rd rounder

I would love love love this trade. Did i mention i would love this trade???

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My pure fantasy trade would go down as such.

Ekholm (3.75m)

Granlund (3.75m)

for

Jake Voracek (8.25m)

David Kase  (760K)

3rd rounder

I would love love love this trade. Did i mention i would love this trade???

That's a great hockey trade, but  Nashville will probably be looking for picks, prospects and salary relief.  I'm not sure they can take on another contract like Voracek without moving someone else. All these clubs that are in cap trouble and tanking in the standings,  I think low ball offers are the best way to go. Fact is, the teams they're trading with are taking on their salary issues, so them getting relief should be considered a big part of any trade.  

8 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's a great hockey trade, but  Nashville will probably be looking for picks, prospects and salary relief.  I'm not sure they can take on another contract like Voracek without moving someone else.

Yeah i know that is why i called it a pure fantasy trade....we couldn't get that lucky to move that contract.

19 hours ago, FD19372 said:

image.png.eced8b156afc389b5fce08709bb1140c.png

Do you do this deal? I would pull the trigger, just based on their lapses in their own zone, and number of times they get pinned there. They miss a stabiliznng veteran presence back there. Maybe Fletcher can sweeten the deal and get Jamkrok or Granlund in return, as well.

Did you come up with this yourself or from Eklund?? I just seen this on his board. Just wondering.

19 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Jamrock is an awesome name.

It is  Calle Jarnkrok.

I would prefer him over Ganlund just because he has more versatility and cheaper at 2 mill and is on the book for the next year so he can be exposed and if not taken could replace a Raffl or Laughton for the bottom 6.

He put up 15 goals and 34 points on a better Preds squad last year.

And he is more physical than Granlund.

But some salary like Ghost may have to go the other way in the package to be able to afford him and Ekholm.

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Did you come up with this yourself or from Eklund?? I just seen this on his board. Just wondering.

No. It's Eklund's. I just think that, for a change, one of his rumors makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Just now, FD19372 said:

No. It's Eklund's. I just think that, for a change, one of his rumors makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Yes it does.

And the only reason you would get Ekholm for Patrick is because of Patrick's potential that everyone is talking about. Because man if you at anything else like say production than well even Laughton and Raffl are more productive than he is...let that sink in.

And you and i are on the same page about this so this is for everyone really.

That is huge risk for the Preds but it also does have a chance to look great for them and that upside that @flyercanuck mentioned is legit and sure it could look bad if in a few years Patrick is one of the top forwards in the NHL.

I completely understand this but to me this doesn't seem like a Patrick Sharp trade blunder because even back then i saw potential in Sharp.

But i just don't see any fire in Patrick's play or body language.

And as even @BobbyClarkeFan16 eluded too it could very well be that Patrick just isn't excited to be in Philly. He could be dead on with this.

I am just like at a point like with JVR back in the day think he could use a change of scenery.

And this time i would take a Ekholm back in return for that risk because Ekholm looks like what the Flyer defensive kids need now.

I mean i don't know how you even put a price on Ek being able to maybe help the big 3 reach their potential maybe even quicker.

And it is not lost on me that i know Patrick missed a lot of time and just getting back into things.

But my gut tells me to move on now than signing him to some extension and he looking even worse than he does now in another year, which is very hard to do considering he hasn't even snag so much as a point in the last 14 games and is -7 during that span.

Make the trade now and run with it....before maybe they realized the Flyers fleeced them.

Just my honest opinion on it and yes i know i could be eating crow in a few years and if it comes i will own it...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it does.

And the only reason you would get Ekholm for Patrick is because of Patrick's potential that everyone is talking about. Because man if you at anything else like say production than well even Laughton and Raffl are more productive than he is...let that sink in.

And you and i are on the same page about this so this is for everyone really.

That is huge risk for the Preds but it also does have a chance to look great for them and that upside that @flyercanuck mentioned is legit and sure it could look bad if in a few years Patrick is one of the top forwards in the NHL.

I completely understand this but to me this doesn't seem like a Patrick Sharp trade blunder because even back then i saw potential in Sharp.

And as even @BobbyClarkeFan16 eluded too it could very well be that Patrick just isn't excited to be in Philly. He could be dead on with this.

I am just like at a point like with JVR back in the day think he could use a change of scenery.

And this time i would take a Ekholm back in return for that risk because Ekholm looks like what the Flyer defensive kids need now.

I mean i don't know how you even put a price on Ek being able to maybe help the big 3 reach their potential maybe even quicker.

And it is not lost on me that i know Patrick missed a lot of time and just getting back into things.

But my gut tells me to move on now than signing him to some extension and he looking even worse than he does now in another year, which is very hard to do considering he hasn't even snag so much as a point in the last 14 games and is -7 during that span.

Make the trade now and run with it....before maybe they realized the Flyers fleeced them.

Just my honest opinion on it and yes i know i could be eating crow in a few years and if it comes i will own it...

Nashville has good centers, BUT they are getting older (Granlund and Johanssen are 29) and it very well might (and probably SHOULD) appeal to them to want a young center like Patrick in return.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Nashville has good centers

Sure but Duchene is on IR for about 4 weeks.

