Possible Trade: Mattias Ekholm

Digityman

Just now, mojo1917 said:

@RonJeremy

So you're saying, as long as guys are spearing dudes, slew footing, face washing in scrums and ultimately getting worked by Drew Doughty it's okay that they play for losing teams?

If NAK would just be less disciplined and score a little more he's your guy? 

No matter the team's result?

No , what I am saying is putting in an effort and playing with fire ,showing some emotion .Of course you can’t take stupid penalties all the time, but I would rather have a player who gets a penalty for retaliation or on a hard hit, then a lazy penalty like hooking because you play like a wuss. I use the Tkachuks as an example of playing a rugged style but also having skill. If there are other players who take less penalties, then , fine let’s get them. We have had a number of our players roughed up  in the past 10 games no one responded. It’s pathetic when  guys like Laughton and Farabee  are trying to protect our players and fighting against huge guys.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have told you how to get one. You just don't want to pay the price.

:BrownBag:

We need several, all I’m saying is it doesn’t necessarily have to be done at the deadline, it can be done in the offseason, but it certainly has to be done.

59 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This is horseshit.

There is nothing wrong with having laid back players, and quiet guys, but you gotta have some fiery leaders who can rally the troops and motivate the other guys when they lose their confidence . If not by direct words, then by his actions on the ice. Bobby Clarke would never have tolerated the efforts of a lot of our guys.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

If NAK would just be less disciplined and score a little more he's your guy? 

No matter the team's result?

YES! YES! YES!

I want a team with Mel Brigman centering, Behn Wilson and Ray Emery (RIP)

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Those teams  losing is not the point, it’s the effort that is put forth by the Tkachuck brothers, the tenacity they show. It’s the way they play the game. So put that in your meat pipe and smoke it.

You mean like diving, hitting guys who aren't looking, crosschecking players in the back and turtling? Cause that's also what they show. 

I'd rather have  Couturier on my team. And he is. And we're still where we are. And their teams are still below us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You mean like diving, hitting guys who aren't looking, crosschecking players in the back and turtling? Cause that's also what they show. 

I'd rather have  Couturier on my team. And he is. And we're still where we are. And their teams are still below us.

Couturier or not, this team is still not balanced or physically tough enough for a serious Cup run. Did you see last night when Brock Nelson swatted away Konecny like he was a fly. We need bigger ,stronger and more physical players. Little guys like Konecny and Laughton should not be the ones standing up for our players. And yes I would love  to see some of our guys hitting someone who isn’t looking , instead of watching our guys get pushed around every night.

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

We need bigger ,stronger and more physical players. 

Sure so how do we acquire these players?

Any trades you're suggesting?

Or if they drafted them well it could be about 5 or 6 years before we know we're they are at.

By then Coots will be 34.

Hart 28. Time is a wasting.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Or if they drafted them well it could be about 5 or 6 years before we know we're they are at.

I don't think Allison or Ratcliffe are that far away. Laczynski also has good size and his advanced numbers have been superb despite the Morin behind the bench in Lehigh Valley. Wisdom is also showing that he's got very good upside and might be ready sooner than anticipated.  Forester might take two to three years,  but his wait might be well worth it. 

Right now, from the big club,  there's only a handful of players that are untouchable. Couturier,  Farabee, Konecny, Provorov and Hart are the only guys I keep from the big club.  Everyone else is fair game and ago players with NMCs will be asked for a list of places that they would consider being traded to and if they choose not to waive,  terminate their contracts. The value brought back in having that money off the cap would be immeasurable and a good way to start a proper rebuild of this club. 

• Like 1

So we suck right now, can't acquire players to help, have no immediate players in the system, our goalie in spiraling out of control and by the time its all possibly fixed, Coots will be too old to be good

Does that sum it up?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Couturier or not, this team is still not balanced or physically tough enough for a serious Cup run. Did you see last night when Brock Nelson swatted away Konecny like he was a fly. We need bigger ,stronger and more physical players. Little guys like Konecny and Laughton should not be the ones standing up for our players. And yes I would love  to see some of our guys hitting someone who isn’t looking , instead of watching our guys get pushed around every night.

You know who won the last cup, right? They weren't the Broad Street Bullies. They had skill and speed. That's whats winning hockey these days. 

Sure the Tkachuks hit. But their teams aren't playoff teams. Having a guy running around out of position trying to throw a hit...we may as well of kept Gudas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

We did draft some big power wingers, Ratcliffe,  Wisdom Allison , Laczynski and Foerester. The best part is they are skilled, most have a shoot first mentality. The bad part is ,with the  constant COVID stoppages the past two seasons and the injuries their progress has been delayed. If we could get a full season and a long playoff run in the AHL, then maybe a couple of them would be would be NHL ready next year. I would love to see some trades made to improve the team, but we don’t have much cap space, we have four big contracts , and will be lucky if we can unload one. With the flat cap it seems most teams are handcuffed to make deals. There really is no quick solution. I fear we have another couple of years of mediocrity as the core gets older and less productive.

