Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

So you're all set to say, yep that guy's as good as he's going to be at 22?

I don't think that's wise, and I know some of what you're saying is to promote discussion, but I don't think anyone who is advocating for letting the kid develop some more is hoping he's topping out at 30 points.

It's almost like we didn't just go through this with Couturier. 

I don't think that's wise, and I know some of what you're saying is to promote discussion, but I don't think anyone who is advocating for letting the kid develop some more is hoping he's topping out at 30 points.

Im set to accept that he has value as trade bait, at 22, and I wouldnt blink an eye if he brought back a valuable player that could offer more than he does

If traded, I don't think there will ever be regrets

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It's almost like we didn't just go through this with Couturier. 

I was right about Couturier. I have no idea what I said, but Im sure it turned out to be true

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

But unlike Couturier,  Nolan Patrick was given great linemates and better scoring opportunities.  I don't remember Patrick ever being given Maxime Talbot or Jody Shelley or a done Matt Read as his linemates. 

• Like 1

Just imagine if the Flyers' braintrust had drafted Heiskanen or Makar instead of Patrick?  Top pairing of Provy and either of those two would've been lethal.  Instead we got Scott Laughton 2.0.  Snore.

23 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Just imagine if the Flyers' braintrust had drafted Heiskanen or Makar instead of Patrick?  Top pairing of Provy and either of those two would've been lethal.  Instead we got Scott Laughton 2.0.  Snore.

Hind-sight is never wrong.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Poconono said:

Don’t insult Laughton like that, at this point Laughton has scored a hat trick, had two clutch assists in the previous game and always works hard. Patrick can’t even muster up the hustle to even get a shot on goal 

53 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Patrick can’t even muster up the hustle to even get a shot on goal 

Not sure if you knew this or was just making a joke. But this is very true and part of my concern.

Zero shots this past game and only two over the previous.

But only 9 shots in his past 12 friggin games.

And 6 of those 12 games he didn't even register a shot on goal at all.

And in 5 of the other 12 games he only had 1 shot on goal.

Sorry bro for the 2nd overall pick who is 22 years old and 167 games under his belt that is pathetic.

This kid comes out on the ice skates real hard a few times circles skates around some more and then just heads to the bench like he is stuck forever in the morning skate mode...

...when is he going to show some urgency in his game, you know like he gives a f**k???

Asking for friend....i don't know how many games and points they need to lose before they go ahead and pull the damn trigger on the Ekholm trade....go get this dude points are a wasting...

You should see the Patrick defenders on other boards.  They blame the coaching staffs,  Patrick's absence last year, poor usage,  etc... for his lack of development.  He's been in the league now for awhile. 5 points in 22 games is not acceptable. It's time to move on from Patrick and find someone else who can fill his role.

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

You should see the Patrick defenders on other boards.  They blame the coaching staffs,  Patrick's absence last year, poor usage,  etc... for his lack of development.  He's been in the league now for awhile. 5 points in 22 games is not acceptable. It's time to move on from Patrick and find someone else who can fill his role.

Oh i know bro hell we have them here too...

...forever waiting for this affluent Canadian white boy to give a f**k about his supposed profession....hey but wait one day....one day he will skate hard and really get after it....one day...

...because you know he was the 2nd overall pick one time...GTFOH trade this dude ASAP for something that can help.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

.forever waiting for this affluent Canadian white boy to give a f**k about his supposed profession

Is he from a rich family?

While it is an excuse, I think it was difficult to know how his migraine condition affected his play prior to being diagnosed.

The question being: was the reason he was underwhelming because his head felt like it would explode some days?

Then once diagnosed and treated would the potential be realized?

I don't think this is an unreasonable hypothesis.  It is why I have been willing to be patient. 

So far it's not looking great. To be patient is to suffer. If the kid is part of a move to right the ship, I hope it is successful. 

I would be interested to see how teams have reacted/rebounded from having covid positive players and missing two weeks.

I think the answer would be it takes a minute to stabilize afterwards. Are we seeing some covid hang-over from our group?

Maybe that's the change, coughing the residual crap out of their lungs and getting healthy, hopefully the coronary inflammation that is an occasional side effect isn't present. 

This season could slip away if somethings don't change. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Is he from a rich family?

Not that i am aware of it was just a comment he reminds me of a few of my friends in high school i grew up with who were...they just didn't give a sh it about anything always had anything they wanted and well to be honest i see some of it in his facial expressions and i know that isn't fair but when i am watching him in my disgust with this team i unfarily think of that watching him (i blame the bourbon).

So i just put it out there to say...for all i know he could come from a hard working blue collar family like i came from he just doesn't act like from his mannerisms. As i said it might be unfair.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

To be patient is to suffer.

Oh there has been plenty of that with this team and well he is feeling the heat from some of unrighfully so. But i think he needs a change of scenery to wake him up.

And i am at the point of aqueous. I just don't want to fall further farther down the standings i mean a week or so ago they were sitting 2nd in the metro and now have fallen to 5th and yeah i know they have games in hand but we all know it is very hard to make up ground these days in the standings.

So the time to act is now. It ain't going to fix itself. The putrid special team well that is whole new can of worms but if it is Ekholm he could help on the PK and just help to ease the burden of Ivan and Hart for sure so why wait.

In fact i am tired to no end of talking about the same stuff every day like a parrot (and i don't mean this towards you just the team in general).