Granlund is a UFA and you could swap Granlund for Patrick at the number two spot in the lineup.

I mean it would be nice piece in their rebuild if he pans out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it does.

Though neither one showed that production at Patricks age. 

I've never expected him to be a top forward in the NHL. His potential is 2nd line centre. 

Same as with Laughton and Raffl...Patrick wasn't showing much at 22 years old. (he had 7 points, followed by 8 the next season)

I agree. But my point is I'd like to see him fully recovered before we write him off. 

Philly may not be the premier franchise it once was, but it's still a pretty good place to play hockey. 

Again, I'd like him on Philly. I just don't like the cost you guys are throwing around. 

No offence, but it wasn't that long ago you and I had this back and forth about Bryz. I think your gut was pretty wrong then. That doesn't make it wrong now, but it doesn't make it right either. 

I'd bet there are plenty of teams willing to take a chance on Nolan Patrick. I guess we'll find out soon enough if Flyers brass feel like he's worth the patience. If Ekholm ends up being the return, they could certainly have done worse.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Nashville has good centers,

No, they really really don't. I want nothing at all to do with Johanssen, Duchene, or Granlund.   I wouldn't trade a glass of water for a single one of them.  It's their centers that are their problem.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Granlund is a UFA and you could swap Granlund for Patrick at the number two spot in the lineup.

I'd find a bridge.  This would be horrible.  Stay away.  I wouldn't trade Gus for him.   And I can't stand Gus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is  Calle Jarnkrok.

I would prefer him over Ganlund just because he has more versatility and cheaper at 2 mill and is on the book for the next year so he can be exposed and if not taken could replace a Raffl or Laughton for the bottom 6.

He put up 15 goals and 34 points on a better Preds squad last year.

And he is more physical than Granlund.

But some salary like Ghost may have to go the other way in the package to be able to afford him and Ekholm.

Sheesh,  I was just looking for an opportunity to rep for Jr Gong.

I would not want Grandlund. 

Every time I hear his name it seems to be surrounded by the words , underwhelming, disappointing, much maligned.

So Jarnkrok would be my preference too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Though neither one showed that production at Patricks age.

If living in the now. Flyers have plenty of youth and potential in the pipeline.

The blueline needs help now. Maybe Patrick can coach Ivan, Myers and Sanheim on the ice.

No forget that best he can do is some how scoring a point some how some way.

I've never expected him to be a top forward in the NHL. His potential is 2nd line centre. 

Hhhmmm well that is an issue right there. I guess i must be the only one who expects a 2nd overall pick to be a top line center. Foolish me.

But right now he isn't even a good 4th line center.

I just don't like the cost you guys are throwing around. 

I get it and i would love for them to take something less....and if they would i would be ecstatic.

And if they do take something less....myself i would still look to trade Patrick later maybe next year.

No offence, but it wasn't that long ago you and I had this back and forth about Bryz. I think your gut was pretty wrong then. That doesn't make it wrong now, but it doesn't make it right either. 

That was more just a fart that needed to work its way out.

But those two are completely different issues and one was on another team and was is here. 

I'd bet there are plenty of teams willing to take a chance on Nolan Patrick. I guess we'll find out soon enough if Flyers brass feel like he's worth the patience. If Ekholm ends up being the return, they could certainly have done worse.

And you could be right but i have like Ekholm's game from a distance for a long time in fact would have loved for the Flyers to draft a defenseman with his talents and yet they haven't. However i can see Myers with the right encouragement upping his game to that level.

And i am not aware of any defensemen around the NHL on the trade block but ME is.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'd find a bridge.  This would be horrible.  Stay away.  I wouldn't trade Gus for him.   And I can't stand Gus.

Yeah really ok well i would rather have Jarnkrok anyways.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I would not want Grandlund. 

Every time I hear his name it seems to be surrounded by the words , underwhelming, disappointing, much maligned.

So Jarnkrok would be my preference too.

Got it and i agree they can keep him and they may prefer to keep him since they can walk away at the end of the season and Jarnkrok is on the books for one more year.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, mojo1917 said:

'goddammit why did we trade that kid for X" though.

CoachX? hell yes! make that trade. TWICE!. My value will never be higher, you'll like what I bring, and I'm a good guy to have in the room. Let's not focus on how you can time me end to end with a sundial, or that I don't know what side of the puck to shoot. But I'm affordable

• Haha 1

Same as with Laughton and Raffl...Patrick wasn't showing much at 22 years old. (he had 7 points, followed by 8 the next season)

best season pt totals from these two, 32 and 31. Neither was a number #2. If that Patricks ceiling, then we already have enough players filling this role

I hope this is true. If so, Fletch should be getting cauliflower ear, working thise lines for a trade

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

If that Patricks ceiling, then we already have enough players filling this role

So you're all set to say, yep that guy's as good as he's going to be at 22?

I don't think that's wise, and I know some of what you're saying is to promote discussion, but I don't think anyone who is advocating for letting the kid develop some more is hoping he's topping out at 30 points.