I believe after next season there are a number of high quality UFAs that will be available, that might be a quick way to improve the team but we have to unload salary to be in a position to sign someone. It’s gotta be a Panarin type of skill added to the team not another Hayes who is basically Coots lite. Of course the framework has to be set in motion this season. Somehow we have to unload one big contract, JVR is the most marketable right now, then we have to pray Seattle takes Jake and don’t re-sign G . Then you can make some moves. 

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You know who won the last cup, right? They weren't the Broad Street Bullies. They had skill and speed. That's whats winning hockey these days. 

Sure the Tkachuks hit. But their teams aren't playoff teams. Having a guy running around out of position trying to throw a hit...we may as well of kept Gudas. 

Do you remember Tampa being manhandled until they went out and got two big players Maroon and Goodrow and added the missing physical element to their team, which helped them win the Cup . I never said to go out and get Dan Carrillo and Moose DuPont and be the Broad St Bullies. I said to get some fiery players with size and skill or even a Max Domi type a small guy that plays big. Yes, Tampa has speed and skill, but they added the missing element to be a more COMPLETE team. 

We do not have alot of speedy skilled players, we have a few ,  so since we can’t magically get more skill and be as talented as Tampa, we need to work with what we have and build a more balanced team that can compete and play hard every night. This is really  the only way when you pick later in the draft every year and your not picking in the top 2 and getting franchise players.

Another thing is, the Flyers always pass on the highly skilled finesse guys and go for the two way player like passing on Cole Caufiled for example and when we picked Rubstov over Bellows and a few other offensive style guys. Bellows is at least in the NHL while Rubstov is sucking in the KHL.

Old time Flyers teams won mostly by out working the other teams, we were never the most skilled team, but we showed up every night, which our modern day teams never do.

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

So we suck right now, can't acquire players to help, have no immediate players in the system, our goalie in spiraling out of control and by the time its all possibly fixed, Coots will be too old to be good

Does that sum it up?

and we are pu$$iies 

18 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Our players are like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket.

Just want to point out that "whipping him into shape" ended two people's lives, including the drill sergeant's. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Just want to point out that "whipping him into shape" ended two people's lives, including the drill sergeant's. 

Ok,  the Sargeant went a little overboard , telling Pyle his ass looked like 200 lbs of chewed bubblegum was the final straw.

• Haha 1

@RonJeremy

There is a lot of "lore" around the making of that movie.

One of my favorite stories; is the scene during the rooftop underfire  in Hue.  Kubric kept doing  take, after take, after take. The scene had all kinds of explosions to set for, a lot of moving parts...

On take 30 something one of the actor's says to another actor, "what is he looking for?"- Kubric sticks his head out from behind the camera and tells him "better acting".

It was a 3 million dollar scene that took about 20 seconds on screen. 

There is a lot of "lore" around all of Kubric's movies. 

He was a strange ranger.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

One of my favorite stories; is the scene during the rooftop underfire  in Hue.  Kubric kept doing  take, after take, after take. The scene had all kinds of explosions to set for, a lot of moving parts...

On take 30 something one of the actor's says to another actor, "what is he looking for?"- Kubric sticks his head out from behind the camera and tells him "better acting".

It was a 3 million dollar scene that took about 20 seconds on screen.

ha ha ha .... this sounds like our Flyers!

6 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Do you remember Tampa being manhandled until they went out and got two big players Maroon and Goodrow and added the missing physical element to their team, which helped them win the Cup . I never said to go out and get Dan Carrillo and Moose DuPont and be the Broad St Bullies. I said to get some fiery players with size and skill or even a Max Domi type a small guy that plays big. Yes, Tampa has speed and skill, but they added the missing element to be a more COMPLETE team. 

Maroon was drafted by Philly. he was kicked off the Phantoms cause he was such an asshole. Not traded. Booted out. 

Max Domi was probably the Montreal Canadiens worst player when we played them last postseason. They totally outplayed us but somehow we won. Except Domi...we totally outplayed him. 

We do not have alot of speedy skilled players, we have a few ,  so since we can’t magically get more skill and be as talented as Tampa, we need to work with what we have and build a more balanced team that can compete and play hard every night. This is really  the only way when you pick later in the draft every year and your not picking in the top 2 and getting franchise players.

I agree our players need to play harder. I don't know what happened from a year ago when the Flyers seemed to be putting it together (not saying they were cup bound, but they were definitely going in the right direction) to this sad excuse for a team. Guys like Konecny/Sanheim/Myers/Hart/Patrick/Ghost/Provorov etc just aren't this bad...we've seen them be better. 

Another thing is, the Flyers always pass on the highly skilled finesse guys and go for the two way player like passing on Cole Caufiled for example and when we picked Rubstov over Bellows and a few other offensive style guys. Bellows is at least in the NHL while Rubstov is sucking in the KHL.