I want a change. It is needed to many damn passengers on this ride.

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I would be interested to see how teams have reacted/rebounded from having covid positive players and missing two weeks.

And i who consider this but after what i seen with this group to end the playoffs last year that excuse is lost on me....the issues with this group is still there even with the addition of Oskar and Patrick.

15 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This season could slip away if somethings don't change. 

Bro we are watching right now before out eyes....and i just can't stand to watch it happen anymore.

How long can i/we stand and scream at the TV screen for these motherf**kers to SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK??? 

Well i can answer for my self.....no more if i am home i will maybe put the game on but i will find something else to do.

Or like lately just help the wife finish up watching the Deadwood series....and i am looking forward to the movie to end it.

I would suggest finding something else to do too unless you like jacking up the ol blood pressure before bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure if you knew this or was just making a joke. But this is very true and part of my concern.

Zero shots this past game and only two over the previous.

But only 9 shots in his past 12 friggin games.

And 6 of those 12 games he didn't even register a shot on goal at all.

And in 5 of the other 12 games he only had 1 shot on goal.

Sorry bro for the 2nd overall pick who is 22 years old and 167 games under his belt that is pathetic.

This kid comes out on the ice skates real hard a few times circles skates around some more and then just heads to the bench like he is stuck forever in the morning skate mode...

...when is he going to show some urgency in his game, you know like he gives a f**k???

Asking for friend....i don't know how many games and points they need to lose before they go ahead and pull the damn trigger on the Ekholm trade....go get this dude points are a wasting...

I have noticed that about him since he first came up. There is not an ounce of grit ,determination or urgency in his game. I think he is a psychological weakling, he plays a very timid game. He seems very soft, he does not battle hard or go to the net , he plays a perimeter game. Is it because he’s afraid to get hurt, I don’t know, those of you who watched him in junior, was he more aggressive and assertive?  Patrick is not a small guy, but in his mind he is. Patrick has a much higher skill level and is much bigger than Laughton, but Laughton is more successful because has the determination that Patrick is lacking. We need to send him down to the AHL and get him on track. We have had guys before who were in terrible slumps, but they were creating chances and playing hard, and you knew it was a matter of time before they would start scoring . I don’t see that at all with Patrick.  At this point I would rather hav Zac Rinaldo than Patrick , at least his hits were  exciting .

44 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I have noticed that about him since he first came up. There is not an ounce of grit ,determination or urgency in his game. I think he is a psychological weakling, he plays a very timid game. He seems very soft, he does not battle hard or go to the net , he plays a perimeter game

Completely agree and if you and i see this you know the scouts from other teams do.

So his value is very very low.

46 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

determination

And sadly this is something you just can't teach.

47 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We need to send him down to the AHL and get him on track.

Not sure but i think he would require waivers to be able to be sent down....which of course someone will claim, otherwise yes he does need some seasoning in the A.

48 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I don’t see that at all with Patrick.

Yep and here we are not having a clue what to do next....i do not envy Chuckles.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, mojo1917 said:

We've waited for a while for this team to be decent, and they are, spending the assets on hand to open the winning window and keep it open requires more wisdom than I have. 

Zayde is on the way! 😉 

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Completely agree and if you and i see this you know the scouts from other teams do.

So his value is very very low.

And sadly this is something you just can't teach.

Not sure but i think he would require waivers to be able to be sent down....which of course someone will claim, otherwise yes he does need some seasoning in the A.

Yep and here we are not having a clue what to do next....i do not envy Chuckles.

Columbus is looking for a center and they have a solid dman, Savard who is a pending UFA, I know nothing about him, is he worth trading for. It might be a fair deal a pending UFA for a ?  Center that missed a year. Maybe the Flyers can request to speak to his agent and see what their chances are in re-signing him. This might be good, that way you don’t have to protect him and then have an agreement in place to re-sign after the expansion draft.

The talk of giving up Frost, a first round pick plus another player for a defenseman , plus bribing Seattle is crazy. We are potentially looking at a lot of failed first round picks, Patrick,Rubstov, O’Brian, Morin plus an aging nucleus of JVR, G,Jake and Hayes. So as much as we all hate Jake and JVR , we don’t have any young guys that are even close to being ready to replace them. We really can’t afford to give up multiple assets for one defenseman. We have a lot more problems than just needing a defenseman. Even if we got Chris Pronger in his prime, this team has too many holes. I would rather be selling  at the deadline , we need to unload one of the bloated contracts and gear up for next year. We are not legit Cup contenders, weak defense , piss poor special teams , inconsistent offense with no creativity , no real leadership and most of all, a lack of mental fortitude. The sooner we move in from the core , the sooner the revamping can start.  We would be smart to shop Coots, he is the only player we have that can bring back a big return, that’s the quickest way you are gonna rebuild this team. We aren’t getting anything for our underachieving, overpaid veterans like G, JVR or Hayes.

I was ALWAYS in Cooter's camp, wanting to wait him out but if people viewed him like I do Patrick....I TOTALLY get it.  I haven't seen ANYTHING from him that shows he deserved to be picked #2 overall.

Having said that, if you can get a great piece back for him, do it but I would give the kid ONE more chance, one more offseason to come back next year and look like he belongs....shite has been odd these past few seasons for him.  Hopefully it's been bad luck and not bad player.

• Good Post 1