Konecny is highly skilled. He lead the team in scoring just last season at 23. Giroux was highly skilled. Frost is. Provorov/Sanheim/Ghost and Myers all have above average skill level. I admit to being a little let down with the York pick, but I actually wanted Krebs or Newhook.

Rubstov/Bellows, sure we got that wrong. We can play that game for and against with every team in the league. We took Couturier 3 picks after the Isles took Ryan Strome. We took Laughton 16 picks after the Isles took Griffen Reinhart 4th overall. He of 2 career points. it happens. Caufield looks good...in college. We all know this stuff doesn't always translate.

Old time Flyers teams won mostly by out working the other teams, we were never the most skilled team, but we showed up every night, which our modern day teams never do.

This I agree with 100%. It was something you could always count on. The Flyers never used to get outworked. Now, they almost always do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Maroon was drafted by Philly. he was kicked off the Phantoms cause he was such an asshole. Not traded. Booted out. 

Max Domi was probably the Montreal Canadiens worst player when we played them last postseason. They totally outplayed us but somehow we won. Except Domi...we totally outplayed him. 

I agree our players need to play harder. I don't know what happened from a year ago when the Flyers seemed to be putting it together (not saying they were cup bound, but they were definitely going in the right direction) to this sad excuse for a team. Guys like Konecny/Sanheim/Myers/Hart/Patrick/Ghost/Provorov etc just aren't this bad...we've seen them be better. 

Konecny is highly skilled. He lead the team in scoring just last season at 23. Giroux was highly skilled. Frost is. Provorov/Sanheim/Ghost and Myers all have above average skill level. I admit to being a little let down with the York pick, but I actually wanted Krebs or Newhook.

Rubstov/Bellows, sure we got that wrong. We can play that game for and against with every team in the league. We took Couturier 3 picks after the Isles took Ryan Strome. We took Laughton 16 picks after the Isles took Griffen Reinhart 4th overall. He of 2 career points. it happens. Caufield looks good...in college. We all know this stuff doesn't always translate.

This I agree with 100%. It was something you could always count on. The Flyers never used to get outworked. Now, they almost always do.

One thing on Maroon, he was released for getting into an altercation with Greg Gilbert who was an assistant coach with the Phantoms. It wasn’t much  time after that when Gilbert was fired  for some undisclosed  reason and it was said that he was a total a hole and  had problems with a bunch of players and that the Flyers  made a mistake in releasing Maroon and Gilbert was at fault. Either way Maroon became a solid player and you never heard any bad things about him after that.

OK Max Domi was Montreal’s worst player last year, but Konecny was scoreless in the playoffs last year . It doesn’t mean either guy sucks. If they play that way in every playoff, then that’s a different story.

The Flyers haven’t made many bad draft picks, but it seems they shy away from highly skilled but possibly defensively deficient forwards. Even though we could use some pure offensive guys. MacLeish and Leach were two pure scorers who weren’t that great defensively and sometimes were lazy, but we wouldn’t have won the Cups without them. In the years we drafted Provorov and Sanheim we were in desperate need of defenseman , but if we were drafting forwards, I don’t think we would have picked Barzal or Pastranuk because they might be considered one dimensional , all offense type of players. I just wish we would go for a big gun for a change, we would have also  been the team to pick a guy like Doug Wickenheiser over a magician like Dennis Savard, that haunted Montreal for years it’s kinda like us picking Ricci instead of Jagr.  The one time we took a chance in a draft  was Forsberg, the right pick, but we traded him.

• Good Post 2

On 3/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, CoachX said:

ha ha ha .... this sounds like our Flyers!

What about Ryan Ellis instead??? A RH shot to pair with Provorov???

Elliotte Friedman talks about it here flip to the 13 minute part of the pod cast if you would like to listen.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/news-notes-plus-anton-forsbergs-amazing-odyssey/

I would have to say Jake has to go the other way in part of this deal. Must.

You could move his contract and free up 2 mill in cap per season get your #2 D man pair with Ivan and well go from there....just asking a loud...i know Ellis is signed for 6 more years but in my eyes if i don't have to see Jake anymore get a D man to pair on the top pair that is a win win in my eyes.

Will worry about the last 3 years of Ellis contract when we get there.

You would still have to protect him. I would think hard about this one.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You could move his contract and free up 2 mill in cap per season get your #2 D man pair with Ivan and well go from there....just asking a loud...i know Ellis is signed for 6 more years but in my eyes if i don't have to see Jake anymore get a D man to pair on the top pair that is a win win in my eyes.

I don't think this happens with Nashville.  They're trying to dump salary, so that doesn't help.  However, Chicago seems willing to be the money-launderer, so figure out a way to do this through Chicago where they take him and at least most of his salary and get a pick or prospect from us and Nashville gets a prospect/pick or someone like Patrick.